Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Its a new aluminium alright. I just want to burn some photos.

Edit:

Here you go.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    ahh...sandshoe
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    I like Toast Titanium for Burning DVDs
    This might be a little like using a sledgehammer to hammer a finishing nail rolleyes1.gif but I use Toast to do my burning. The big reason is that I can just say "Burn all this stuff and figure out how many DVDs I will need". It will allow for spanning multiple DVDs
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    .mac account question
    This question is for those of you who have a .mac account...

I noticed you can use your own domain name for a .mac account web page, but does this also work for .mac account email addresses too
    (i.e. andrew@MyDomainName.com)?
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    grassygrassy Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    After 20+ years in the IT sector, I still find this a "religious" argument that will never be settled..mac vs pc...and lately..Nikons/canons/Pentax seems to fall in the same category...

Like beta and VHS (remember those) the market did decide..beta was better but lost due to many reasons..

For computers ...Business Week stated in '06 - "But Apple has just 5% of the $75 billion home PC market " ...that has been steady give or take a few points for a long time...

As a consumer...I try to avoid proprietary systems or buying orphans…so I not only look at the box..which is really secondary, but what programs I want to run on it…if you were a developer, which market would be your first choice ? ...and lastly the cost because there really is no inherent value in technology...as soon as you buy, you find it less expensive immediately or something better has come out...

The days of the mac being the clear winner in the desktop publishing market or processing market and the pc being the "business machine" are really over however, I think the mac still has a clear advantage in the music scene...

Just my thoughts :)
    Ian.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    The Mac also has a pretty clear advantage in the photography scene amongst the "thought leaders."

The entire LR team uses Macs (well, save the poor sots who have to do the PC port, which has a lot more problems than the Mac version -- look at their forums ;-)
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    I'm realy not trying to pick a fight w/ this. But where is this documentation that prove clear advantages from an end user standpoint?

I would think this info would be more widely used as leverage in the never ending Mac/Windows debate.

I'm always open to new info. I've just never head anything like this.
  • Options
    grassygrassy Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    The Mac also has a pretty clear advantage in the photography scene amongst the "thought leaders."

The entire LR team uses Macs (well, save the poor sots who have to do the PC port, which has a lot more problems than the Mac version -- look at their forums ;-)

No offense intended but Mac users consider themselves "thought leaders."
    What a Hoot !!!!!!!!!!!!!rolleyes1.gif Have you any idea how that sounds ???

What is a LR team ?? are you referring to that klunky package by adobe ?

"thought Leaders"....good one :D:D:D:D ....perhaps Apple could use that in their next ad..
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2007
    grassy wrote:

"thought Leaders"....good one :D:D:D:D ....perhaps Apple could use that in their next ad..

OK. This stops here. No trolling, baiting, or bashing. :D

You can trash Apple all you want right here. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    grassy wrote:

The "thought leaders" are among photographer, not among computer users.

I'm saying... pick an influential and technologically savvy photographer, and see what they are using (Mac or PC). You're backwards on your assessment.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    The "thought leaders" are among photographer, not among computer users.

I'm saying... pick an influential and technologically savvy photographer, and see what they are using (Mac or PC). You're backwards on your assessment.
    There are allot of incredibly talented/smart photogs that use PC's. So back to the question you may have missed: What is the clear advantage you mentioned?
    CatOne wrote:
    Mac's are great machines, I'm not debating that. But it sounds like your basing your assessment on opinions of your mentors. I'm more interested in data showing the reasons for your comments. ear.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited December 23, 2007
    So I have a question. How come you can't just go down to the Apple store and
    buy a freakin' bluetooth/wifi card and install it in a mac pro yourself?

Ugh.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    grassy wrote:
    No offense intended
    But you will imply it anyway.

Move on if you intend to start baiting...this is not the sort of forum that tolerates it. If there is nothing for you in a thread then simply move on.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    So I have a question. How come you can't just go down to the Apple store and
    buy a freakin' bluetooth/wifi card and install it in a mac pro yourself?

Ugh.

Dunno. The only thing I can tell you is that you can use a USB one, for about $20, but it won't wake from sleep like the built-in ones do.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    This question is for those of you who have a .mac account...

I noticed you can use your own domain name for a .mac account web page, but does this also work for .mac account email addresses too
    (i.e. andrew@MyDomainName.com)?
    So no one is using .mac? headscratch.gif Not a good deal? Wrong thread?

One negative thing about Apple, is the documentation sux, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this question on a photog forum.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited December 23, 2007
    Hi Andrew.

I had a .mac account for about a year. I decided not to renew. But only because
    the services that are of interest to most people are of no interest to me.
    I don't need backups and I don't really need the e-mail and up until recently,
    I didn't need the 1:1 dealio that keeps all of your macs in sync with one another.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    So no one is using .mac? headscratch.gif Not a good deal? Wrong thread?

One negative thing about Apple, is the documentation sux, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this question on a photog forum.

I think you can, but don't quote me on this. A quick call to apple care would be the best way to get an answer for this.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2007
    I use .Mac, but simply don't know the answer to your question. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I use .Mac, but simply don't know the answer to your question. ne_nau.gif

Actually, I don't understand your question. Why would you need .Mac to get involved in your custom domain email? Why not just configure Mail.app to get that mail? What is it that you're trying to accomplish?

And lastly, seeing as how I don't really understand your problem, I'm not really sure if this is the answer you're looking for. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 24, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Really? Are you referring to the Apple support forums? I've gone there twice when I stumped the folks here, and found my answer in a few minutes. ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 24, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Mac's are great machines, I'm not debating that. But it sounds like your basing your assessment on opinions of your mentors. I'm more interested in data showing the reasons for your comments. ear.gif
    I can think of a couple of historical reasons that help explain the predominance of Macs among photographers.

In the bad ol' days, Apple did a much better job of making sure that the color of printed output matched the color on the screen. In large part, this was because Apple controlled all of the hardware then, printers and monitors as well as the CPU, whereas anarchy reigned in the PC world.

The other key point is that Photoshop was originally developed on Macs for Mac only. PC versions were not even available until four years later, and for a number of years after that, development was still done on Macs, then ported to PCs. As a result, PC versions always lagged behind the Mac, much as Mac versions of the Microsoft Office suite lag behind Windows today. Nobody likes to wait for the latest and greatest.

This gave Apple a tremendous head start among photographers. Since Macs have always been more user friendly than Windows--and switching platforms has a cost--there was never any reason for the early users of Photoshop to switch once the Windows versions reached parity with the Macs. By then, it was too late for Windows: everyone knew that photographers used Macs, so newbie photographers naturally gravitated to Apple. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Regards,
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Actually, I don't understand your question. Why would you need .Mac to get involved in your custom domain email? Why not just configure Mail.app to get that mail? What is it that you're trying to accomplish?

And lastly, seeing as how I don't really understand your problem, I'm not really sure if this is the answer you're looking for. :D

I have a family web site (gorohoff.com) that I set up years and years ago with a hosting company that was affordable at the time. Over the years the hosting company has become (relatively speaking) very unaffordable, and I've been too lazy to move my site. My site is just simple HTML web site, but the hosting company also hosts my email addresses (which members of my family are using for there personal email).

I really need to move my family web site to a new less expensive hosting better solution, and I thought I could do that and add some other cool features by moving it all to .mac. I need want to preserve the domain name and keep everyones email addresses. I suppose I could just find a third party to do email hosting for me and get .mac for the web hosting.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Really? Are you referring to the Apple support forums? I've gone there twice when I stumped the folks here, and found my answer in a few minutes. ne_nau.gif

I haven't done a lot of heavy searching on the Apple support forums, however I did search all over Apple's help and .mac's help. Couldn't find my answer. Apple's help seem to all be limited to the most basic sort of technical questions.

Thinking back over the past year, I think I've gotten my best mac support from dgrin. :D But it was dgrin members that did a lot to convinced me to make the switch to mac.

I guess its time to start posting questions to Apple's forums.

Thanks.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    everyone knew that photographers used Macs, so newbie photographers naturally gravitated to Apple. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Well put Richard. This is what I thought. But now I know thanks to your post.

BTW Macs are prevalent in all the creative fields. I do allot of design work and all the design/Illistrator forums I belong to feel the same way about Macs.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:

Any hints on searching cause I am getting a lot frustrated with my results of getting a hard drive connected to Airport Extreme and now every so often when I insert an audio CD to rip to iTunes it just plain disappears. I am beginning to think about format and reinstall but the tweaks to get everything working again has me concerned.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    Any hints on searching cause I am getting a lot frustrated with my results of getting a hard drive connected to Airport Extreme and now every so often when I insert an audio CD to rip to iTunes it just plain disappears. I am beginning to think about format and reinstall but the tweaks to get everything working again has me concerned.

yeah, try something like this in google: site:apple.com airport hard drive connect

What kind of tweaks did you do? How did you install the first time, or were you new to the whole thing? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    yeah, try something like this in google: site:apple.com airport hard drive connect

What kind of tweaks did you do? How did you install the first time, or were you new to the whole thing? ear.gif

Okay, so I did the same search as you suggested and got the same results. Mine were a little different with airport extreme, but same no solution.

By tweaks, I probably should have said installing all the applications. Adobe Creative Suite 3, Lightroom, Office, VMWare Fusion, Boot Camp... etc. It is more about getting all the applications working and authorized again since the Creative Suite was an upgrade from Windows.

The way I did the hardware process was as follows:
    • Purchased Wife an iMac in May - connected perfectly well to Linksys infrastructure.
    • July wife purchased me a MacBookPro - also got Airport Extreme to get N speed as well as share drive and USB printers. Hooked up small (60GB) Western Digital Drive. All worked fine once put in a powered USB 2.0 hub. This was running Tiger.
    • October did the upgrade to Leopard to do BootCamp mainly. Stuff started acting a little quirkly. I thought it was due to the fact that the Western Digital Drive is USB powered.
    • November I purchased an Iomega UltraMax 500GB drive from the Apple store. Figure it comes preformatted and has seperate power supply.
    • December started calling Apple for support. They recommended I reformat the drive in GUID format, so I backed up everything and tried that. No change. They then recommend I create a different user and make sure that works. Well it doesn't always work under that user so it does not look like it a user issue.

The part that really has me puzzled headscratch.gif it works fine on my wife's iMac. If I logoff and logon I can get the drive for a few minutes but then it can go out in the weeds and I cannot get the drive back. In addition I cannot to the drive via IP address either. But it works fine from the wife's iMac running Leopard as well.:bash

I can also connect to it from a desktop Windows machine.

I have called Apple support two times now with still no resolution. It is limited to my MacBookPro.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    Interesting, as I find that Leopard is MUCH more reliable for network stuff, although I haven't done exactly as you've done.

How did you do the Leopard upgrade? The safest way is to do an archive and install. It saves all your apps, docs and network settings, but replaces every bit of the system. It leaves the old system on there, in case there are things you need from it, and labels it "Previous System". Anyway, for future reference, that's the best way to upgrade.

Anyway, it sure looks like you're not alone in this, from what I've read. You could check this out.

This is from macfixit.com, on a premium (subscription) page:
    Thursday, November 29 2007 @ 09:01 AM PST
    Mac OS X 10.5.x Special Report: AirPort Disk problems

Leopard's support for AirPort Disks (a USB disk connected, and accessed through, an AirPort Base Station, as a way of sharing a hard disk between multiple computers, often including Windows machines) is not all that it might be. The AirPort Disk Utility is gone, and Apple has a note saying they expect you to connect directly from the Shared section of the sidebar. But readers are reporting a variety of consistent symptoms, suggesting that this is not working correctly.

Wrong share One variety of problem is that the wrong share is being seen. From one reader:

After upgrade to Leopard, the airport disk shows up in the sidebar but I can only access the shares, even though it shows I'm connected as a privileged user.

Another:

On my Airport Extreme (Gigabit) model I have no guests allowed and security by user name. My wife and I have read/write access and kids are read-only. What this normally means is that when you login/mount the Airport Extreme disk you see multiple volumes (the kids are on Windows so this still works). They see the main (read-only share) and a personal read/write share. On my MacBook Pro I used Apple's Backup to backup my data to that personal share. With Leopard, however, I only see the main share, not my personal one.

Another:

I upgraded to Leopard the other night and when i first log into my user account it will recognize the usb shared drive and i can access it but if I put the computer to sleep and wake it up it will recognize that i have a shared drive but it logs me in as a guest and then says that it is not connected. i have to restart Airport just to both recognize the disk and allow me to access it.

Wake from sleep issues That last note raises a second variety of problem: after sleep, connectivity is altered or lost:

When I boot my mac (I've a macbook first generation), the AirPort disk is perfectly recognised, but when the mac goes to sleep status, after wake up, the disk isn't recognised. Although the other pc with linux can see it perfectly, my mac connect to the airport disk as guest (but in the airport disk configuration, I don't permit connections as guests). Only way for the correct connection with my user is to restart the airport base, not the mac.

Another:

If the airport extreme box is freshly restarted the airport disc can be mounted and seems to work OK. But after my PB wakes from sleep the connection is lost and nothing short of rebooting the airport express seems to work. Other computers on the network with file sharing enabled seem to work OK.

Not working at all In the worst case, the ability to connect simply goes away:

My AirPort disk was working since I (clean) installed Leopard on my Mac Pro until two days ago. All of a sudden, my AirPort disk just unmounted itself. Trying to remount it gave me errors, even when I try the "Connect to Server..." option in the Finder Go Menu.

Solutions? Solutions are hard to come by.

One reader suggests using CIFS instead of Bonjour to access the AirPort Disk (essentially pretending that you are a Windows machine?).

Another reader suggests using the AirPort Disk Utility from Tiger, but it is not clear that this ultimately improves connectivity.

The Time Machine connection It may be relevant to note that AirPort disks don't work with Time Machine. This was a promised feature, but it was subtracted from Leopard at the last minute, apparently because of reliability issues. Generalizing, we may conjecture that Leopard was released with known AirPort disk connection reliability issues.

Conclusion The automatic discovery of File Sharing computers in the Finder sidebar, and the ease of connection with those computers, along with the ability to designate shared folders at last, is a major Leopard boon; but it would appear that the attempt to integrate AirPort disk connection with the same interface is not working properly.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Interesting, as I find that Leopard is MUCH more reliable for network stuff, although I haven't done exactly as you've done.

How did you do the Leopard upgrade? The safest way is to do an archive and install. It saves all your apps, docs and network settings, but replaces every bit of the system. It leaves the old system on there, in case there are things you need from it, and labels it "Previous System". Anyway, for future reference, that's the best way to upgrade.

Anyway, it sure looks like you're not alone in this, from what I've read. You could check this out.

This is from macfixit.com, on a premium (subscription) page:

Thanks for the link. I did the upgrade already, still no change. In terms of the Leopard upgrade I was not experienced enough to know how to do an archive and install. Now I know for next time.

The current work around is to log off, log on with the dummy user, connect to the drive, log off, log on with my real account, connect to the drive and do my stuff first. If it is a small amount of files, I just put them on a thumbdrive and walk down and use the wife's iMac. It is not insurmountable it is just plain disappointing.

But on the plus side, I am learning stuff and I did get a new camera for Free Loot Day so I now have something to file the drive up with :)wings.gif
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    You could try booting up in safemode, see if that helps. That will start up with only essential OS stuff loaded, none of the other stuff that your apps need. You can't really work in it, but it would be interesting to see if it works better. You hold the shift key after the start-up chime to invoke safemode.
    Moderator Emeritus