Options

Muench University

Comments

• Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Good to see you went backthumb.gif

This light looks good for black and white! I believe there needs to be more space around the barn.

Something to try.........
    Even if you dont believe the composition looks good while on location, just shoot a bunch with the barn in different locations of the frame. This is a very simple exercise, as there is no need to change lenses, focus or position. Just move the camera around to place the barn in different corners and such. If you wish, I would welcome you to post several here in the future when you complete themwings.gif
  • Options
    ITOTITOT Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 29, 2009
    Good to see you went backthumb.gif

This light looks good for black and white! I believe there needs to be more space around the barn.

Something to try.........
    Even if you dont believe the composition looks good while on location, just shoot a bunch with the barn in different locations of the frame. This is a very simple exercise, as there is no need to change lenses, focus or position. Just move the camera around to place the barn in different corners and such. If you wish, I would welcome you to post several here in the future when you complete themwings.gif

What does one look for in a lighting situation when one wants to shoot in black and white? I tried converting the barn above to black and white. I am not certain I have the contrast right and the clouds look motley to me. I'll try the exercise you suggest with the Barn and other things I photograph as well.

With regard to space, I have one photograph of a decaying house that I took when I went back to photgraph the barn. I like the photo and there is plently of space around the house. However, I am afraid the plenty may actually be too much. I know this game has rules and there are other people waiting in line, but would you allow me to post that one photgraph so that you may give me input on space. I seem to have difficulty with that.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    ITOT wrote:
    What does one look for in a lighting situation when one wants to shoot in black and white?

This is a deep topic, but there are a few tips that can get you started. First, the most important aspect of black and white imagery is shape. Second, luminosity will guide the viewers eye through the image or to the subject of the image. Third, to pre-visualize the shape and luminosity in black and white can be tricky. If you own a Canon camera, use the black and white picture style. This will allow you to preview your image in black and white on the cameras LCD. If you have the camera set to shoot RAW, you can always change the image back to color in post, Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom.

Regarding the issue with space around the subject, I would be happy to view one of your images in regards to this topicdeal.gif
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    This is a deep topic, but there are a few tips that can get you started. First, the most important aspect of black and white imagery is shape. Second, luminosity will guide the viewers eye through the image or to the subject of the image. Third, to pre-visualize the shape and luminosity in black and white can be tricky. If you own a Canon camera, use the black and white picture style. This will allow you to preview your image in black and white on the cameras LCD. If you have the camera set to shoot RAW, you can always change the image back to color in post, Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom.

Regarding the issue with space around the subject, I would be happy to view one of your images in regards to this topicdeal.gif

I am using a Pentax K20D which does not have the option for black and white picture style. I haven't shot in RAW. I took a couple of photography courses through the visual arts department of a local community college and the instuctors collectively decided they wanted students to shoot in JPEG. I think their rationale was that students would work harder to take a good photo, if they had fewer post-processing options. However, I realize most photogrpaher shoot in RAW. I just haven't gotten around to trying it.

I think I understand the idea of luminosity guiding the viewers eye to the subject, but can you give me an example of what I should notice about shape.

I attached a photo and I wonder if the space around the home is appropriate, too much, or perhaps everything is too centered. Thank you for taking the time to give me feedback.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    I get the logic of shooting jpegs while learning. It is a bit more like film was, less forgiving forcing the photographer to be more critical of the light and color balance. Most photographers like myself just shoot in RAW because we can! Actually it allows more creative freedom, but only if you understand why. If you shoot a jpeg the camera does all the work for you, color balance, contrast, sharpening, tonal range, etc, etc. By shooting in RAW one can adjust all the settings in post, making the technical experience of shooting a bit less constricting.

Consider color a spicemwink.gif
    If the shape and texture of a composition are not interesting enough, color can add the extra touch. Shape is similar in the black and white world. The shapes of shadows or highlights can add interest to an image.
    In the image below, I was not interested in anything other than the amazing shape formed by this vine.
    497637151_dyWiK-S.jpg

Regarding your image of the house, WONDERFULthumb.gif

Although the contributing element making the centered composition work is the power lines. If you remove them, the building becomes isolated, with no connection to the edges of the frame. Earlier, I mentioned to include some branches or tall grasses to do just this.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2009
    I get the logic of shooting jpegs while learning. It is a bit more like film was, less forgiving forcing the photographer to be more critical of the light and color balance. Most photographers like myself just shoot in RAW because we can! Actually it allows more creative freedom, but only if you understand why. If you shoot a jpeg the camera does all the work for you, color balance, contrast, sharpening, tonal range, etc, etc. By shooting in RAW one can adjust all the settings in post, making the technical experience of shooting a bit less constricting.

Consider color a spicemwink.gif
    If the shape and texture of a composition are not interesting enough, color can add the extra touch. Shape is similar in the black and white world. The shapes of shadows or highlights can add interest to an image.
    In the image below, I was not interested in anything other than the amazing shape formed by this vine.

497637151_dyWiK-S.jpg

Regarding your image of the house, WONDERFULthumb.gif

Although the contributing element making the centered composition work is the power lines. If you remove them, the building becomes isolated, with no connection to the edges of the frame. Earlier, I mentioned to include some branches or tall grasses to do just this.

Wow, the example is great and because of it I understand the role that shape plays in a black and white composition. In addition, it gives me ideas for types of black and white shots to try. I noticed an upright piano sitting on the curb on my way to work this morning. I thought it might make an interesting photo, but did not have time to stop. If it is not gone, I'll try it tomorrow.

It may be a while before I get back to the barn. In the meantime, I will try the exercise you suggested with other subjects. I will also try shooting in RAW to see what I can do.

Someone looking at the photo of the house asked if I was going to remove the power lines. I said no and that I felt the lines belonged there. However, I am not sure I considered that they made the centered composition work. I certainly understand that now.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. It is always exciting to learn something. I can't wait to get out and give your suggestions a try.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
    20091207-asjtt88xk1146w21fes5f3h39.jpg

Good light
    Good composition
    Good colors
    Great subject

Great choice of technique to set the mood for the subjectwings.gif

Though I like this image very much, I do think even more dramatic lighting could have made for an even greater effect. The light around the building is exactly what I am talking about. The highlights on the bushes in the FG and the spot light striking the fence or gate behind the building is great. There is just a bit too much even light on the building. If you consider what the image is about the lighting effect may become more apharent to you. It may be better to have only one source of light to create some reality in the scene. By that I mean, there could have been someone with a flash light approaching the building and the image is about their exploration. As it sits there is no reason for the light on the building.

I offer up this criticism to you only because the location is so very interesting and your technique is so very close.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    20091229-csegkqkd957rt2srre2gcmetp7.jpg

Well exposed
    Post processing looks good
    Well composed

Your timing is very close to perfect in this image. What I am thinking is that if the shadow along the base of the composition protruded up into the tree trunk just a bit, the tree would serve to group the two sections of the composition together. This could possible make quite a big difference. I do appreciate where you placed the tree within the surroundings and find that most appealing.

As it stands I am drawn to the tree and just how interesting the environment and atmosphere is surrounding it.

Have you tried converting this to black and white? Please tell me why, if you had a strong feeling about the color version?
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2010
    20100115-r4mkrudi8k328bn1emfacadc75.jpg

20100115-b9gkjp62unj2hdi3ysbre17h5i.jpg

20100115-t17b9k6dax5su4uqfmwyua5k38.jpg

Karl,

I do like that you are keeping the compositions simple.

I also find that the low contrast refreshing and compliments the simple compositions. My guess is that you have not spent much time post processing these. If you have, kudos to you for making it look the opposite.

The low contrast appears to be working because the scenes are colorful.
    I do not know what the subject is though! This is something I like to discover in most landscapes.
    It looks as though all the images were taken with a similar focal length. Depending on what you are trying to portray with these images it might help to work with some different focal lengths and get closer to your subjects.
  • Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    Marc,

Thank you for your critique!

The second and third images did take quite a bit of time to process, so that is nice to hear your kudos there.

As far as the lack of subject, I very much agree after looking at these again. Looking at the 3rd one of the river -- I had intended to hike to Hidden Falls (the fall of water closest to the top of the image), but ended up a little bit down river from the falls. I found this scene instead, and really liked the color and movement of the river. Using what I know of composition, I framed what you see here.

Looking at what is in the image, what would have made a good subject? Determining a subject when I walk up to a scene like this is definitely something that I am struggling with.

Regarding focal lengths, the first image was shot at 200mm, the second at 154mm and the third image was shot at 18mm.

Any tips on seeing subjects in landscape images would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Karl Abbott
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    Karl

I should clarify! The lack of subject is not such an issue when you are presenting a series of images for a location, concept or event. However, for stand alone images, a subject becomes far more important to engage the viewer since all you have is one image to tell the entire story or catch someones attention.
    If these three images represented one park or location they would become quite effective with the variation of color and composition. Yes, I do see that the river image is taken with a wide angle, now that you mention iteek7.gif

Regarding each of these images standing alone, I think they lack a defined subject. The river image is very close but leaves me to wonder if the subject is the river or the boulders. I find that if I define a subject while walking into a scene like this, my images become more captivating. For example, If I am inspired by the shapes of the rocks, I will make a particular boulder with great lines, cracks or interest of some kind the focus, get closer, make it brighter and so on. However, if the water is running clear or acting unusual in some manor I may be inspired to show it off. I guess it comes down to what catches my eye upon being there. On that note, I think you are doing well in the third image and only need to define it a bit better.

If the water was my inspiration, I may use this composition.
    20100119-t64eqe315n8gtfrcfiga6ecn7s.jpg

Then I would lighten the background and darken the foreground to add a touch of depth.
    20100119-cn25gh47p537cf3nsehjg46rfk.jpg
  • Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Marc,

Thank you very much for your helpful critiques -- I will definitely be working on the things you've talked about. It's great to have Muench University!

Cheers,
    Karl
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2010
    karlabbott wrote:
    Marc,

Thank you very much for your helpful critiques -- I will definitely be working on the things you've talked about. It's great to have Muench University!

Cheers,
    Karl

Good to hear, and thank you for your kind commentclap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2010
    It has been a while since my last post here, sorry for the delay. However, I am always thrilled by what everyone posts here.

20100225-pnf8jn6y2qrs8s1msidmucmihy.jpg

Great composition!
    Great colors!
    Good post processing!

This is a good example of an image that simply needs a bit more mystery. The fog is there, the light is early and dark, or should be! The composition takes me from up close to the distant islands beyond Cadillac Mountain. I have included the image below with comments that I believe would improve this image in post.

20100225-a65i1c6uwhs7fcu6gy41y3axr.jpg

The changes should be made with gradated masks. The final change I would recommend is to lower the contrast to the entire image.

Good luck and let me know if you need any guidance.
  • Options
    astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    It has been a while since my last post here, sorry for the delay. However, I am always thrilled by what everyone posts here.

20100225-pnf8jn6y2qrs8s1msidmucmihy.jpg

Great composition!
    Great colors!
    Good post processing!

This is a good example of an image that simply needs a bit more mystery. The fog is there, the light is early and dark, or should be! The composition takes me from up close to the distant islands beyond Cadillac Mountain. I have included the image below with comments that I believe would improve this image in post.

20100225-a65i1c6uwhs7fcu6gy41y3axr.jpg

The changes should be made with gradated masks. The final change I would recommend is to lower the contrast to the entire image.

Good luck and let me know if you need any guidance.

Thanks for the Critique Mark. Initially I didn't process this shot, as I wasn't thrilled with it, as it was kind of a crummy morning overall. But I think what you suggest is definately do-able, and I should have looked at it before. But that is what this thread is for. Thanks for pointing those things out. Now hopefully I can pull some good weather up there this year, as I have struck out the last two times up there, last year.

-Andy
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2010
    Its been a while since these were posted but I did not want them to slip by. I believe they were all taken by the same person and therefore wanted to make a collective remark. I think they would be more involving if they were presented in a "triptic" meaning three images together.

20100517-rx6qus9j14hbn682tan3uh1qtw.jpg

Please let me know if these were taken by different people or if this is not what your vision was. I did this in the hopes that you would consider presenting these images as a series. Please feel free to rearrange them or turn them all into color or or or.... and re post!

Cheers
    Marc
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2010
    This black and white struck me as something that needed to be reshaped!
    I like the composition and action, but believe the emphasis is in the wrong places. I believe the emphasis could be on the crashing wave and the reflection below. Reducing the contrast in the rocks above will take attention away from them as well.

20100602-x9fgbahbxyqrkehdg4cat4pkbr.jpg
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    This black and white struck me as something that needed to be reshaped!
    I like the composition and action, but believe the emphasis is in the wrong places. I believe the emphasis could be on the crashing wave and the reflection below. Reducing the contrast in the rocks above will take attention away from them as well.

20100602-x9fgbahbxyqrkehdg4cat4pkbr.jpg

Marc, thank you for taking the time to critique my image. Of the three I uploaded, this black & white from Crystal Cove was the one I was really hoping you would have some comments for (please don't let that stop you from looking at the others, I'm sure they could each use a fair amount of touch ups as well! rolleyes1.gif)

I like the direction the changes below have taken, though I'm on a different monitor than I was when I first converted the image so calibration may vary. How does this version work for you?

888245922_qXSaN-O.jpg

Adjustments: A levels and slight +contrast adjustment layers to increase the contrast for the reflection. Increased opacity for the layer blending in the foreground rock. Another contrast adjustment layer to decrease the contrast on the background rocks. And slightly less sharpening on after cropping down to 800px.

Thanks again!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2010
    20100603-ffy4nmkjin71m931hd9q69xkuj.jpg

Great work! just added a few more directions. I think the lower left got a bit dark now. Try matching the good tones below the rock with wave. By adding contrast the area usually gets darker and by lowering contrast the area will get lighter. Usually I modify any changes in curves by increasing or decreasing luminance at the same time I make any contrast change. The same can be done in levels so long as you understand what is happening. I would suggest that you lower the luminance in the sky as well back to where it was originally. It appears that the area is now lighter because the contrast was lowered. The only additional change 'might' help, expand the mask that lightened the rock into the crashing wave, as it seems a bit muddy.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2010
    20100603-ffy4nmkjin71m931hd9q69xkuj.jpg

Great work! just added a few more directions. I think the lower left got a bit dark now. Try matching the good tones below the rock with wave. By adding contrast the area usually gets darker and by lowering contrast the area will get lighter. Usually I modify any changes in curves by increasing or decreasing luminance at the same time I make any contrast change. The same can be done in levels so long as you understand what is happening. I would suggest that you lower the luminance in the sky as well back to where it was originally. It appears that the area is now lighter because the contrast was lowered. The only additional change 'might' help, expand the mask that lightened the rock into the crashing wave, as it seems a bit muddy.

Marc,
    Luminance and how curves or levels adjustments affect it was something I hadn't noticed before, but now that you pointed it out, I couldn't help but see the difference!

888896469_wdQpN-O.jpg

Hmm... After re-reading your comments just now, I'm not sure I took the rock with the wave crashing on it in the right direction. It doesn't look as muddy on my screen now, but did I go too dark on it in this version?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2010
    I agree that the rock/wave area is too dark and believe it could become the fist read. If you agree, I would recommend making the top of the crashing water brighter. Then I would drag a gradient mask from top down reaching just the top of the wave, this will make a gradated mask side to side. I would darken this mask but carefully decreasing contrast a bit. I can show you this with a screen shot of the curve I think would work if you like? The idea being that the even darker sky will reinforce the brightness of the wave, directing the viewers eye.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2010
    I can show you this with a screen shot of the curve I think would work if you like?

Yes please!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2010
    here is the first move with curve
    20100610-pi65y4tmtbfuym3exq8quimdur.jpg

and the second move on top of wave
    20100610-r96t4q31yf43wy6xf96pds3tny.jpg

20100610-fdmt5632ntsbc2bdewn1ic68wy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2010
    20100610-fdmt5632ntsbc2bdewn1ic68wy.jpg

WOW! Amazing difference! I will make the changes this weekend. Thank you for showing me your curves (that sounds inappropriate... rolleyes1.gif) and thank you for your time on this photo, Marc! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    20100909-p4h7985xin16bxggd38cu36itr.jpg

I really like what you have done here!

Some of the fundamental rules of photography have been broken here, especially post processing rules..... but it worksthumb.gifthumb

What I am thrilled about here is the mystery. Most of the time radical post processing can get in the way of the image makers message but I feel it is enhancing the visuals and story.

Ok, now I must ask. Did you intend to convey mystery or something similar, or just get lucky with a series of random filters? Please dont take my question too personal I simply like to have some funwings.gif
  • Options
    OobersOobers Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    Thank you so much for the kind comments. This was taken one morning on our east coast. Someone had left a 'tripod' of drift wood on the beach and I was attracted to it as a foreground. I also liked the water on the beach left by the rain the night before. The stranger walking was the iceing on the cake, and a happy coincidence. I wanted to get a feeling, rather than mystery. The feeling of texture, bleached out, gritty sand sun and sea type of thing with a remainder of colour, if that makes any sense to you at all. It sat on my computer for weeks with me playing around trying this and that because fundamentally I liked the composition. I am not sure if I haven't overdone it though, maybe a bit in the sky?
    The purists will hate it but I'm really pleased you like it.
    Guy
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2010
    Guy,

I must apologize for missing your reply.
    I am thrilled to hear you spent good time experimenting to work the image. I still think the feeling is mysterious :)
    What really makes the blown sky work, is that it appears to be a "super huge" sun!

Keep experimenting.
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2010
    20100927-dbsrrtcmygr2g6cpk9kx9y31ax.jpg

This is a perfectly split scene.
    The boulders on the left and the dead tree on the right.

I believe it works as a vertical.
    20100927-be12fmcrtuddxsecdn4dykp3x5.jpg

I would darken the boulders next!
  • Options
    Z6IZ6I Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    20100927-dbsrrtcmygr2g6cpk9kx9y31ax.jpg

This is a perfectly split scene.
    The boulders on the left and the dead tree on the right.

I believe it works as a vertical.
    20100927-be12fmcrtuddxsecdn4dykp3x5.jpg

I would darken the boulders next!

Thank you Marc. I really appreciate the advice.
    I have darkened the boulders as well as the background tree area. I worry though that I have taken it a bit too far.
    1025427156_jdNGN-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2010
    Z6I wrote: »
    Thank you Marc. I really appreciate the advice.
    I have darkened the boulders as well as the background tree area. I worry though that I have taken it a bit too far.

20100928-dtp1jsqgr7nbwqgc77bmnxf3mk.jpg

I agree your move is too far and additional edits will help.
    To create depth in an image I usually lower the contrast in the distant subject and increase it in the foreground subject. BUT, also make the foreground darker and background lighter.
    This means you need to make two changes to both regions,
    - darker and + contrast to FG blue circle area
    - lighter and - contrast to BG yellow arrow

I normally do this in curves so that both contrast and luminance can be made simultaneously. Let me know if you would like an example.