Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    What do people use to work on html, css, and javascript on a mac? Hopefully something that enforces xhtml, and formatting of html and javascript and has intelliSence (MSFT word?) built in.

Or do mac users just do this stuff in a text editor?
    Firefox webdev mostly but bigger stuff in smultron. The really nice part about smultron is that you can set cyberduck to recognize it and automatically use it to edit the html, js, php, whatever files on your server. Then when you save in smultron, the saved copy is automagically updated on your server. mwink.gif

both easy, both free.

of course these days I use more macFUSE and sshfs than cyberduck.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Next mac question. I've got most everything set up, now I need to move some files from my pc to my mac. I followed the instructions...

mac and pc both wired into the same hub, pc has firewall down and sharing open, I open the finder then Go > Connect to Server > Browse. I see my pc workgroup and my pc in finder, but when I try and connect to my pc it it says that the alias is no longer valid eek7.gif. If I try and connect to my pc via typing the IP address directly it can't find anything at that IP address. I should also mention, it is just the pc and the mac connected to a simple hub, nothing else. What am I doing wrong? What am I missing?ne_nau.gif
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2007
    Thanks, but I need to be able to network with my pc, its the pc that has all the files on it that my mac needs: 100+ Gb of images I want to make sure my mac has access to.

I found this: vhttp://www.apple.com/getamac/movetomac/network.html but so far its not going that smoothy.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2007
    it's just a push rather than pull, either way should work.

[edit] oh, or are you just going to access the files on the pc (leaving them there), as opposed to copying them over to the mac?
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2007
    a mac can read a NTFS formatted hard drive? eek7.gif

I plugged in the external harddrive from my pc which was formatted NTFS, and my mac had no problem reading it!
    Andrew

• Options
    edited April 20, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    a mac can read a NTFS formatted hard drive? eek7.gif

I plugged in the external harddrive from my pc which was formatted NTFS, and my mac had no problem reading it!
    nod.gif

thumb.gif

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Writing to it is another matter, right? Risk of corruption?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

I have 2 external drives. One is now mac formatted, one is ntfs. I can put all the data on one, and copy it to the other!

Now if I can just get Nikolai to do a mac version of star explorer, I will have everything I need.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited April 21, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    if that's true I need to know for sure eek7.gif

• Options
    MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    if that's true I need to know for sure eek7.gif

AFAIK, you can't write to it.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2007
    Milan wrote:
    AFAIK, you can't write to it.
    Sure you can, I do it all the time. I've got an HP external drive. It's the type of thing that just plugs right into a slot on my desktop. But it also comes with a usb connection. My MacBook Pro recognizes it with no problem (it was truly plug and play) and I've read and written tons to it like that.

However, if there is a chance that data can become corrupted, I won't do it again.

• Options
    MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Sure you can, I do it all the time. I've got an HP external drive. It's the type of thing that just plugs right into a slot on my desktop. But it also comes with a usb connection. My MacBook Pro recognizes it with no problem (it was truly plug and play) and I've read and written tons to it like that.

However, if there is a chance that data can become corrupted, I won't do it again.

OK, I didn't know you can actualy write to NTFS disk from a Mac.
    Have no use for it, only remember reading about it on Apple support dscussion forum.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2007
    I don't know about mac and ntfs any more. I've been trying to copy about 150GB from ntfs to a mac-formatted drive. Twice my mbp has frozen up and given me a message telling me to restart the computer.

And now verify disk from the disk utility tells me that my "volume header needs minor repair". How do I do that when my "Repair Disk" button remains greyed out? headscratch.gif
    Andrew

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    I don't know about mac and ntfs any more. I've been trying to copy about 150GB from ntfs to a mac-formatted drive. Twice my mbp has frozen up and given me a message telling me to restart the computer.

And now verify disk from the disk utility tells me that my "volume header needs minor repair". How do I do that when my "Repair Disk" button remains greyed out? headscratch.gif

Which disk needs repair? If it's your boot drive, yes, you cannot repair it while you are booted from it.

There are several ways around this, but my favorite is AppleJack. Download, install, then restart and immediately after the start-up chime hold cmd-s until you've started up in single user mode (bunch of white text on black background). As soon as you see the text you can let go of cmd-s. Once the sytem is done loading into single user mode, type: "applejack auto restart", and go get a cup of coffe. It takes 5-10 minutes to repair your drive, your permissions, your preferences and to clean up your cache files and something else I always forget. It's handy.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Which disk needs repair? If it's your boot drive, yes, you cannot repair it while you are booted from it.

There are several ways around this, but my favorite is AppleJack. Download, install, then restart and immediately after the start-up chime hold cmd-s until you've started up in single user mode (bunch of white text on black background). As soon as you see the text you can let go of cmd-s. Once the sytem is done loading into single user mode, type: "applejack auto restart", and go get a cup of coffe. It takes 5-10 minutes to repair your drive, your permissions, your preferences and to clean up your cache files and something else I always forget. It's handy.
    David, you rock!!! wings.gif

What you suggested worked perfectly. Problem solved, all issued resolved!

Thank you!clap.gif
    Andrew

• Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    David, you rock!!! wings.gif

What you suggested worked perfectly. Problem solved, all issued resolved!

Thank you!clap.gif

Glad it helped. Now download and install (and pay the $8) Macaroni. Once installed, you don't need to do anything, but I would recommend setting it to delete localizations that you don't use. You can safely delete all of them if you're using american english. I set it to do that monthly. The rest of the settings you can just leave as is. Deleting localizations will save you a couple of gigs of space, and reduce the number of files on your drive by a lot. Macaroni does other good stuff. Just install it and leave it be (make sure it's registered, or it will stop working).
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    I also should note that if the drive gets into more serious trouble, then the tool to reach for is DiskWarrior. Expensive, but nothing repairs a disk like it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Now download and install (and pay the $8) Macaroni.
    Done.
    DavidTo wrote:
    also should note that if the drive gets into more serious trouble, then the tool to reach for is DiskWarrior. Expensive, but nothing repairs a disk like it.
    and done.

Again. Thanks.
    Andrew

• Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:

NTFS is a proprietary filesystem with very very little public documentation. In the Linux/BSD world there have been a few folks that have done the old reverse engineering approach to trying to figure it out. There is now a reasonably sane "writeable" driver out there for linux, and I assume also BSD, which underlies Mac OS/x. The important thing to remember when using the Linux one, at least as of the last time I looked at it seriously for work, was that it was a "emergency fix" writable driver. If you absolutely HAD to write to a file that already existed to change something simple, like say a disk ID in the bootloader control file, then you could and be reasonably safe. It intentionally marked the disk as in need of repair every time you mounted it read/write. There were some fields that the driver didn't know how to properly update so it didn't even try, it just left them wrong and trusted chkdisk.exe to fix them on reboot into windows.

So you don't want to be using that disk as a extensively as a normal device from Linux if you really care about your data.

I'd like to hope, that with the move to Intel, Apple has done some kind of deal with MSFT to get the specs, or better yet a working device driver, or else poured a LOT of R&D into their version of that driver, because you know there are going to be people using bootcamp to install windows, and they're going to expect they can share a data disk. (Or did apple make an HFS+ driver for windows?) A quick search of the apple tech support site however, screams "NTFS is READ ONLY" on every hit. That kinda says to me they didn't.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    NTFS is a proprietary filesystem with very very little public documentation. In the Linux/BSD world there have been a few folks that have done the old reverse engineering approach to trying to figure it out. There is now a reasonably sane "writeable" driver out there for linux, and I assume also BSD, which underlies Mac OS/x. The important thing to remember when using the Linux one, at least as of the last time I looked at it seriously for work, was that it was a "emergency fix" writable driver. If you absolutely HAD to write to a file that already existed to change something simple, like say a disk ID in the bootloader control file, then you could and be reasonably safe. It intentionally marked the disk as in need of repair every time you mounted it read/write. There were some fields that the driver didn't know how to properly update so it didn't even try, it just left them wrong and trusted chkdisk.exe to fix them on reboot into windows.

So you don't want to be using that disk as a extensively as a normal device from Linux if you really care about your data.

I'd like to hope, that with the move to Intel, Apple has done some kind of deal with MSFT to get the specs, or better yet a working device driver, or else poured a LOT of R&D into their version of that driver, because you know there are going to be people using bootcamp to install windows, and they're going to expect they can share a data disk. (Or did apple make an HFS+ driver for windows?) A quick search of the apple tech support site however, screams "NTFS is READ ONLY" on every hit. That kinda says to me they didn't.
    Bah. Thanks for the info cabby.

These days I mostly have my external drive plugged into the desktop and I access it via smb from my macbook pro. Do you know if I could run into the same issues doing it that way?

• Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    Haven't tried this, but Coda looks great!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Bah. Thanks for the info cabby.

These days I mostly have my external drive plugged into the desktop and I access it via smb from my macbook pro. Do you know if I could run into the same issues doing it that way?

I'm assuming the desktop is a windows machine, in which case no, you can't be impacted by the issue I mentioned.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Haven't tried this, but Coda looks great!

likewise you might want to look into CSSEdit.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    likewise you might want to look into CSSEdit.

I love CSS Edit. Recommend it all the time. This looks like CSS Edit with added features. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I love CSS Edit. Recommend it all the time. This looks like CSS Edit with added features. thumb.gif

Right now I'm playing with TextWrangler, I like the price. I might have to try out Coda though.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited April 25, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Right now I'm playing with TextWrangler, I like the price. I might have to try out Coda though.

TextWrangler is great. But it is NOTHING like CSS Edit. I love that app. Especially for a CSS n00b like myself. At least check out the demo. Coda is more 'spensive, but more feature rich, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    TextWrangler is great. But it is NOTHING like CSS Edit. I love that app. Especially for a CSS n00b like myself. At least check out the demo. Coda is more 'spensive, but more feature rich, too.

I'll probably have to check out coda. I've been using Microsoft Visual Studio for my web work for so long its going to be hard to find anything else I like. Possibly Eclipse (anyone used that on a mac?).

But too be totally honest, I'm spending all my time trying to figure out how my new mac works and playing with photo booth, garage band, and iMovie (how does anyone get any work done on a mac?). :D
    Andrew

• Options
    edited April 25, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    I'll probably have to check out coda. I've been using Microsoft Visual Studio for my web work for so long its going to be hard to find anything else I like. Possibly Eclipse (anyone used that on a mac?).

But too be totally honest, I'm spending all my time trying to figure out how my new mac works and playing with photo booth, garage band, and iMovie (how does anyone get any work done on a mac?). :D

Glad you're having fun.

Most of that will wear off and you'll get back to work after a bit. I haven't opened Photobooth in ages. Garage Band in longer. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    It's in beta, but AppFresh is definitely worth checking out.
    Moderator Emeritus