Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    There's been a lot of interest about photoshop running on rosetta so I just did the test that andy mentioned here

intel imac 20" 2ghz dual core 1gb ram - 1m 22sec
    I'm waiting for another 1gb, I'll retest when it arrives

RAM must be matched pairs! I mean, it'll work otherwise, but you'll have a performance issue if you don't match them.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    RAM must be matched pairs! I mean, it'll work otherwise, but you'll have a performance issue if you don't match them.

headscratch.gif have I screwed up? I told the guy at apple I was buying the second gb from crucial, he replied "that's the only ram we'd recommend"
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    gubbs wrote:
    headscratch.gif have I screwed up? I told the guy at apple I was buying the second gb from crucial, he replied "that's the only ram we'd recommend"

No, Crucial's fine. Great. Go for it.

They need to match in size.

It's got 512m, so either get another 512 or two 1gb sticks.

The story I heard about the new iMac Duos is that for some apps you won't notice a difference if the RAM is not matched, for others the difference will be significant.

Read here, start at Jan. 21
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    No, Crucial's fine. Great. Go for it.

They need to match in size.

It's got 512m, so either get another 512 or two 1gb sticks.

The story I heard about the new iMac Duos is that for some apps you won't notice a difference if the RAM is not matched, for others the difference will be significant.

Read here, start at Jan. 21

Phew! I already got apple to uprade it from a 1x 512kb to a 1x1gb module :D being the tight-arse I am I ordered the other from crucial!
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    wife=sexy

rutt in bathtub reading his owner's manual = :puke

N.B for Rutt: that's an animated smiley. Yes, ANIMATED. And I used it. So shoot me.

wife=sexy, OK, I don't know her, but I can buy that. David equating opening Apple box with undressing wife? Something wrong there.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    wife=sexy, OK, I don't know her, but I can buy that. David equating opening Apple box with undressing wife? Something wrong there.

No, what I'm saying is that she wishes I went as slow with her as I do with unpacking my Apples. :uhoh
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    No, what I'm saying is that she wishes I went as slow with her as I do with unpacking my Apples. :uhoh

You starting to get a glimmer of what I was getting at when I said it was TMI?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    You starting to get a glimmer of what I was getting at when I said it was TMI?

I was thinking of having a party when I open my MacBook.
    if i keep it on order...
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    rolleyes1.gif
    So I suppose you'd say TMI if I pointed out that my wife walked out of the room five minutes after I started unpacking my quad, calling over her shoulder, "lemme know when you finally get it up"?

As jimf pointed out, my first question after hauling the box down stairs was "how am I going to get this thing out without killing my back?". Thankfully the packaging was designed almost as well as the system, so it came out quite easily.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Maybe she can't reach apple-gasm? (yeah the pics are gone)

you mean like this happy apple?
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    jvainjvain Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 31, 2006
    It's a Mac World
    DavidTO wrote:
    I got iWork yesterday. Pages is amazing.

Hey Guy's ... Several months back I purchased a G5 high powered an all, love my Mac after years Win PC's (Word), seems like every three years I had to chuck it and buy a new computer. I really do miss Words, MS Publisher, Homestead for websites, Lumapix, etc. Now its, iWorks, and ithis and ithat, for the life of me can not get used to Pages totaly Greek to me, no offense to our Greek members. But I totally love Lightroom.

Anyhow Andy you'll love your Mac!
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    jvain wrote:
    Hey Guy's ... Several months back I purchased a G5 high powered an all, love my Mac after years Win PC's (Word), seems like every three years I had to chuck it and buy a new computer. I really do miss Words, MS Publisher, Homestead for websites, Lumapix, etc. Now its, iWorks, and ithis and ithat, for the life of me can not get used to Pages totaly Greek to me, no offense to our Greek members. But I totally love Lightroom.

Did you say you missed Word? Why not get Office for the Mac?

Glad you love your Mac, though...I mean, what's not to love?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Did you say you missed Word? Why not get Office for the Mac?

If you must have office then this is a reasonable thing to do, but unless you can somehow justify (even if it's only in your own head :-) an educational license it's gawdawful expensive. I was taking night classes for photography and got educational discounds for Photoshop, Office, etc. I didn't even feel slimy about Office, I don't use it enough to pay $400.

Having said that I would suggest working more with Pages. I never used '05 but '06 is pretty nice. I really like the fact that it does a decent job at generating both print and HTML pages. Word mangles the HTML. But the interface does take some getting used to.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Hey, speaking of Office...

I have long known about Open Office, which requires X11, and is ugly, a pain, and only for the geeky.

I just found out that for 6 months now there's been an OSX native version of the app. Now you can get your Office for free, and it might just be all you need!

Here.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I have long known about Open Office, which requires X11, and is ugly, a pain, and only for the geeky.

It's too much even for me, though it's OK on linux, sort of. I'll have to try out the native version. But what I really like is plain simple old fashioned ASCII text! Then I can edit with emacs!

Oh oh. Must count to ten. Mustn't show my age.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I just found out that for 6 months now there's been an OSX native version of the app. Now you can get your Office for free, and it might just be all you need!

Here.

I have tried Open Office on a number of platforms and, frankly, I am not especially fond of it. It's big, it's slow, it has poor output quality, and its on-screen rendering is buggy. I was happier with abiword although its functionality was more limited (it has, admittedly, been a couple of years since I last tried it).

On the PC there's no need for it, there are many high-quality alternatives available for low cost (WordPerfect is a nice one). On the Mac, fewer, but even Apple's Appleworks is more than workable for most tasks. I am becoming more and more a fan of Pages as I use it, although it needs configuration to work well at some of the documentation tasks I do regularly.

The place where you find yourself really limited is when you want spreadsheet or presentation software. While I'm not especially fond of Word, which I think is a nightmare for typists due to overdependence on the mouse and a ridiculously overcomplicated interface, Excel is best-of-breed. I've never seen anything better (although Borland's product was pretty sweet while it lasted). GNU's spreadsheet, GNUmeric, is coming along nicely but is still very much a work-in-progress. And, of course, there's that X11 bugaboo again.

Lastly is presentation software. Powerpoint is also a very well done program and so indispensable for business that Microsoft sells all of Office just to get it on many desks. In fact, I purchased the full version of Office for the Mac simply to get Powerpoint so I could interoperate with my PC-based co-workers. If you don't need that interoperability then there are some alternatives. I have spent some time using iWork's Keynote software which, while relatively simplistic compared to Powerpoint, is more than good enough for most presentation tasks. (In fact, it's a rather nice tool for building diagrams for putting into technical documents.)

The salient point in all of this is that there are some options if you don't want to spend a lot of money on Office, but that you're going to be making tradeoffs in some cases -- particularly spreadsheet and presentations. Less so with wordprocessing since so many tools can read and write Word documents at least to the degree necessary to interoperate.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    If you must have office then this is a reasonable thing to do, but unless you can somehow justify (even if it's only in your own head :-) an educational license it's gawdawful expensive. I was taking night classes for photography and got educational discounds for Photoshop, Office, etc. I didn't even feel slimy about Office, I don't use it enough to pay $400.
    And sadly I think the better of the two versions of office for mac is the older, no longer for sale, Office/X... the newer Office for Mac 2004 seems more bloated, more unstable, and quite often produces documents that crash OOo. (but then so does the current generation of winders office versions... which is what lead me to get a copy of the Mac version of office in the first place, so I could work with and on insanely complex word, powerpoint and excel documents created and owned by my co-workers. (anything I create from scratch tends to be created in either OOo on linux, or Keynote/Pages on the mac. And yes, I was ready to shell out cash for iWork '06, if it included a spread sheet... but without one, no sale for me, I'll stick with iWork '05).
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    cabbey wrote:
    you mean like this happy apple?

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    jvain wrote:

wave.gif and welcome to Dgrin! You are so right. I have been loving my Macs for 13 months now :D Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    iSync, Bluetooth, Motorola Razr
    Just got a new phone yesterday.

Turn on phone.
    2 clicks on phone, make bluetooth "discoverable"
    iSync - discover devices
    Found! - Connect to Motorola Razr? Yes.
    Sync Contacts? Yes!
    Done.

Painless as could be.
    I shudder to think what this would have been like on "the other side..." I have many horrible memories synching devices on peecees.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    I'm glad it works. And that RAZR is a nice phone, that goes well with the Mac. :)

On the other hand: I can't remember the last issue I had setting up sync partnerships between my Windows desktop and my HP/Compaq (6) and i-Mate (2) Pocket PCs, T-Mobile SDA Smartphone, Palm m505, PalmOne Treo 600, Ericsson T39, Sony Ericsson T610i, in the past three years as well. I must have been very lucky.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Just got a new phone yesterday.

Now you are ready for Opera Mini. Let me know what you think.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    funny you should mention that....
    Oi, I'm in the process of trying to remotely support my inlaws through exactly that issue on their winders system. Headache after headache, I'm really regretting not chipping in the extra cash myself to move them up to a mac back when I helped them buy this machine.
    :bash
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    LotsaWater cool screensaver, graphics intensive, but very cool.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Final Cut Pro to Studio upgrade/crossgrades.

This seems like an awesome deal (I have the FCP4 upgrade, so I could get it for $199). I guess it is the right thing to do. I don't own any of the other programs in the suite and the price just seems too low. Is there a catch I am not seeing? I know I have to wait until March, not a big deal and I have to send in the FCP 4 install disk, but other than that it seems great, anyone? ear.gif I am guessing that I would in the future have to always upgrade the entire suite, which will probably not be as cheap in the future. Maybe I will make dgrin the movie and release to HD DVD or something. ne_nau.gif If only I knew a producer and maybe an editor. headscratch.giflol3.gif
    Upgrade from... Price You get... Availability Ordering information
    Final Cut Pro 5 $99 Final Cut Studio (Universal) Shipping March 2006 Download order form
    Final Cut Pro 4 or HD (4.5) $199 Final Cut Studio (Universal) Shipping March 2006 Download order form
    Motion 2 $199 Final Cut Studio (Universal) Shipping March 2006 Download order form
    Soundtrack Pro $199 Final Cut Studio (Universal) Shipping March 2006 Download order form
    DVD Studio Pro 4 $199 Final Cut Studio (Universal) Shipping March 2006 Download order form
    Production Suite $199 Final Cut Studio (Universal) Shipping March 2006 Download order form
    Final Cut Pro 1, 2, or 3 $699 Final Cut Studio (Universal) Shipping March 2006 Available in March 2006

Crossgrade from... Price You get... Availability Ordering information
    Logic Express 7 or 7.1 $29 Logic Express 7.2 Shipping February 2006 Download order form
    Logic Pro 7 or 7.1 $49 Logic Pro 7.2 Shipping February 2006 Buy now
    Final Cut Studio $49 Final Cut Studio (Universal) Shipping March 2006 Download order form
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    File this under "things I did not know."

Apparently, PPC Macs and Intel Macs have different requirements for boot drives. The end result is that if you are booting from and external drive, firewire, for instance, that drive needs to be formatted specifically for the platform. You can't have one boot drive that will mount on PPC and Intel. It's one or the other. This does not effect data drives, only boot drives. Ugh.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    File this under "things I did not know."

Apparently, PPC Macs and Intel Macs have different requirements for boot drives. The end result is that if you are booting from and external drive, firewire, for instance, that drive needs to be formatted specifically for the platform. You can't have one boot drive that will mount on PPC and Intel. It's one or the other. This does not effect data drives, only boot drives. Ugh.

No more partitioning for YOU.

:-)
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    CatOne wrote:
    No more partitioning for YOU.

:-)

And apparently, he's lost the ability to speak proper English, too lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:

From the Oxford American Dictionary:
    affect 1 |??fekt| verb [ trans. ] have an effect on; make a difference to : the dampness began to affect my health | [with clause ] your attitude will affect how successful you are. • touch the feelings of (someone); move emotionally : [as adj. ] ( affecting) a highly affecting account of her experiences in prison. See note at moving . • (of an illness) attack or infect : people who are affected by AIDS.

Hmmmm....the definition of affect: "to have an effect on...." hmmm...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Oh, and if you're gonna slam someone's English, at least make sure you've spelled correctly.
    Moderator Emeritus