Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    blalor wrote:
    That might be the toolbar. You can show or hide that by going to View -> Show Toolbar (or typing ⌘|). If the toolbar *is* showing, you may have "customized" the location away. Go to View -> Customize Toolbar... and drag the address and search widget into the toolbar.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I have a PowerBook G4 at work with a fresh install of Leopard on it. I dock X11 to the taskbar from the Applications menu. Every time I start it, a second copy of X shows up in the task bar. The second one has the "active" dot displayed under it.

I tried to dock the second copy of X to the task bar and delete the other one... no luck, it still creates a second copy.

Any way to avoid this duplication? It's only a very minor annoyance, but it didn't happen under Jaguar or Tiger (I think).

First off, it's the Dock, not the Taskbar. deal.gif

:D

Secondly, I've seen that on a couple of oddball apps. X11 fits the bill for oddball, IMO. I would just live with it. Some things just aren't worth fretting over, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    First off, it's the Dock, not the Taskbar. deal.gif

:D

Secondly, I've seen that on a couple of oddball apps. X11 fits the bill for oddball, IMO. I would just live with it. Some things just aren't worth fretting over, IMO.
    D'oh, sorry, still fairly new to this Macinslosh stuff mwink.gif.

Yes, they definitely point to different applications. /usr/X11/X11 and /Application/Utilities/X11. If I move the former to the tas... Dock(!) and execute it, then it bounces around endlessly after spawning the second X. Ack!

I suppose I'll just live with it barring an extensive Google search (the "Keep in Dock" did not work either).
    Chris
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    blalor wrote:
    Go to View -> Customize Toolbar... and drag the address and search widget into the toolbar.

Yeah this is my issue but i cant drag & drop it...it just jumps every time.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Yeah this is my issue but i cant drag & drop it...it just jumps every time.

Make sure your View menu looks like this:

picture_1-20071129-110508.jpg

If it says Show Toolbar, that means it's hidden. You want it to show.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Make sure your View menu looks like this:

picture_1-20071129-110508.jpg

If it says Show Toolbar, that means it's hidden. You want it to show.

Well i checked that & yes..it did read as your pic so i didnt touch it...i went & did the drag & drop thing again & it workedne_nau.gif

Im cool..ta guys.
  • Options
    blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Im cool..ta guys.
    I love it when a plan comes together.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    D'oh, sorry, still fairly new to this Macinslosh stuff mwink.gif.

Yes, they definitely point to different applications. /usr/X11/X11 and /Application/Utilities/X11. If I move the former to the tas... Dock(!) and execute it, then it bounces around endlessly after spawning the second X. Ack!

I suppose I'll just live with it barring an extensive Google search (the "Keep in Dock" did not work either).

I've had that happen on Tiger... not sure what caused it. Solution was to quit X11, drag ALL instances of it off the dock, then drag a fresh new copy on from /Applications/Utilities/X11. Once I did that that problem went away.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    It sounds like Adobe is mucking it up. Try this.
    I went & looked for the files to be removed as mentioned & they simply did not exist so i went to adobe's site & downloaded their PDF reader.. rebooted & all is well.

Tks.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Goodbye Parallels, hello VMware Fusion.

Seems to be faster, less clunky and easier to install, use & manage.

Yup, it is. I use it for a few things. Also we use VMware at work and it is very cool for virtualization. The thing that is really nice is I can not use VM Appliances/Instances from work at home wings.gif so my programmer friends can help me figure out things.

The other thing that you might want to know is that if you do BootCamp you can use VMWare to use that partition.

It also is able to connect to cameras as long as VMWare has focus during the inserting of the USB connection.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    I've tried both VMWare and Parrallels (demo versions) right after my conversion to Mac. Unfortunately, I could not get it to work. I used the transporter from Parrallels, but the conversation failed once it was on the Mac. The only thing I've found that i really need from the PC world is Quicken. Everything else runs much faster and more efficient than on my PC.

Dale
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    The only thing I've found that i really need from the PC world is Quicken. Everything else runs much faster and more efficient than on my PC.

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance/mac-personal-finance.jhtml

I can't personally vouch for it, as I don't use quicken... but when it was announced, a number of my mac using friends went gaga for it.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance/mac-personal-finance.jhtml

I can't personally vouch for it, as I don't use quicken... but when it was announced, a number of my mac using friends went gaga for it.
    I use Quicken for Mac 2006. It works as a glorified checkbook register and I can download transactions from my bank, so that's all I really care about. I keep hearing how the 2007 upgrade is a waste of money. I think it's a dying product, but I don't know what else is out there that works at least as well...
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    I should have clarified. I downloaded Quicken 2007 for the Mac, but found it to be a major step backwards compared to the PC version. The user interface is very different. I suspect that Intuit does not care for the Apple crowd. For the GUI to be so different, on the same version of software as the PC, is inexcusable.

Intuit did annouce it will develop a new version for the Intel based Macs. I'll wait and see what they come up with. For now, I'm stuck with using my PC for Quicken only. I was hoping to use Parallels or VMWare, but I could not get it to work.

Dale
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    I should have clarified. I downloaded Quicken 2007 for the Mac, but found it to be a major step backwards compared to the PC version. The user interface is very different. I suspect that Intuit does not care for the Apple crowd. For the GUI to be so different, on the same version of software as the PC, is inexcusable.

Intuit did annouce it will develop a new version for the Intel based Macs. I'll wait and see what they come up with. For now, I'm stuck with using my PC for Quicken only. I was hoping to use Parallels or VMWare, but I could not get it to work.

Dale

I also use Quicken for Windows in Parallels, as the Mac version is so spectacular craptacular. In fact, much of the application is "dead code" that they have a very tough time recompiling -- it's still using Code Warrior!

You may wanna stay tuned for MacWorld, to see if anything changes, say perhaps an entirely new version given the Mac platform is growing so quickly that Intuit had to reconsider plans to kill the Mac product entirely mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    With my PC...i was always logged into my Smugmug account. With my mac im lucky to stay logged in for a few hours. Pretty well each time i visit it, i have to log back in.
    Wasssup ?
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    gus wrote:
    With my PC...i was always logged into my Smugmug account. With my mac im lucky to stay logged in for a few hours. Pretty well each time i visit it, i have to log back in.
    Wasssup ?

Do you have Private Browsing turned on in Safari? If so, turn it off.

I'll think on other issues it could be, but none come to me right now.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Do you have Private Browsing turned on in Safari? If so, turn it off.

I'll think on other issues it could be, but none come to me right now.

Just had a look about...where do i find private browsing ?
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Just had a look about...where do i find private browsing ?

Sorry, the Safari Menu.

Also, you don't have this box checked, do you?

log_in_to_your_account-_powered_by_smugmug-20071205-105032.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sorry, the Safari Menu.

got it..ta
    TO wrote:

Also, you don't have this box checked, do you?

log_in_to_your_account-_powered_by_smugmug-20071205-105032.jpg
    No...im pretty slow with computers but not quite that slow.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2007
    gus wrote:

No...im pretty slow with computers but not quite that slow.

:hide
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Gotta tell you all - and thank you all -how nice it is to work on

1. these big screens
    2. monitors that actually show color and contrast properly
    3. a machine that doesn't cough, choke and sputter because you have more than one image open. In fact, today I had to move 6 people into one team photo, and had all the contributing images open at once, had massive amounts of data on the clipboard, and never, not ever, did this machine whine let alone think of slowing down.

Those old boxes would have let me go for coffee between transformations or moves of a layer.

WoooHoooo!!!!!

ann
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    Stumbled over this link.

There are some pretty neat apps in there. Thought you all might enjoy mor toys for your Macs!

http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/11/06/top-100-mac-apps/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 13, 2007
    I looked at a new PowerMac at the Apple store in Indianapolis.

For grins, we wanted to try and make it stutter, and see if we could get the cooling fan to turn on..

We opened EVERY PROGRAM in its dock - 32 different programs, including Photoshop CS3, Final Cut Pro, GarageBand, Safari, iPhoto, etc. 32 programs and some of them were big, horses of programs, and the OS just kept merrily jogging along.

What other home computer can really open and run 32 separate programs? We never did get the cooling fan to kick on either.

After the Holidays, I think I am going to jump on one of these puppies, so I am open to suggestions as to configuration - processor speeds, ram etc. My inclination is 8 Gb RAM. Is that too much?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    My inclination is 8 Gb RAM. Is that too much?
    There is no such thing! thumb.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 13, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

What other home computer can really open and run 32 separate programs? We never did get the cooling fan to kick on either.

Probably any machine that has the same processor, memory, disk and bus speed as the machine you were using. Opening programs is not the same as running them, i.e., making them do real work. I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with that machine, I just don't think this test proves anything other than that high-end machines of all colors are really sweet.
    pathfinder wrote:
    My inclination is 8 Gb RAM. Is that too much?

You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much RAM
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    For grins, we wanted to try and make it stutter, and see if we could get the cooling fan to turn on..We opened EVERY PROGRAM in its dock - 32 different programs, including Photoshop CS3, Final Cut Pro, GarageBand, Safari, iPhoto, etc. 32 programs and some of them were big, horses of programs, and the OS just kept merrily jogging along.

Well I'm impressed. A lot of Macs on display don't have any more than the base RAM and sometimes don't show off the apps real well.
    pathfinder wrote:
    After the Holidays, I think I am going to jump on one of these puppies, so I am open to suggestions as to configuration - processor speeds, ram etc. My inclination is 8 Gb RAM. Is that too much?

I think I read somewhere that 8GB was the current price/performance sweet spot for Photoshop. I have 7GB added over several stages and it seems fine most of the time. There are times when Lightroom or Photoshop will take it all (particularly if you have enabled buffering vm to RAM before it goes to the slower scratch disk), but not all the time. We assume you already know never to buy RAM from Apple.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 13, 2007
    I think the MacPro we were trying to crash had 2 Gb RAM - we did look at - About This Mac

I know that Apple is very proud of the RAM it sells. I have purchased RAM from Crucial numerous times over the years. Last time was for RAM for my Mac Mini.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Processor speeds make any difference between 2.66 and the 3.0 versions?

Any value to the RAID card that Apple offers? Darned expensive, I can see that.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    Mac Pro. deal.gif

Fuddy duddy. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think the MacPro we were trying to crash had 2 Gb RAM - we did look at - About This Mac

I know that Apple is very proud of the RAM it sells. I have purchased RAM from Crucial numerous times over the years. Last time was for RAM for my Mac Mini.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Processor speeds make any difference between 2.66 and the 3.0 versions?

Any value to the RAID card that Apple offers? Darned expensive, I can see that.
    I assume you're talking about a mac pro and not a power mac right? In any case if you were a real man you'd get 2 quad cores with 32GB of ram (8 x 4GB sticks). Yes, it'll handle it.

f
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/