Options

LPS20 - Unofficial Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Well, what can I say? 4 out of 5 posters chose mine to be in their top picks. Thank you so much! :D Not sure why I couldn't win the judges over headscratch.gif

And thank you for the detailed feedback from shatch and hawkeye.
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    sherstone wrote:
    I will leave the full explanation until the official results are in and I will then post a "behind the scenes" explanation.
    Now that the official results are in, please share how you did it! I have a suspicion that you took multiple pictures with the hand in the jar, and simply removed the rest of the hand/person and combined the multiple images... Right?

David
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    It appears that the "unofficial feedback" is of little value. Of the 50+ unofficial feedbacks, there were very little acknowledgements or responses compared to previous feedback threads. Must be those of us who are trying to share are deemed unqualified. I will be the first to admit that I am very unqualified to provide feedback. Thisi s the first time I have done it. But for those of us who didn't get into the top 10, we get no feedback. How are we going to get a new perspective on our work? How are we going to grow? I figure any feedback is better than none at all. However, the one thing I personally have found in critiquing each photo is it helps me learn. I highly recommend it to all, even if you don't post it online. I will finish my critiquing of the rest of the photos off-line just for my self learning. If you would like my "unprofessional" and "unqualified" thoughts, I would love to share them with you.

I hope I have not offended any of you great photographers who I did post my remarks online for. If so, I appologize. I was just trying to add to this great forum.

Best wishes to all.

Your feedback, as well as everyone elses, is definitely appreciated by the community. Honestly, there has been a strange vibe around the LPS forum over the last several months which I believe started in the round where the results were delayed 2-weeks. Since that point, there seems to have been an atmospheric change. It is almost as though people have been going through the motions but not really with the same energy and drive as the earlier rounds. It was clearly evident in how long it took for someone (I think Pyro this time) to jump in and even start this thread.

As for me, I thought about giving my critiques but lately I've been struggling with a lack of personal inspiration and a loss of confidence, not just in LPS but in my creativeness and photography overall. I'm afraid that it would influence my comments regarding the work of others which wouldn't be fair to them nor give them the proper critique to improve their work.

Having done a full round critique before, I know how much time and thought is involved. It is not just difficult judging others' works but also having to take a long, honest look at your own in the process. Thanks to you and Hawkeye and all the others that are contributing.

ps. PEMMETT - thanks for the inclusion in your top-12!
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Feedback on page 5 (41-50)
    Wow! Thanks for the new energy of responses. May I propose that as many of you as can, pick a page and post reviews on it. The more reviews, the better our learning. Ok, here are some more of my "unofficial, first time I have tried to critique photos" feedback. For what it is worth...

41- Very cute subject matter. I always love the expressions of the curriosity of a child. Good seperation from the background. Things for improving...play around with different angles. Get down on the ground, kneel, stand overhead, try as many different angles as you can think of. I would like to see the "whites of her eyes". It helps me bond with the photo more. Last, increase the pop of the photo in post production (sharpness and more contrast. You may also want to experment with a fill card/reflector in natural light to increase your depth of lighting.

42- Good theme interpretation and composition. The gray tone lends well to the mood of the photo as does the lighting technique. The distance of focus fights with me and I think it is because the skeleton hand is such a small part of the photo. I wonder if a wide angle shot with the hand right in the front of the photo would have added more. Maybe an "in your face" pointing. Overall, a very good photo.

43- I'm glad you shared your post production. Great effect. Has a strong art appeal that lets it stand on its own. Great visual angles, simple composition. Great photo. The only thing I could offer as consideration is is there something he could be holding that would create more of a story?

44- Shooting decaying statues is difficult. What could appear as out of focus may be lack of detail. Composition wise, I like that you filled the frame with your subject. Great seperation from the background. I bet that if you used Paul's sharpening technique he shares in "Behind the Scenes" that this photo would really come to life. To get to the next level for the competitions, ask yourself, "How can I add emotion to this photo?" or "Is there a story that can be told with this photo?"

45- You have some great visual lines in this photo. The movement of the hand also keeps your eye moving. Compositionally, everything is there. Subject, simplicity, good angle, etc. I find myself wanting the photo to pop more though. Maybe that is because I see the master's hands are worn from use. Emphasizing that would be fun to see in comparison. Envisioning how you took this photo required that you had to get creative to get the angle that you did.

46- Loved it the first time I saw it. Great lighting technique and capture of "moment in time". Very sharp, simple, engaging. 2 light set up? Ok, I'm stretching on this, but to emphasize your title more, the hand saturated in bubbles being washed off. Ok, it's a stretch.

47- Tells a great story. Good use of title. There are some good visual lines flowing through the photo. Good focus on the theme and story. Exposure looks good to me as well. I would like to see the crop even tighter to bring more focus onto the subject/theme. That or see the faces looking at each other, or one looking at the other.

48- Creative interpretation. Good job thinking out of the box. The composition and lighting draw my attention to the door. Maybe a close-up of the "custom hat holder" and simplification of the composition would be a stronger entry. A darkened background with the hand holders forefront in the photo and fading in the background to black and out of focus would be fun to see in comparison. Also, the shadows on the walls could be tweaked to be a little stronger which would help anchor the arms to the wall.

49- Rule of thirds? I'm glad you didn't use it here. Love the composition and the triangularity of the photo. Simple background works well. Love the camera! However, I want to see the whole lens. I know it would draw more attention away from the subject/theme, so maybe with a more shallow distance of focus, the story would be more complete but the focus still on the theme. Good photo.

50- Dave, great photo. Perfect composition, exposure, simplicity. Pulls the viewer in; my arms are cold now. The only thing I could think to add to this is his breath floating out of the corner of the frame. Good photo. Well done.
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    MrsCue wrote:
    Well, what can I say? 4 out of 5 posters chose mine to be in their top picks. Thank you so much! :D Not sure why I couldn't win the judges over headscratch.gif

The beauty of subjectivity. We've all been there before but take comfort that your image plucked the admiration of many in the community. Add me to the list - it is one of the best portraits that I've seen. thumb.gif
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Ok, let the carnage continue...:D

Page 6, my apologies, disclaimers, blah, blah, etc....

Thank you for the comments (#58), I went to the zoo to get that particular photo - and I did it. Even I was suprised by the sharpness I got out of my kit lens on this outing, I had a lot of very sharp photos - I think the external fill flashed helped with that.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    shatch wrote:

12- Great seperation from background. Like the blue. Great expression. Would like to have seen the same expression without the card and let the story be told by the subject. A tight crop with his face filling the frame with some off camera lighting would be fun to see.

Laughing.gif..Thanks for the critique Shatch, much appreciated...Ok the reason I did NOT do a "tight" crop (yes I did try it), and a big BUT here, I opted out, cuz the tight crop really brought the viewers eyes right into the "mouth" and literally you could see this guy's tonsils and the cracks on his tongue very prominently, which btw I thought was a bit nasty..ha ha ha ha. Since the theme was FACE or HANDS I opted for a Larger Portrait Style.

I left the card on his forehead as in indication to his "sign" and thought of the comedy show "The Blue Collar" "rednecks" .."Here's Your Sign". I actually thought this guy was "toasted"..ha ha.

I could have placed some of my other photos in the contest taken on 1/18 www.dnty.com/hg1.html , but you know me, I have to be different...

Again thanks for taking the time to show insight as to how others view from their minds eye.

Also, Thank you to Hawkeye for his insight to my photo, Very Much Appreciated.

====================
    NOTE: I know in my heart, I met all the requirements i.e. compositional as well as the technical aspects of photography, if the judges thought differently then again Cie La Vie, I can only say...Different Strokes for Different Folks....My clients like the work, and whether I won or not, I am Sassified!! :D I give my clients what they want but I also add a taste of me in there.

In my eyes, I am a Winner, because it takes guts to enter any contest, and then get beaten down, only to stand up, wipe the seat of my pants off, and go on.

Congrats to All ! Remember to Win with Grace, but Loose Graciously!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    18- Wonderful. Simple composition. Story is effectively told, good lighting. The only thing I could nit pick on this is the closed eye looks smashed by the thumb. Maybe if the hands were al ittle more to the right of the frame and the closed eye was completely conceiled by the thumb by moving the hands closer to the camera. Don't know...would have to see both. Well done.
    Thank you so much, Shatch. I did try a couple with the hands farther away from the face, but that allowed more of the face to show. I was trying to keep the emphasis on the hands, but the focus still became the eye. Ah well. It'll make a great new avatar, at least. :D (And sorry for my delay in replying--I've been shooting for the semi this morning and afternoon. You're one of the photographers I admire most in this forum, especially for the stories you share in your images. Your feedback truly means a lot to me. iloveyou.gif)
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    18 - Framed. Must be my day to be reminded of movies. This to me is reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange. I don't know if that was intended so it may just be my odd mind. The framing and lighting are to me outstanding.
    Laughing.gif! Clockwork Orange was certainly not intended--I absolutely hate and despise that movie. rolleyes1.gif I can totally see the similarity now that you say it, though. Too funny.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I've been challenging myself with off-camera lighting lately, so I'm happy to hear it's starting to show. :D
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    Feedback on page 9 (81-87)
    There are a lot of entries! This is good. Hope this helps. If not, remember it was free.

Here we go...

51- You really caught me at first look. My first thought is you had somhow figured out how to shoot a baby in the womb! I was amazed! It took me a couple of seconds to realize it was a doll. Great creative lighting and use of composition. Conversion was effective as well. I don't know what your thoughts behind your photo were. Taking it from my interpretation and first impression, it would have been interesting if you had titled it "3 Months, 6 to Go" and then colorized it in a flesh colored light.

52- Good job shooting your subject close and eliminating background distractions. From looking at the photo, it looks like you shot this in low light (noise in the dark colors). The motion capture in the photo is very creative, but I don't feel it adds to the story or composition of the photo. Some other thoughts...try some additional angles. What would it look like if you were the apple? What if you were a worm in the apple? What would it look like if the camera were in your mouth as you were about to take the first bite out of the apple? You are on the right path, now think even further and then ask, "What does my photo say? How can I make it say it better?"

53- Pet shots usually don't capture much emotion overall, but you caputred a great expression and composition. Lighting is great, DOF works well. Your title hits the expression right on. So the next level...Why? Small reflection in the eye or some other hint.

54- This is a challenging photo to structure for a strong finish in the competitions. Technically it is quite clean. DOF to emphasize the subject, subject in focus, cropped to keep attention where needed and intended. I need more. Stronger lighting? A story? Why the expression? Could it be a stronger expression? What can I use to create some tension?

55- As I interpret it, I saw a face in the fire. A very random capture that could work. Nice job! From a composition standpoint, I would like to see a little more of the source. Without it, it leave too much dead space to the right. Some post production to saturate, maybe even over the top saturate and colorize the photo would help it pop more. Very fun thought. Makes me want to break out a torch and camera. Subjective interpretation photos have tended to struggle in past competitions. It may need to be even more obvious and amazing. Keep them coming!

56- I like it. Very simple, very strong. Tells a story. I think a stronger title like "Our Secret" would be more appropriate. My eyes do keep bouncing up to the nose. I wonder if a tighter crop would have added a little more impact.

57- Good simple composition, tells a story, good expression. The chair (?) in the background above the glass blends in too much with the glass and appears to be part of it. A little seperation between those may have helped the photo more. Technically it is well executed. The subject focus (face) is emphasized well. Just need a stronger emotional draw to place better IMO.
  • Options
    cbsnetcbsnet Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    shatch wrote:

14- Great photo. Complete story is told with the addition of the title. Very fluid composition with great eye leading lines. Main leads to the face, which leads to the reins which lead tot he hand and back around again. Nice photo.

Thanks Shatch for the kind words!!! This was a very difficult shot. I took over 400 shots with two horses and an expert rider. We tried to show he connection between the rider and horse without the traditional equine composition. While cantering I was able to capture the flowing mane and keep the lines well connected. This horse always keeps her mouth open which is a bad thing in the equine world. She wasn't made to do that.

Well the judges were not impressed. But I did learn a bit over the last month and will pick back up things in March.

-carl
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Mr. Hatch!

First: Let me first say "thanks" for the comments, not only to me, but for us all, as even a comment about someone else's image gives me food for thought. It is of great value, not little value! You have personally had a noticably increased presence in the threads during this round, and I for one think that it's been good for us all!

Second: Whoa there bubba! Patience, I say! I'm over here getting into the thick of my business season, so time to check out the threads is precious indeed. I wonder how many others in here think the same. It's a lot of work to put together comments on each and every entry, and you are to be commended on that. I've started to do that many a time, but when I found I couldn't do them all, I just fell back to comment on the ones that I had voted for. Also, I am just not one to post a thanks for every comment that someone makes in the "unofficial" thread (though that wasn't a problem for me this go round!). In all cases I try to wait until after the official results are in before I make any comments at all. It is after all, only Tuesday. I am trying to put together something similar on LPS20. Here's to hoping that the week can settle out for me a bit...

Patience!
    shatch wrote:
    It appears that the "unofficial feedback" is of little value. Of the 50+ unofficial feedbacks, there were very little acknowledgements or responses compared to previous feedback threads. Must be those of us who are trying to share are deemed unqualified. I will be the first to admit that I am very unqualified to provide feedback. Thisi s the first time I have done it. But for those of us who didn't get into the top 10, we get no feedback. How are we going to get a new perspective on our work? How are we going to grow? I figure any feedback is better than none at all. However, the one thing I personally have found in critiquing each photo is it helps me learn. I highly recommend it to all, even if you don't post it online. I will finish my critiquing of the rest of the photos off-line just for my self learning. If you would like my "unprofessional" and "unqualified" thoughts, I would love to share them with you.

I hope I have not offended any of you great photographers who I did post my remarks online for. If so, I appologize. I was just trying to add to this great forum.

Best wishes to all.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:
    NOTE: I know in my heart, I met all the requirements i.e. compositional as well as the technical aspects of photography, if the judges thought differently then again Cie La Vie, I can only say...Different Strokes for Different Folks....My clients like the work, and whether I won or not, I am Sassified!! :D I give my clients what they want but I also add a taste of me in there.

In my eyes, I am a Winner, because it takes guts to enter any contest, and then get beaten down, only to stand up, wipe the seat of my pants off, and go on.

Congrats to All ! Remember to Win with Grace, but Loose Graciously!!

Very, very well stated!! The diversity of all of us creates a beautiful world! Unless we become vulnerable, we cannot grow. But keeping perspective keeps us engaged. I believe the majority of us are in it for the growth. I know I sure have been stretched from where I started and I yet have a long way to go. That is why I want to hear from the group.

You're right, you are a winner!
  • Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:

Not me, I lose and I get depressed. In fact, time to go shoot myself right now ... *BLAM* ... well drat, I failed at that too. I despise my life mwink.gif
  • Options
    tinfishtinfish Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Thanks.
    Well let me start by introducing myself. My name is Jeff and I am new to photography and very new to Dgrin. As a matter of fact this and my entry into LPS 20 make for 2 posts. I would like to thank Hawkeye and Shatch for the critiques. For someone who is still trying to figure out what works and why it works, it goes along way. I personally do not have the guts. I have tried to give critiques before in some other forums. Usually I end up just staring at a blank page for awhile before giving up. Or more often then not I just point out what I like and ignore what I don't. I just do not yet feel qualified. I know any feedback is valuable, but I just struggle to bring myself to do it. I guess it is just a matter of confidence. Confidence comes from experience and I am just not that experienced. Shatch ,as far as I can tell you are qualified, so keep on keeping on!!!

Shatch: To answer your lighting question it was a three light set up. The third light was low camera right, however it was low power and while processing the photo I was not even convinced that it fired at all. (I use cheap radio triggers)

To those that considered my photo; I am honored. Hawkeye, Shatch,DoctorIt and Andy thanks for your critiques. They are appreciated and valuable.
    Jeff Harbin
    "Life of Riley" Photography
    www.lifeofrileyphotography.com
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Not me, I lose and I get depressed. In fact, time to go shoot myself right now ... *BLAM* ... well drat, I failed at that too. I despise my life mwink.gif

ROTFLMAO...Well apparently, you have "succeeded at failing"...so your a winner, and you can continue to go on despising your life, who better than you to do that? So your a Winner Again, cuz no body can do it better than you....it all depends on how you view the situation. :D

You apparently got up, and whether you wiped the seat of your pants off or not, you made it in here to post a comment so that you could start over again..See Winner Again......Hmmmm is the Glass Half Empty or Half Full?? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Have a Great one Kurt!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    SHatch, thank you SO much for the great feedback! It's funny that you wanted deeper darks as I worried that it was TOO dark - I was trying to make sure the pruney fingers really showed up well, though. I may play with the processing a bit more.

As for shooting it at a wider angle... 11doh.gif Shoulda thought of that! I've been so busy lately that I haven't had the time to really put forth in this. I must be saving it for the finals (ACK!!!).

I really appreciate you taking the time! Now... if only I can find some!! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Thank you for the critique of #41 and comments from those wiser and more experienced than me iloveyou.gif

I am really new to the world of photography and with great fear and terror entered LPS. lol I sat there muttering "what have I done" over and over after hittingh submit.

I loved the comment that winner because had guts to submit and try. I knew this was not a round I would win, but experience, guts to try and your comments - critical and kind mean the world and each time I enter, I will get better because of them.

To the top 10 bowdown.gif and many others, your talent amazes me!! wings.gif Congrats.
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Ok, let the carnage continue...:D

57 - blood on his hands. Great composite! I spent a lot of time looking at this and love the detail and the feel. For me I think the technique somewhat overwhelmed the theme and I lost the feel or hands or face.

Your sympathetic comments much appreciated, thanks hawkeye!
    (Also appreciate your concern for the "losers" and your community spirit... 10/10)

It was a very exciting project for me. When I read in the motivational comments in the stickies for
    the LPS that entrants should interpret the theme creatively, take it as a starting position and run with
    it beyond the predictable into a new experience for the viewer I believed it all.

Another problem with the LPS sticky notes is the confusion created about permitted entry size (pixels).
    One rule is that the photo size must be max 800pix on longest side.
    "Photo size" is the term used in the SmugMug exif info, so this rule could
    seem to be referring to that (several entries reveal this interpretation).

A second rule states that if linking in the entry thread to a photo in
    a SmugMug gallery and the orientation is landscape, then
    the SmugMug Gallery L size is the largest which can be
    used.

However, in the LPS discussion forum, as distinct
    from the rules document proper, a third rule is
    described, which is that the image size displayed in Properties
    (right click on photo entry in entry thread) must show a max longest
    side length of 800pix.

This last rule is the one which is applied in fact I now know,
    even though it is not "official", in that it is not
    mentioned in the rules document.

All of these alternatives result in images of different
    sizes in the entry thread . With the fear of DoctorIT's bedside manner in
    my bones I went for the smallest resulting size - SmugMug Gallery L.
    It was smaller than necesary and the most unflattering to my image.

I make these comments as a newcomer to DGrin and LPS. Such has
    been my experience to this point. They echo what I have read in the threads of other
    people's experiences.

"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Originally Posted by Tentacion

What Tentacion said is right but...time after time it does have a sting to it.

I appreciate the time anyone takes to criqtue all of us that entered.

Also I agree with what Travis said.
    Orginally posted by Travis Your feedback, as well as everyone elses, is definitely appreciated by the community. Honestly, there has been a strange vibe around the LPS forum over the last several months which I believe started in the round where the results were delayed 2-weeks. Since that point, there seems to have been an atmospheric change. It is almost as though people have been going through the motions but not really with the same energy and drive as the earlier rounds. It was clearly evident in how long it took for someone (I think Pyro this time) to jump in and even start this thread.

As for me, I thought about giving my critiques but lately I've been struggling with a lack of personal inspiration and a loss of confidence, not just in LPS but in my creativeness and photography overall. I'm afraid that it would influence my comments regarding the work of others which wouldn't be fair to them nor give them the proper critique to improve their work.

Peace gail

I should add that encouragement from others to give it another try helps us keep motivated enough to do just that.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    Feedback on page 6 (51-60)
    Another small break between appointments. Here is another 10.

51- Love everything about it. Simple composition with a very expressive touch. It was easy for me to build a story in my mind. The post production reminds me of Renoir; very dramatic and expressive. I wouldn't change a thing.

52- Interesting how things jump out at us when we start looking for them. This is a great example of that. The challenge with a photo like this is making it dynamic enough to compete with some spectacular shots. If I could do that, I guess I wouldn't be selling real estate for a living. My approach to it would be to get even closer to it and maybe at a stronger side angle. Using off camera lighting, I would create some strong and dynamic lighting with the background (possibly sky) being under exposed to increase draw to the tree face. Great eye for catching it.

53- I like your entry better than your original version. Good composition (use of 1/3rds, subject emphasized.) that would look good on a bedroom wall of a nursery or on Grandma's fridge. The only thing I would change in the photo is maybe soften the background a little more. The flower to the right is so crisp that it keeps drawing my eye and fighting for attention. For the competition, to compete, I think it needs to get deeper. How can you draw the viewer/judge into the photo and have them invest some emotion? How can you tell a story?

54- Nikolai...genius! For just throwing something together because you couldn't come up with any thoughts...love it. Shows motion, creative angle, visually stimulating, mysterious but gives enough to make you try to finish the story. Love it.

55- Of all the pet photos, I've never seen a "slap me five". Good job! Love the expression on the dog's face. There is some communication going on there for sure. Although this is a good tight crop, which I generally prefer, I wonder if seeing the master and the interaction between them would be beneficial. I think I want that because the dog is looking to the master. However, if the dog were looking to the hand, a tighter crop yet would be great. Also, try getting down to the dog's level for a new perspective and angle. You may find some fun shots there. More dramatic lighting could also be an area that would increase the wow factor.

56- Great entry. Emotional, good balance of composition, and emphasis of the theme. The BW conversion is dreamy which mirrors the moods, but I would like to see the hands a little crisper to draw a little more attention. Adorable photo. You should use it as your baby announcement.

57- This is a very well executed and stunning composit image. Very creative use of lighting as well as interpretation. Curious what the red balls are? Image provides a great visual pattern. The challenge I have with it for the competition, is I can't relate or draw myself in. I am missing the story but wowwed by the idea. I want to bond with the photo but can't. Love the creativity!

58- This is a great image. Emotionally pulls you in. Good visual patterns. Expression in the eyes as well as the hand is genuine (as if you could coach him to perform this way..."OK, great, now just think of a sad thought...good, right there.") Any recommendations I would make would just be personal taste; so here it is. I would put a slight vignette on the photo to keep the eye in the center more. Looked like a good day at the zoo.

59- This is one of those "unstaged" shots that you either have to get it or you don't. Wow that sounded dumb! What I mean is it is like a wedding. You have to try and anticipate what is going to happen to position yourself in the best place for the best composition. I love the expression and it fits your title well. I would have loved to seen this same shot taken from under the horses mouth with the hands right in the screen with the concentration face in the background. This would also eliminate the competing stare of the horse. Some other angles would be fun as well. Color temporture seems just a little off. In using this photo, maybe a tigher crop of the horses nose to just below the horses eye and across to the cowboy might bring additional focus to the subject and titled theme.

60- Love everything you do. This is a strong composition with a good story. Llighting is effective. The only thing I would change is the expression. I personally would like to see a smirk, like I just beat you in a game of heads-or-tails. His current expression is so serious that the outcome of the coin flip feels to me that it is of dire outcome. Maybe this is true. I just have never been involved in a coin flip of such consequenses. Still love it though.
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Another small break between appointments. Here is another 10.

58- This is a great image. Emotionally pulls you in. Good visual patterns. Expression in the eyes as well as the hand is genuine (as if you could coach him to perform this way..."OK, great, now just think of a sad thought...good, right there.") Any recommendations I would make would just be personal taste; so here it is. I would put a slight vignette on the photo to keep the eye in the center more. Looked like a good day at the zoo.

I'm so glad you decided to keep posting your critiques (glad for everyone). Like others have said, I learn just from reading the C&C of others' photos as well as my own.

Thank you for the comments. I never thought to add vignette onto the corners, but that's a great idea. I think I'll try it when I get home and see how it looks. That would definately break up and soften the lines from the fence.

thanks again!
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Originally by shatch 51- Love everything about it. Simple composition with a very expressive touch. It was easy for me to build a story in my mind. The post production reminds me of Renoir; very dramatic and expressive. I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks so much for your critque. I, along with everyone else really appreciate the time you are taking and the care you display with each entry.

God bless, gail
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    Feedback on page 7 (61-70)
    61- Great composition and execution. Strong seperation from background, dramatic lighting on the subject. The text however, overpowers the subject and draws my attention away. A tigher crop would get you there.

62- Great idea on using a clock face. Love the color of the sky and the brick. Ideas to improve it...get close to the building to create a dynamic angle. Make the clock face as big as you can (zoom), maybe even cutting some of it off, then allowing the focus to fall off the brick into the sky. If you can, try a reshoot and see what you think? By the way...welcome to Dgrin!

63- This is a curious photo. It makes you ask the question, "Why is he not doing anything? Why is he ignoring the customer?" Creates some situational tension. I like the strong contrast BW conversion, however, we did loose some of the detail on the Idle Hands area. I wonder what a tighter crop would look like, say from the back shoulder of the shoe shinner to the knee of the customer. For sure then, you would need to recover the black detail as your picture would be mostly black. Just a thought. Fun street capture.

64- This likewise is a curious photo. The mystery to me is why the hands on the hands. I like the creative attention to the multiple themes (face of the watch, lots of hands). Strong contrasty BW conversion fits the mood of the photo. To make it stronger...Why did he fall? What is the significance of the hands on the hands? Could this be portrayed effectively to the viewer so as to draw me in more and help me become part of the photo?

65- Great story while using just hints or partial elements. Very well told. I like it a lot. I don't think I would change a thing.

66- You need to be proud of this one. Love the blue eyes. Great angle. DOF is great. What would I change about it? I would put my name on it instead of yours. I mean, I would crop the right a little more.

67- Love the Duke. Makes me want to break out an old video. I love your angle on this and your lighting works well for me also. Thoughts for a stronger image...Maybe pick either the hand, or the face and crop tight. Also, maybe a slight rotation of the camer to create some additional visual tention.

68- Great photo. Very effective use of lighting. The only consideration I would propose is the tongue is a strong focus which is not exactly on the theme. I think that even without the snooted tongue, the viewer would still see it in their mind. But what do I know...you did very well with this photo. Good job!

69- This is a well executed nature photo. Would look very good on a calendar. Your challenge with it is in a non-nature specific competition, other entries draw a stronger emotional response. Is there a way that you could capture this photo so that it told more of a story?

70- Very creative approach. Like the tight photo. BW conversion is heavy in the midtones. Would like to see a more dynamic conversion or dimentional lighting. Like the suspended water drops. Next step...draw the viewer in. What is the story behind the photo. Can the viewer see it and follow it and become part of it? BTW, welcome to DGRIN!
  • Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    69- This is a well executed nature photo. Would look very good on a calendar. Your challenge with it is in a non-nature specific competition, other entries draw a stronger emotional response. Is there a way that you could capture this photo so that it told more of a story?

Yea, I pretty much knew I was bucking the odds with a wildlife or landscape shot ... everyone being so jaded with seeing them it had to be extremely unusual or emotionally out there. I was settling for well executed this time, something I'm still learning how to do :)

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    It appears that the "unofficial feedback" is of little value. Of the 50+ unofficial feedbacks, there were very little acknowledgements or responses compared to previous feedback threads. Must be those of us who are trying to share are deemed unqualified. I will be the first to admit that I am very unqualified to provide feedback. ....

Oh man do I wish I didn't work during the day I have missed so much in this thread - I have my settings set to email me when a new post happens in a thread and this response made me think all day!

Shatch - I think your energy level of commenting on each image is very inspiring. Anyone that can look at an image and form an opinion of whether they like or dislike it is QUALIFIED. That means everyone who has the energy to type up a response is more than qualified to express their thoughts on the subject.

Thank you for hawkeye978 for suggesting it and inspiring shatch and others to take the time to express an opinion and give feedback.

I know I said I would be contributing and I will make the time later tonight.

Back to Shatch -- thanks a bunch for your feedback :D I most certainly will be giving a behind the scenes look later tonight as well when I return from an evening meeting.
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Now that the official results are in, please share how you did it! I have a suspicion that you took multiple pictures with the hand in the jar, and simply removed the rest of the hand/person and combined the multiple images... Right?

David

R..... Oh wait this is the wrong thread -- Yes I will be taking some time tonight to give a small glimpse into the production of "The Collection" - over in the behind the scenes thread.
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Everyone has an opinion… some are more informed and educated than others… mine probably not so much, so for what it’s worth… here it is… a short critique on every shot in LPS 20 “hands or faces” starting with number 87 and going in reverse order… My compliments to all photographers who entered!

Winston

#87 Nice personality portrait, the conversion looks flat, not enough range or contrast, there needs to be more depth of field so both eyes are in sharp focus, and the frame behind him is distracting.

#86 I like it, the BW conversion gives it sort of a gritty feel… is there some motion blur from the pinky finger? Can’t tell what it is, somewhat distracting.

#85 very unusual… how many times did you have to photograph the flame before you got one that resembled a face?

#84 color and exposure are flat on this portrait, eyes need some fill flash, it looks like a good old family snap shot.

#83 Cute cat not any issues technically with this shot, the shallow depth of field is ok, could have been deeper to get the other eye in focus, but it still wouldn’t help… there are just way to many cute cat photos out there for this one to stand out as great.

#82 I don’t like this shot, don’t think it fits the theme, and the yellow light aberration is just weird and distracting… and why is there a chain on the apple?

#81 Should have used real hands instead of doll hands, I’m not liking this shot either, it’s soft and underexposed.

#80 The carving just doesn’t do it for me, not much appeal, emotional or otherwise, looks flat or underexposed…

#79 I can’t see the face of the ice sculpture, try a different angle…

#78 Love the portrait, hate the lighting, there are some things you can do in post to make the face “pop” so to speak… check out some of the dgrin tutorials.

#77 I need to see more of the throwing arm, which it looks like you cropped out… the hands don’t really seem to be the focus of this shot… it definitely tells a story though.

#76 This shot is to soft, and the smile looks forced… It looks like it is about a half stop underexposed.

#75 wonderful personality portrait! The BW conversion is lacking here, not enough dynamic range and or contrast.

#74 I don’t like the filter applied to this shot, I think it would be better natural and to show some motion blur in the hands…

#73 lovely subject, good angle, looks a tad underexposed, and when you did the conversion did you simply de-saturate? Check out the dgrin tutorials for bw conversion.

#72 nice portrait, good light, I like the background scene and how she is looking down the tracks… I don’t like the loud colorful patterned shirt she is wearing, it is distracting and glows in the light.

#71 It’s almost a profile portrait… way to much movement, nothing to focus on.

#70 I like it, would like to have seen more, full face and whose hand is it? The person’s or someone else’s? the bw conversion cold be better as well.

#69 squirrels are second only to the chipmunk as being the fiercest rodent on the face of the earth! This was very well captured! Shows attitude…

#68 creepy, nice work with the back light…

#67 John Wayne is one of my hero’s… this statue doesn’t look much like him though, I’m not really digging the overall blue/grayness of the shot… your bird shots though, are second to none!

#66 beautiful, warm, stunning blue eyes, great perspective…

#65 “hands” not frost, or not even one partial gloved dead hand because he couldn’t get the lantern lit! definitely tells a story…

#64 Don’t like the montage of hands in the hand, to many distractions in this shot, hard to see what’s going on… I’m drawn back to the helping hand, wondering what the heck those other images are and why they are there?

#63 Great street shot, should have gone for faces with a tighter crop…

#62 building needs to be straightened, it’s a big clock, but not very interesting…

#61 Don’t get it… what is it? Definitely not one of my favorites.

#60 your face is intriguing enough without the hand and the quarter…

#59 why did you change from your “don’t squat with your spurs” portrait to this one, the later was much better!

#58 poor monkey looks a little ticked off! I would be too… excellent capture… was the fence separating the eyes an accident? Or did you compose it that way on purpose? Inquiring minds want to know…

#57 Just plain bizarre! I feel like I have seen this scene somewhere before? Any way I applaud your execution… very artistic!

#56 not enough of the hands showing, bw conversion could use some help…
    #55 nice capture… looks somewhat snap shotish though… lower angle would have helped this shot…

#54 love it, very creative, love the hand motion, angle and the part of the face with the shades… is this a self portrait?

#53 cute daughter and nicely done portrait, I don’t like the bw flower background…

#52 I love this ent baby shot, a tighter crop would be better, the whole right side of the tree needs to go…

#51 I like it, shows feeling, the treatment is soothing, almost gives it an aged look…

#50 great personality portrait.

#49 except for the model being a tad on the ugly side (looks kind of like uncle Fester from the Adams Family) and he is using a cannon… it is a great personality portrait!

#48 This was a great idea! Poor execution though…

#47 love it… emotional, looks like an intrusion on a special moment…

#46 Cool shot, I like it!

#45 I think a different angle on this one, showing more of what the hands are doing, getting a better perspective on the hands would have been better…

#44 image is gone? Don’t remember what it was?

#43 Nice shot, I like the treatment, spot on theme…

#42 different angle… I can’t even tell death is pointing… different angle, tighter crop to give more emphasis on the hand…

#41 doesn’t work, need to see at least one eyeball, 2 preferably…

#40 I would be frustrated too!

#39 nice macro of part of a finger? The theme was hands or faces… not enough of the hand showing for this to be a contender…

#38 Not strong enough… it is also a tad under exposed and flat…

#37 nice sand sculpture… not a great shot though… I love your bird shots though!

#36 kind of boring, pick a more interesting watch next time…
    #35 I liked your original entry, tighter crop I think… I like this one too though good BW conversion… I like the very shallow depth of field…

#34 nice self portrait, I dig the treatment…

#33 Stunning!

#32 Hated it. Admittedly I have been having quite the photographers block going on lately… Even after some good tips I received in a PM I still couldn’t make this stupid shot work…

#31 This one is ok… a little unsafe though, and the hand needs to be in better focus.

#30 Absolutely wonderful!

#29 I don’t get it?

#28 I’m just not feeling this shot… don’t know if it is the blown area in the back ground or if it is just because the ring doesn’t belong on such a small hand?

#27 excellent portrait and great post processing…

#26 I love it, great capture, perfect lighting and good BW conversion.

#25 nice… stunning capture, hit the theme dead on!

#24 not enough emphasis on the hands, to shallow depth of field…

#23 You captured the right perspective of the hand for the theme… I just think real hands are stronger than statue hands…

#22 oh my god that dog looks pissed… I guess I would be pissed too if someone cut off my ears! Where are his ears?

#21 weird, I don’t get the title?

#20 Awesome portrait! He looks rough…

#19 doesn’t work for the theme, horse looks oof…

#18 cool! I like it… nice framing, excellent bw conversion.

#17 Wow! I wondered why she looked so much like just another doll, then I saw your how to post, opening closed eyes like that isn’t 5min job! Excellent job, I love the shot…

#16 creepy, to say the least… I love it! The only problem is the 2 jars in the back with screw on lids look totally out of place, like they are floating above the other jars…

#15 Is that your mug? Oh my god take some clippers to that ratty lookin beard! I think I probably look this way or worse when pondering partisan politics!

#14 Not enough emphasis on the hand for it to work for the theme… or did you mean the horses profile? Not very pleasing, to much strain against the bit…

#13 ohmmmmmm, ohmmmmmmm, what else can I say, another statue shot…

#12 Crazy indeed! This is a super fun portrait! I like it, tongue and all!

#11 You are a master craftsman I love how all of your images are unique creations made with a very unique and creative style! (you will be so hard to beat in the grand fanale…)

#10 cool and creepy, excellent execution and post processing to come up with such a macabre shot…

#9 nice execution and great bw conversion… great shot, on theme. Thought of doing it myself until I saw yours…

#8 I don’t like Disney characters… sorry, well composed and nice lighting though…

#7 “stop photographing me! I’m on the phone”!

#6 Quite a mug indeed! Could be an advertisement photo, looks very clean…

#5 Sorry I don’t really like this shot… technically very good!

#4 I don’t like this one either, maybe because I’ve seen it done a lot before, any way, good execution and use of directional lighting…

#3 Unoriginal? Probably. The title says it all…

#2 All I can say is, different angle, better focus… the drum things are in the way and distracting, don’t know if you were going for hand or face… neither are anywhere near acceptable focus… Stick to horses Hoof man!
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    shatch wrote:

Best wishes to all.

Your effort is very much appreciated. I have taken this task on before and it is indeed very difficult to really critique each and every photograph- giving positive feedback to what was done right and what could have been done better. I think the time I did a full critique there were over 100 entries. eek7.gif

Anyone willing to take on the task should be applauded- a critique is simply one artists interpretation of anothers work. It is not neccessarily right or wrong just another view point from someone with a similar interest.

It is frustrating when you do not get the votes but if all you are trying to do is win a contest I think you are missing the beauty of photography.

For those of you taking the time to critique- whether it is one shot, one page, or every entry:

clap.gifclap.gifbeer.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    cmurphcmurph Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Some Feedback...bit more to come
    Hey everyone – congratulations on all the great entries here in this round and to all the semi-finalist. Seems I have a bit of time on my hands before the final round so I thought I would provide some feed back for what it is worth. I think Tom has a great idea here and thought I would contribute a bit myself. I can not claim to be skilled at judging photography so please take everything I say with a grain of salt and I hope you do not mind.

2. The Beat Within - I like the idea here and it seems to me music/instrument shots do well in our contest but with that comes a incredible amount of pressure to deliver. The silver holding the drum pad distracted my attention away. I was unable to determine if the focal point was the hand or the face and my eyes drift back to the drum kit. I like the angle of the shot but perhaps a light adjustment to bring more clarity to the focal point

3. Unoriginal? Probably. - I am a sucker for a good bw conversion and I like this one. Expression is good and the dof and vignette draw me into the eyes. I do agree with shatch about the sharpening of the eye. I do notice my eyes drifting to the lips and glasses frame which appear a bit sharper or in focus.

4. I Know What You Did Last Summer – One thing I have learned from my shot and one other I had taken earlier this year is that dark (lighting) shots can work against you. I like the idea here. My eyes are a bit distracted by the blind pulls…the threads that connect each blind slat together (sorry) – seems that line falls on the right third to me which draws my eyes away from the face. One other thing to keep in mind when picking a theme is that if I hadn’t seen the movie I may not understand the shot.

5. Spotlight – I like the concept on this one – is that Barbara Streisand under the hat? I like the bw conversion. The thing that stands out was the hat. Almost to busy for me it left my eyes drifting around it.

6. Mugshot – How can you not love this cutie…I like the light on this one and would love to see some additional expression here. Simple is good and this makes a great memory but the title here wants me to see him in a jail out fit with a cigar hanging out of his mug. Great capture!

7. Controversy Good News- I like the expression here it makes me wonder what the news was? I like your original owl as well and haven’t had a chance to find out why you changed it. I think the light is off on this one for me and find my eyes drift to her finger in her ear and the huge rocks on each of her fingers….just a bit of envy there though J

8. Polly Want A Cracker – Love Disney – for me the fact that it is Disney distracts from this shot possibly to commercial for my taste. I do like the shot though it’s tough to get a good shot in a dark place like this. The other thing that stood out was the strange pot marks on the actors face. My eyes do drift to them and also his mic. There also seems to be some motion blur on the parrot nose.

9. tickleing the ivory - One of my favorites here and a well deserved 1st. Love the BW conversion on this shot and the focal point is spot on! Only thing I was the motion blur was a tiny bit strong for my but the focal point and the nice light keep me right where I need to be on this one.

10. Nightmare Visage – I like the idea on this one and the bluish/greenish filtered tint is a nice touch. As I had stated previously dark lighting shots tend to suffer in this contest but they are fun to do. Possibly more light on the eyes and teeth would help. Very ghoulish shot here seems we had a darker then normal contest this time around.

11. The Evening News – I think you have already critiqued your shot to death but I will try to add a little salt to your wounds my friend. Yes her tears did look fake J but…I love her expression and the tv in her eyes was a nice touch. You may have over baked the PS on her skin tones. Your creative side is what I love and is what makes your shots such a pleasure to view. When you nail your shots no one can compete with them. Thank you for support and your feed back you have a great heart!

12. Here's Your Sign...... Crazy is spot on! Nice expression. This must have been a fun one to shoot. I like the idea here the blue back drop is a bit distracting perhaps a mental hospital? Seriously though my eyes are drift in his nostril caves…lol He does have some nice eyes and a bit of lighting to bring them out and hey is he flipping me the bird…

13. Quest - the quest starts with in on this one. I like the focus point on the hands and I am draw to the face with a subtle dof. Not sure the bw conversion here seems to need some additional contrast wouldn’t mind seeing this one in a Hi Key – or possibly see this in color with a setting sun as the back drop.

14. Conversations - Yielding to the Master's touch.I am a sucker for the ponies and shoot a great deal of them. I like this shot. It seems to me that horse/animal shots are difficult to pull off in the contest unless they are very fresh and bring something new. Only critique would be the bit seems a bit snug at the time of the shot..2 seconds later. Perhaps you caught this one as she just let off the reigns. I like the main flowing in the wind but there needs to be more pop in this shot for the contest.

15. Pondering Partisan Politics – Love title and the expression fits it nicely. Perhaps you may consider taking a step back from this guy? I see a small light/flash on the left eye. I would like to see a bit more pop in the BW conversion on this one.

16. The Collection – Love this shot it is terribly creepy. This one shows just about how dark you can go, to me any more and it would have been a different shot. The only thing that stood out to me on this one was the 2 jars in the back…possibly the lids are off a bit or it’s the wall in the back ground…one of these things doesn’t belong but now I am just nit picking – great shot my friend!

17. One in a Million – Love this shot Emily – I had to do a double take to find her in there…is she a bit claustrophobic now? Great title and great theme only thing on this one is my eyes drift to the right on the doll with the big bright blue eyes. I would also wonder what this would do in BW but her eyes are so pretty I would like to see them pop a bit more.

18. Framed - Liked the light on this but hoped the BW conversion would pop a bit more. I have seen this shot before somewhere so I was bit lost trying to remember where I had seen it. Love the composition on it and the sharpness seems just about right.

19. Please shut up.Like the scene here and the BW conversion is nice. Seems to be a bit of motion blur on the hand or possibly the focus seems to be on the hat. Good line as my eyes went to the hand on the nose. Not sure the title fits the shot. I would like to see the horse/hand a bit sharper.

20. Rough Rider – I like the shot as its title clearly fits this scene. The emotion seems good as well. I am not sure I am sold on the conversion technique I know a lot out there like this format and I think it works with the shot. I don’t know why this technique doesn’t seem to have grown on me yet. My eye is a bit drawn to the line in the back ground and that could be cloned away. The wind in his hair is a very nice touch here and adds a great deal to the Rough Rider.

21. The Devil’s Workshop – Just missed the cut on this one. I like this shot as it has a crisp feel to it. Not sure I totally understand it but it’s a good capture. I would like to see a bit more pop in the conversion. The oily hands should allow for additional contrast.

22. Yawn! – Not sure on this one. I think the first shot was more to my like/style. This one seems to have lost the theme for me as I am focusing on the growl more then its face or paws. The back ground is a bit to black and the dogs head is drifting on me. The color is a bit of distract as well. Seems the focus point him more close to the chest and the light seems to be more focused there as well. I’m sure he/she is a nice dog but she sure looks..er em..not so happy with this shoot.

23. shown - Nothing says it better then this hand! I like this shot but it seems a bit cold to me possibly do to the conversion. I always see our savior in a warm light even in such a dark time as this was. I like the composition and the crop leaves me ashamed of what has occurred but at the same time I know he forgives and I am not seeing this and perhaps is why I feel cold by it as if he has turned his back on us which is not the case. I actually like the black in the back ground and the light on his shoulder.

24. The Future of Music – Nice warm conversion here I actually really like this as it goes nicely of what I know about the wood. I would like to see a bit more focus on the front hand as my mind seems to focus more on the instrument then the hands. My eyes are torn to follow the neck up to the back hand and then along the way I see another hand that seems almost out of place. Perhaps moving the front hand down and or possibly adding a bow at across the strings.

25. Surprise! – Mimes frighten me and quark has added a new look to be burned into my mind…thank you for that! Love the shot the expression and this one hits the theme no doubt about it. I like the fact that she isn’t looking at me in her surprise as this softens the blow of the mime. Lighting is good not sure about the makeup though my eyes seem to get caught on the bits at the corners of her lips. Classic shot that seems to win in many places.

26. An Amazing World Awaits – Cute shot with a good expression. Would like to see more pop on the conversion but still I do like the softness of this one. I like how you have the light on the face my only thing with shot is I think it’s been done so it didn’t really push me.

27. Ryan – My son is also named Ryan so I immediately liked this shot. Love this one its simple not over done and very crisp. The vignette brings me in on this one possibly a bit to much. Very nice conversion from the original on it I really like the skin tones and how crisp it is very nice shot.

28. Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend - Why yes they are honey and you never forget that! This is a cute shot that I have seen before. I like the subtle pink in the background but something just doesn’t pop on this photo. Skin tones seem a bit washed out or possibly the back ground above is triggering this. Also the focus on the ring is a bit out and my eye is actually drawn to look at it and I get lost there.

29. Remembrance of Things Past – I like the emotion on this shot. Perhaps a bit to much baby powder. This is a fresh shot and shows great potential. The girl in the photo to the upper left is a bit distracting. I would like to see a full hand drawn over the face..ie remove the dust by wiping the full hand over the shot to remove a bit more of the powder with a few more tears for smear. I also wonder about reversing the focus so the frame is a bit out with the hand more in focus. I like the angle of this shot seems that I am peaking in on a sad moment and allows me to share this.

30. I was just like you Hahaha.... Like this shot its hard to go wrong with this subject. I was surprised you didn’t do a BW or Tri/Color conversion as most do. I like this in color. My only thing is his beard which almost seems green to my eye… Great capture it is nice and crisp. Only other thing would be some light on the eyes to bring them out and keep me from looking at his beard…lol

More to come..

:wow
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    60 - Heads. Great shot. I need to practice using flash to get this isolation. Great detail in the face, hand, and coin.

Thanks! When I first started shooting for LPS back in #1 (On the Rocks) I really struggled with isolation. I don't really know what has changed since then other than a lot of practice, but inky black backgrounds seem to be second nature to me these days. In fact, I think I rely on them too much as a crutch when I don't have a better idea...
    [/quote]
    shatch wrote:
    60- Love everything you do. This is a strong composition with a good story. Llighting is effective. The only thing I would change is the expression. I personally would like to see a smirk, like I just beat you in a game of heads-or-tails. His current expression is so serious that the outcome of the coin flip feels to me that it is of dire outcome. Maybe this is true. I just have never been involved in a coin flip of such consequenses. Still love it though.

Thanks! You're right about the expression; posing for self portraits is not my strong suit, but there is a limit to how much I can impose on my victims, er, I mean friends. The original plan for this shot was to catch the coin in the air with the strobe in multi-shot mode, but the coin was too small and got lost in the background. At 3AM I was tired and went for the easy shot instead.
    #60 your face is intriguing enough without the hand and the quarter…
    One of the things I was working on in this shot was a split light portrait with a moderatly hard light source. Done right it can be very dramatic and I wanted to add it to my pool of tricks to pull out in a portrait session. The idea I started with for the quarter fell through so in the end the quarter, which was supposed to be featured did kind of end up playing second fiddle.

Thank you everyone for your comments not only in this round but in all rounds. One conclusion I have come to through playing in this competition is that every opinion has merit. I have become a much better photographer by reading every opinion and trying my best to integrate it into my style. Many times I have read a comment and at first it made no sense to me; only after days of mulling it in the back of my mind have I figured out what it meant for me and how I shoot.