Options

Muench University

Comments

• Options
    doctorsoupdoctorsoup Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    Marc, this was indeed morning fog with the sun rising on the Oregon coast over a ridge. I added an orange filter for effect. I have some other compositions, but probably would have to insert something to make for a more interesting foreground.

270977875_Rsv8V-M.jpg

This is a great effectthumb.gif

However, I think it should be the background of something else.
    The exposure , focus , color and composition are all superb. This looks like fog over a ridge of trees? If so, I am thinking that there may have been a more emcompassing composition which would include more environment around the sunburst. Do you have other compositions?
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2010
    Marc, thanks for the critque, I agree and will work on this image per your recommendations. It's practically in my back yard and peak fall color is just around the corner here so another opportunity to try again. I am sorry for the delayed replies, have been away from this forum for quite awhile. My loss! :D
    270973795_xUAq4-S.jpg

Lower falls

I don't like the waterfall in the center of the composition
    The light is flat which makes the scene two dimensional
    I like the colors and long exposure

I think this image is interesting only because of the colors. Had a more dynamic composition been used or light striking the falls and not the trees in the FG, maybe there would be more interest. I would mask the yellow trees and darken them with the intension of creating depth. By leaving the waterfall lighter it would appear further away. I would also crop this image into a square taking away from the left side only.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    doctorsoup wrote: »
    Marc, thanks for the critque, I agree and will work on this image per your recommendations. It's practically in my back yard and peak fall color is just around the corner here so another opportunity to try again. I am sorry for the delayed replies, have been away from this forum for quite awhile. My loss! :D

Back yardwings.gif
    Any luck yet?
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2010
    20101102-r1aiprm31bj1kaykf1p6n6knay.jpg

I like this composition for two reasons.
    The colors contrast each other and the angle forces the flower up into the dramatic sky.
    Regarding the post processing.....
    This is what I would call "heavy handed"
    Try lowering the contrast and lightening the sky overall. I think it would be well worth the effortthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    Back yardwings.gif
    Any luck yet?

Marc, we've had a wierd fall here -- the color was late, and in some places (e.g. Silver Falls) it never did get very good.
    This is another one from the same shoot in 2007 -- but a different comp.

1074628614_xkU2B-L.jpg
  • Options
    LascauxLascaux Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    20101102-r1aiprm31bj1kaykf1p6n6knay.jpg

I like this composition for two reasons.
    The colors contrast each other and the angle forces the flower up into the dramatic sky.
    Regarding the post processing.....
    This is what I would call "heavy handed"
    Try lowering the contrast and lightening the sky overall. I think it would be well worth the effortthumb.gif

Marc, thanks for the input I'll give it a try tomorrow, or if I can't get to it then after I get back from Yosemite.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2010
    doctorsoup wrote: »
    but a different comp.

1074628614_xkU2B-L.jpg

This is much betterthumb.gif

I would even crop a bit more to force the top of the waterfall into the corner, taking FULL advantage of the entire frame.
    20101105-x1r8gknepbub3enrykr1f582mw.jpg

Not entirely necessary as I am thrilled with how much better this second version looksclap.gifclap
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2010
    I agree that this crop is much better -- simplifies and strengthens the comp. Thanks Marc!
    This is much betterthumb.gif

I would even crop a bit more to force the top of the waterfall into the corner, taking FULL advantage of the entire frame.
    20101105-x1r8gknepbub3enrykr1f582mw.jpg

Not entirely necessary as I am thrilled with how much better this second version looksclap.gifclap
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2010
    20101124-ktpusnbmiccprsxujj3frufsrh.jpg

I am intrigued by this image

It seams to be a bit too light though.
    I like the space to the left of the dead trees, leaving good compositional space to let the eye wonder into "nothingness". In fact, more space might work better if that is the goal.
    The horizon is not straight, which can work if there is a purpose. I don't think there is one here though!
  • Options
    Z6IZ6I Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    20100928-dtp1jsqgr7nbwqgc77bmnxf3mk.jpg

I agree your move is too far and additional edits will help.
    To create depth in an image I usually lower the contrast in the distant subject and increase it in the foreground subject. BUT, also make the foreground darker and background lighter.
    This means you need to make two changes to both regions,
    - darker and + contrast to FG blue circle area
    - lighter and - contrast to BG yellow arrow

I normally do this in curves so that both contrast and luminance can be made simultaneously. Let me know if you would like an example.

It's been a while but I'm back to this image. Thanks again Marc for your time.
    How is this?
    1122324427_JVHAd-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2010
    It's been a while but I'm back to this image. Thanks again Marc for your time.
    How is this?

Roger

Looks like some others like it as wellmwink.gif

Good to see you found the time to work the image. I often improve old images with new knowledge. I also must commend you on subtle moves rather than overdone so called "heavy handed" ones.

I do believe contrast is more important than color.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2011
    20110121-baxetp61689y35p8s4qn5dd524.jpg

Great composition.
    Great colors.
    The blowing sand is interesting and makes the image. The problem is it is not as noticeable as it could be.
    How are your post production skills?
    I would mask the sky and darken/add contrast.
    I would darken entire image. Finally, if you have made an adjustment layer to darken the entire image, you could brush away some to brighten around blowing sand.

If none of this makes sense I can demonstrate!

Cheers

photography-reviews-how-to-and-galleries-of-digital-grin
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2011
    20110313-1gq6wrhmkfncy1cmiy2y9x5kec.jpg

This is intriguing!
    The light is quite excellent.
    The composition is great.
    All above lends itself to the subject. I am thrilled with this execution!

Improvements: I would darken the clouds a bit and lighten the tepee. This could be done with the gradient tool in LR or ACR.

BTW, it looks as though it was taken near Ventura or Ojai?
  • Options
    PhotolunaPhotoluna Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 13, 2011
    20110313-1gq6wrhmkfncy1cmiy2y9x5kec.jpg

This is intriguing!
    The light is quite excellent.
    The composition is great.
    All above lends itself to the subject. I am thrilled with this execution!

Improvements: I would darken the clouds a bit and lighten the tepee. This could be done with the gradient tool in LR or ACR.

BTW, it looks as though it was taken near Ventura or Ojai?

Thanks Marc, it's a priviledge to have you comment on one of my photos. I got into Pgotography because of you and your fathers photography. It inspired me to take the best landscapes I could find. You're right, this image is near Ojai on sulpher Mountain with a view of the Topa mountains. My girlfriend and I have lived here in this Tepee for about a year and a half. I have star trail shots with the Tee Pee as well. I'll try to make those changes you suggested. Thanks Again.
    Matt
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    20110315-rf61hf9wd2pxsy6h46unp2r4cn.jpg

This is well executed!

The timing of the sun sinking just into the clouds works.
    The high thin clouds are perfect.
    The colors look real, although notice the green/yellow in the reflection and not in the sky! Don't really know if this is caused by a contrast mask in the sky only or something else? Of course it could have been there?

One small issue is that the rocks are too far apart. I am considering that if you had walked to your right it would have brought them together making it a bit more cozy?
    The only other issue is that the rocks are distorted from the camera angle. This is not a big deal but only something I bring your attention to as it is correctable in Photoshop. Or, you could use a tilt/shift lens, or start shooting with a 4x5 field camera:D

Great shot thanks for sharingthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2011
    20110420-ckhmhxu7mfm3ffnc322qiw74t3.jpg

Great drama!

I like the aspect ratio and composition.
    I would like to see more on the bottom that may explain a bit more of what we are looking at?

The image is well processed.
    I would like to see a bit more detail in the blacks. However, if too much the overall feel might be lost?

I do like the small birdthumb.gif this explains much and even though tiny makes a significant diff.
  • Options
    SherwinJamesSherwinJames Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    20110420-ckhmhxu7mfm3ffnc322qiw74t3.jpg

Great drama!

I like the aspect ratio and composition.
    I would like to see more on the bottom that may explain a bit more of what we are looking at?

The image is well processed.
    I would like to see a bit more detail in the blacks. However, if too much the overall feel might be lost?

I do like the small birdthumb.gif this explains much and even though tiny makes a significant diff.

Marc, thanks for the input.
    Let me see what I can do with editing to address your points.

BTW, a key concept I was going for here was power, hence the strong contrast.

Sherwin
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2011
    Marc, thanks for the input.
    Let me see what I can do with editing to address your points.

BTW, a key concept I was going for here was power, hence the strong contrast.

Sherwin

Updated photo attached:
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2011
    Now I see!

It appears to me that the breakwater columns are smaller when you see all of them.
    I think you had made a great choice leaving out the bottom.

I would like to see regions of both of these mixed. The first version has more contrast but also more detail due to sharpening or something else you have done? I would consider using the effect on the first one in certain regions such as the very center and majority of the wave splash. Then let the edges including far right and left stay softer as in the second version. Also, make sure you keep the bird as it was in the first version, sharper!

If you have both versions saved and they are the same file/resolution, you could open them as layers in PS, make a mask on the top layer and begin painting away the parts you want to merge. Let me know if this does not make sense and I can illustrate.

Best
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2011
    Now I see!

It appears to me that the breakwater columns are smaller when you see all of them.
    I think you had made a great choice leaving out the bottom.

I would like to see regions of both of these mixed. The first version has more contrast but also more detail due to sharpening or something else you have done? I would consider using the effect on the first one in certain regions such as the very center and majority of the wave splash. Then let the edges including far right and left stay softer as in the second version. Also, make sure you keep the bird as it was in the first version, sharper!

If you have both versions saved and they are the same file/resolution, you could open them as layers in PS, make a mask on the top layer and begin painting away the parts you want to merge. Let me know if this does not make sense and I can illustrate.

Best

Makes perfect sense.

For some reason, the photo looks softer in the thread when I include it as an attachment (than it does on my PC).

I could do some selective sharpening/contrast in the center (and the bird).

Thanks.
    Sherwin
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    Makes perfect sense.

For some reason, the photo looks softer in the thread when I include it as an attachment (than it does on my PC).

I could do some selective sharpening/contrast in the center (and the bird).

Thanks.
    Sherwin

If at all possible avoid attaching. It's pretty brutal on images. You're better off embedding. See the link in my signature if you need more information on that. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    20110506-jubcnccudpiejq488eqw5gwc2i.jpg

Just how big is this?

Really like the surreal quality of this shot
    Soft light helps
    Very nicely post processed. There appears to be a glow in the center of the scene which creates depth and a nice touch

I wish the power pole were not included
    It can certainly be removed...... or maybe you had another where you stepped to the left. I think it detracts from the surreal quality of the picture by bringing something ordinary in.

BTW, just how large is this buoy?
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2011
    20110506-jubcnccudpiejq488eqw5gwc2i.jpg

Just how big is this?

Really like the surreal quality of this shot
    Soft light helps
    Very nicely post processed. There appears to be a glow in the center of the scene which creates depth and a nice touch

I wish the power pole were not included
    It can certainly be removed...... or maybe you had another where you stepped to the left. I think it detracts from the surreal quality of the picture by bringing something ordinary in.

BTW, just how large is this buoy?

It is probably about a yard long (maybe a little longer). The crop and wide angle lense also adds to its magnitude.

I purposely kept the power pole in the shot to provide some scale and make it the whole shot "believable". The theme was "look what I found on the beach". But I can also see your point about distracting from the surreal.

Sherwin
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    Sherwin,

Good to hear you thought through all this and once again, well donethumb.gif
    This might make a good series to work on over time.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2011
    20110622-b16q32h8u5dtwuadpectx4ffsh.jpg

This looks like San Gorgonio area!

The exposure is perfect
    The time of day is great
    The trees are exquisite

But, the framing is loose and takes away from the subject.

Here is the crop I think helps focus our eyes on the relationship between the trees and purple mountains. I made sure to leave in enough of the pink sky above the incoming or outgoing night.

20110622-bkauapwnp451c8qwwptbwdqw1c.jpg

Please let me know if you have reasons for your original framing and also if this is really where I think it is!
    Great workthumb.gif
  • Options
    Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    Thanks Marc for choosing the image. I know i can make it better but never thought of just cropping it would make it even better. I agree with you and thanks for the crit. The only reason why i cropped it that way is to include as much trees as possible just to let the viewers know that i am at high altitude. I know that those type of trees grow only at certain elevation that is why maybe i loosely framed it.

There's one question i have in mind but i hope this is still covered in this thread. I used a handheld light meter and spot it on the blue horizon, when transferring the reading from a lightmeter do i need to make my camera's metering into spot metering as well?

Thank you
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2011
    Mathieu05 wrote: »

There's one question i have in mind but i hope this is still covered in this thread. I used a handheld light meter and spot it on the blue horizon, when transferring the reading from a lightmeter do i need to make my camera's metering into spot metering as well?

Thank you

No, as the cameras light-meter will become irrelevant when using your hand held. Once you establish the aperture and shutter speed on your hand held, place the camera in Manual mode, and simply plug in the settings that the hand held gives you. Just make sure you have the ISO set the same!
    However, I believe the best method is to utilize the built in camera meter set to evaluative. Then take a picture and read the histogram. The histogram will show you if the exposure is too light or dark. This method will make your bag a tad lightermwink.gif
  • Options
    Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2011
    Thank you Marc. You've been a big help. :)
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2011
    20110711-pcn8d97m88qec1dfa57t3qsgmn.jpg

Incredible subjectthumb.gif
    Any chance you could return to this pier? Maybe some evening or morning soft misty lightne_nau.gif

Also, If you do have the opportunity, consider photographing the end piece all by its lonesome. I would leave much space around it except for the left of course.

Have fun
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    Any chance you could return to this pier? Maybe some evening or morning soft misty lightne_nau.gif

Also, If you do have the opportunity, consider photographing the end piece all by its lonesome. I would leave much space around it except for the left of course.

Have fun

I sure hope so! The outer banks is a lot of fun and only 6 hours drive... so I really hope to be back. I didn't find this pier until late morning of the last full day in our trip - and then caught the sunset over the bay.

I hadn't thought of trying for the end piece all by itself. I think with my longest lens and a ways down the beach I could probably get a better vantage point. Here are two (massive) crops that show the end by its lonesome. I sort of think it lends itself to the vertical, unless it would have more visual impact standing alone and having an expanse of sea out beyond it.

Horizontal:
    DSC7216-1-M.jpg

Vertical:
    DSC7216-2-L.jpg

Thanks for your comments Mark, and I'll try to return someday and see if I can get another shot for the next round (possibly a sunrise through the piles)