Options

LPS20 - Unofficial Feedback Thread

1235»

Comments

• Options
    tinfishtinfish Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    46: Perfect image in a lot of ways. The lighting provides great separation from the background, the hand is clear and sharp, the dropping water in line with the arm, splash is balanced. What it lacks to me is that it doesn’t convey any emotion or message, certainly not in line with the title, thought I do see the dirty arm and hand.

I'm not real sure how I would convey more emotion. I could have made the hand dirtier, but I do not think that is what you mean. A different pose all together including a face in the shot? Are you saying the shot maybe is too staged, kind of stagnet? Honestly, I never really thought about it. Thank you though, very helpful. I know you have put a forth a lot of effort doing this for everyone, so I will not be offended if you do not reply. But, if you have some suggestions on how to convey more emotion in an image like this I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.
    Jeff Harbin
    "Life of Riley" Photography
    www.lifeofrileyphotography.com
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Let me get done with the entire list of entries before I reply!

Continuing:

51: Gail, you’ve taken the very simple and traditional approach on this, and the image delivers. The title, also simple matches perfectly. The open, upturned hand of the wise, the following hand of youth. Great job! Made my top ten.

52: Well, the face in the bark comes through immediately, so in this you hit your interpretation of the theme. For me, however, the image doesn’t evoke anything in me. Maybe I’m saying this more than once in this thread, but what would improve it would be to light it in some way that the features create more shadows, to express character. Even if there’s no natural position of the sun, you could light it artificially at night

53: It’s a well taken portrait. I think you might toy with this image using the high-pass method that PaulThomasMcKee talks about to see if you can even make it better.

54: Critique the Nik? You’ve got to be kidding. Actually, this is one of the most creative images I’ve seen from Nik. An example of doing the opposite of your tendency non and then and what it can produce! Sometimes just stop trying and it will happen. Great job Nik!

55: I know you are trying to show the interaction between dog and person. That is conveyed. The image doesn’t seem clear enough to me. Not sure if it’s just out of focus or if it’s overly sharpened. At 1/640th, the action should be stopped well enough. You might also do more to bring out the colors that are available.

56: I would crop out most of the bottom of the image, event the hand in the foreground. Maybe also do some more to keep the hand in focus, but I can’t see in this image.

57: A very interesting art shot that I just don’t get, but don’t think that totally matters! The selective coloration of the orbs just takes my attention away from both hands or face. You have used excellent skill here, but in all the wrong places.

58: I like this one much. Both face and hand are shown in context of the cage. This might not be a human, but the eyes communicate nonetheless. Good job cropping in on what’s important.

59: I have to admit that I’m careful critiquing photos of horses… I’m not sure which face we’re supposed to be looking at. We have the horse seeming to say, “again?”, and the person intent on getting the leather adjusted properly. Perhaps crop in on which one you intend as the subject. I can see the “concentration,” just that it does not come through that strongly.

60: Not only a double interpretation, but perhaps a triple interpretation. Both eyes and coin in sharp focus. Good choice to convert to bw to express contrast in the idea. Good lighting from the side to give your own facial features some definition. Of course, we’ve come to expect this sort of quality from you!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:
    Let me get done with the entire list of entries before I reply!

57: A very interesting art shot that I just don’t get, but don’t think that totally matters! The selective coloration of the orbs just takes my attention away from both hands or face. You have used excellent skill here, but in all the wrong places.

Haha! Fair (and very generous) comment. I sometimes have a problem with right and wrong, I don't know about anyone else. BTW, the orbs are photographs, no selective color there. They are certainly a very important part of the story of this pic, but they get a lot of their energy, and are controlled by (to some degree - or are in dialogue with) the hands. The palette is basically just red and gray. Nicely balanced, even if I do say so myself. Minimalist, I think, maybe, to be high falutin'.

I do genuinely thank you for your comment!

Best
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2008
    Hoof Clix 51: Gail, you’ve taken the very simple and traditional approach on this, and the image delivers. The title, also simple matches perfectly. The open, upturned hand of the wise, the following hand of youth. Great job! Made my top ten.

Thanks, you have me a smile.:D

Peace, gail
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:
    30: Once again, Awais delivers the goods. I think he belongs on Chris Johns’ team over at NGM. You should enter the daily photo over there, as you might just get discovered.

More pages later!

Wow just googled Chris Johns ! eek7.gifhuheek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:
    48: This is a neat idea and would have worked for me except for one small thing. Whenever I see a composite, believability has to pop out immediately, and the angle of connection between the middle arm and the wall make it look like it’s floating out there, not attached. The far arm a bit the same. But for that, the image is well lit and composed.

Thanks for the comments HoofClix. I appreciate the time you took. I will take all my comments to heart and adjust things in the future.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    Back fer s'more y'all!

61: From the first instant of looking at this, I remain confused as to what exactly this is. That just prevents me from either being moved by the photo or getting the message.

62: I can see that it’s a face of a clock here, but it just doesn’t move me or say anything, other than perhaps 5:14, PM assumed.

63: The title says “Idle Hands,” but it’s the bright face that I am continuously drawn to. I can see hands, but that portion is so dark that I can’t tell if he’s pausing, or what, without study. Perhaps shooting the action of polishing the shoes, then cropping in very closely so that face and hands are seen in unison.

64: You’re trying to tell a story here, but the person needing help is out of focus, and the conversion has really hidden all the work you did to create the helping hand. A tighter crop of the interplaying between the hands, along with a dark background would tell the story better.

65: Very well exposed image that’s trying to tell a story. One wonders what that is, but in this case there need not be an answer. I like it.

66: A quality image that lives up to what we expect from annnna! Look at the color in the eyes, the focus, the finished sharpness. Great portrait, but there are many portraits in this round.

67: I wondered if I’m standing at the baggage claim of John Wayne OC, but that statue’s inside, isn’t it? I’ve said my say about statues, but I will say that if that’s the choice, they need to be taken as part of the surroundings. Don’t know how this could be done in this case.

68: Another one in my top 5 (hoping I don’t have 6 of them yet) A neat image idea. My mind runs on how you did it.

69: A very high quality capture, crop and finishing, of my arch-enemy. I caught three of his cousins in my attic this past weekend. I’ve two hav-a-harts in play all winter long, and I find that no type of bait works more than once. I have to check them often so they don’t freeze to death after they get caught. When they come down the fireplace in the early fall, I find that my barbecue tongs work well to hold onto them while carrying them through the house to put them outside. They scream a bit, but they’re in good condition when I toss them into the yard.

70: I do like this idea, especially to crop it like you did. There’s no title, so the subject and message elude me.
    Mark
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    71: I think I can speak technically on this one. Besides the subject and composition, you need to decide what you are doing. Are you trying to use the blur caused by low shutter speed to say something, or are you going to have a focused image say something? You are right in the middle here. If you are trying to use the motion blur, you need to try to have something in the image that stands out as more clear than other parts. For instance, with ½ second shutter speed, try your darndest to keep the face fixed in the viewfinder, even timing her movement. Then the face would be clear, the hand blurred…. Even the noise in this image wouldn’t matter if the face were more clear.

72: Very nice portrait that shows her mood very well. However you lit it, the shadow edges are soft enough to not be harsh. I like also that the angle of her head seems to be in line with the tracks. Nice job.

73: Delightful image. Face says love, hand says peace, written on the shirt. Cropping the top, from just below the chin, out to the left of the hand, would be another way to get the message across without the writing. Still, very nice.

74: A neat image. The post processing is one way to go with the subject. I don’t prefer the halo, and perhaps you could have gone for some more finger movement in this one, but it works well. I expected more fret boards in this round!

75: Whoever he is, I’m sure he loves you for this very nice portrait. The cynical smirk makes it. Great focus, and in this case the flat tonal range, IMO, works very well. Still, you might try to set white and black points on this image, say the white some part of the background or his shirt, and the black point to be in his eye. Everything should lead to his eyes here. Nice job.

76: Image no longer there.

77: Great idea. I can’t see the exif to see your shutter speed, but there’s too little of his face shown for it to tell a message, and the hand and arm aren’t in focus well enough to say anything. I’d have had the boy there, but time it so the head hadn’t turned so at least there’d be a profile. This would be the same for either color or bw.

78: I’m not sure if she’s calmly posing or if she’s staring me down. I guess that’s the point. Those eyes have seen it all, now they look upon boring ‘ol me! You should do a whole bunch of portraits of folks in that community as a project!

79: I have to look hard to see the face in the ice. I say well executed, but it’s a statue.

80: Whoever created this figurine made a very nice interpretation of a couple in love. You have captured that very well. You could crop out most of the top to show it better, but I just can’t place this above other images in the round.

81: Interesting enough capture of the doll’s hands to make it hard to discern it from a real baby. I do like that an eye is discernable in the background. Use this lighting skill and angle on a real person, and you’d have me.

82: Regardless of the fact that there’s a face and hand there, the apple is the subject of this one. The eye is closed, and since only that small part of the face is visible, the image as presented lacks balance. Crop out everything left of the hand. The color motion from the flash sync isn’t working for me, but to others perhaps better.

83: It is an intense face on that cat. I like the blue background as well. Good focus and sharpening I believe. You might toy with the color to get the white correct, or work on the white balance. Can I borrow this feline to help with my squirrels>

84: A nice portrait. Self or a friend? Lots of portraits in this round to look at.

85: I see it, the face in the flame! Other than that, I think that there are some assignments on shooting flames that Nik has done. You might look into those to see how to improve such a shot.

86: Wow! That’s what I mean when I talk about cropping. This image can speak so many different things depending on how you do the conversion, and then also if you had kept it in color. I myself would have chosen the focal point as the mouth and index finger.

87: At the shows when the last horse runs, the announcer says, “Folks, this is the one we’ve been looking for all day, so pay attention!” The message fits the title, but choose a focus point, the face, the hand, or both. The expression and the crop are just fine. Also, as “cheers” connotes happiness, I would have left it in color, even if that is a beer.

Abadee, abadee, abadee….. that’s all folks!

........Except for the fact that I must make some comments to say how hard this was. I’ve started many a thread like this only to chickin out because I was afraid I’d offend someone. As proven, I'm very easily offended myself. I've tried to do this in as professional manner as I can. I highly suggest any and all do this, as you learn a lot by considering all of these images.

Now off to shoot my SF image. Not trying to win, just to move forward!

“Onward!” (Often heard from the lips of Seoul Olympian Jane Sleeper!)
    Mark
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:

........Except for the fact that I must make some comments to say how hard this was. I’ve started many a thread like this only to chickin out because I was afraid I’d offend someone. As proven, I'm very easily offended myself. I've tried to do this in as professional manner as I can. I highly suggest any and all do this, as you learn a lot by considering all of these images....

“Onward!” (Often heard from the lips of Seoul Olympian Jane Sleeper!)

I agree completely -- the time commitment aside -- struggling with being as objective and professional as possible when commenting was certainly a challenge. I was worried I would offend but if I was to bend my thoughts to avoid saying what I really felt then what would the point of the comment be for both parties?

I am very excited to see several of us participating in giving feedback it adds so much depth the learning experience.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    67: I wondered if I’m standing at the baggage claim of John Wayne OC, but that statue’s inside, isn’t it? I’ve said my say about statues, but I will say that if that’s the choice, they need to be taken as part of the surroundings. Don’t know how this could be done in this case.
    well The DUKE in this case stands outside in Beverly Hills in front of a bank .Now new port want them to send John to them [were he lived ] that may be a better photo op
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    I just went back through the thread quickly. Wow! What a great example of a community pulling together to elevate the whole. I am very impressed by the quality of the discussion and critiquing. Thank you to all who participated in this thread. Special thanks to Hawkeye978, Shudderz, AaronNelson, VisualXpressions, Cmurph, Sherstone, and Hoofclix for providing feedback on my photo. I think we should do this again. The growth from this for me personally has been worth the sacrificed time to do it. Took a few days to catch up but still worth it. 'Til the next round... Best wishes to all!!