Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    I was just informed that I have to :stfu by DavidTO.

This thread is for Unsolicited Advice for me. Therefore, I am not supposed to proffer answers, editorial, or advice.

Sorry guys! bowdown.gif

lol3.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    :bigbs

I have Safari set to put files on my desktop.
    I have Firefox set to put files in a specific folder.

This isn't that hard - are you overthinking things?

BTW - your earlier question - I can choose to open that pdf in preview, or save it to disk (in my FIREFOX PREFERRED location, not Safari's)

Andy, what more can I do?
    1. I tracked down an open and comfirmed FF-1.5 bug which reports exactly the problem I'm having.
    2. I followed the workaround from the bug report, namely using Safari to set a download folder, and the predicted behavior resulted: temporary downloads from FF-1.5 now go to that folder.
    3. I theorized that at some point you must have set the download folder preference in Safari which would have accounted in the difference between what we see. The bug report is a little technical: it's not exatly the Safari setting that FF-1.5 reads, rather it's the System wide preference which Safari happens to set. Perhaps this could get set in some other way? Doen't matter, I have and acceptable workaround now.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I was just informed that I have to :stfu by DavidTO.

This thread is for Unsolicited Advice for me. Therefore, I am not supposed to proffer answers, editorial, or advice.

Sorry guys! bowdown.gif

lol3.gif

Actually, what I meant is that he's now offering the unsolicited advice, and that we've turned a corner here. Andy is now, I think, reached his official, no longer n00b, Mac g33k status.

(The only thing we need to rid him of is using that annoying delete key that deletes forward..wtf is that all about? No self-respecting Mac user uses that key! We don't need it!)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Rutt's a g33k, he can't help it, Nonda lol3.gif

I have to remind him that Macs are EASY TO USE if you don't over-complicate matters.

Easy to use when there are no bugs. All in all easier to use than windows. And your point?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Easy to use when there are no bugs. All in all easier to use than windows. And your point?

Rutt, a couple of days ago when you were telling Ginger that you were gonna hide your money in a book...remember that? That was back when you had a sense of humor. Something's happened since then. Please find it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Andy, what more can I do?

ne_nau.gif - I'm only cracking a little wise. It's just that for me, my Safari downloads go where I want them to go, and my Firefox downloads go where I want them to go.

bugzilla makes my eyes bleed lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Rutt, a couple of days ago when you were telling Ginger that you were gonna hide your money in a book...remember that? That was back when you had a sense of humor. Something's happened since then. Please find it.

It was there when his tagline was "ruttmudgeon" lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

And, Jeez, I thought this was funny. Goes to show how deep my nerd-dom has sunk.

But now we've learned where to hide money from Andy: bugzilla.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    So since you updated have there been problems? Does it actually freeze, or just unexpectedly quit? Are you running basic maintnenance? Install Macaroni to automatically repair permissions, run UNIX crons, etc. Run Disk Warrior to repair the directory structure. Run Onyx to clean out the cache files. Run Preferential Treatment to make sure that her preferences aren't corrupted. I also like AppleJack. Once installed this app runs in single user mode. You restart, holding cmd-s, and when you're in single user type "applejack auto" let it run, and when it's done type "r" for restart. It does a lot of good, you don't need anything (like a start-up disk) and it's free.

Wow, that's a lot of maintenance for a maintenance free Apple machine. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    (The only thing we need to rid him of is using that annoying delete key that deletes forward..wtf is that all about?)
    You mean it deletes what you're about to type before you even type it?

How totally cool. That Jobs is sooo futuristic.

lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Rutt's a g33k, he can't help it, Nonda lol3.gif

I have to remind him that Macs are EASY TO USE if you don't over-complicate matters.

rolleyes1.gif Heck I've been using this trick since win 95 and Netscape. Everything off the net downloads in to my created download folder and only launches if I give the okne_nau.gif

Your good Andythumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    You mean it deletes what you're about to type before you even type it?

How totally cool. That Jobs is sooo futuristic.

lol3.gif

Actually, it's a PC thing that Macs didn't have for a long time. You'd have to ask Andy or one of the recovering PC users what the heck it's called.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow, that's a lot of maintenance for a maintenance free Apple machine. naughty.gif

A) Who said maintenance free? Virus free, adware/spyware free, yes. But maintenance, no.

B)You're a d.....a...a...Richard!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    Just want to make one more comment about that lost sense of humor. Nobody likes tracking down this kind of bug, especially when others are having trouble reproducing. Andy kept giving the same advice and I knew I'd followed it. I finally tracked down an actual bug report in a place that makes Andy's eyes bleed and he gave me the B.S. flag without reading the report. It really wasn't helping. I guess I'd hoped for "good dog" and a pat on the head or something.

Sorry if my frustration leaked out. Let's chill.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    But maintenance, no.

I do Zero maintenance on my Apples. I have none of that software that David mentions. Not on my G5 not on my PowerBook.

I'm just sayin'
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I guess I'd hoped for "good dog" and a pat on the head or something.

Turn your animation on, rutt :D

animated-doggie-good.gif

head%20pat.gif
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    J

Sorry if my frustration leaked out. Let's chill.

Rutt understood. Maybe in this case ignorance was bliss? I have had FF since I've had the G5 (1-1/2 years?) Have had it set up this way since the get go and never have had to reset it and did it just like I have always have on the PC an Win.

Not sure if this will be helpful either but here goes. When I was looking at Office for Mac, after reading the reviews etc. I got Office X instead of 04. It just seemed to me that Office (I started with 98Pro, PC) got buggier the newer it got. OfficeX has been super solid. Just a thought.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I do Zero maintenance on my Apples.

Yah. You'll probably have a new machine before you'd need maintenance. Try running the same install for over three years on one machine. :D
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    Yah. You'll probably have a new machine before you'd need maintenance. Try running the same install for over three years on one machine. :D

Or worse, the same install with 2 major updates (Jaguar>Panther>Tiger) and the smaller updates in between. Plus, your drive directory will become corrupted, it's just a matter of time. A little preventative maintenance can go a long way...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Or worse, the same install with 2 major updates (Jaguar>Panther>Tiger) and the smaller updates in between. Plus, your drive directory will become corrupted, it's just a matter of time. A little preventative maintenance can go a long way...

Dude, I'm not stupid - I have automaintenance on, and all the updates are fetched automagically. I just don't wanna know what a "cron" is :D
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Dude, I'm not stupid - I have automaintenance on, and all the updates are fetched automagically. I just don't wanna know what a "cron" is :D

What does automaintenance mean?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    A) Who said maintenance free? Virus free, adware/spyware free, yes. But maintenance, no.

lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

It means a new entry in the ARQG.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

This:
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    This:

That is not maintenance. Just to be clear. If there are problems it won't fix them, it only updates your system. In fact, if there are problems with your drive and you update, it could cause big problems.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    That is not maintenance. Just to be clear. If there are problems it won't fix them, it only updates your system. In fact, if there are problems with your drive and you update, it could cause big problems.
    whoooo-ahhh there lad ! Y..y...y...y...you mean there is problems with a mcputer eek7.gif All that stuff about ownership curing hangnails & male pattern baldness was hype ?
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    whoooo-ahhh there lad ! Y..y...y...y...you mean there is problems with a mcputer eek7.gif All that stuff about ownership curing hangnails & male pattern baldness was hype ?

I'll just recycle the same thing I said to Sid:
    DavidTO wrote:

Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I know -- but above, someone was saying about not being current and such. I'm as current as yesterday.

I do have Disk Warrior, I can read, y'know!

I'm off like a prom dress wave.gif
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    someone was saying about not being current and such

I was not saying you were not current, I was just saying your system is probably that fresh, that the need for maintenance is less felt. I've been running Mac OS X on the same iBook for over three years. Been updating automagically like you, been buying the new cats over the years. But never did a fresh install, just upgraded all the time. Doing maintenance is a requirement, esp. if you use your system for a longer period of time. And running system updates is only part of your maintenance schedule. But I see that you run Disk Warrior, so you do some maintenance. Good for you.

And about those crons, I can't help it but I'll always think Leica, not UNIX.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

You notice how they wait till my cash is down on one before they tell you about the lists of problems umph.gif