Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

You can also check any word by hitting a keystroke and hovering over it, you get the definition and everything.
    Ooooh, now that's very cool!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    What's a widget?

Read here.

And when you get there, click on this picture for a demo.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Ooooh, now that's very cool!

Yep.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 26, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    This one just crashed my Firefox... again. I simply can't understand why Mozilla can't get a handle on the damn thing.

http://www.multicians.org/thvv/globe.html
    works fine for me. ffx on winxp sp2.

make sure you have the latest java and firefox updates.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    works fine for me. ffx on winxp sp2.

make sure you have the latest java and firefox updates.
    That's another Firefox sore spot. I update those damn things every time I'm prompted to. Doesn't seem to make a damn bit of difference.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    That's another Firefox sore spot. I update those damn things every time I'm prompted to. Doesn't seem to make a damn bit of difference.

just turn off the automatic updates. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    For those who are interested I am going to replace my hard drive in my Macbook. It came with the 60 GB drive, which is a Fujitsu MHV2060BH (as best as I can tell, that is the model # on the drive, but don't take my word for it since I am not a computer expert).

I found a 120 GB same make for $166 vs $250 from Apple.

It was just as easy as the video online shows it to take out and replace. I will have to wait until I get the new drive to see if the metal housing needs to be switched over, which uses a really small torx screw, of course my kit does not go that small.

I will post more when I get the new drive and install it. So far it was very easy and it booted back up with no problems.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    For those who are interested I am going to replace my hard drive in my Macbook. It came with the 60 GB drive, which is a Fujitsu MHV2060BH (as best as I can tell, that is the model # on the drive, but don't take my word for it since I am not a computer expert).

I found a 120 GB same make for $166 vs $250 from Apple.

It was just as easy as the video online shows it to take out and replace. I will have to wait until I get the new drive to see if the metal housing needs to be switched over, which uses a really small torx screw, of course my kit does not go that small.

I will post more when I get the new drive and install it. So far it was very easy and it booted back up with no problems.

Uh, I would check the Apple DIY site for details. I replaced the drive on my PowerBook, no problem, it's identified by Apple as a DIY repair. I know it's not on the iBook, and I doubt it is on the MBP. You may void your warranty if you do not have a certified Apple repair center do the work. Just sayin'.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Uh, I would check the Apple DIY site for details. I replaced the drive on my PowerBook, no problem, it's identified by Apple as a DIY repair. I know it's not on the iBook, and I doubt it is on the MBP. You may void your warranty if you do not have a certified Apple repair center do the work. Just sayin'.

I only have a Macbook. I will still have the old drive to put back in if there is a problem.

The DIY pdf can be found here. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    I did check here and it does not come up in the list, but the pdf has DIY in it and the DIY link in from the pdf? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    I called Tech Support about my son's iBook, which I was pretty sure is not DIY. I was right on that one. While on the phone I asked about the MacBook, and it turns out that the hard drive is a DIY part. Is this the PDF you were talking about?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I called Tech Support about my son's iBook, which I was pretty sure is not DIY. I was right on that one. While on the phone I asked about the MacBook, and it turns out that the hard drive is a DIY part. Is this the PDF you were talking about?

Yes it is.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Yes it is.

That looks pretty easy.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    That looks pretty easy.

It was super easy to pull out, the ram took more effort.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Only 'cause it's rutting season. Usually they're easier.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    patch29 wrote:

Are you going to get a portable enclosure for the old one?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Are you going to get a portable enclosure for the old one?

Yes that is the enclosure in my shopping cart. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    I placed my order, so next week I will see if everything work right. The big question I have is do I do a new install or drag over my OSX and XP partitions and use those? I am tempted to do a clean install to keep OSX on the lighter side. I don't need all the print driver and extras they toss in. Does anyone know if XP is the same way? Can I do a custom XP install and save a lot of space?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Can I do a custom XP install and save a lot of space?

nod.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    nod.gif

Are there any helpful links on the stuff I don't need to install? I am using XP minimally, at the moment only for mapping software for my GPS. I am not even planning to use access the internet regularly with it, only for activation, so I don't think I need a lot of spyware or virus software, right? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Patrick
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Yes that is the enclosure in my shopping cart. :D

I've had that enclosure for 2+ years now. I like it a lot.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I've had that enclosure for 2+ years now. I like it a lot.

I have another idea too. I want to test parallels, but it is buggy with the GPS, but I could use the old drive in the enclosure as a test drive, keep the OS on that and hopefully I can boot off it and put parallels on it. So far most garmin/parellels posts I have seen have been stating that it does not work well yet, so I will stick with boot camp, until someone comes up with a better solution.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Are there any helpful links on the stuff I don't need to install? I am using XP minimally, at the moment only for mapping software for my GPS. I am not even planning to use access the internet regularly with it, only for activation, so I don't think I need a lot of spyware or virus software, right? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Patrick

Just google it. Lots and lots of resources on the net. But yes you most certainly absolutely do need virus software. If you're going to be on the net or using any disks from anyone else at all you need virus software. Spyware not so much maybe, but virus software definitely. There is free anti-virus software though.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Just google it. Lots and lots of resources on the net. But yes you most certainly absolutely do need virus software. If you're going to be on the net or using any disks from anyone else at all you need virus software. Spyware not so much maybe, but virus software definitely. There is free anti-virus software though.

Uh-Oh, XP sounds like a lot of work. :uhoh
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Uh-Oh, XP sounds like a lot of work. :uhoh

Like you didn't know that...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Like you didn't know that...

but if I don't get on the internet with it, where is the problem? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    but if I don't get on the internet with it, where is the problem? headscratch.gif

But you will be for updates and what-not.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    But you will be for updates and what-not.

I downloaded a lot of minor updates via OSX and moved them to the XP partition. :D
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
    My new larger Macbook Hard Drive should be here today, so I am testing Parallels to see how it works, so far, so good. It loaded easily and I was able to install Mapsource and download tracks and I am currently uploading maps to my GPS. clap.gif

The only thing I need to figure out is the screen res in full screen mode. I am sure I just need to adjust a setting.

Anyone have tips on software to install on XP to keep it safe? I also have not found any good info on the custom install options for XP. I did find info on virus/spyware stuff, but I don't know which are ok. Should I active the MS updates?
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Anyone have tips on software to install on XP to keep it safe? I also have not found any good info on the custom install options for XP. I did find info on virus/spyware stuff, but I don't know which are ok. Should I active the MS updates?

AVG antivirus. It's free and it works. I use two different anti-malware tools but I don't recall the names off the top of my head.

But the really neat thing about Parallels is that you can just clone the VM once you get it installed. If something bad happens, copy the clone back to restore the system to a happy state.

That's basically what Ghost does and is by far the easiest way to manage Windows rebuilds.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com