Holy Macaroni, I've Won!

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited November 20, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm having a very peculiar afternoon, after returning from taking my daughter out this afternoon my wife rang to tell me that someone had rung me at work from Alamy to say I'd won a photographic competition.

That's odd I thought, I haven't entered any competitions with Alamy, anyway expecting it to be a wind-up I called the chap back and he told me he was ringing me on behalf of Professional Photographer Magazine as they'd asked him to try and contact me (I have some images with Alamy) as they couldn't track me down.

Anyway he gave me the number of the lady from PPM and I rang her only to be told that I'd won the Professional Photographer Of The Year Competition in the Fine Art category:barb:barb:barb:barb:barb

This is a yearly competition with several categories run by Professional Photographer Magazine here in the UK.

She went on to tell me that the awards ceremony was in London tomorrow night, she'd been trying to get hold of me for days and could I upload high resolution files of my entries ASAP as they needed to print them for the ceremony.

Unfortunately there's no way I can make the ceremony and I'm in a state of pure shock and bewilderment.

Even funnier, I don't know which image has won as I entered three and the lady wasn't sure which one it was so I've had to upload them all.

:clap:rofl:ivar:barb

Happy days indeed!

Charlie

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    WOW WOW WOW! Congrats, man! wings.gifbowdown.gif
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Congratulations!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

When you know which picture won, let us know so we can appreciate it as well.
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    That must have been a great couple of phone calls.

And a bonus for it to be the fine art category. very impressive...clap.gifclapclap.gif

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Congrats ! thumb.gif That is so awosme!... I hope you will share your images with us. mwink.gif
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Congratulations
    How wonderful. Congratulations to you.

Peace, gail
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Congrats!!! make sure and post the winning photo when you discover which one it was.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Whoooohoooooooo! Awesome!!!! Now when you figured what you actually won with, please post it so we can be thoroughly jealous...I'm mean proud of you... wings.gif
  • fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    congrats!
    As everyone else stated... pls post the winning photo!
    clap.gifivar
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
    We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 14, 2007
    Way to go, Charlie. :ivar:ivarbowdown.gifbow

Cheers,
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Charlie, I'm SOOOOOOOO Happy for YOU! Congrats to you Chap!! Don't Cha Feel Grand Now!!! :D
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Thanks everyone, I'm actually feeling a little nauseous and I've just struggled to eat my dinner, which for me, is pretty odd.

I will of course post the image when I know which one won but I think ettiquette dictates I should wait until after the awards evening.

The fine art category is sponsored by Pantone and I've just discovered the prize is £2000 cash ($4000) sweet!

I really need to calm down.

Charlie
    edited November 14, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    Thanks everyone, I'm actually feeling a little nauseous and I've just struggled to eat my dinner, which for me, is pretty odd.

I will of course post the image when I know which one won but I think ettiquette dictates I should wait until after the awards evening.

The fine art category is sponsored by Pantone and I've just discovered the prize is £2000 cash ($4000) sweet!

Charlie

Hey Charlie, are any of these your photos?? Mmmm the smell of Green is always so wonderful.....Laughing.gif

http://www.professionalphotographer.co.uk/comps.cfm?action=gallery&gallery_id=23
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Well found Donna, no, they only seem to post a random selection of entries there, and none of them are currently mine.

One of the images in this gallery is the winner:-

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3829781#221452032

Charlie
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Wow! Congratulations! clap.gif That's awesome. thumb.gif
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Wow! bowdown.gif
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    Well found Donna, no, they only seem to post a random selection of entries there, and none of them are currently mine.

Charlie

Congrats! ALL of the photos in your gallery there are very nice!
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:

Charlie

What do you mean calm down???

You need to celebrate like England just won the Ashes....clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Go burn some cars in the street, hit the pubs for a few drinks and then run riot.thumb.gif

Regards,

Peter

PS. Those images in your gallery are magic
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Charlie,
    My sincere 'grats! thumb.gifclap.gifwings.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Well done! That is a great achievement!
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    That's fantastic, you deserve it! I loved those images the second I saw them.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Congratulations, Charlie! Well deserved....I love that gallery, especially the thistles. clap.gif
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    A
    W
    E
    S
    O
    M
    E

COOL

Congratulations! clap.gif
    edited November 14, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:

Charlie

Loved your Photos....My favorite is the Monochomatic "Thistles with the scissors"...VERY NICE...the tulips are beautiful also....Oh Shucks they are all GREAT!

Calm Down Charlie...ARE U BLOODY NUTZ My Good Man...You need to party like a Rock Star for a fabulous accomplishment WHOOOHOOOOO
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    That is awesome!!! Congratulations!!!
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    WOW!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Congratulations, Charlie! Time to bust some clouds for sure and then do the Jig of Life! :D
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Congrats Charlie, what a fantastic suprise and great achievement clap.gifclap

I'll include it in next weeks SmugMug Monday and share your good news around even more if thats OK ?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Absolutely and utterly pleased for you. I can only just imagine what it must feel like.
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Robert
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    I'm having a very peculiar afternoon, after returning from taking my daughter out this afternoon my wife rang to tell me that someone had rung me at work from Alamy to say I'd won a photographic competition.

That's odd I thought, I haven't entered any competitions with Alamy, anyway expecting it to be a wind-up I called the chap back and he told me he was ringing me on behalf of Professional Photographer Magazine as they'd asked him to try and contact me (I have some images with Alamy) as they couldn't track me down.

Anyway he gave me the number of the lady from PPM and I rang her only to be told that I'd won the Professional Photographer Of The Year Competition in the Fine Art categorywings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gif

This is a yearly competition with several categories run by Professional Photographer Magazine here in the UK.

She went on to tell me that the awards ceremony was in London tomorrow night, she'd been trying to get hold of me for days and could I upload high resolution files of my entries ASAP as they needed to print them for the ceremony.

Unfortunately there's no way I can make the ceremony and I'm in a state of pure shock and bewilderment.

Even funnier, I don't know which image has won as I entered three and the lady wasn't sure which one it was so I've had to upload them all.

clap.gifrofl:ivarwings.gif

Happy days indeed!

Charlie

Way to go Charlie clap.gif :ivar clap.gif :ivar
    Don't forget to breathe.

Your work is beautifully Charlie, your win was well deserved.
    Congratulations .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Way to go!! wings.gif Well done!