Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 17, 2007
    missing quick look button
    what gives?! my quick look button is missing! I only noticed this after installing Leopard on MrsIt's powerbook the other day. She has it, I don't.
    ne_nau.gif

my quick look works fine, tap space bar see large preview, but no button

should look like this (grabbed from apple.com):

233540230-M.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    what gives?! my quick look button is missing! I only noticed this after installing Leopard on MrsIt's powerbook the other day. She has it, I don't.

I am not using Leopard right now but in OS X in general, the toolbar can be customized, sometimes accidentally. Right-click on it, choose Customize Toolbar, and see if the button can be added back in.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    I am not using Leopard right now but in OS X in general, the toolbar can be customized, sometimes accidentally. Right-click on it, choose Customize Toolbar, and see if the button can be added back in.

That's the ticket!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    I just remembered how one might accidentally remove a button. Command-drag will rearrange or tear off toolbar items, just like on the menu bar. if you meant to Command-drag a file but landed on the toolbar, a button might go bye-bye. Inexplicably there is no undo for this. Maybe in Leopard?
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    sweet. imagine that, you can right-click right in the toolbar!

even better than all better now. :D
    Erik

• Options
    OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Mac Pro and Photoshop CS3
    I got a question.....When I open photoshop CS3 I can see thru it to my mac desktop and any other app that is open. I don't remember it this way on CS2 on windows...

Does anyone know how to make the photoshop background or workspace opaque?

Thanks for the help..

Roger
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Osprey wrote:
    I got a question.....When I open photoshop CS3 I can see thru it to my mac desktop and any other app that is open. I don't remember it this way on CS2 on windows...

Does anyone know how to make the photoshop background or workspace opaque?

Thanks for the help..

Roger
    That bugged me in CS2, but CS3 it's easy to overcome. Just hit the f key to switch through the options that are available to you. Also try hitting the tab key and once you see what you can do with that hold the shift key and hit tab. Then for the menus on the right look up in the top right corner for arrows and hover over them to find the "collapse to icons" (or "expand dock" depending on how it's currently set). What else. The new menu system is freakin' awesome IMHO.

hth
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    If in Leopard, you could also assign PS to it's own Space.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    sweet. imagine that, you can right-click right in the toolbar!

:D

Right-click?! Thought Mac's were allergic to more than one mouse button rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Right-click?! Thought Mac's were allergic to more than one mouse button rolleyes1.gif

Go. Away.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    cmason wrote:

Actually, just to set the record straight, right-click support has been in Mac OS since the mid-1990s at least. When Apple bought NeXT to create Mac OS X, NeXT OS already supported right-click. I've been using Macs with two-button mice for as long as I've been able, which might have been Mac OS 8 or 9.

Popular Mac applications like the Adobe, former Macromedia, and Microsoft Office suites have included extensive right-click menus on the Mac for many years.

Only some myopic Mac users are allergic to right mouse buttons. And I think they've been missing out.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    Actually, just to set the record straight, right-click support has been in Mac OS since the mid-1990s at least. When Apple bought NeXT to create Mac OS X, NeXT OS already supported right-click. I've been using Macs with two-button mice for as long as I've been able, which might have been Mac OS 8 or 9.

Popular Mac applications like the Adobe, former Macromedia, and Microsoft Office suites have included extensive right-click menus on the Mac for many years.

Only some myopic Mac users are allergic to right mouse buttons. And I think they've been missing out.

I like my answer better. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 18, 2007
    colourbox wrote:

The single button mouse was fine in 1984. Software was a lot smaller and simpler, so there were many fewer options to contend with at any given time. But software has metastasized. I can't imagine ever using a single button mouse again, though. Combination mouse and keyboard clicks detract from the convenience of both keyboards and mice.

OK, David, I'll go away...but I'll probably be back. wave.gif
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:

OK, David, I'll go away...but I'll probably be back. wave.gif

Point is, this whole debate re: mac/two-button mice is so old and out of date. If you're going to pick on the platform, you're gonna have to do a whole heckuva lot better than that!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    I don't have any issues w/ the single click since I'm glued to the keyboard for shortcuts anyway.

Does apple have an answer to holding onto the single click mouse though? It seems like there would be a pretty big outcry for a right click mouse on any stock machine if it wasn't available.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Does apple have an answer to holding onto the single click mouse though?

Yeah. The fact that they only sell multi-button mice, and have done so for years.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah. The fact that they only sell multi-button mice, and have done so for years.

Do the laptops have two buttons as well? Just curious.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Do the laptops have two buttons as well? Just curious.
    buttons are soooo outdated. lol3.gif

the macbook/pro touchpads are all sensitive to 1 and 2 finger taps (left/right click respectively), as well as vert and horiz scrolling. bloody beautiful I must say.

physically, no, just one big button for the times you don't like to tap.
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hey David.
    I don't doubt you for a second. But can you link to it?
    Every Mac proprietary mouse I've seen in one click.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Hey David.
    I don't doubt you for a second. But can you link to it?
    Every Mac proprietary mouse I've seen in one click.

Yep.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Very cool. I read about the mighty mouse, but didn't know details.
    Mighty mouse has only been out since the end of 05 though. Correct?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I bought one of these last month. I wished i hadnt. Its jamed. I think its too fine an instrument for a big dirty sweaty hand.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I bought one of these last month. I wished i hadnt. Its jamed. I think its too fine an instrument for a big dirty sweaty hand.

The little scrolly ball? Just turn it off/unplug it and run it on your jeans (upside down) a few times. Fixes it for me everytime. There are more complicated methods of cleaning the ball I could link you to if you want. The thing is genius for me, since I do so much horizontal scrolling in Final Cut Pro. But I do understand why some would not like it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Very cool. I read about the mighty mouse, but didn't know details.
    Mighty mouse has only been out since the end of 05 though. Correct?

Sounds about right. Hence my comment that it's been out for years. :D

The OS has had support for multis for much longer, as CB pointed out. So they didn't make them...big deal. Really. My wife would not know what to do with it. There are plenty of users who don't want and don't understand 2 button mice, and for them it would not be a feature. It's hard for y'all to understand, but it's true, and I think it's most likely the reason why Jobs took so long to approve a multi. Because this one is a single-button mouse until you configure it to be a multi. So it's a user based decision.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    don't want and don't understand 2 button mice
    Oh what I want to say theremwink.gif

Thanks David.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Two button mice are for beginners, I am now up to six buttons. I only have four of them programmed but hey there is room for expansion rolleyes1.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2007
    Well I got to spend about an hour on SOS Apple tonight. Turns out that I had a doozy and it still ain't fixed yet. For some reason the Airport assigned Permissions like you said. So I had to connect via USB directly to it to turn those off. They said those turning on was a Leopard issue (bug). I also ran a disk verify and there was a problem on the drive. So that problem was solved.

So then it was all working just hunky doory. Right up until I try to connect to it via the hardwire connection. Then it starts getting kind of wonky. If I restart the base station, it comes back up no problem. So this one has them and me scratching my head. The other thing is I have a question into Iomega to see if there is a sleep circuit in the drive that might be causing it to unmount.

Still not quite there yet.headscratch.gif

So I got to spend two hours on the phone with Apple tonight and it is still not quite working but I learned a few things:

1) GUID format is better for harddrives connected to Airports. (I wish that was in the documentation cause now I have to backup the drive to reformat it to help it would help)
    2) Things never break when you are on the phone with Tech Support
    3) Having two computers attached to drives hanging off the Airport seems to confuse my Airport
    4) Creating a dummy user profile seemed to help headscratch.gifne_nau.gif Not using it, just creating it.
    5) Never dress the wires until everything is working :cry

Anyone else using Leopard to connect two computers to a USB drive hanging off a Airport Extreme?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    To...can this imac i have burn DVD's ? & if so...what is the programme name i should search for.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    gus wrote:
    To...can this imac i have burn DVD's ? & if so...what is the programme name i should search for.

Should do. It's one of the current aluminum ones, right? Not white? Then it does burn DVDs.

What kind of DVD do you want to burn? Data? Movie?

Data: use Finder

Movie: iDVD
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Should do. It's one of the current aluminum ones, right? Not white? Then it does burn DVDs.

What kind of DVD do you want to burn? Data? Movie?

Data: use Finder

Movie: iDVD
    Its a new aluminium alright. I just want to burn some photos.