The PayPal and Google Checkout Thread

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    bham wrote:
    You have a smugmug account don't you.

Actually, you can't catch Sam on that one. mwink.gif He's true to his word. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Actually, you can't catch Sam on that one. mwink.gif He's true to his word. deal.gif

That is actually funny. Not a smugmug member because they don't have a phone number.headscratch.gif
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Question about Google checkout
    Can I use this without putting a link on my site? What I mean is, can I send a client a total and have them pay through Google checkout? ne_nau.gif My clients always end up with odd totals, as I add sales tax, etc. I don't let them order through Smugmug--I make them order through me and I place the order. It would be nice if I could send them a total and have them pay me through Google. We use Paypal now, but maybe Google would be easier. ne_nau.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Jan, you can do e-mail invoices. Check out this thread for more info: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=77536
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Can I use this without putting a link on my site? What I mean is, can I send a client a total and have them pay through Google checkout? ne_nau.gif My clients always end up with odd totals, as I add sales tax, etc. I don't let them order through Smugmug--I make them order through me and I place the order. It would be nice if I could send them a total and have them pay me through Google. We use Paypal now, but maybe Google would be easier. ne_nau.gif

Both services support email-based billing/invoicing... deal.gif
    And I really can't see if it can be any easier - you just fill the email, product and price fields and hit Send...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Both services support email-based billing/invoicing... deal.gif
    And I really can't see if it can be any easier - you just fill the email, product and price fields and hit Send...

With Paypal, you need a Paypal account, and some people don't have that. With Google, can you just enter credit card info w/out creating an account (other than making a name/password for yourself). I think what is hard about Paypal is you have to wait for the deposits in your checking account and verify them, etc. Do you have to do this w/ Google, too?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    With Paypal, you need a Paypal account, and some people don't have that. With Google, can you just enter credit card info w/out creating an account (other than making a name/password for yourself). I think what is hard about Paypal is you have to wait for the deposits in your checking account and verify them, etc. Do you have to do this w/ Google, too?
    Read what DavidTO posted - the money goes automatically to your checking account, you have to do nothing thumb.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    As far as I can tell, people will have to create a Google account in order to use my "Buy Now" button. Is this not the case?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited December 2, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    As far as I can tell, people will have to create a Google account in order to use my "Buy Now" button. Is this not the case?

Yes, they will.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 2, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yes, they will.

OK, thanks. I wonder if that will be a deterrent for some folks. ne_nau.gif
    Elaine

edited December 2, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    OK, thanks. I wonder if that will be a deterrent for some folks. ne_nau.gif

What's the alternative?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 2, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    What's the alternative?

Not purchasing at all.
    Elaine

edited December 2, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Not purchasing at all.

Exactly. They'll do exactly what they would have done if you hadn't offered the method of payment! deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Jan, as far as I know, both systems allow a customer to pay via CC without having an account. To accept the payments - yes, you need to have an account, but it's a relatively easy and painless procedure in both cases.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited December 2, 2007
    From the Google help:
    Do I need a Google Account or a Gmail account to sign up for Google Checkout?

No. If you don't have a Google Account or a Gmail account, you can still sign up for Google Checkout. A free Google Account will automatically be created for you. Your Google Account provides easy access to many Google services. Learn more about Google Accounts.
    If you already have a Google Account or Gmail account, you can add the Google Checkout service by logging in with your existing username and password at http://checkout.google.com.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Heads-up
    Just a heads-up that Google Checkout accounts are only offered to folks in the U.S. and UK.
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
    edited December 3, 2007
    xris wrote:
    Just a heads-up that Google Checkout accounts are only offered to folks in the U.S. and UK.

It is still beta at this point.

Can you purchase throught it? Just not sell?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    Not a Paypal fan.
    Much as I want to use ebay sometimes, I don't think I ever will again. It's not worth the stress to sell anything of value on there. And Paypal offers no real protection.

Last time I sold something on Ebay, and I've only used ebay 9 times, I got ripped off thanks to Paypal. Ebay and Paypal and their dispute resolution "Square Trade" are partnered so there is no real protection.
    Without posting 28 pages of communication between me, the buyer, paypal, and ebay, that I'm saving just in case I need a lawyer,
    basically:
    the customer paid for the item, I took the money out of paypal, I shipped it the next day w/ next day shipping. Item was received a day later.
    Buyer claims fraudulent use of paypal account and paypal first reverses funds, then begins "investigation".
    Buyer claims in email to me that she received camera and it was not in working condition and that's why a chargeback was issued. Never returns another email or phone call after Ebay sends me their information.
    Paypal claims not a chargeback, but a paypal account was hacked and used to pay for my camera. Which is still no reason for me to owe money to Paypal. Get it from the Buyer!
    I could see if the buyer sent the camera back to me...
    Ebay sends me to Paypal and Square Trade. Square Trade does nothing.
    Buyer won't send camera back even though Fedex has it insured and claim number to send it back to me.
    To summarize, I made a $575 sale and that was deposited into my paypal account and fortunately I took the money out immediately! Paypal reversed the funds saying I owe them $575 and threatening credit collection. They will never get that from me.

Funny that the person I was dealing with at Paypal was named Faith, something required when using Paypal.

PayPal can answer PayPal-related inquiries only. To find the answer to your
    eBay inquiry you will need to contact eBay Customer Support by following
    the steps below:

Ebay @ Paypal. Yeah. rolleyes1.gif

what a mess.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    "Hello,
    We're writing to let you know that Google Checkout's free transaction processing offer has been extended to 1st February 2008. After this Google Checkout will be introducing its standard processing fees to the UK."

:D
  • lcouturelcouture Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 10, 2008
    Google Checkout
    Hey! I am a new smugmugger. I am interested in using Google checkout. Sounds like it is very convienient. Could someone please explain how it works and what I need to do to set it up through smugmug? Do I receive 100% profit from my sales on smugmug? I will be setting my own prices.

Thanks!
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    lcouture wrote:
    Hey! I am a new smugmugger. I am interested in using Google checkout. Sounds like it is very convienient. Could someone please explain how it works and what I need to do to set it up through smugmug? Do I receive 100% profit from my sales on smugmug? I will be setting my own prices.

Thanks!
    There are directions (basically) for setting it up in the Customizing forum. If you need help, you can also have it setup for you at a cost. It's probably the most complex hack you can do on here.. There's very little cutting and pasting, and a whole lot of understanding required.

David
    edited April 11, 2008
    Google CO
    Thanks David,

I set up the google checkout account on Google's site. Now I just have to figure out how to get it into Smugmug. Can you tell me what it would cost to have someone do this for me? I think I will try myself first, but just wondering. I am having trouble seeing how my plan will pan out correctly. Basically I want clients to be able to pick photos and somehow indicate them to me (can't use add to cart with Google checkout right?) I want to be able to see what photos they have choosen and then print them myself and send them the invoice through Google. Make sense? This is probably quite simple I am sure
    edited April 11, 2008
    Google CO
    Who can I contact to set up Google checkout for me? I already have everything in the Google checkout account set up.
  • hartlandeagleshartlandeagles Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 11, 2008
    Paypal Problems
    I am using google checkout after paypal cancelled my account for violating their policy, No explaination no contact other than the email that said it was cancelled. I had to wait 30 days for the funds to be released to my account. I have sent to this date 42 emails to various addresses within the paypal organization. No response. Bottom line they can do whatever they want they are not regulated by anybody other than themselves.
    This is also true for google however google has excellent support when having issues with money.
    Just my two cents, well it was more than two cents that paypal held but you get the point. Joshua

I would like to intergrate the google checkout into my smugmug can anyone point me to the correct thread. Thanks
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    I can definately help you setup a Google Checkout or PayPal shopping cart. There are some limitations of each, and some benefits of each. Your best bet is to fill out my form on http://www.wolfsnap.com/smugization and we can discuss exactly what you want. Shopping carts can be quick to setup (if it's mostly copy/paste), or can take a long time (if I have to customize it a lot, etc..)

I have external shopping cart providers (free) that I use, as well as knowing how to insert the image number and URL into the buy now/shopping cart buttons, so it will do what you want (without any extra work on your part).

David
  • CyberSoupCyberSoup Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 29, 2008
    How to populate hidden fields required for Google Checkout
    I am trying to create a Google Checkout HTML form. I appreciate the sample provided here: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Add+Google+Checkout+or+Paypal

I am comfortable with HTML and have created HTML forms, however, I am at a loss as to how to populate the hiddend fileds that Google Checkout requires. If my customer fills in the online form indicating that they want 5 of item one and 3 of item 2, how do I populate the hidden fields with this information.

This page http://code.google.com/apis/checkout/developer/Google_Checkout_Basic_HTML_Sample_Forms.html#Basic_HTML_Sample_US

talks about how to set up multiple fields, but still does not address how to get the info into the hidden fields.

Thanks for any light you can shed on my confussion!
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    Ok, does this mean we can get paid via paypal without waiting for that cheque from Smugmug?

On the smugmug wiki i read that andys site has an example of paypal
    payment option but it doesnt (only google checkout):
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Add+Google+Checkout+or+Paypal
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • joesgrillejoesgrille Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    can't get the google buy it now button
    I have followed the directions here 2x http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Add+Google+Checkout+or+Paypal

As you can see, I don't get the buy it now check out button but it lists what my prices are in a weird and awkward fashion.
    http://wendyrubin.smugmug.com/gallery/6017763_sXaTD/1/377707396_LTrrW#377707396_LTrrW

Help. What am I doing wrong???

here is the code generated from the google checkout site with the html inserts
    <html>
    <form action="https://checkout.google.com/api/checkout/v2/checkoutForm/Merchant/222840272433506&quot; id="BB_BuyButtonForm" method="post" name="BB_BuyButtonForm">
    <table cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="1%">
    <tr>
    <td align="right" width="1%">
    <select name="item_selection_1">
    <option value="1">$450.00 - 11x17 Silver Gelatin Limited Edition Archival Print</option>
    <option value="2">$700.00 - 16x20 Silver Gelatin Limited Edition Archival Print</option>
    <option value="3">$900.00 - 20x24 Silver Gelatin Limited Edition Archival Print</option>
    <option value="4">$400.00 - 11x17 Limited Edition Color Print</option>
    <option value="5">$600.00 - 16x20 Limited Edition Color Print</option>
    <option value="6">$800.00 - 20x24 Limited Edition Color Print</option>
    </select>
    <input name="item_option_name_1" type="hidden" value="11x17 Silver Gelatin Limited Edition Archival Print"/>
    <input name="item_option_price_1" type="hidden" value="450.0"/>
    <input name="item_option_description_1" type="hidden" value=""/>
    <input name="item_option_quantity_1" type="hidden" value="1"/>
    <input name="item_option_currency_1" type="hidden" value="USD"/>
    <input name="item_option_name_2" type="hidden" value="16x20 Silver Gelatin Limited Edition Archival Print"/>
    <input name="item_option_price_2" type="hidden" value="700.0"/>
    <input name="item_option_description_2" type="hidden" value=""/>
    <input name="item_option_quantity_2" type="hidden" value="1"/>
    <input name="item_option_currency_2" type="hidden" value="USD"/>
    <input name="item_option_name_3" type="hidden" value="20x24 Silver Gelatin Limited Edition Archival Print"/>
    <input name="item_option_price_3" type="hidden" value="900.0"/>
    <input name="item_option_description_3" type="hidden" value=""/>
    <input name="item_option_quantity_3" type="hidden" value="1"/>
    <input name="item_option_currency_3" type="hidden" value="USD"/>
    <input name="item_option_name_4" type="hidden" value="11x17 Limited Edition Color Print"/>
    <input name="item_option_price_4" type="hidden" value="400.0"/>
    <input name="item_option_description_4" type="hidden" value=""/>
    <input name="item_option_quantity_4" type="hidden" value="1"/>
    <input name="item_option_currency_4" type="hidden" value="USD"/>
    <input name="item_option_name_5" type="hidden" value="16x20 Limited Edition Color Print"/>
    <input name="item_option_price_5" type="hidden" value="600.0"/>
    <input name="item_option_description_5" type="hidden" value=""/>
    <input name="item_option_quantity_5" type="hidden" value="1"/>
    <input name="item_option_currency_5" type="hidden" value="USD"/>
    <input name="item_option_name_6" type="hidden" value="20x24 Limited Edition Color Print"/>
    <input name="item_option_price_6" type="hidden" value="800.0"/>
    <input name="item_option_description_6" type="hidden" value=""/>
    <input name="item_option_quantity_6" type="hidden" value="1"/>
    <input name="item_option_currency_6" type="hidden" value="USD"/>
    </td>
    <td align="left" width="1%">
    <input alt="" src="https://checkout.google.com/buttons/buy.gif?merchant_id=222840272433506&w=117&h=48&style=trans&variant=text&loc=en_US&quot; type="image"/>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </form>
    <html>
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Not at this time
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Ok, does this mean we can get paid via paypal without waiting for that cheque from Smugmug?

On the smugmug wiki i read that andys site has an example of paypal
    payment option but it doesnt (only google checkout):
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Add+Google+Checkout+or+Paypal

No payment by Paypal or Google ......this was set up for those that are willing to do their own customer fullfilment.....if you are using Paypal or Google checkout, your prints will not be printed by ez prints, unless you place an order thru them and pay to have them shipped to you and then you ship on to your customer.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Okay, thanks for the info!
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston