Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    This is a known issue w/ mac/ps browser font renderings. Here's a good article that I think you'd find interesting. It talk about the nuts and bolts, but you strike me as a nuts and bolts kinda guy.

You can even use the same exact font on a mac or PC and see a difference in design applications such as Ps or Il.

It's just the way it is at this point. Font manufacturers are taking cross platform continuity for present and future fonts, but the tens of thousands of fonts that already exist will doubtfully be rendered again as new school fonts since it's just too time consuming and only the "heavies" will most likely be redone.

You can also use stylish in FF to override any fonts or styles ona website.

Check out what my gmail looks like: **this is on a PC, but is very platform independant
    (more about stylish here)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    ok well it is different, and I haven't noticed in other websites so far...

What's your primary browser for the Mac? In FF, you can choose what font your browser gives you, regardless of what the webpage says (if you desire!).
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    What's your primary browser for the Mac? In FF, you can choose what font your browser gives you, regardless of what the webpage says (if you desire!).

well I have had my mac for, lets see....6 hrs now! Laughing.gif

I prefer FF, and suspect it will remain my preference on mac too.

Where do you choose fonts in FF? I see Character Encoding, but that is not fonts, and there is nothing other than "normal, larger, smaller' in the Text style.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    This is a known issue w/ mac/ps browser font renderings. Here's a good article that I think you'd find interesting. It talk about the nuts and bolts, but you strike me as a nuts and bolts kinda guy.
    Very helpful.
    Apple generally believes that the goal of the algorithm should be to preserve the design of the typeface as much as possible, even at the cost of a little bit of blurriness.

Microsoft generally believes that the shape of each letter should be hammered into pixel boundaries to prevent blur and improve readability, even at the cost of not being true to the typeface.

That makes sense, I think I am so used to Cleartype, that small type size looks much better on a PC than a Mac, go figure.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    I know Mac and PC vary drastically on FF settings. But check under the view tab first. If you can't find it, I can tell you how to change it in the config file easy peasy.

My Mac isn't on right now and I'm sure another exclusive Mac user will be happy to help you anyway.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    That makes sense, I think I am so used to Cleartype, that small type size looks much better on a PC than a Mac, go figure.
    Ya, that's the most blatant example of irony I've seen in a long time.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    FYI SloYerRoll: know all about Gmail skins and CSS:

(Better Gmail 2)

281446963_ocbdJ-M.jpg
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Where do you choose fonts in FF? I see Character Encoding, but that is not fonts, and there is nothing other than "normal, larger, smaller' in the Text style.

to force your font choices:
    Firefox -> Preferences...

Content tab

Advanced button

uncheck Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above
    is that what you're looking for?
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Thanks.

My plan is to copy the drive contents (both partitions) to my external hard drive and then do the install. We shall see what happens. I did some RTFM'ing for Entourage before I posted here and it tells you how to restore from a backup... but not real clear on how to create a backup. In Outlook on Windows it is a little clearer and there is even a plugin to do it.

Well after crashing two Windoze machines at work on Friday... I decided to postpone this for another week. One machine was such a bad crash that the IT guys and I decided to go with the Format C: approach and reinstall from scratch. So even though it is a work machine I am still installing stuff and not really wanting to do it twice in the same weekend.

I am thinking about making the jump to Office 2008 at the same time... any comments?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I am thinking about making the jump to Office 2008 at the same time... any comments?
    Yeah. Don't. Office 2008 is a rushed, buggy, heaping pile of crap. I got mine at the ms employee discount and am still ticked off about it.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    OK so my Mac is a refurbished model, and arrived with OS X 10.4 installed. It also shipped with a Leopard disk..10.5. So naturally, I put the Leopard disk in and went ahead with the upgrade, first thing. I haven't done much to configure the Mac yet, but I have put Lightroom on it (this 24" IPS monitor ROCKS!) and my iTunes.

So question: should I have done an erase and install with Leopard instead of an upgrade? It didnt offer that, though I didnt look at any options, so I assume it was there. I don't have alot of stuff on this, and the 10.4 was a virgin install that I installed 10.5 on top of. Any advantages in redoing this before I get well into my configuration?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Is there any patch or what ever that stops leopard crashing in ebay as yet ?

Anyone else got this issue ?
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    OK so my Mac is a refurbished model, and arrived with OS X 10.4 installed. It also shipped with a Leopard disk..10.5. So naturally, I put the Leopard disk in and went ahead with the upgrade, first thing. I haven't done much to configure the Mac yet, but I have put Lightroom on it (this 24" IPS monitor ROCKS!) and my iTunes.

So question: should I have done an erase and install with Leopard instead of an upgrade? It didnt offer that, though I didnt look at any options, so I assume it was there. I don't have alot of stuff on this, and the 10.4 was a virgin install that I installed 10.5 on top of. Any advantages in redoing this before I get well into my configuration?
    Unless you have data that you don't know how to effectively migrate over. No matter what OS it is. It is ALWAYS better to do a fresh install vs an upgrade. Now I'll step aside and let someone more well versed in Leopard weenieness help you out.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Is there any patch or what ever that stops leopard crashing in ebay as yet ?

Anyone else got this issue ?
    Do you mean a browser? If so, which one?
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Do you mean a browser? If so, which one?
    leopard isnt a browser ?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    gus wrote:
    leopard isnt a browser ?
    Leopard is your OS.

Safari or Firefox are your browsers.

Where are you crashing, link?
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Leopard is your OS.

Safari or Firefox are your browsers.

Where are you crashing, link?
    rolleyes1.gif i know computers !

ok safari then. It just randomly crashes with ebay, maybe once or twice in 30 mins. I know of other aussies that have the same issue. I get around it by starting up firefox but really it shouldnt be doing it so i was wondering if there was something obvious that people know about to fix it.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    gus wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif i know computers !

ok safari then. It just randomly crashes with ebay, maybe once or twice in 30 mins. I know of other aussies that have the same issue. I get around it by starting up firefox but really it shouldnt be doing it so i was wondering if there was something obvious that people know about to fix it.
    Sorry Gus, but that is way to vague to be able to help out.

You can probably go into your browser history to see what the last page you visited was. And If you can do that, what you need to do is re-visit that same URL (web page) and see if it crashes your browser again.

Tech stuff you may or may not be interested in: (probably not after I re-read it :D)
    E-bay and other large sites like youtube etc don't even have HTML pages. What happens when you click on a link is that your browser tells the server to go to a link, but that page doesn't exist until the server query's a database (asking that database a series of questions) and the databases answer comes in the form of an HTML page that your browser shows you. This can be done though PHP, CGI, Perl and many other cool languages. While this gives websites that ability to make changes on the fly and seem to magically update data. This makes it much harder to track down a bug since the HTML is dynamically generated. There's no static pages to troubleshoot.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Sorry Gus, but that is way to vague to be able to help out.

You can probably go into your browser history to see what the last page you visited was. And If you can do that, what you need to do is re-visit that same URL (web page) and see if it crashes your browser again.

Tech stuff you may or may not be interested in: (probably not after I re-read it :D)
    E-bay and other large sites like youtube etc don't even have HTML pages. What happens when you click on a link is that your browser tells the server to go to a link, but that page doesn't exist until the server query's a database (asking that database a series of questions) and the databases answer comes in the form of an HTML page that your browser shows you. This can be done though PHP, CGI, Perl and many other cool languages. While this gives websites that ability to make changes on the fly and seem to magically update data. This makes it much harder to track down a bug since the HTML is dynamically generated. There's no static pages to troubleshoot.

I found this on mactalk. Honestly there is no pattern...its totally random & ONLY on ebay. These updates...i have them on automatic. Is that enough or do i need to go somewhere & load a new update ?
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I found this on mactalk. Honestly there is no pattern...its totally random & ONLY on ebay. These updates...i have them on automatic. Is that enough or do i need to go somewhere & load a new update ?
    Sounds like that page has some good answers for you too. Switch to FF ear.gif
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Sounds like that page has some good answers for you too. Switch to FF ear.gif
    I know that...ive been switching to FF for a good while but i would like to see if i can fix the issue. I just dont like FF & think that safari should be able to do the job i paid for it to do.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 19, 2008
    gus wrote:
    ...safari should be able to do the job i paid for it to do.
    a code is a code, is a code... that's just the thing mate, sometimes they just don't work, and ain't much in fixing it.

Kinda like how iChat is supposed to be this wicked video chat app, but only connects about 10% of the time because it requires an absolutely perfect connection with like zero loss. I feel like Safari is similar, works great in perfect conditions, but can't handle wacky stuff, like those crazy dynamic ebay pages.

simple answer: you know more about this than us. doubt there is a magical fix somewhere. if you have auto updates turned on, you can rest assured that there is no "official" fix for Safari.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Unless you have data that you don't know how to effectively migrate over. No matter what OS it is. It is ALWAYS better to do a fresh install vs an upgrade. Now I'll step aside and let someone more well versed in Leopard weenieness help you out.

+1 on that one. Despite the friendliness that it seems to have, Mac OS upgrades have the same amount of challenges as Windows or Linux upgrades. Reinstall.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I know that...ive been switching to FF for a good while but i would like to see if i can fix the issue. I just dont like FF & think that safari should be able to do the job i paid for it to do.

There is a new 3.1 patch out today (at least that is when my machine updated it) I can go through all the problems that I have had with Safari and why I think that Firefox is better; but ultimately it comes down to the code as well. Both of the webpage and of the browser. Both have issues with it. I know that here at DGrin, Safari caused me lots of problems Firefox no problems. The web mail portal for work, Safari works great, Firefox lots of problems. So I just kind of keep track of what works best where, just like what is the right lens for the different application ;)
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    For some reason only steve jobs knows...my mac only sometimes recognises my little USB CF card reader.

Sometimes it appears on the desktop when i plug it in & sometimes it dont. Im currently experiencing a rather long 'Dont'

Exactly where do i look for this card in finder ?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 27, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Exactly where do i look for this card in finder ?
    It'll be under Devices (with your hard drive)

Strange. Have you tried other cards, or is it primarily with one same card in the reader (like, is there one card that you use all the time except for big shoots, I know I do)?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It'll be under Devices (with your hard drive)

Strange. Have you tried other cards, or is it primarily with one same card in the reader (like, is there one card that you use all the time except for big shoots, I know I do)?
    Nup...its no existant...it does it with any card at random. I dont care if it finds it itself or if i have to but nothing pisses me more than a computer randomly screwing about not being able to make its mind up.

So i go to my hard drive & then what ? Do i look for the word Devices ?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 27, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Nup...its no existant...it does it with any card at random. I dont care if it finds it itself or if i have to but nothing pisses me more than a computer randomly screwing about not being able to make its mind up.

So i go to my hard drive & then what ? Do i look for the word Devices ?

No, it is not on the hard drive. It should appear as a separate drive.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    It should appear as a separate drive.

Yes..but where is it im asking ?? What is the direction of search ? Finder is useless.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 27, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Yes..but where is it im asking ?? What is the direction of search ? Finder is useless.

Click on the popup menu in the finder. Then look for the card name. It will probably look something like /dev/diskX