Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    infinitely? ne_nau.gif I know a little bit about infinity, but I'm not sure how the concept applies here.

Fine, be difficult. I think the daily builds are bad idea in this case.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Safari 3.1 is out today, in its hot shiny newness.

You can grab it from www.apple.com/safari (it requires a reboot headscratch.gif).

May not fix anything but it's worth a try. I've been running the pre-releases for a couple months (some had issues, but those are largely fixed now).
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Safari 3.1 is out today, in its hot shiny newness.

You can grab it from www.apple.com/safari (it requires a reboot headscratch.gif).

May not fix anything but it's worth a try. I've been running the pre-releases for a couple months (some had issues, but those are largely fixed now).
    Gus, do a software update and see if safari 3.1 solves your issues before you work with the nightlies. deal.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    yeah, thats it. Did you already have it? It would show up in your System Preferences pane, not under applications.

ok ..he loaded that & he still cant watch the videos...odd because i can & i have flip4mac. The mac in the shop where we both bought our macs can play it also.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 18, 2008
    gus wrote:
    ok ..he loaded that & he still cant watch the videos...odd because i can & i have flip4mac. The mac in the shop where we both bought our macs can play it also.
    Are you trying to watch .avi files? If so, I've found some that will play fine but
    no sound. And some that just won't play.

I've installed codec's and upgraded flip4mac, blah...blah. Still no good.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Are you trying to watch .avi files? If so, I've found some that will play fine but
    no sound. And some that just won't play.

I've installed codec's and upgraded flip4mac, blah...blah. Still no good.

perian?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 18, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I'm inclined to say its an ISP issue. Only way to really rule that out is to plug his iMac in at your house (or some location where this video feed works).
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    Any MacBook Air owners out there? This is just stupid.

MacBook Air stumps TSA Agents

Kind of reminds me what happened on my last trip; I travel with a work Lenovo and my personnel MacBook Pro. I got stopped and asked extra questions cause the fact that I had two laptops. It wasn't the fact that I had two laptops, it was that they were "incompatible" I am sure it also had nothing to do with the network cables, network switch, camera, external hard drive, 2 iPods... well you get the idea. And these were in my carry on.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Only way to really rule that out is to plug his iMac in at your house (or some location where this video feed works).
    That test would be best. I am going to get him to try http://perian.org/ first though.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm inclined to say its an ISP issue. Only way to really rule that out is to plug his iMac in at your house (or some location where this video feed works).
    Hey also he wants an 'easy to set up' wireless router...what was your brand ? After the issues with mine i told him to steer clear of it.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 19, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Hey also he wants an 'easy to set up' wireless router...what was your brand ? After the issues with mine i told him to steer clear of it.
    Linksys and Netgear are my favorites, currently have the Netgear as it was a bit cheaper.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 20, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Linksys and Netgear are my favorites, currently have the Netgear as it was a bit cheaper.
    I've had nothing but trouble with the 2 linksys routers i've owned. first died and second would randomly reboot.

I have a Airport Extreme now. My netgear gigabit switch has been solid as well.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    The new Airport Express is 802.11n, and pretty nifty.

If you're looking for ease of use, I don't think it gets any easier than that.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    The new Airport Express is 802.11n, and pretty nifty.

If you're looking for ease of use, I don't think it gets any easier than that.

I actually just bought one today.

Relatively cheap, easy to configure, the size of a mac power adapter, and I got my printer and a pair of speakers hooked up to it (wireless printer & wireless iTunes). :D
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    I actually just bought one today.

Relatively cheap, easy to configure, the size of a mac power adapter, and I got my printer and a pair of speakers hooked up to it (wireless printer & wireless iTunes). :D

Yup. I have one of the old, g ones. Range isn't as great as the Extreme, and you can't have as many computers running through it, but it's pretty dang cool. AirTunes is awesome.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    Beware of inexpesive routers with DHCP as they do not always react as expected. This one is probably in the weeds but it did bite me while doing some network troubleshooting at work. The less expensive routers with the integrated DHCP server do not always release the lease that has been assigned to a computer attached to it. Typically not a problem. However when you are troubleshooting and restarting two or three computers frequently, that lack of release was causing the DHCP server to run out of addresses. So an IP address would not be assigned to the computer.

I have not done any testing with the Airport (work is PC based) but the "big 3" low cost brands - D-Link, Linksys, Netgear all had the same problem. Easiest fix, cycle power. Other option to go into the admin console on the router and clear out the inactive addresses.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    I have not done any testing with the Airport (work is PC based) but the "big 3" low cost brands - D-Link, Linksys, Netgear all had the same problem. Easiest fix, cycle power. Other option to go into the admin console on the router and clear out the inactive addresses.
    All the airports work fine with pc or mac.

Granted the airport express allows only 10 connections, the airport and time capsule allow 50, and I think my old linksys allows 256 (I don't think I'll ever have more than 10 computers in my house).

I haven't configured a linksys or netgear wifi router in over a year, but assuming they haven't changed much in how you configure them, the airport is far easier to configure (however that was configuring it on a mac, not a pc; pc experience might be different).
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    All the airports work fine with pc or mac.

Granted the airport express allows only 10 connections, the airport and time capsule allow 50, and I think my old linksys allows 256 (I don't think I'll ever have more than 10 computers in my house).

I haven't configured a linksys or netgear wifi router in over a year, but assuming they haven't changed much in how you configure them, the airport is far easier to configure (however that was configuring it on a mac, not a pc; pc experience might be different).

Why i was asking for is that i bought a D-link a while back when i was a PC'er & Doc had a cow of a time setting it up wireless for me on the mac (we ended up using a mac address)

I dont care about performance or if its made from the left over space dust of a comet...i just want easy. Its for a friend that i have just converted over to the light or as i call it...i macafied him.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Why i was asking for is that i bought a D-link a while back when i was a PC'er & Doc had a cow of a time setting it up wireless for me on the mac (we ended up using a mac address)...i just want easy.

I have set up D-Link, Linksys, Apple, and the Netgear and Qwest routers of friends. I guess maybe the Apple Airport line might be the easiest because they do their own thing to try and make it easier. But Apple is more expensive, of course. Most of the other brands seem to have the same browser-based control panel with ALL of the options laid out to intimidate, or an oversimplifying wizard. If you want anything other than out-of-the-box DHCP with no encryption, you will have to dive in no matter what brand, because those are more about networking protocols than router brands. Actually, that is the ultimate advice right there: If you can familiarize yourself with the common, brand-independent basics of IP addresses, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, security, LAN setup, and WAN setup, you can basically set up any router almost without the manual. If you aren't comfortable with all the networking concepts (like most people), all routers may seem difficult.

For reliability, I don't even know if you can choose by brand. It seems like all the cheap routers are built to be just that...cheap. If you go to the hardware forums on dslreports.com, for example, you go into the Linksys forums and posts say "I'm done with Linksys junk...moving on to Netgear!!!" Then if you go to the Netgear forums they say "After my Netgear died after a week, I got a Linksys and never looked back."

My D-Link router has been fairly solid, but I also have another D-Link wireless accessory and a USB hub from them and those last
    two were such disasters for me that they have just about put me off of D-Link forever. But if I had only bought the router, I would have recommended D-Link. That's how it is. All the consumer brands are cheap. You just have to get lucky.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    But Apple is more expensive, of course.

I'm not so sure about that. Doing a very quick search, all the wireless access points that support 802.11n were more expensive than the airport express.
    Andrew

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Actually, you are right, things are changing there. I always thought Apple access points were way overpriced. But the current Airport Extreme n is competitively priced, partly because other brands are charging a premium for n, but also because Apple has added features like Time Machine backup that others won't support.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Macbook pro advice
    I am going to restore my Sony laptop and then sell it to save up for a macbook pro.

As a mainly PC user what should I look out for in one? Right now I am looking at Apple's refurb store for a decent priced one. I Am still gonna use my PC desktop for a lot of things.

Are there other places I should look that might have a good deal on a fairly priced macbook pro? Is a 2 gig ram MACbook pro good? And would I be able to upgrade the RAM?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Sometimes B&H and other such places have refurb/secondhand equipment too. I believe the MAcBook Pro maxes at 4GB Ram.

I use a 2GB MacBook and it is fine. THe Pro woud be better.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
    Buy the minimum amount of RAM, and then upgrade through crucial.com.

Nothing to look out for, really, except maybe if you get a refurb, make sure it has 802.11n, not g. thumb.gif.

Oh, and I'm going to move this to the Mac advice thread.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
    Regarding the number of concurrent computers, most of the routers have an interface that will allow one to setup the number of DHCP client's allowed. I can go into how this is all configured if you want, but suffice it to say that the Apple, the D-Link, the Netgear, the Linksys can all be set up to serve more or less addresses if desired.

The one thing I really like about Apple is the it uses a 10.0.1.x by default instead of the 192.168.1.x that most other routers use.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    I am going to restore my Sony laptop and then sell it to save up for a macbook pro.

As a mainly PC user what should I look out for in one? Right now I am looking at Apple's refurb store for a decent priced one. I Am still gonna use my PC desktop for a lot of things.

Are there other places I should look that might have a good deal on a fairly priced macbook pro? Is a 2 gig ram MACbook pro good? And would I be able to upgrade the RAM?

Personally, I'd stay away from a refurbished Mac. I worked as a Mac Genius for a number of years, and it seemed that refurbished computers tended to give more headaches than they were worth. If you're looking for a deal, go to the Apple Store and see if they have any "refreshed" computers. Refreshed means that a customer bought it but returned it within the first 2 weeks or so, but there was nothing wrong with it. Refurbished means the computer was broken, and then fixed... often fixed with a refurbished part, not a brand new part.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

(and definitely buy as little RAM as possible from Apple and install additional RAM yourself...)
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
    gregneil wrote:
    Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
    You sound like youve seen a few mac's.

How can i simply put a password on my imac. I dont want some CIA encryption or a mini gun to appear over the monitor. I just want it to ask for a password on start up thus i think 'Filevault' is a little over the top.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    gus wrote:
    How can i simply put a password on my imac. I dont want some CIA encryption or a mini gun to appear over the monitor. I just want it to ask for a password on start up thus i think 'Filevault' is a little over the top.

It normally should. But if you're not seeing one then I'll guess you have 'automatic login' enabled. Go into System Preferences (aka, the control panel for reformed windows users). Click on Accounts, then the padlock at the bottom to enable editing (if it's locked). Clikc on Login Options at the bottom of the user list, then set the dropdown box at the top of the options pane to 'Disabled'. Switch back to showing all to apply the change and quit. Now when you reboot the box should present you with a login prompt. (Make sure you know your password before you turn this on. ;) You'll likely also want to enable passwords on the screen saver. Back in the main System Preferences list, open Security, selet the General tab, and ensure "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" is checked. (and now I notice you can disable automatic login here too.)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    gregneil wrote:
    Personally, I'd stay away from a refurbished Mac. I worked as a Mac Genius for a number of years

I've always been curious, what does it take to get that job? Do they give good training before putting a new Genius out at the bar?

I ask because I always seem to end up playing "stump the genius" it seems when I go in to ask them a question. I've actually stopped bothering to ask them questions.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    I'm not so sure about that. Doing a very quick search, all the wireless access points that support 802.11n were more expensive than the airport express.

If all you want is an AP, this one is 1/2 the price of apple's: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156232

I've got one installed and live, just waiting for my N equipped hardware to arrive. (@$##^$%^ fedex has it sitting at their facility < 10 miles from my house since 6:08am Saturday, but they list an expected delivery date of Tuesday morning. If history is any guide, they will not bring it out Monday, and of course they wouldn't let me come over and pick it up today... if I had known it was there already before the office closed at 11:30 this morning.)

Now it is *only* an AP, it's NOT a router. So no dhcp, no nat, no dns, no print server, no hard drives. It's purely an AP that bridges WLANs to ethernet.

EDIT TO ADD: On second thought... you get what you pay for. As soon as I enable N mode on this thing in any way I can't get anything to connect to it: b, g or n. And my new MBP when I drop it back to g mode is almost unusable over it at a distance that was never a problem with my work issue thinkpad and the old access point. (I need to bring home the work thinkpad and try it against this AP still.)