Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    jmathewjmathew Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    imac
    I got it from macmall - the 1.8ghz 20" and on the website it clearly says Tiger 10.4 included: Its the first one on the last row on the link below-

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/newimac/

I called, and they said too that the disk should be provided, but its nowhere to be found. I got a "we will have to look into this and get back to you" initially, which generated a not so good reaction for me. The last he said was that they'll be getting it out to me once they clarify that its what I should have gotten.

colourbox wrote:
    If this is a new machine (not used or refurbished) the only acceptable way to receive it with Panther is if they also included Tiger in your stack of discs that should be in the box. That's how it was with my PowerBook because I bought around the time they had released a new OS. Nobody should be selling new Macs with Panther today. Check that stack.
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    jmathew wrote:
    I got it from macmall - the 1.8ghz 20" and on the website it clearly says Tiger 10.4 included: Its the first one on the last row on the link below-

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/newimac/

I called, and they said too that the disk should be provided, but its nowhere to be found. I got a "we will have to look into this and get back to you" initially, which generated a not so good reaction for me. The last he said was that they'll be getting it out to me once they clarify that its what I should have gotten.

Yeah, well, see that's not the current iMac. That's the previous generation, which may be the problem. You can't get a 1.8 20" from the current line up.

Let us know what happens.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    imac
    Yea - I knew that going into it - but I thought the .2 ghz difference wasnt worth $200 (I got 1gig ram instead), esp. since the website AND the salesperson I spoke to when ordering assured me it came with the lastest OS (he even admitted to remembering my asking about that).

I really think they are going to make this right, I havent gotten any indication that they wont yet at least - so far its just a minor annoyance - I had hoped to spend my weekend off figuring out what widgets I've been missing all my life.
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    Wow - Its taking some getting used to but its fun. I'd forgotten alot of keyboard shortcuts mainly.

For storing/saving files (hmm lets say - photos for example) - do most people just create various folders, or is it possible, or necessary to partition the hard drive/create a virtual one etc? Does it make a difference?
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    vogelvogel Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 6, 2005
    So I didn't read through ALL 25 pages, so please forgive me if this is a repeat, but since upgrading to OSX 10.4 I've found myself using the Spotlight feature to launch applications a lot. I simply hit Apple + Space then type the first few letters of the program I want to launch, arrow-key down once to the top hit and hit enter. It sounds like a lot, but if I'm typing in Word and I want to open Firefox there's no need to go to the mouse to launch it from the dock. Also, here's a list of apps that I find very handy as a photographer and general mac user:

PhotoMechanic - AWESOME lightbox software for viewing and tagging images. My first stop to get stuff imported after a shoot.

Firefox - Great browser, can be buggy, but usually not. With extensions found on their homepage and the Google/whatever search bar it's a major time saver.

Mail, iCal, Address book, iSync - So many features that integrate the first three and iSync to copy it all to my Sony-Ericsson T637 make them WAY more useful than Micro$oft Office.

Voodoo Pad - You know how Wikipedia works, well if you've got a lot of documents that reference other documents and each other, then Voodoo Pad is a great little person-Wiki program. And it's free for the lite version! I use it for class notes, but it makes a great idea scratch pad too.

Mac the Ripper and Roxio Popcorn - Want to make travel copies of your DVD collection, but don't have the $$ to invest in burning 9GB dual-layer DVD's? Well, with Mac the Ripper (free) you can copy an entire DVD (VIDEO-TS, AUDIO-TS, et all) onto your harddrive. Next, pick up a copy of Roxio's Popcorn ($20-some-odd) and it'll compress those 9GB of entertainment onto a plain-old, buy 'em at Staples, 4GB DVD. Heck, it'll even compress it to a CD, though you'll lose the quality that way. But even at half the size you are VERY hard pressed to notice a quality difference. VERY MUCH worth having if you have an in-car passenger entertainment system and find Finding Nemo is scratched after a month.

Transmit - I'm sure you all know this wonderful FTP tool, but did you know that with Mac's built in FTP server enabled you can use the Synchronize tool to do quick and easy backups to an external HD?
    1. Simply enable the FTP server in the Sharing window in System Preferences
    2. Open up Transmit and create a new favorite with these settings (use your login username as password):transmit.jpg
    3. Once connected and you have selected the folder you want to backup (maybe your Pictures folder, or your user folder) and have the same folder selected on the "Their Stuff" side (which should be on your external HD). Just hit the "Synchronize" button. Select the "Upload" button and the "Update" button in the dialog box then click OK and you're backing up!
    OpenOffice.org - This is an M$ Office replacement office suite that is still in the works. I just learned that they're ditching the ugly and clunky X11 interface and going to work full-time on a native Aqua interface! Keep an eye out for that version. I've used past versions and the compatibility with your friends' M$ Office is really good. There are some menu placement options missing, and not nearly as many templates, but if you're just typing a letter or a term paper then you're golden.

Hope those help, I know some are redundant and some are kind of complex, but that's the stuff that I use and love and I wanted to share 'em with everyone.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    Vogel,

All good info. Don't feel bad for not reading all 25 pages. Most of it's us blathering on, anyway.

Ever try Launchbar? Download and check out the demo. I used to program it to cmd-space, but since the advent of spotlight, I use ctl-space. It's an awesome application launcher, works a lot like spotlight, but it learns from you, so you can type "x" for Excel, for example. Or "sd" for SuperDuper. It's also better than spotlight for phone numbers, since it doesn't open the Address Book app to get to them. It just goes to that large display you could get from Address Book.

Anyway, great post, lots of good info. Keep it coming!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Vogel,

All good info. Don't feel bad for not reading all 25 pages. Most of it's us blathering on, anyway.

Ever try Launchbar? Download and check out the demo. I used to program it to cmd-space, but since the advent of spotlight, I use ctl-space. It's an awesome application launcher, works a lot like spotlight, but it learns from you, so you can type "x" for Excel, for example. Or "sd" for SuperDuper. It's also better than spotlight for phone numbers, since it doesn't open the Address Book app to get to them. It just goes to that large display you could get from Address Book.

Anyway, great post, lots of good info. Keep it coming!
    I'll check that out, sounds like that phone number thing is pretty pretty cool.

Another program that some people might like is Salling Clicker. This is a program you can use with a lot of Bluetooth enabled cell phones for controlling a TON of things on your computer. Got a presentation to give? Use Salling Clicker on your cell to do move between slides. Using iTunes in your computer room to send music to your living room stereo? Don't get up to change tracks, use Salling Clicker to browse your entire library and change tracks, volume, etc. There is SOOOO much more this little wonder can do with a Bluetooth phone.

Some of you may have a lot of windows open at once - Mail, iCal, Word, Photoshop, iChat are almost always up on mine. But that makes for a lot of clutter. While the hot corners and f-keys are nice with Expose, SpiritedAway will hide windows which are inactive for a specified amount of time. So, if you're not working in Mail and just want to leave it open to have it check your email every so often, just work on something else and after a minute or two Mail will be hidden and free up your desktop. Just clik on the dock icon or cmd + Tab to it and it reappears!

Oh, and perhaps MOST IMPORTANTLY, everyone should be partitioning their hard drives into at least a System partition and a Data partition. I use iPartition which comes with a copy of iDefrag Lite. iDefrag Lite defragments and compresses the data currently on your hard drive, then iPartition uses the newly free space to set up mulitple partitions on your internal HD. Once that's done you can safely copy your user folder and all the data in it to the Data partition. Once that's done go into Netinfo Manager (in the Utilities folder), find the users menu, then find your user name in the list. Highlight it, and find the "home" property and change its value to the directory where you copied your user folder to (see image at bottom). That was easy, right? Now you can reboot, then safely delete your old user folder. Perhaps a writeup w/ full pictures is in order here? That way you can do a completely clean install of your next upgrade to the OS and keep all your data from the old system. To do this on an internal HD which is currently running your OS you'll need to make a bootable CD. This can easily be done with BootCD from Charlessoft. Just make a bootable CD which has a copy of iPartition and iDefrag Lite on the image and you're good to go.

Something else you can use iPartition for is to create multiple partitions on a large external HD (at least 200+ depending on if you're storing large amounts of photography). Then, with these partitions, use OS X's Disk Utility's RAID function to make a mirrored RAID-1 setup on the external. I think you need at least 2 partitions to make that work. I don't personally do this, but it's something I've seen done for the SUPER data safety conscious.

Here's the image of how to change the folder that is your user folder. Just make sure it is a exacte duplicate of the original user's folder found on the HD.
    netinfo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2005
    Good info, except for the "everyone needs to partition their drive" part. I'd have to disagree with that.

Spirited Away is new to me, gonna check that one out.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2005
    Update: Tiger is on the way - will be here monday
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2005
    jmathew wrote:
    Update: Tiger is on the way - will be here monday

Awesome.

Before updating, you need to make sure that everything is pristine on your computer. It's a major update.

Do the following:

1) Open Disk Utility (it's in your utilities folder in your applications folder). Make sure your drive is selected. The click "Repair Permissions". When that's done, quite Disk Utility.

2) Then get your original Panther install disk ready. Put it in the slot, but don't push it in. Restart your computer and when you hear the chime push the disk in and hold down the "c" key. This will start your computer from the CD (or DVD). In that disk, and I forget exactly how you navigate there, but select Disk Utility from the menu bar. It should be: Select Installer > Disk Utility from the menu bar. Run "Repair Disk".

These two steps will ensure that your system is in perfect working order before you upgrade to Tiger.

Now you have a couple of options when you upgrade. You can select a simple upgrade, which will just upgrade your system, leaving everything where it was. This is the easiest way to upgrade.

If you don't yet have any important files on your Mac, then erase and install. This will reformat your drive and put a clean installation on your disk. Of course, if they send you upgrade disks instead of the full install disks, this will not be an option.

The other option is archive and install, which is a nice compromise between the first two. This will keep all your user files, but will rename your old system as "old", taking up extra space and possibly requiring that you reinstall 3rd party apps, and really should be dumped ASAP.

There's a good walk-through here. Don't let the upgrade process scare you off. Like I said, it's a major upgrade and the installer needs to do a lot of work. You need to make sure that you lay the groundwork as well as possible.

But really, if you just installed the upgrade without doing any of this, you'd probably be fine, too. Better safe than sorry, though, right?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Good info, except for the "everyone needs to partition their drive" part. I'd have to disagree with that.
    Spirited Away is new to me, gonna check that one out.

I would also disagree about partitioning. I am OK with it for desktop users with one or more ginormous >200GB hard drives. However, if your computer only has one hard drive and it's a space-constrained laptop or low-end desktop drive, I advise against partitioning due to the way it limits how much free space you can have on any volume. The partitions chop up your free space so each gets full faster, especially as unarchived RAW files pile up, OS X adds swap files, and apps like Photoshop and DVD authoring software create their GB+ temp files. If you make your system partition too small, your apps will start to die. And I've never been able to make a system partition that didn't get full a whole lot sooner than I thought it would, due to the growth in size of each new version of applications and the system, and the apps that want to put big temp files on the system volume. One partition maximizes your free space because it's all on one volume. Data security? That is now the job of my daily bootable whole-disk mirror backups.

Spirited Away is kinda neat. I dislike the menu icon, but if you do a Show Package Contents on the app you can edit the PNG to something more pleasing.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    If you don't yet have any important files on your Mac, then erase and install. This will reformat your drive and put a clean installation on your disk. Of course, if they send you upgrade disks instead of the full install disks, this will not be an option.

I dont have anything important on the computer yet - I have been holding off doing anything because I knew I'd be updating. The only apps I've installed are the canon utilities- given that- are the first 2 steps still necessary - or still recommended - its essentially a like new machine.
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    jmathew wrote:
    I dont have anything important on the computer yet - I have been holding off doing anything because I knew I'd be updating. The only apps I've installed are the canon utilities- given that- are the first 2 steps still necessary - or still recommended - its essentially a like new machine.

You can skip the first one, but I would still run the Disk Utility from the install disk. Make sure you do an erase and install. You will then have to reinstall the Canon stuff.

Of course, if they only provide you with an UPGRADE disk, you will have to do both.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    You guys are a great help - thanks again. Now, lets all meet here Monday night when I actually install it!

David - Im already looking forward to the widgets - please tell me there is something like a sticky appointments/to do list/daily calendar type thing - it'll be the first one I get!
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    jmathew wrote:
    You guys are a great help - thanks again. Now, lets all meet here Monday night when I actually install it!

David - Im already looking forward to the widgets - please tell me there is something like a sticky appointments/to do list/daily calendar type thing - it'll be the first one I get!

Actually, just use iCal. There are two widgets that work with it. iCal Events and iCal ToDo. They will display events and todos in your iCal calendars.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    You can find most widgets here or here.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    Phew,26 pages...eek7.gif
    david ..you & andy will be answerable to this one day.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    26 pages...david ..you & andy will be answerable to this one day.

Did you actually read all 26? I could have saved you the trouble, mate. Just get the Mac and we'll set you up.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    I would also disagree about partitioning. I am OK with it for desktop users with one or more ginormous >200GB hard drives.
    I can get with that for the most part. I like this option even though I'm working on a 80GB laptop HD because I'm one of those people who constantly has the latest greatest system update. But I like to do clean installs too, so the split solution works pretty well for me. I have a 200GB external that I do a full backup to and I archive anything more than 6 months old off the internal HD onto DVD's and keep them cataloged with Catolog. This is a new system for me so I'm still tweaking it, but so far it's worked quite well.

As a cautionary tale, I thought I had a full backup of all my images and documents the last time I did an erase and install for OSX 10.4. Instead I had a directory structure backup but no files! :uhoh I lost 3 months worth of photographs. That's when I went to the partitioned system. So, MAKE SURE A BACKUP WORKS BEFORE YOU GO AND ERASE STUFF!!

And I kind of like the little Pacman ghost guy for SpiritedAway...
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    How cool is this ? someones blog.

b..b...bb...you mac guys already knew this about mac.. right ?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

that's great, 'gus... hit this site a few times, and you'll already be used to how the mac works by the time you get it! deal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    I had the same thing happen when I was using Chronosync. I use SuperDuper now, and no problems. Take a look at that one. It has a "sandbox" feature that's targeted at people that want to be able to install the latest system but easily go back if it breaks something. Pretty cool.
    vogel wrote:
    I can get with that for the most part. I like this option even though I'm working on a 80GB laptop HD because I'm one of those people who constantly has the latest greatest system update. But I like to do clean installs too, so the split solution works pretty well for me. I have a 200GB external that I do a full backup to and I archive anything more than 6 months old off the internal HD onto DVD's and keep them cataloged with Catolog. This is a new system for me so I'm still tweaking it, but so far it's worked quite well.

As a cautionary tale, I thought I had a full backup of all my images and documents the last time I did an erase and install for OSX 10.4. Instead I had a directory structure backup but no files! :uhoh I lost 3 months worth of photographs. That's when I went to the partitioned system. So, MAKE SURE A BACKUP WORKS BEFORE YOU GO AND ERASE STUFF!!

And I kind of like the little Pacman ghost guy for SpiritedAway...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    You can skip the first one, but I would still run the Disk Utility from the install disk. Make sure you do an erase and install. You will then have to reinstall the Canon stuff.

Of course, if they only provide you with an UPGRADE disk, you will have to do both.

JMatthew,

Actually, this part isn't exactly right. If you're doing an erase and install, you should use the Disk Utility to reformat your drive, which means you won't need to repair the disk with Disk Utility.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Never saw that blog before. Cool.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    HELP!? messed up images in mac
    AAArgh!

First time uploading pics to the new mac and something is screwy.

http://jmathew.smugmug.com/photos/popup.mg?popUp=true&ImageID=39178666&Size=Large

they actually look worse than that - lots of static, garbage etc. For some reason when posted to smugmug and displayed here its just grayed out.

When saved, the jpegs are "corrupt" and wont open in preview. The raw files will open but are all messed up too.

BUT - its not the actual pictures on the CF card....
    Connected the card reader back to the pc - and all the files are perfectly ok...

http://jmathew.smugmug.com/photos/popup.mg?popUp=true&ImageID=39178082&Size=Large

I've used multiple apps - DPP, eos viewer, image capture, and they all result in these bad files - any clues? Bad usb connection from card reader to the imac?

and why arent my images embedded in the post like they used to be?
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    That's an incomplete transfer. At least the smugmug pic looks like that. Like you aborted partway through.

Maybe a bad connection. It's odd, never seen that. Try another USB port.
    jmathew wrote:
    AAArgh!

First time uploading pics to the new mac and something is screwy.

http://jmathew.smugmug.com/photos/popup.mg?popUp=true&ImageID=39178666&Size=Large

they actually look worse than that - lots of static, garbage etc. For some reason when posted to smugmug and displayed here its just grayed out.

When saved, the jpegs are "corrupt" and wont open in preview. The raw files will open but are all messed up too.

BUT - its not the actual pictures on the CF card....
    Connected the card reader back to the pc - and all the files are perfectly ok...

http://jmathew.smugmug.com/photos/popup.mg?popUp=true&ImageID=39178082&Size=Large

I've used multiple apps - DPP, eos viewer, image capture, and they all result in these bad files - any clues? Bad usb connection from card reader to the imac?

and why arent my images embedded in the post like they used to be?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    That's an incomplete transfer. At least the smugmug pic looks like that. Like you aborted partway through.

Maybe a bad connection. It's odd, never seen that. Try another USB port.

If you're on IM, send me a PM and maybe I can help you.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2005
    corrupted images when uploaded to mac, not PC
    FEI: (for everyone's info)

Read on another board about a similar problem to mine - had to do with a CF card that did well on PC but not on mac when used with a card reader.

Tried switching CF cards (Kingston then Lexar) - same problem - and no problem with either when camera directly hooked up to the computer.

So - thinking some sort of card reader issue (its a cheap Dazzle high speed 2.0 multi-reader). Could still be a Panther vs. Tiger issue too, as David is pointing out to me. Just wanted to update in case others ever have a similar problem. Thanks again to David for his personalized help!
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    Still not working...
    Ok - upgraded to Tiger, still not able to upload the pictures without distortion...off to get a new card reader tomorrow..........
    Jefy Mathew