Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    Install whatever the updater says to install for sure. In IE go to the windows update link in the help dropdown and drain it dry. Then restart and go back to the windows updater and drain it dry again. Repeat until there are no mor updates. Oh and install TweakUI, the Raw thumbnailer and viewer, and the other powertoys that interest you here.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I ran XP today and it wanted to install 44 updates, does that seem normal for a new install?
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Install whatever the updater says to install for sure. In IE go to the windows update link in the help dropdown and drain it dry.

BTW despite how some Mac folk like to bring up about Windows' need for patches (and I am definitely a Mac guy) the same advice goes when you buy a new Mac. Every I see a newly purchased Mac (mine or a friend's), Apple Software Update has a bunch of updates that need to be downloaded. I was surprised to see my friend's new MacBook needed a long list of updates, and she bought it within a few days of the machine's introduction. It might not be 44 security patches as in Windows, but it was over 100MB of updates for Mac OS X, QuickTime, the iApps, and, yes, security updates too. In other words, you still have to set aside time for a big download/install, whatever the platform.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    In other words, you still have to set aside time for a big download/install, whatever the platform.

I am just familiar with the Mac way of downloading updates and trust what I am doing. In XP, wxwax has made me too paranoid, so I don't know which are real vs potential spyware type stuff. So I am being very cautious.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    What are you going to do with that enclosure?

I went and bought a matching 120gb 5400rpm drive for the enclosure today, so now I can wait and find the SATA enclosure for the other drive when they are more available and hopefully cheaper. The 120 will allow me to clone my entire drive on the road and always have a bootable drive if the main one goes down. thumb.gif It would be better if it were SATA though because I could just swap them in the Macbook. I guess I can always carry the old drive with me. :D
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    Does anyone have any sources for a good freeware word processor? I am trying to get away from Office and don't want to install it on my Macbook. I tested out Google Spreadsheets today and it works well and can save an excel copy to your desktop, maybe they have a word processor that is hidden somewhere. I also tested their calendar and liked it too. :D
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Does anyone have any sources for a good freeware word processor? I am trying to get away from Office and don't want to install it on my Macbook. I tested out Google Spreadsheets today and it works well and can save an excel copy to your desktop, maybe they have a word processor that is hidden somewhere. I also tested their calendar and liked it too. :D

Neo Office.

Open Office.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    BTW despite how some Mac folk like to bring up about Windows' need for patches (and I am definitely a Mac guy) the same advice goes when you buy a new Mac. Every I see a newly purchased Mac (mine or a friend's), Apple Software Update has a bunch of updates that need to be downloaded. I was surprised to see my friend's new MacBook needed a long list of updates, and she bought it within a few days of the machine's introduction. It might not be 44 security patches as in Windows, but it was over 100MB of updates for Mac OS X, QuickTime, the iApps, and, yes, security updates too. In other words, you still have to set aside time for a big download/install, whatever the platform.

nod.gif My updates took about 20 minutes, maybe more, last night.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif My updates took about 20 minutes, maybe more, last night.

With apologies to Grease:

Tell me more, tell me more,
    Was it love at first sight?
    Did she put up a fight?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Did she put up a fight?
    onewtonjohn.jpg

iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Did she put up a fight?

lol3.gif

So far, so good.

Airport and the internet put up a fight. But only, as it turns out, because I needed to power down the modem then turn it back on, so that it could shoot its magic signals into my willing laptop. Now I just need to figure out how to password protect my Airport. In wading through the menus, I found everything to be just as perplexing as on a PC, not intuitive nor simple language.

I like the keyboard very much. Nice and wide spacing for my fat fingered typing. Typical for laptops, the display only has a narrow viewing angle. I like how wide it is. I like the look and feel of the white Macbook, much more so than the black one.

With help from Patch I downloaded and installed Firefox. I don't think the downloading process was at all intuitive - nowhere did it tell me I had to drag the icon to Applications in order to save it. Is there a key stroke that puts my cursor in the URL bar, and a keystroke that puts my cursor in the Google bar, in Firefox? On a PC it's Control-L and Control-K, respectively.

I tried the default browser for a while, as well. It's OK. Interesting how some fonts are different: for example, the thread titles in "Latest."

I very much like the two finger scrolling and two finger right-click - very nice feature, completely eased my concern about right clicking not being available. Again, I needed Patch's help to decipher the language on the keyboard/touchpad settings interface, no better than XP-lingo in my opinion.

I like the easy f-key access to widgets for calculator and calendar, clearing the screen, etc.

Even though I'm a stranger in a strange land, I wish PS ran faster in OS than in XP, so that I didn't have to load XP. I may try Parallels, Patch says it's working well for him and doesn't seem to be slowing anything down (my main concern.) Also, based on Patch's suggestion, I'm going to spring for the student (non-upgradeable?) version of Mac Office, rather than load my Windows version. Can't work without Word.

Overall, slight tension headache because I simply don't understand how computers work. But so far, I like it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Thanks, hopefully those will work for me, maybe wxwax too. umph.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Is there a key stroke that puts my cursor in the URL bar, and a keystroke that puts my cursor in the Google bar, in Firefox? On a PC it's Control-L and Control-K, respectively.

The apple key + L for the URL, I usually tab to the google search. apple+K enables/disables pop ups in Safari.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    I used Super Duper to clone my drive to the portable and I booted off of it very easily. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif

So far, so good.

Airport and the internet put up a fight. But only, as it turns out, because I needed to power down the modem then turn it back on, so that it could shoot its magic signals into my willing laptop. Now I just need to figure out how to password protect my Airport. In wading through the menus, I found everything to be just as perplexing as on a PC, not intuitive nor simple language.
    I think that's the nature of WIFI. Confusing, standards, encryption. Oy. You want to protect the Airport in your lappy? Why? I think all the protection you need is enabled. Check your Sharing Preference Panel, and I think you'll see that it is.

With help from Patch I downloaded and installed Firefox. I don't think the downloading process was at all intuitive - nowhere did it tell me I had to drag the icon to Applications in order to save it. Is there a key stroke that puts my cursor in the URL bar, and a keystroke that puts my cursor in the Google bar, in Firefox? On a PC it's Control-L and Control-K, respectively.
    Blame the lack of intuitiveness on FF. But any application you download just gets dragged into the Apps folder. Unless it's got an installer, then run the installer. Should be obvious, as they should call the installer "Install XXX". When in doubt, use the same keystrokes, substituting command for control (the command key is the one with the Apple and the Splat on it.)

Even though I'm a stranger in a strange land, I wish PS ran faster in OS than in XP, so that I didn't have to load XP. I may try Parallels, Patch says it's working well for him and doesn't seem to be slowing anything down (my main concern.)

Uh, you may find that PS is fast enough for the few months that you ahve to wait for the Universal Binary. Personally, I'd rather put up with the speed hit than mess around with Parallels/Windows/Partitioning/Headaches. Seriously, think twice about installing Windows. Not that you shouldn't. Just think twice. Or maybe even thrice.
    Also, based on Patch's suggestion, I'm going to spring for the student (non-upgradeable?) version of Mac Office, rather than load my Windows version. Can't work without Word.
    Not a bad suggestion, also see the free alternatives I linked above. Not pretty, but fine.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I used Super Duper to clone my drive to the portable and I booted off of it very easily. thumb.gif

SuperDuper is one of my all-time favorite apps. What a great package.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    With help from Patch I downloaded and installed Firefox. I don't think the downloading process was at all intuitive - nowhere did it tell me I had to drag the icon to Applications in order to save it.

OK, so I didn't believe you on this one, and I re-downloaded FF.

Are you high? How much more intuitive can it be?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

lol3.giflol3.gif Go easy on him, David - he's a macN0000b
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

lots.

seriously, how hard would it be to put "drag the firefox icon to your apps folder to install"

a case of style over function. i blame steve.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Is there a key stroke that puts my cursor in the URL bar, and a keystroke that puts my cursor in the Google bar, in Firefox? On a PC it's Control-L and Control-K, respectively.

Shortcuts for commands are listed on the menus, just like Windows. For Firefox URL the command is File/Open Location, menu says Ctrl+L on my PC and Command+L on my Mac.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    lots.

seriously, how hard would it be to put "drag the firefox icon to your apps folder to install"

a case of style over function. i blame steve.

If you're going to blame anyone, blame FF.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think that's the nature of WIFI. Confusing, standards, encryption. Oy. You want to protect the Airport in your lappy? Why? I think all the protection you need is enabled. Check your Sharing Preference Panel, and I think you'll see that it is.

I think he wants to use WEP encryption, since he lives in an area with lots of wifi signals and users. He will be a no freeloader zone. umph.gif

It should be fairly easy with the Airport Admin Utility.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Do you or anyone use Neo Office?

How compatible is it with MS office?

I like the look and I am tempted to pay a few bucks and try it out. I feel better about spending my money supporting open source.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    The apple key + L for the URL, I usually tab to the google search. apple+K enables/disables pop ups in Safari.
    thumb.gif Thanks. I thought I tried all the combos last night, must not have.
    Sid.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    the power of the turtleneck compelled them. they are helpless.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I'm with the big guy from the web. How hard is it to say, in simple English (you remember English, our common language?) what we're supposed to do?

That little drawing made no sense to me. Also, when I double clicked on it (my natural reaction,) it shrank. That little globe icon in the middle of the drawing, why is that supposed to mean something to me? And exactly how am I, a first time user, supposed to know that the curly-cue A stands for Applications folder?

rolleyes1.gif

Your sure are defensive about Mac stuff. Take a pill, relax.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Do you or anyone use Neo Office?

How compatible is it with MS office?

I like the look and I am tempted to pay a few bucks and try it out. I feel better about spending my money supporting open source.

It's become the default install at my office. I've not used it, but it's passed the test with the tech dept. Not much to lose there, Patch. It's free. If you dont' like it, you can try something else.

It's fugly, though. Very windows in its interface.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Wow, you have it bad.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    Shortcuts for commands are listed on the menus, just like Windows. For Firefox URL the command is File/Open Location, menu says Ctrl+L on my PC and Command+L on my Mac.
    Thanks. thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I think he wants to use WEP encryption, since he lives in an area with lots of wifi signals and users. He will be a no freeloader zone. umph.gif

It should be fairly easy with the Airport Admin Utility.
    Thanks, thought it was obvious.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow, you have it bad.

Stop trolling, Sid. :D
    Moderator Emeritus