Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    How do you handle that kind of "load" without getting the shakes? Do you have withdrawal on the weekend? eek7.gif I have to really watch it on the caffeine load before event shoots particularly. Guess I'm just a lightweight, yet caffeine IS my drug o' choice.

wave.gif hiya lynne :D at night, and on the weekends, or whenever i'm not near a starbucks, i can make my own... this is the machine i have at home, it's wonderful.

matinee.jpg

you can get them from dick meade's website
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2005
    of espresso, and great apple customer service
    so, on friday i received a new ipod i had ordered. turns out, it has a faulty drive. i called apple, they said "no prob, we'll ship you a return box, send it to us and we'll get you a new one." that was friday. today is monday, 940am, and the dhl driver just stopped at my house with the empty box for me to return ship it. i gave the dhl driver a quick espresso (see above) and then opened the box, put my ipod in it, and it's already on it's way back to apple. now the *really* smart thing is that apple included in the box, a bunch of peel-off packaging tape, so i could reseal the box easily. and the shipping label to me, was a two-parter, so i tore off the top, and the return label was already on the box properly addressed back to apple. i gave it to the dhl driver, and done...
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2005
    a little word about mushkin ram
    i bought some new ram for my g5 - 2gb more. mushkin was recommended to me by a geek friend of mine... he even sent me the link to order. trouble is, he fat fingered the link and i got next day 2gb of pc ram, not apple mac guaranteed ram. no biggie - i called mushkin (they answered the phone with a live person) and the next day i had the correct ram in my hands via fedex, and it's in the machine now.

good service, good prices.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2005
    Kudo's to Applecare.

I have a Ti PB, bought in Dec 2002 along with the Applecare ext warranty.

A month ago I noticed it really starting to show its age. The case was separating, the airport card reception not so good (not that it ever was on this model) and I had many stuck pixels on the LCD screen, along with the dreaded keyboard markings on the LCD.

I took it back to Apple on August 30th, I received it back yesterday, almost a month. This part did not make me happy, but my PB was also sent to their Houston, TX repair facility, so they were evacuated for a few days due to Rita. It was also delay due to parts needed, which is understandable since it has been out of production for so long.

The good news:

new LCD screen
    new lower half case, plus trackpad
    My airport card work extremely well vs how it was before I sent it off. I had to previously use an PC card modem to have decent reception.

So nice job, sooner would have been better, but it sure it nice and feels as close to a new laptop as it can. thumb.gif

I did have an old PB 3400 repair under Applecare years ago and it was returned blazingly fast within 48-72 hours including the shipping time back and forth.
  • Options
    patch29 wrote:
    Kudo's to Applecare.

I have a Ti PB, bought in Dec 2002 along with the Applecare ext warranty.

A month ago I noticed it really starting to show its age. The case was separating, the airport card reception not so good (not that it ever was on this model) and I had many stuck pixels on the LCD screen, along with the dreaded keyboard markings on the LCD.

I took it back to Apple on August 30th, I received it back yesterday, almost a month. This part did not make me happy, but my PB was also sent to their Houston, TX repair facility, so they were evacuated for a few days due to Rita. It was also delay due to parts needed, which is understandable since it has been out of production for so long.

The good news:

new LCD screen
    new lower half case, plus trackpad
    My airport card work extremely well vs how it was before I sent it off. I had to previously use an PC card modem to have decent reception.

So nice job, sooner would have been better, but it sure it nice and feels as close to a new laptop as it can. thumb.gif

I did have an old PB 3400 repair under Applecare years ago and it was returned blazingly fast within 48-72 hours including the shipping time back and forth.

i put applecare on everything. great story, patch.
  • Options
    ipod replaced
    andy wrote:
    so, on friday i received a new ipod i had ordered. turns out, it has a faulty drive. i called apple, they said "no prob, we'll ship you a return box, send it to us and we'll get you a new one." that was friday. today is monday, 940am, and the dhl driver just stopped at my house with the empty box for me to return ship it. i gave the dhl driver a quick espresso (see above) and then opened the box, put my ipod in it, and it's already on it's way back to apple. now the *really* smart thing is that apple included in the box, a bunch of peel-off packaging tape, so i could reseal the box easily. and the shipping label to me, was a two-parter, so i tore off the top, and the return label was already on the box properly addressed back to apple. i gave it to the dhl driver, and done...

one day after they got the ipod, i got a nice email saying a new ipod was in the mail to me, unit replaced. they really have customer service down pat.
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    Andy, caffeine hound first class--you never have to go through withdrawal.

I may have mentioned my AppleCare experience, a small nagging display problem and after a few trips over the warranty period, in within one month of expiration they gave me a new PB, current-shipping-product.

When they started doing the "you have to wait for the BOX" thing, I was a little frustrated, but soon saw how it streamlined the turnaround, not to mention the prepay and the anonymity of their box--nobody knew it was a laptop inside. Well, a good laptop.

I get AppleCare on my laptops, but usually don't recommend it on the desktops unless they're first gen.
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    What a cool thread. :D
    I have learned some neat tricks that I never knew before and I've had a mac for the last 7 years!!

Does anyone perchance know what's wrong with my keyboard on my powerbook. It won't type the lowercase Q as some might have noticed in some of my posts. I have tried an external keyboard and the same applies.
    I didn't purchase the applecare ext warranty, :thwak and it happened just after the 12 month warranty expired.

I might just ride it out till they release a new G5 Powerbook.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    SnapHappy wrote:
    I might just ride it out till they release a new G5 Powerbook.

Maybe you haven't read, but that's never going to happen. Intel, baby.
    Does anyone perchance know what's wrong with my keyboard on my powerbook. It won't type the lowercase Q as some might have noticed in some of my posts. I have tried an external keyboard and the same applies.

The fact that it happens with the external points to it not being hardware, I would think.

Have you run basic maintenance?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    DavidTO wrote:
    Maybe you haven't read, but that's never going to happen. Intel, baby.

The fact that it happens with the external points to it not being hardware, I would think.

Have you run basic maintenance?

Thanks for that link, I shall spend some time going through it to try and sort the problem out.
  • Options
    Having trouble convincing your friends that Mac is the way to go?

Here's a great piece written by a tech writer that upgraded from years of Windows use to the Macintosh. You can read the full, monthly log here, but the shorthand conclusion is this PDF and this Excel spreadsheet outlining the Total Cost of Ownership: warning, this link will download the file.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    David...
    Nice article David, thanks for the link. I've been working the Dell & Apple webpages pretty heavily the last few weeks trying to decide if the cost is worth it to switch to Apple - my Dell laptop is on its last leg and as I've just upgraded to a 20D, I need a more powerful machine to process my images. This article pretty much sums up all the conclusions I've come to from my research. Let me just pose a quick question for you and all the other Mac users: I'll probably end up buying a Power Mac G5 2Ghz dual with 1 GB RAM.

Could you please comment on if this will be suitable for PS CS2 & the 20D RAW files? Also, which video card is recommended (ie do I really need the most expensive one or will the factory card do as well)? Finally, as the Apple 20" cinema display adds an extra $700 (with a student discount), are there other suitable alternatives that you could recommend (and I've been doing massive amounts of research on the net for this, but haven't come to any solid conclusions).

Thanks,
    Kevin K.
  • Options
    KevinKal wrote:
    Let me just pose a quick question for you and all the other Mac users: I'll probably end up buying a Power Mac G5 2Ghz dual with 1 GB RAM.

Could you please comment on if this will be suitable for PS CS2 & the 20D RAW files? Also, which video card is recommended (ie do I really need the most expensive one or will the factory card do as well)? Finally, as the Apple 20" cinema display adds an extra $700 (with a student discount), are there other suitable alternatives that you could recommend (and I've been doing massive amounts of research on the net for this, but haven't come to any solid conclusions).

Thanks,
    Kevin K.

1. factory card is just fine
    2. get your ram from crucial.com or mushkin.com (i've used both) and put it in yourself, you'll save a load of cash - buy the g5 with the base 512mb of ram. putting the ram in the g5 takes about 90 seconds.
    3. i'd get more ram - by buying ram from crucial, you'll be able to get 2gb for the same price as the apple ram.
    4. lots of displays out there, go into a compusa or bestbuy and look at all of them... it's a personal thing. i really really like the apple display, but others are really fine, too.

you won't regret the upgrade.
  • Options
    Yes, it'll be fine. Get more RAM. Third party, I recommend crucial.com.

Don't worry about the graphics card.

When I process 20D RAW files and hit save, by the time I get back into Bridge to open the JPEG for editing, it's already there. It's fast, and I have the dual 2ghz.

I'm not the guy to be recommending displays other than Apple, as I have no experience and have done no research. Dell makes a good one, I hear, but someone else should guide you there.

This is a handy site, too.

KevinKal wrote:
    Nice article David, thanks for the link. I've been working the Dell & Apple webpages pretty heavily the last few weeks trying to decide if the cost is worth it to switch to Apple - my Dell laptop is on its last leg and as I've just upgraded to a 20D, I need a more powerful machine to process my images. This article pretty much sums up all the conclusions I've come to from my research. Let me just pose a quick question for you and all the other Mac users: I'll probably end up buying a Power Mac G5 2Ghz dual with 1 GB RAM.

Thanks,
    Kevin K.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Great minds think alike, some just type faster.

Actually, I spent some time digging around for that link. Check it out, it's pretty cool.
    andy wrote:
    1. factory card is just fine
    2. get your ram from crucial.com or mushkin.com (i've used both) and put it in yourself, you'll save a load of cash - buy the g5 with the base 512mb of ram. putting the ram in the g5 takes about 90 seconds.
    3. i'd get more ram - by buying ram from crucial, you'll be able to get 2gb for the same price as the apple ram.
    4. lots of displays out there, go into a compusa or bestbuy and look at all of them... it's a personal thing. i really really like the apple display, but others are really fine, too.

you won't regret the upgrade.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    Excellent!
    Andy & David,

First rate, thank you for the information and quick replies. When I was shooting my 717 I had no idea how expensive this hobby was; now that I have the 20D, I want a Crumpler backpack, 17-40 L, upgrade to PS CS2, Power Mac G5 with 20" screen....sheesh!

I'll place my Apple order then and get on with the addiction:D

Thanks again,
    Kevin K.
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    This is a handy site, too.

BTW, if you do go to this site, think about making a small donation. This guy's put a whole lotta work into that site, and if you find it of value, help him out!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    jmathewjmathew Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Help! - Virtual vs. non-imaginary PC???
    Anyone out there have experience with Virtual PC?

My imac is coming this week clap.gif (last mac I used was a IIc...remember that?) but I still need a windows system to get into the hospital network for work - cant do it off a mac.

I was wondering if virtual PC would help with this - or should I keep my pc running on the side?

This is also interesting....creating a dual mac-pc system:

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/productivity/how-to-turn-your-dualmonitor-pc-into-a-dual-macpc-system-106123.php

David - please don't be upset that I didnt come to you first!

-Jeff
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    jmathew wrote:

My imac is coming this week clap.gif (last mac I used was a IIc...remember that?) but I still need a windows system to get into the hospital network for work - cant do it off a mac.

I was wondering if virtual PC would help with this - or should I keep my pc running on the side?

This is also interesting....creating a dual mac-pc system:

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/productivity/how-to-turn-your-dualmonitor-pc-into-a-dual-macpc-system-106123.php

David - please don't be upset that I didnt come to you first!

-Jeff

That's what the forum is for, and posting in this thread, you are coming to me first! ;) (How's that for cocky?)

I've never run VPC, but it's not as good as running on a PC, obviously. Slower and buggier. It'll do, though. Hold onto your PC and do some more research first.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    Ha - I expected that though!

There will be PLENTY o' questions from me as I get re-aquainted with the mac world in the upcoming few days and weeks!

DavidTO wrote:
    That's what the forum is for, and posting in this thread, you are coming to me first! ;) (How's that for cocky?)

I've never run VPC, but it's not as good as running on a PC, obviously. Slower and buggier. It'll do, though. Hold onto your PC and do some more research first.
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    jmathew wrote:
    Ha - I expected that though!

There will be PLENTY o' questions from me as I get re-aquainted with the mac world in the upcoming few days and weeks!

wave.gif hiya jefy! :D
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    jmathew wrote:
    VPC on a Mac is slow. Probably because on a Mac it has to do instruction translation, rather than just a form of boxed execution.

Hence you really shouldn't judge the speed you will get on a Mac by the speed VPC runs on a PC, in case you've tried it... The slowdown is no-ones fault, just an inevitable side-effect of the instruction translation process... (Or so I guess)
    I would keep the pc. I have a friend who develops for both PC and Mac, and found VPC so slow on a fairly good Mac that he had to buy a PC to do testing. Scarily he found that his ~800Mhz PC runs better than VPC on a good Mac (sorry, I don't know the spec). They may not be typical, but it should give you some indication.

Hope this helps,

Luke
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    Thanks for the help -

In terms of what I need, speed may not be a big issue. I mainly need to just be able to get on to web-based hospital information systems - citrix based, and as long as I can make the connection and get on I'd be happy, even it its a bit slower. I wont need to be running any applications that I couldnt do on the mac....I think....or at least I hope. Hopefully the buy/sell boards on here and FM wont work on my mac, so I can quit spending so much $$$.
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    jmathew wrote:
    Thanks for the help -

In terms of what I need, speed may not be a big issue. I mainly need to just be able to get on to web-based hospital information systems - citrix based, and as long as I can make the connection and get on I'd be happy, even it its a bit slower. I wont need to be running any applications that I couldnt do on the mac....I think....or at least I hope. Hopefully the buy/sell boards on here and FM wont work on my mac, so I can quit spending so much $$$.

Well, then it becomes a trade off in convenience. A little slower, buggier as VPC, and you gotta boot into it. And now your mac has all that ugly windows stuff on it (you'll understand once you get into it)

-or-

You have an extra box sitting around, taking up space, cluttering the nice space you've got set up for that beautiful little mac...

see? all about trade offs
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    see? all about trade offs

I thought it was all about food....!
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2005
    imac, mousing arm getting tired......
    Well the imac arrived, and I REALLY had no idea how huge this thing was going to be! Its gorgeous though - and its an incredible screen.

They shipped it with Panther instead of Tiger though - so Im very annoyed 'cause I was planning on playing with widgets all night!

Annoyance #2 - I need a scroll button, too much screen real estate to not have one!

Hows the mighty mouse? Any opinions yet?
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    jmathew wrote:

Mice are very personal, but I am much happier with a standard 2-button scroll wheel mouse. If you want to scroll sideways, just scroll with a key. (It's Shift-scroll in some apps, and a different key in some other apps.)
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    jmathew wrote:
    Well the imac arrived, and I REALLY had no idea how huge this thing was going to be! Its gorgeous though - and its an incredible screen.

They shipped it with Panther instead of Tiger though - so Im very annoyed 'cause I was planning on playing with widgets all night!

Annoyance #2 - I need a scroll button, too much screen real estate to not have one!

Who sold it to you with Panther? That's ridiculous. I would complain. Vociferously.

Mighty Mouse is mighty cool, but yes, it's a very personal decision, and it's not cheap enough to give it a whirl without a test drive. Try one out, if you can. Shift-scroll is horizontal scrolling everywhere that I know of that it's availalble.

Congratulations!

After you've given it a few days and just played, we can start covering the basic care and maintenance of your new Macintosh.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Tiger was released in April. The last iMac update was in May. So by my thinking, you got the previous generation iMac. Who was the reseller?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    If this is a new machine (not used or refurbished) the only acceptable way to receive it with Panther is if they also included Tiger in your stack of discs that should be in the box. That's how it was with my PowerBook because I bought around the time they had released a new OS. Nobody should be selling new Macs with Panther today. Check that stack.