Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Hmmm...I thought it was current because a) the main text mentions batteries up to May 2005, and b) it references the older recall in a yellow sidebar on the right.

Maybe it was a staging link and we should stick to the official one that starts with support.apple.com posted earlier, which doesn't work at all right now for me.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Cupertino, California-based Apple will recall 1.1 million batteries sold with notebook computers in the United States and 700,000 abroad, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said.

They were sold with Apple iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 computers from October 2003 through this month, according to the safety commission.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Don't know if anyone else hates having to go to the control key to cut, copy, and paste in parallels or bootcamp as much as I do. I always get confused and hit cmd-c and end up not copying anything. If you're a moron like me you may like keytweak. Better yet, someone has taken the time to set up the key mapping file for you which you can get here.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    http://support.apple.com/batteryprogram isn't quite up yet, and the phone line is understandably swamped.

The site's up now.

Doesn't like my serial number, but I'll stop by a genius bar in the morning.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Don't know if anyone else hates having to go to the control key to cut, copy, and paste in parallels or bootcamp as much as I do. I always get confused and hit cmd-c and end up not copying anything. If you're a moron like me you may like keytweak. Better yet, someone has taken the time to set up the key mapping file for you which you can get here.
    lol3.gif I want the opposite. I keep reaching for the Control key on the Mac.

Anyone make a one button keyboard 'forward delete' button for a Mac keyboard?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif I want the opposite. I keep reaching for the Control key on the Mac.

Anyone make a one button keyboard 'forward delete' button for a Mac keyboard?

The only time you're missing the forward delete is on a lappy. Full keyboards have it.

You should be able to do what you want in Sys Prefs/Keyboard and Mouse/Keyboard shortcuts....I *think*, haven't tested it for you.

Also, if that doesn't work, check versiontracker with an appropriate search term.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    The only time you're missing the forward delete is on a lappy. Full keyboards have it.

For those who dont already know...on a Mac laptop keyboard you get forward delete by pressing Fn+Delete.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    For those who dont already know...on a Mac laptop keyboard you get forward delete by pressing Fn+Delete.

wxwax's in the know...just lazy. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    wxwax's in the know...just lazy. :D
    nod.gif Two hands = bad. Two fingers = tough!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

You should be able to do what you want in Sys Prefs/Keyboard and Mouse/Keyboard shortcuts....I *think*, haven't tested it for you.

Also, if that doesn't work, check versiontracker with an appropriate search term.
    I don't understand this, but I shall explore it. Thanks.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I don't understand this, but I shall explore it. Thanks.

Yeah, I don't think it works, anyway. I'll look into it for you.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah, I don't think it works, anyway. I'll look into it for you.
    Thanks, man.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    Try this.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Try this.
    OK, so that's the control key instead of Apple key, not forward delete, right? Just want to make sure I'm understanding this.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, so that's the control key instead of Apple key, not forward delete, right? Just want to make sure I'm understanding this.

Not really sure, but I think that's correct. I haven't tested it. You're gonna do that. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    DavidTO turned me on...
    to Macaroni. So I used it to clear all my localizations files. What's the point, I don't speak anything but english anyhow. Once I did that the log told me this at the bottom:
    Localization cleaning complete.
    Removed 282803 files and 70749 directories to save 3213.61 MB.

:jawdrop

• Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    to Macaroni. So I used it to clear all my localizations files. What's the point, I don't speak anything but english anyhow. Once I did that the log told me this at the bottom:

:jawdrop

That's worth $9 right there!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    There are free ways do all the maintenance tasks in Macaroni, but to me, not having to remember to run them is priceless. Thanks to its automatic scheduling, I'm a huge Macaroni fan.

(One caveat: A very small number of applications do not like to be delocalized. There is an Adobe Illustrator update that will not run if it doesn't find all the resources it expects. The ones that tripped me up were foreign language resources I had removed. Had to reinstall before it would update.)
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    There are free ways do all the maintenance tasks in Macaroni, but to me, not having to remember to run them is priceless. Thanks to its automatic scheduling, I'm a huge Macaroni fan.

(One caveat: A very small number of applications do not like to be delocalized. There is an Adobe Illustrator update that will not run if it doesn't find all the resources it expects. The ones that tripped me up were foreign language resources I had removed. Had to reinstall before it would update.)
    11doh.gif Hopefully I don't run into that...

• Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    Automator workflows
    On my PC I've got an external disk that has all of my images and music and documents etc, etc, etc. I can connect to it easily enough by going into the finder and hitting cmd-k and connecting to the drive using smb. The problem is that whenever my MBP sleeps it loses its internet connection and thus loses the smb connection to the external drive. So I'm stuck going in and opening the smb connection all the freaking time.

So I figured I'd try my hand at an automator workflow. Now, I can get it to automatically connect to the external drive, no problem what-so-ever. What I can't get it to do is to do it on its own. Is there a way that you can set the automator to run a workflow upon the computer waking from the sleep mode?

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 25, 2006
    colourbox wrote:

Thank you!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    11doh.gif Hopefully I don't run into that...

I've been doing this for nearly three years and never once had a problem.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2006
    Crucial's out of Macbook 2GB memory right now.

On the plus side, it was a pleasure plugging a firewire cable from my vidcam into the Macbook, and immediately being able to control the Sony with the Mac and view video. At least here, the "Macs just work" mantra is true. thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Crucial Service is *outstanding*
    wxwax wrote:
    Andy, does this affect you?

Crucial has me as a customer for life. They rang me up today, asking me if I wouldn't mind terribly, switching from the original RAM, to the new RAW, with Apple-approved heat-sinks? Their mistake, no problem, sure the new ram is more but that's ok we'll do it all for the same $$. Here's your new order #, the new ram will be at your door in a couple days, and here's an RMA *and* a UPS return label, please send us back the old ram. No problem that it's in your computer.

Have a nice day!
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2006
    Wow, talk about standing by your product. That's impressive.
    Sid.
  • Options
    phuongphuong Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Crucial has me as a customer for life. They rang me up today, asking me if I wouldn't mind terribly, switching from the original RAM, to the new RAW, with Apple-approved heat-sinks? Their mistake, no problem, sure the new ram is more but that's ok we'll do it all for the same $$. Here's your new order #, the new ram will be at your door in a couple days, and here's an RMA *and* a UPS return label, please send us back the old ram. No problem that it's in your computer.

Have a nice day!

so you're saying Crucial has released a new RAM that's compatible with the Mac Pro?
    and can u point me to that "apple-approved heat sink" please?

actually i'm having a apple discount that saves me $400+ if i buy apple's ram (and even more if i take 3GHz model), but i still like to compare prices everywhere before making a final decision.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    phuong wrote:
    so you're saying Crucial has released a new RAM that's compatible with the Mac Pro?
    and can u point me to that "apple-approved heat sink" please?

actually i'm having a apple discount that saves me $400+ if i buy apple's ram (and even more if i take 3GHz model), but i still like to compare prices everywhere before making a final decision.

Here:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Apple%2BMac+Pro&mfr=Apple&tabid=AM&model=Mac+Pro&submit=Go

And 1Gb sticks are being added this week.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    great news Andy. but do i still have to buy heatsinks?
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    phuong wrote:
    great news Andy. but do i still have to buy heatsinks?
    No. These are new Rams, with the gigundo-heat sinks already built-in.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    No. These are new Rams, with the gigundo-heat sinks already built-in.

thanks

edit: wow, they actually added 2GB sticks today. two for $960 :great: :great: :great: