Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited March 13, 2010
    DavidTO wrote:
    The iPad falls between the cracks of usefulness. I just don't see any reason for it, whatsoever. A toy, maybe. Something I actually need enough to spend money on? Not at all.

It's for people who either don't need a computer or for people with enough money that they can have real computers as well. I don't fit into either category. If I wanted a toy, I'd much prefer an iPod Touch, which at least fits in your pocket.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    Pupator wrote:
    Anyone else pre-order an iPad? I did - the 32GB wifi version.
    I think Baldy ordered a few...dozen.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    If I wanted a toy, I'd much prefer an iPod Touch, which at least fits in your pocket.
    Get bigger pants.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Did it start after upgrading to Snow Leopard? Long (but not conclusive) thread here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2138946&tstart=0
    Turn on sleep mode and the drive no longer disconnects. Thanks for that post, Richard. thumb.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Get bigger pants.

I hear Apple is teaming up with Banana Republic to come up with a new line featuring iPockets™. rolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    I hear Apple is teaming up with Banana Republic to come up with a new line featuring iPockets™. rolleyes1.gifrofl

Woot!!!

http://www.walyou.com/blog/2010/02/14/ipants-ipad-pants-igotabigasspocket/
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Woot!!!/
    :lol4
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2010
    Meh.

Western Digital 1TB drive is kaput I believe. Power is on, but the drive does not spin-up. Unplugged/replugged - no luck. Power button on back of drive does not turn off the drive at all.

It is under warranty, though. Now - should I get it "repaired/replaced", or simply upgrade. WD has a loyalty program. I can get a 2 TB My Book Studio for $177.00 (and I get to keep the broken drive, too).
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Meh.

Western Digital 1TB drive is kaput I believe. Power is on, but the drive does not spin-up. Unplugged/replugged - no luck. Power button on back of drive does not turn off the drive at all.

It is under warranty, though. Now - should I get it "repaired/replaced", or simply upgrade. WD has a loyalty program. I can get a 2 TB My Book Studio for $177.00 (and I get to keep the broken drive, too).

How old is it? I've returned a couple of WD externals that failed while still in warranty, and in general they have given me larger, nicer replacements for no extra charge. I believe their warranty policy says that they reserve the right to give you something of equal or greater value when returning failed products under warranty.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2010
    How old is it? I've returned a couple of WD externals that failed while still in warranty, and in general they have given me larger, nicer replacements for no extra charge. I believe their warranty policy says that they reserve the right to give you something of equal or greater value when returning failed products under warranty.
    It's still under warranty for another year - so I have a bit of time.

I put it onto my laptop, and it still wouldn't go and wouldn't repair.

Plugged it back on the MAcPro, and zeroed-out the drive (it did, in fact spin-up, but OSX wouldn't recognize the drive). 10 hour later, and resetting the partition, and it seems to be up and running again. clap.gif I'll keep an eye on though. Still, most images are backed up to SmugMug and Backblaze. So loosing the data on this backup was of no real concern.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Plugged it back on the MAcPro, and zeroed-out the drive (it did, in fact spin-up, but OSX wouldn't recognize the drive). 10 hour later, and resetting the partition, and it seems to be up and running again. clap.gif I'll keep an eye on though. Still, most images are backed up to SmugMug and Backblaze. So loosing the data on this backup was of no real concern.
    David,
    I would be wary--disk drives don't often get over damage the way we get over colds. While it's possible that a stray cosmic ray flipped a bit in some key table (a freak event) it's more likely that the controller is faulty.

Western Digital drives usually ship with a manufacturer's diagnostic program. If you don't have it, you can download it from WD's Web site (which is pretty good, BTW). I would strongly recommend that if it passes the SMART test, you run the full-blown torture test. It will probably take all night to complete, but it may save you grief in the future.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    David,
    I would be wary--disk drives don't often get over damage the way we get over colds. While it's possible that a stray cosmic ray flipped a bit in some key table (a freak event) it's more likely that the controller is faulty.

Western Digital drives usually ship with a manufacturer's diagnostic program. If you don't have it, you can download it from WD's Web site (which is pretty good, BTW). I would strongly recommend that if it passes the SMART test, you run the full-blown torture test. It will probably take all night to complete, but it may save you grief in the future.
    Well, disconnected on me today. Got an RMA number, and a new drive is being shipped to me soon.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Well, disconnected on me today. Got an RMA number, and a new drive is being shipped to me soon.

Let us know if you get a bigger/better HD in exchange.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2010
    Let us know if you get a bigger/better HD in exchange.
    Bigger/better - no. Looks like the shipping invoice is for the same unit. Should be here in a few days.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Bigger/better - no. Looks like the shipping invoice is for the same unit. Should be here in a few days.

Ah well...worth a try, anyway. :D
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    Now - should I drop some $$ and get an eSATA card for the MacPro? I have used Firewire and USB to hook the external drive, but not eSATA (which the bad drive had, and the new drive will have, too).
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Now - should I drop some $$ and get an eSATA card for the MacPro? I have used Firewire and USB to hook the external drive, but not eSATA (which the bad drive had, and the new drive will have, too).

Well, it all depends on what you want to do with the external drive. If it's only for backups, you probably don't need that much speed, assuming you're running them at 0 dark hundred. OTOH, with eSATA, you could use the external drive for PS swap space. If you don't have two internal drives--and you're hitting the swap drive often--this would give you a nice performance boost. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Well, it all depends on what you want to do with the external drive. If it's only for backups, you probably don't need that much speed, assuming you're running them at 0 dark hundred. OTOH, with eSATA, you could use the external drive for PS swap space. If you don't have two internal drives--and you're hitting the swap drive often--this would give you a nice performance boost. ne_nau.gif
    Time Machine is the primary use for the one external drive I have - and it runs every hour. I may get additional drives later on for additional storage. All data is also backup to BackBlaze, too (at 1:00am).
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    New drive is up and running, and Time Machine is doing its thing again. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    iPad - Now with Cool Vest
    Should go well with the BagAssPocket pants.

http://consumerist.com/2010/04/giant-pocket-now-available-for-your-ipad.html
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:

I've been saying for a long time that you can't do satire anymore, because reality will trump you every time. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    Mock the iPad all you want fellas. It's here, and it's awesome.

Now the clothing line... ;)
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    Pupator wrote:
    Now the clothing line... ;)
    ...waiting for a photo of you with your iPad and the BigAssPants/BigPocketVest ensemble. :D:D:D
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    ...waiting for a photo of you with your iPad and the BigAssPants/BigPocketVest ensemble. :D:D:D

Lol. Probably not any time soon.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    Anyone got one yet?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2010
    Anyone got one yet?