Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    For Thunderbird, the operation is the same, simply copy your profile folder from Windows to Mac, deleting whatever default profile folder the installer puts on the Mac. You may have to set your pop passwords again.

Btw, I actually switched to Apple's Mail.app, I like it better. It also includes a migration tool from Thunderbird under the Import setting. (I did not use it since I use Gmail IMAP, and no 'import" is needed for IMAP)
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Congrats, Richard! Details?

cmason: IMAP FTW! POP sux. Why a service like GoDaddy would not offer IMAP is beyond me. umph.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited July 27, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Congrats, Richard! Details?

cmason: IMAP FTW! POP sux. Why a service like GoDaddy would not offer IMAP is beyond me. umph.gif

Actually, the congrats go to my wife. My daughter and I bought her a Macbook as a birthday present. Me, I just get to be the sysadmin, and it has been quite a while since I did anything with Macs. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    wowhotwowhot Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    does not work
    why does my favico not work. i carnt see it in internet explorer

i had help from andy but it still is not showing

what do i do

help please
    Architectural and Interior Photography
    http://www.whanphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2008
    wowhot wrote:
    why does my favico not work. i carnt see it in internet explorer

i had help from andy but it still is not showing

what do i do

help please

You're running IE on a Mac? Seriously?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    wowhotwowhot Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    You're running IE on a Mac? Seriously?

no ie on a pc
    Architectural and Interior Photography
    http://www.whanphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2008
    A couple of questions for OSX systems guys
    1) Anybody know why the local hostname of a Macbook isn't showing up in the DHCP table of my router? The machine is there and connectivity is fine, but the hostname is blank.

2) In researching the above question, I noticed that TextEdit does not seem to provide access to the Unix system directories. I suppose this is a good thing in most cases, but I am running as admin so I would expect complete access to the file system. I would hate to have to start using vi again after all these years--and don't get me started on emacs gerg.gif

Maybe the more general question is: can I expect to do all my system administration work without leaving the Apple GUI, if only I know where to look? Under what circumstances do you drop down into a Unix shell?

Thx.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    Search isn't my friend this a.m..so I need to ask a stupid question.

I want to check how much memory space I have left, so I can decide on an external drive (or enforcing the 'no itunes on mom's computer' rule).

I thought I should be able to find that with the apple icon top left, but headscratch.gif

Also, I bought this last fall, and still haven't upgraded to the new OS. Should I?

ann
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I want to check how much memory space I have left, so I can decide on an external drive (or enforcing the 'no itunes on mom's computer' rule).

Right click on hard drive icon and choose get info. It should show the drives capacity, available and used hard drive space.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Right click on hard drive icon and choose get info. It should show the drives capacity, available and used hard drive space.

Thank you - exactly what I needed. I am a third full.

Now I need to figure out why my response time while working in LR or Bridge seems to be slow. Don't imagine that is due to lack of free space.

Thanks Patch.

ann
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

Now I need to figure out why my response time while working in LR or Bridge seems to be slow. Don't imagine that is due to lack of free space.

Thanks Patch.

ann

Or, any Finder window will show space available on the current volume. Open a window and click on your drive, look at the bottom.

20080802-xm7759cshnd9wscqfw1w6qr2et.jpg

Also, if you do option-command-i, the Get Info window will persist, and will get info on whatever you click on.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    1) Anybody know why the local hostname of a Macbook isn't showing up in the DHCP table of my router? The machine is there and connectivity is fine, but the hostname is blank.

2) In researching the above question, I noticed that TextEdit does not seem to provide access to the Unix system directories. I suppose this is a good thing in most cases, but I am running as admin so I would expect complete access to the file system. I would hate to have to start using vi again after all these years--and don't get me started on emacs gerg.gif

Maybe the more general question is: can I expect to do all my system administration work without leaving the Apple GUI, if only I know where to look? Under what circumstances do you drop down into a Unix shell?

Thx.

Richard,

I have a hard time helping computer g33ks like you, since you approach the whole thing so differently.

Anyway, you should be able to do everything in the GUI. Unless you're a computer g33k looking to do something the average joe wouldn't, then you can go into terminal and break out your UNIX commands.

You're an admin, not a root user. Root is the all-powerful god who can wreak havoc on your system. If you ever need root, get in, get out and don't go back unless you really need it. Root is dangerous and unecessary. So, don't expect to have all powers as admin.

I don't understand DHCP tables, or your router. But is it that your mac isn't showing up on the network with a name or a label? Are you expecting the mac to provide that? My best guess at what you're asking is System Preferences>Sharing>Computer Name. It should have one, though, by default, so I'm not sure that's really going to help.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Richard,

I have a hard time helping computer g33ks like you, since you approach the whole thing so differently.

Anyway, you should be able to do everything in the GUI. Unless you're a computer g33k looking to do something the average joe wouldn't, then you can go into terminal and break out your UNIX commands.

You're an admin, not a root user. Root is the all-powerful god who can wreak havoc on your system. If you ever need root, get in, get out and don't go back unless you really need it. Root is dangerous and unecessary. So, don't expect to have all powers as admin.

I don't understand DHCP tables, or your router. But is it that your mac isn't showing up on the network with a name or a label? Are you expecting the mac to provide that? My best guess at what you're asking is System Preferences>Sharing>Computer Name. It should have one, though, by default, so I'm not sure that's really going to help.

Yeah, I looked there and it does have a name, but the name is not showing up on the router, though the machine's MAC address and IP address is there. Actually, there is a computer name and a local hostname and they are not the same. Dynamic global hostname is not enabled, and to be honest, I don't know what that does or when one would use it. All my (ahem) Windows machine names show up without me having done anything special on them.

I understand the dangers of root fully, and I'm really not a cowboy (any more:D). So far, the only suggested solution I have found involves editing hosts.config. While that doesn't sound all that scary to me, it just seems like there ought to be a more user friendly way to accomplish it. Guess I'll keep looking.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Yeah, I looked there and it does have a name, but the name is not showing up on the router, though the machine's MAC address and IP address is there. Actually, there is a computer name and a local hostname and they are not the same. Dynamic global hostname is not enabled, and to be honest, I don't know what that does or when one would use it. All my (ahem) Windows machine names show up without me having done anything special on them.

OK, found it. It was in System Preferences->Network->TCP-IP->Advanced.

Onward: Is it possible to lock the contents of the dock? My wife is regularly dragging shortcut icons off the dock by accident and doesn't really grasp how to get them back. It would save me some time. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    OK, found it. It was in System Preferences->Network->TCP-IP->Advanced.

Onward: Is it possible to lock the contents of the dock? My wife is regularly dragging shortcut icons off the dock by accident and doesn't really grasp how to get them back. It would save me some time. rolleyes1.gif

Don't think so. I suppose you could try locking the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist, but that's pretty risky, messing with a preference file like that. There's also a file called com.apple.dock.db that you could try locking, but like I said, it's risky, and unknown territory.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Don't think so. I suppose you could try locking the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist, but that's pretty risky, messing with a preference file like that. There's also a file called com.apple.dock.db that you could try locking, but like I said, it's risky, and unknown territory.

I have read about some file locking tricks, but I don't feel knowledgeable enough about OS-X yet to go around the approved interface to the Apple stuff. If she doesn't get the hang of it soon, I might be able solve the problem by enabling parental controls on her account, as long as the granularity permits locking down the dock without interfering with other stuff. Shhhhh...don't tell her :D.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    I have read about some file locking tricks, but I don't feel knowledgeable enough about OS-X yet to go around the approved interface to the Apple stuff. If she doesn't get the hang of it soon, I might be able solve the problem by enabling parental controls on her account, as long as the granularity permits locking down the dock without interfering with other stuff. Shhhhh...don't tell her :D.

Good idea. I hadn't thought of that.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    Richard wrote:

Admin only gets you complete access to the Macintosh system layers, it does not get you complete access to the Unix under layers. However, you can get to them and make use of them in the Mac layers by way of the terminal. The 'open' command is likely the most useful bridge between the two. You can cd into a normal unix path at the command line (once you gain super user privs with sudo) and use open to open a given file with the default handler. One of my personal favorite uses is
    open .

which will open the current directory in finder.

Thx.

Yes, 99.9% of mac admin work on a 'single node network' can and should be done through the GUI. Many of the places a normal unix nerd would look are only empty shell files anyway... they don't actually have anything in them that the system is using.

I have a console open at all times. I do a lot of work in it. Both on my local system and across the network. But there are really only two times I do any thing really "admin"ish in there:
    1. I'm remotely running software update on the wife's machine via an ssh session.
    2. I'm doing something beyond the normal user expectations, usually, dorking with kernel extension that I've built. The expectation is that kernel modules will be installed via bundles and the system rebooted to pick them up. When you're doing development, that stinks. So I load/unload them from the command line dynamically right out of my build tree.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

Thanks Patch.

ann

It's not your system unfortunately. There are a few threads on the Adobe Forums right now about the speed (or lack thereof) of LR2. It does not seem to be a RAM issue but rather a coding one. This is especially seen with the new local adjustment tools.
    E
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    Admin only gets you complete access to the Macintosh system layers, it does not get you complete access to the Unix under layers. However, you can get to them and make use of them in the Mac layers by way of the terminal.
    Thanks, cabbey. I played around a bit but as far as I can see, there's a wall between Unix and the Mac stuff. For example, in a terminal session, I can cd to / and ls will show /etc, but etc does not show in the Finder when I do open . I then tried sudo open . but the result was the same--Finder shows the Mac stuff and assumes that the rest is none of my business. It's probably right. mwink.gif Anyway, it's not a big deal...I hope to need it seldom. I'll just put on some CSNY and try to feel nostalgic when using vi. {singing} Our house is a very very very fine house... rolleyes1.gif

Oh, yeah...I found out that you can lock the dock using parental controls without necessarily restricting anything else. The only downside I could see is that there seems to be no way of disabling logging altogether on a managed account, though you can limit the log size to 24 hours. I'm guessing that the performance hit of logging is imperceptable, so it seems to be a decent solution for now.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    Providing long distance support.

I'm pretty good at helping others with their Macs, but my mom will soon be relying on me much more in providing her with support. She's smart and quick, but no g33k.

What I'm looking for are ideas on how best to provide support to someone long distance.

Here's what I'm doing already:
    • I'm going to be setting her up on Leopard so that I can do the whole remote desktop thing with her.
    • I'm going to make sure she's doing regular backups via Time Machine to a dedicated drive.
    • I'm going to make sure that her most important files are backed up offsite. I'm open to ideas on what that should look like.

What else should I think about? She's going to be taking over the household finances, which is new to her. Aside from that it will be the normal email, word processing, web surfing stuff. Nothing too tricky.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

I'm pretty good at helping others with their Macs, but my mom will soon be relying on me much more in providing her with support. She's smart and quick, but no g33k.

What I'm looking for are ideas on how best to provide support to someone long distance.

Here's what I'm doing already:
    • I'm going to be setting her up on Leopard so that I can do the whole remote desktop thing with her.
    • I'm going to make sure she's doing regular backups via Time Machine to a dedicated drive.
    • I'm going to make sure that her most important files are backed up offsite. I'm open to ideas on what that should look like.

What else should I think about? She's going to be taking over the household finances, which is new to her. Aside from that it will be the normal email, word processing, web surfing stuff. Nothing too tricky.

Having the remote desktop will make the biggest difference. That will be very key. Additionally, I'd set it up so you can SSH into her machine for fixes that don't require a full user interface. CLI much faster. Just my 2 cents.

Outside of that, patience. My mother is bright, but horribly computer illiterate. She has a lot of trouble with the simplest of concepts, so I set her up with Applecare and their full support package. She's been very happy with that (which makes my life SO much easier). That being said, it's not necessary for someone that you can talk problems through with or show them once and they will at least be able to take notes to reference from in the future.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Additionally, I'd set it up so you can SSH into her machine for fixes that don't require a full user interface. CLI much faster. Just my 2 cents.

I'm good on a Mac, but I truly don't understand what this means. I mean, I get the basic concept, but I have no idea how to implement it or use it. Given my own need for support around it, is it really worth doing? ear.gif

Thanks for the help!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm good on a Mac, but I truly don't understand what this means. I mean, I get the basic concept, but I have no idea how to implement it or use it. Given my own need for support around it, is it really worth doing? ear.gif

Thanks for the help!

:D

This would just be a tool for accessing your mother's computer remotely when you don't want to go through the whole rigamaroll(sp?) of using remote desktop.

Don't know if it would be necessary for you given your lack of experience with it, but if you want to set it up:
    System Preferences -> Sharing
    select "Remote Login" and it will tell you how to access that in the box on the upper right.

Additionally you may need to open port 22 on her router for access (just as you need to open the remote desktop port there).

HTH
    -Trav
    Travis
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Thanks, cabbey. I played around a bit but as far as I can see, there's a wall between Unix and the Mac stuff. For example, in a terminal session, I can cd to / and ls will show /etc, but etc does not show in the Finder when I do open .

cd into /etc, then run open .

;)

OR, just "open /etc"
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

zweiblumen brings up a KEY point that has cost me the better part of the last couple nights. Just because you enable remote access doesn't mean it's going to work. I just sent my mom a new mac mini to replace her old iBook. The old remote access setup hadn't been used since she moved from dialup to dsl, so I'd never noticed that her dsl modem has a nat firewall in it. Remote access is dead at the moment, her address is 192.168.0.2. Ain't that useful.

This weekend we'll be using copilot (it's free on the weekends now) to get her email configured. And I'll likely take a shot at turning the firewall in her dsl modem off too.
  • Options
    Kirk WattsKirk Watts Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    zweiblumen brings up a KEY point that has cost me the better part of the last couple nights. Just because you enable remote access doesn't mean it's going to work. I just sent my mom a new mac mini to replace her old iBook. The old remote access setup hadn't been used since she moved from dialup to dsl, so I'd never noticed that her dsl modem has a nat firewall in it. Remote access is dead at the moment, her address is 192.168.0.2. Ain't that useful.

This weekend we'll be using copilot (it's free on the weekends now) to get her email configured. And I'll likely take a shot at turning the firewall in her dsl modem off too.

Logmein is a great site/tool, it's free (last time I checked), now available for OS X, and allows you to use a web interface. I've had no problems getting it to work through any sort of firewall/NAT either.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008
    Kirk Watts wrote:
    Logmein is a great site/tool, it's free (last time I checked), now available for OS X, and allows you to use a web interface. I've had no problems getting it to work through any sort of firewall/NAT either.

+1 on Logmein Free, works great and I use it on both PCs and Macs
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    I have two internal drives for a PC formatted NTFS. Can I just connect these drives to a MacPro's drive bays (there will be two available bays) to get the data to the pre-installed drives (and then reformat them after copyig the data over)?
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    I have two internal drives for a PC formatted NTFS. Can I just connect these drives to a MacPro's drive bays (there will be two available bays) to get the data to the pre-installed drives (and then reformat them after copyig the data over)?

Should work.
    Moderator Emeritus