Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Powerbook attach to G5
    Why can't I use my 15" powerbook as a 2nd display on my G5? Why?

Why?

Come on.... someone must have a way to do this? :D
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Why can't I use my 15" powerbook as a 2nd display on my G5? Why?

Why?

Come on.... someone must have a way to do this? :D

Probably for the same sort of reason the smugmug doesn't offer a journal style with variable sized images.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    I give up. The OS X world is ahead of smugmug in providing features.

http://www.abyssoft.com/software/teleport/

Tell us if it works.

Found by googling for "powerbook as a second monitor" and then maxvista "os x".
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I give up. The OS X world is ahead of smugmug in providing features.

http://www.abyssoft.com/software/teleport/

Tell us if it works.

Found by googling for "powerbook as a second monitor" and then maxvista "os x".

That looks to be a very cool little app, but not what Andy wants. He wants his powerbook to be a passive monitor for his G5. This app looks to be a way to switch easily between computers, but when he's working on his powerbook, he'll be working on his powerbook, not his G5, like he wants to.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    That looks to be a very cool little app, but not what Andy wants. He wants his powerbook to be a passive monitor for his G5. This app looks to be a way to switch easily between computers, but when he's working on his powerbook, he'll be working on his powerbook, not his G5, like he wants to.

I'm glad I have you to vet Rutt's spurious advice for me, David. Rutt, just for that, I'm giving you a *special* version of Journal Style -

Monday, it has 6 pics per page.
    Tuesday, 3
    Wednesday, 7
    and so on

Don't try to figure it out, it's random.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Oh good! Andy's feature request is restored to it's place as being at least as marginal as my variable sized image journal style.

Should have just let my original unbearably smug post stand instead of trying to be so truthful and all.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Oh good! Andy's feature request is restored to it's place as being at least as marginal as my variable sized image journal style.

Should have just let my original unbearably smug post stand instead of trying to be so truthful and all.

Doesn't it so completely suck when you don't get what you want?
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Doesn't it so completely suck when you don't get what you want?

Man, I wish I'd said that! That goes way beyond an instand ARQG classic. Hello! Bartlett's?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    all is going well
    wifi, internet, email up and running, connected and formatted 2 external hd's, transferred my pix (all 25300 of them), calibrated the monitor, taken weird pix of me.... and still haven't had to RTFM.
    I like it!

Can't get used to the funny mouse thing though.....
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    and still haven't had to RTFM.

They actually have a "manual?" I never knew! The other side is great, eh Gubbs?

Get yourself a wireless two-button mouse from Logitech. I use one on all my Macs.

deal.gif
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    two-button mouse

Say what? The innovation never stops! What else will they come up with?
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    The other side is great, eh Gubbs?

Yep, 15524779-Ti.gif....even the the packing is cool, and everything just works.
    e.g. setting up our email accts, just had to enter the address, does the rest itself :):

even so... I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks, it's going to take a few days to get up to speed after 20+ years on windows
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    Yep, 15524779-Ti.gif....even the the packing is cool, and everything just works.

That new iMac really does look awfully sweet. I'll keep tuned to your reports on it.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    You don't even need any special mouse. Any generic 3 button USB mouse will work and work great. The extra buttons do great stuff; a lot of your finger habbits will just work.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    I haven't actually used it much yet, been too busy transferring all the data over. I did manage a couple of pix last night and first impressions were that photoshop runs slower than on my P4 3.2 1gb ram pc, (more noticeable when using USM & noise ninja) very useable though. I 'll do the ps test later and post up the results.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    You don't even need any special mouse. Any generic 3 button USB mouse will work and work great. The extra buttons do great stuff; a lot of your finger habbits will just work.

I realized that I should add one caveat. Don't get a microsoft mouse. I made that mistake and it needed a special driver and I couldn't get the middle-mouse button to work properly with some software. A cheap Chineese generic mouse worked much better.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I realized that I should add one caveat. Don't get a microsoft mouse. I made that mistake and it needed a special driver and I couldn't get the middle-mouse button to work properly with some software. A cheap Chineese generic mouse worked much better.

I've never had much luck with the quality of Microsoft's mice anyway (though their keyboards seem to be ok). Logitech's stuff lasts a lot longer.

I use a trackball for most things, it has better ergonomics, but for photoshop you want something else. I think a tablet is still better than a mouse.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Get a Wacom. Although there's a cord running to the tablet, the mouse is wireless, plus you'll have the use of the stylus. Good times.

Let us know more about your PS experiences. Running through emulation it makes sense that it'll be a little slow. I have no idea when Adobe is going to be releasing the Universal Binary version. Don't forget, they have to do the whole dang suite. That's a LOT of work.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Get a Wacom. Although there's a cord running to the tablet, the mouse is wireless, plus you'll have the use of the stylus. Good times.

The wacom mouse sucks. I have two of them (a little graphire and a big intuos) and they both have lousy mice. But the tablets are great.

jim
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    connected and formatted 2 external hd's
    headscratch.gif You have to format your external drives? Since when?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    headscratch.gif You have to format your external drives? Since when?

When he switched them from Peecee to MAC. It's a onetime thingie. You wouldn't understand lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    When he switched them from Peecee to MAC. It's a onetime thingie. You wouldn't understand lol3.gif
    sorry to it say Sid, but andy is correct :D
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    e.g. setting up our email accts, just had to enter the address, does the rest itself :):

even so... I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks, it's going to take a few days to get up to speed after 20+ years on windows

Gubbs,

One of my favorite things in this world is unpacking an Apple product. The smell, the design, the way they think things out. As much as I want to rip it open and get the thing out, I take my time, slow down and savor every moment.

I think my wife gets jealous sometimes....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    One of my favorite things in this world is unpacking an Apple product. The smell, the design, the way they think things out. As much as I want to rip it open and get the thing out, I take my time, slow down and savor every moment.

I admit that some of Apple's packing jobs leave me aghast at how much thought went into the package.

But when the Quad came the packaging was secondary to "how the heck am I going to lift this tank out of here?"
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    I admit that some of Apple's packing jobs leave me aghast at how much thought went into the package.

But when the Quad came the packaging was secondary to "how the heck am I going to lift this tank out of here?"

What amazed me, was the size difference in the packaging from the G5 dual I bought a year ago, and the G5 quad last month - same size computer, packaging cut by half. Steve cares about the environment, yay.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think my wife gets jealous sometimes....

Maybe she can't reach apple-gasm? (yeah the pics are gone)
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Maybe she can't reach apple-gasm? (yeah the pics are gone)

I think she just wishes I would take as long undressing her....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think she just wishes I would take as long undressing her....

Are we up to TMI yet?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Are we up to TMI yet?

wife=sexy

rutt in bathtub reading his owner's manual = :puke

N.B for Rutt: that's an animated smiley. Yes, ANIMATED. And I used it. So shoot me.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    mactel
    There's been a lot of interest about photoshop running on rosetta so I just did the test that andy mentioned here

intel imac 20" 2ghz dual core 1gb ram - 1m 22sec
    I'm waiting for another 1gb, I'll retest when it arrives