• Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    520128806_PEtJN-M.jpg

Great light
    Great subject
    Great exposure and post production
    Good composition

First glance, I really like this image. Upon closer study I cant help but wonder what all that steam might look like near the sun and up higher in the sky?

You have framed it well with the main geyser off center and closest to the bright of the sky, creating a nice first read of itwings.gif However, having been in similar situations with steam and fog swirling, the additional blue of the sky up high might have added an expanded color palette to this scene, also by making this portrait the snow bank in the FG might add even more additional texture?

By any chance do you have other exposures with more sky? If so please post em.
  • Options
    Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Wow Marc!
    Thank you so much for reviewing my photo; it is such an honor. I found one other photo from that particular shoot.
    2171129648_9210dd1261_o.jpg
    I have photos of Castle from other times.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    This is better.

I cropped a bit off the bottom and right.

20090616-c9mes2i8qhushpafc1y98d2x6y.jpg

Now I can see the blue sky and more steamwings.gif I think the snow in the FG has better form.

compare with

20090616-cpjgiea74axekxg1xrpmdmpfqy.jpg

This is great that you shot in vertical and horizontal. Now as you see them together your eye can begin to understand what becomes a quicker read.
    As I compare the two, I also notice a bit more contrast in the vertical, even in the geyser but mostly in the FG.
    I prefer the fog and less contrast of the horizontal, at least around the geyser, but prefer the FG with the contrast of the vertical.
    For this reason as well as the nice column of steam in the horizontal I still believe that the optimal image would be a vertical with the FG of it and the BG of the horizontalwings.gif

Now, do you have one of those:D

Great imagesthumb.gif

• Options
    Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    I was taught in my very first photography class when I was a kid that my camera had more than one angle (horizontal AND vertical). The only other shot from that particular shoot that I kept is a horizontal like the vertical shot.
    Thank you so much for the advice bowdown.gif

Kristine

P.S. Love the new site; gorgeous photos.
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    546219660_77yKf-M.jpg

This is very mysterious. The mood is wonderfulthumb.gif

I am intrigued to look at this image long enough to figure it out, but like a closed gas station in the middle of the desert there is nothing to keep me around.

The stars are wonderful.
    The exposure is fine.

It appears to be a bit noisy and light is creeping in from the source on the right, maybe there is a way to flag the lens during the exposure?
    The POV is too low, hiding what could be valuable information in front of the distant rocks.
    The horizon is dividing the composition.

Is this a swimming pool overlooking the ocean?
    If it is a swimming pool why is the edge so very rough?
    What is the light from on the distant rocks?
    I am very curious to know what is going on. Can you get back to this location?

Overall, interesting imagewings.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    546228597_CV9eT-M.jpg

This image is so interesting.

The processing is good
    The exposure is good
    The colors are good
    The contrast is good

I really want to know, Why did you leave that horizontal branch through the middle of the composition?

The path is definitely the subject but has not been treated as though. Maybe you have a vertical of this scene?
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    542083020_raFJ9-L.jpg

Great exposure, and I'm not only talking about the camera exposure:D
    Composition is GREAT

Color cast is too blue
    Blacks are a tad blocked up in FG

This is a great image showing the steeps and the distant peak at dawn
    I know how difficult it can be in situations like this to get the camera out of the pack, well worth it thoughthumb.gif
    It is a bit tricky to get a full sense of the scale with no reference in the FG.
    To compensate for the intense blue cast we used to use UV filters for high altitude photography back in the day, but now a quick adjustment of the slider in Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom would do the trick to warm things up. In particular the color balance slider!

This looks like a very fun route and the conditions look ideal. I did Liberty Ridge years ago and dropped one leg through a thinning crevasse. Glad I had a pack on to distribute the weight and not break through:whew
    This image brings those memories back.

If you are able please re-post without the blue cast.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    560678537_5RHUY-M.jpg

Good HDR on the building
    Color is good, not over saturated
    Point of view is good, the top of the building breaking up the skyline helps

The sky has too much contrast and looks a bit like a scene from "Close Encounters" decreasing potential depth.

Assuming you ran the bracketed exp through Photomatix or CS4 to compile your HDR, and the adverse effect of these methods is always the highlights, I would recommend dropping a sky in from the normal exposure. This does require some knowledge of manual masking in Photoshop though. If you dont have the program or ability, I would suggest looking into methods for manual masking and layering files in Photoshop. This will allow you the ability to combine certain manual overrides to the auto HDR results. The sky can be dark but..... with less contrast.

Regarding your composition, the tree on the far right should not be against the edge. Might you have a composition with more space on the right? I am thinking this would bring the tree in and create some depth with more perspective.

Regarding luminance, since you have gone with a certain look by using the HDR technique you could also add some graduale difference between the contrast and brightness of the large building and the distant smaller buildings. This could guide the viewer through the imagedeal.gif

If you are interested I will make some corrections to this file and post with directions!
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2009
    Back from vacation and time to go to schoolwings.gif

I did not hear back from the last few in the previous gallery so I am moving on to the 4th round.

I would like to take the moment to let all of you know how fantastic your images are. The bar has been set higher and the variety is incredible, keep it upthumb.gif

20090804-pchcqu2rhncq8fh9i883jcxkra.jpg

Great sunstar
    Incredible location
    Good exposure

Needs cloudsdeal.gif

I would like to crop the bottom off like this,
    20090804-8863yd9s93wcuyhqm9cyj7y7yt.jpg

However, I think the hole in the middle is just to big. There are several ways I am guessing this could be improved, clouds, tilt the camera to get the sunstar in the lower left corner, change the composition to include some branches in the FG. I think this is worth some time if you can get backdeal.gif

8570317_wuSfN#565595286_2kggA-A-LB
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    This is one of the few photographs of mine I truly love, thank you in helping me see how to improve it! Excellent point on composing the star to the lower left corner, why didnt I think of that?... oh, ya I remember...cuz I have no idea what im doing! (Laughing.gif)

Thanks for the advice! And yes, I will be back there this Sept with a rented 14mm 2.8, (Im so close to Zion but yet still so far away!) anyway, I dont know how much wider that 14mm will be over this 16mm image, and I dont know what the star will even look like compared to the 16mm. so stay tuned for updates...
    (Oh, and cross-fingers for clouds!)

I will also return there in Oct. and again I will rent a super-wide lens depending on how I like the 16mm to the 14mm.....

after this all gets figured out maybe I can tackle a night shot of this comp..
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2009
    for clouds!)

I will also return there in Oct. and again I will rent a super-wide lens depending on how I like the 16mm to the 14mm.....

after this all gets figured out maybe I can tackle a night shot of this comp..

Farm itdeal.gif

Take as many different images as you can throughout the entire day, working the different light, lenses and clouds if possible. Dont forget to take some brackets for possible HDRs too. Oh, and if you decide to stay for the stars, bring a large flash light for lighting up the canyon walls.

BTW, is this in the upper grotto?
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    farm it! will do!

was standing right near the waterfall base of the upper Emerald pools (which was running dry this day.)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2009
    20090806-q1iugb2smue9crma6a9fgwfyqe.jpg

Wonderful composition
    Well processed
    Interesting subject

I think its a tad too yellow and the top of the trees are to dark. This may be from a split ND filter or just a photoshop mask. I dont mind the trees in the distance being so dark but the large tree in the FG should be as light on the top of the trunk as it is at the bottom.

Did you use a split ND?

Also, there appears to be some fringing around the leaves against the sky. This usually occurs from programs like Photomatix but can occur in single image files because of ghosting.

I would like to see the path at the bottom left a bit darker as well, in hopes of bringing more attention to the broken section of the wall.

If your interested I can show you a way to bring out some of the detail in the top of the trunk, even it this is the only exposure.

Intersting imagethumb.gif
  • Options
    OobersOobers Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Intersting imagethumb.gif[/quote]
    First of all thank you for choosing one of mine for comment, I am well thrilledwings.gif and yes I did use a nd grad. The fringing was horrible when I tried to sharpen the image initially, so I used Ron Bigalow's method as posted on his site which helped some. I've just looked at the raw file and it's there :cry. Why would that be and how can I avoid it in the future? Finally, yes please show me how to bring out more detail.

Guy
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    Lets do this in two steps.

1. Fringing
    2. Tree trunk

Can you post a small section of the image containing the leaves against the white sky at 100%. I will need that to work on in Adobe Camera Raw.
    A jpeg version is fine to get the point across.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    Here is a section of the leaves
    Fringing.jpg
    and oddly enough the fringing is not as visible as it is on ps.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2009
    Oobers wrote:
    Here is a section of the leaves
    Fringing.jpg
    and oddly enough the fringing is not as visible as it is on ps.
    I believe the apparent fringing is from over sharpening for the web. When images are downsized and sharpened it is way too simple to create edges that end up looking like fringing in areas with high contrast.

Because the leaves are not sharp in your original, the only way to add sharpening is by increasing the radius thus making the contoured lines even larger.

Since you have a version of the file saved without the sharpening, try another method.

First downsize the file to the same size as your first file posted.
    Then convert to sRGB if need be.
    You may also need to convert from 16bit to 8 bit.
    Now duplicate the background by typing "comd + j" for Mac or using the icon at the bottom of the layers palette.
    With this new layer highlighted go to "Filter" menu and choose sharpen and sharpen.
    Now that the sharpening is on a separate layer you can adj the opacity or even mask out sections that have been over sharpened.

This should not take more than 30 seconds, once you repeat it several times.

When viewing your web sharpened file make sure it is at size. Toggle the layer on and off to get the compared visual.

Post one the same size as your first one posted here and we can compare.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2009
    That is a nice and simple way to sharpen.
    Broughton 1 Muench.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2009
    Yes it is quick and works well.

However, I'm not sure what else happened to your file
    20090811-c1erhew27b5mkxb4kxwdrddwa1.jpg

It looks as though a couple other things changed too.

It also looks as though you have more detail in the top of the large trunk in this version. Can you post a 800 pixel jpeg version of the file with no changes? I will use it to demonstrate the masking needed to bring out the tree trunk.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2009
    It looks as though a couple other things changed too.

It also looks as though you have more detail in the top of the large trunk in this version. Can you post a 800 pixel jpeg version of the file with no changes? I will use it to demonstrate the masking needed to bring out the tree trunk.[/quote]
    Sorry about that, I used the RAW file. Here is the original.

Path 2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2009
    No worries!

It looks like I will need the RAW file to make this look good. If you are willing, try this link to get me your file and use the address marc@muenchworkshops.com email for me.

If not no worries, I will demonstrate all the steps to select the trunk and lighten with this file. However, it turns out like this:cry because of the compressed file I am working with. That green section is not the maskdeal.gif
    20090812-k88e35m5g9i5ar3fimb6t4mwe3.jpg

Cheers
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2009
    The RAW file has been sent. It is an Olympus Raw File.
    Many thanks

Guy
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    I will do this in two posts because of the number of steps.

This will be about what I do in ACR and the next will be photoshop.
    The file actually has quite a bit of detail in the shadows and is a good exposurethumb.gif

Here is the file as it appears in ACR unedited.
    20090813-x1ty5s6b66dtr6riafawrqxa99.jpg

About the exposure settings:
    If your on a tripod, shoot at the optimal sharp point of the lens. This is usually two stops down from wide open. This applies when you dont need maximum depth of field such as F.16 or more, which appears to be the case here.
    Change the ISO to 100 and take a longer shutter speed.

Here is what I would change in ACR. Keep in mind I am trying to match the color and contrast you have created in your posted version.
    20090813-59h72w2yy42h3if3qa157cgmj.jpg

I changed the color temp, exp, recovery, fill light, blks, clarity and vib sliders.
    There is no way to retain all the highlight exp so I only under exp it by half a stop/-.55
    The rec slider will help include a bit of detail in the areas around the leaves, making a slightly smoother highlight transition into the darker tones.

The next change in ACR is in the Lens correction tab.
    Here is a enlargement at 300% to show you the before and after.
    20090813-pijjyk1pma9fsuatbyauhnnpea.jpg

after changes
    20090813-xs1a5patsycgymap3tr2b4gpy3.jpg
    I believe this will make a big difference when we sharpen laterdeal.gif

The remaining changes can be made in PS, which will be in my next post.

So far the file looks good for 400 ISO and there is actually minimal chromatic abortions compared to many wide angle lenses I have seen. This looks like a good camerawings.gif
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    I am following you up to this point. What did you do to the settings in the Lens Correction Tab, as they look the same?

The next change in ACR is in the Lens correction tab.
    Here is a enlargement at 300% to show you the before and after.
    20090813-pijjyk1pma9fsuatbyauhnnpea.jpg

after changes
    20090813-xs1a5patsycgymap3tr2b4gpy3.jpg
    I believe this will make a big difference when we sharpen laterdeal.gif

The remaining changes can be made in PS, which will be in my next post.

So far the file looks good for 400 ISO and there is actually minimal chromatic abortions compared to many wide angle lenses I have seen. This looks like a good camerawings.gif[/quote]
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    Oobers wrote:
    I am following you up to this point. What did you do to the settings in the Lens Correction Tab, as they look the same?

Sorry about that. Once I made the changes shown below, I only clicked the preview on in the 2nd graphic.

20090813-ffqi2prihgf7gjx9mh6ka83i62.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    Part 2

Once all the sliders are complete in ACR click open image.

Here is the comparison following the different settings I used in ACR. The new version is on the right.

20090814-kf7nfegey98f7kwyi6hujgbmib.jpg

After comparing the two I have made a decision to add contrast first. This is normally my first step when working an image in PS.

Because I want to achieve a very similar look to your original but only retain more detail in the FG tree trunk I will add contrast to the entire image, than subtract that contrast from the FG tree trunk.

I used a curves adj layer to add more contrast.
    20090814-1dgngnk2ffcd1w3aj8akwhn976.jpg

Now I want to remove some of this edit in certain areas that became too dark. Because I made a adj layer which contains a mask, I can easily remove part or all of the curves edit by painting away the layer in the mask.

First I select the mask in the adj layer. This is the white rectangle just right of the layer icon.
    Then I choose a brush and begin painting away the layer in those areas.
    You must make sure that you are painting away the mask by choosing the FG color which is blk in this case. Then I like to make the opacity of the brush 50% and make multiple strokes. Also, I alter the diameter of the brush with the [ ] bracket keys, making it smaller for the smaller limbs in the tree.
    Here is what the painted mask looks like.
    20090814-f7wxhg7cunur8gt6rsfpc7431a.jpg

You can now see more contrast in most of the image but nice shadow detail in the areas masked.

The next step is to adj the contrast in the FG stone wall a bit.
    To make this move I will enter quick mask first and paint a section I think needs more contrast then make the curves adj.

I click the letter Q to enter quick mask.
    Then I click the letter B to select the brush tool.
    Then I click the bracket keys [ ] to make the right size brush.
    I also make sure the brush is 0% hard meaning as soft as can be. This makes a gradation all the way to the center of the brush.
    Here is what the quick mask looks like
    20090814-tk845air9cum5e5a41cqc6ddhe.jpg

Regarding the quick mask tool, I always use these settings
    20090814-mwfumuxfc3yp16ngi5cqdfrx3s.jpg
    This is found by double clicking the quick mask button on the tool palette.

Once the chosen area is complete and still red, I then click Q again to leave quick mask.
    There will be crawling ants as Adobe calls them, around the masked area. With this selection active, I then create a curves adj layer. I usually click on the symbal at the bottom of the curves palette and choose curves.
    Here is the change I made in the curves palette.
    20090814-rhx5q557aqb5mud8ji76ia7fr2.jpg

Ok, only two more moveswings.gif

First, I need to make a selection of the top of the tree trunk to make it equal luminance equal bottom to top, which is the very reason we are doing all this:ivar

For this selection I will use the quick select tool by choosing the letter W.
    There is a method to use this tool.
    First, the diameter can be altered by using the bracket keys as well []
    Second, the diameter effects the sensitivity of the tool
    Third, by holding down the opt key the tool subtracts from the selection.

I enlarge the file to see the trunk better and begin dragging the tool over the area to select.
    There are areas of the leaves selected, so I have to subtract those regions to get my selection like this.
    20090814-81fkwxh6x6n78fhyhuedsf9x9w.jpg

Now that I have a hard edge along the trunk, I need to gradate or soften the edge in the middle of the trunk.
    For this step I change the selection into a quick mask by clicking on Q which enters quick mask.
    The selection should look like this.
    20090814-chasewwct597e1wrxhg66xdx4s.jpg

Now I choose the brush tool by typing B and make the diameter match the size of the trunk by using the bracket keys.
    Because I want to gradate the line in the middle of the trunk I will need to paint on the FG and the BG off and on. I use the X key to switch between FG and BG.
    I needed to change the opacity of the brush to 20% to make the fine gradation.
    Here is what the mask looks like following the gradation.
    20090814-nftx854bh6yqr7ijc11c3g6jsk.jpg

Next I click Q to exit quick mask
    Then I choose the symbol at the bottom of the layers palette to create a curves adj layer
    Here is what change I made in the curves palette.
    Notice, I took the Blue channel down adding Yellow and added a tad of Red. This was done in addition to lightening to match colors of the bottom of the trunk.

Here is the change
    20090814-msertdwdgtxp148a937fqrxb46.jpg

Here is what your layers palette should look like.
    20090814-kghhjqhir5rj4agqxwf2wp2cj4.jpg

Ok, now the last changewings.gif
    The color

For this move I chose to use a Hue and Sat adj layer. Because the greens were to cyan and the colors needed a bit more sat this tool makes those two changes very easy.

First I chose the Yellow channel because greens are mostly Yellow.
    Then I moved the Hue of the Yellow channel to the left making them warmer.
    Last I bumped up the sat.

Here is the final side by side with the hue and sat change.
    20090814-1x6rcgees9adet89jh26d4qt23.jpg

There is one more change I would like to make, but for that I will make a third post which will demonstrate the power of adj layers and masks.

I also understand there are many moves here so please let me know if you have trouble and I hope to correct any missed details.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    Wow thank you, a master class indeed. There is a lot in there I will have to practice and experiment with. I have followed your instructions and the image is a whole lot better than my effort. One thing I noticed however is that I don't have "defringe all edges' in ACR, probably because I have ACR4. As a result I have retained some of the purple fringing. Looking forward to the final steps thumb.gif.
    Guy
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    Your correct, you must spring for CS4 to get the latest ACR:cry

Last stepclap.gif

I noticed that the large tree limb protruding from the FG trunk is as dark as the trunk used to be. I would like to match the luminosity of that limb to the trunk, otherwise is looks kinda weird. This will be very simple because I still have all the adj layers.

First I need to click on the layer with the trunk mask and make sure I highlight the rectangle within the mask as shown here.
    20090815-njp89ttirfnjmp5u1u9uh7k5bu.jpg

With this highlighted I choose the brush tool.
    Then I make the diameter of the brush smaller than the limb.
    Then I like to make the opacity about 30% and use multiple strokes until I get the luminosity that I like.
    Make sure when you are painting on a mask within a adj layer that you realize whether or not you are adding or subtracting the layer by pressing the X key on and off, which alters FG to BG.

Here is the limb after the change.
    20090815-8fa2b68tw42m4iwpbg6cmkju93.jpg

I made a Yellow arrow showing the change to the mask.
    Dont forget the power of these layers and masks are that you can add and subtract until you get it rightdeal.gif

One last tip, If you think the adj you made in your curves palette is too sever, just change the opacity of the entire layer.
    I actually thought it looked better at 80% which is what I did here for the final

For this final, I did all my normal internet moves.
    flatten the layers, size down to 800pix wide, copy BG layer and sharpen (for this image -changed opacity of sharpen layer to 50%), conv to sRGB profile, change to 8bit, save as jpeg.

Here you go!
    620755492_F8ucH-L.jpg

What you now have is a image taken with a split ND to darken the sky and then a mask to undo the density in the tree trunk only. A hybridwings.gif It may seam like many steps but it sure does beat etching that shape out of your ND grad filtereek7.gif
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    Your correct, you must spring for CS4 to get the latest ACR:cry

It may seam like many steps but it sure does beat etching that shape out of your ND grad filtereek7.gif
    rolleyes1.gif. Thanks again for the instruction.
    Guy
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    20090818-g9ny12bq55qmdsk8r3tnaiy9rp.jpg

Nice point of view
    Good dappled light on the center green hillsthumb.gif

The colors are too saturated
    The contrast should be reduced in the distance to show depth

As much as I like the depth in this composition, I believe it could be betterwings.gif

First I would crop some of the plowed field like so,
    20090818-8uedrxq42kkntn4jp21k2btrc.jpg

Next I would darken the plowed region with a mask.
    If you took another with more sky that might work even better.