Lens Q?: 24-70L or Sigma 24-70 and Canon 100 Macro?

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Ziggy - what's your experience with dust on this lens?
    I've had mine for bit more than 1.5 years. I have just a couple of small dust specks inside the lens - nothing to write home about - and they definitely don't have any effect on the images.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    I've had mine for bit more than 1.5 years. I have just a couple of small dust specks inside the lens - nothing to write home about - and they definitely don't have any effect on the images.

Haha that's funny, I was just reading your comments about the 17-55 on here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=84545
    edited May 7, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Haha that's funny, I was just reading your comments about the 17-55 on here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=84545
    At least I'm consistent in my stories:D
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Evening Folks,
    If I remember correctly, dust inside the first element has no effect on IQ, since that area is used to gather the light. The last element is what is used for final focusing, and if any dust or debris is visible in that area, then that's where the specs would show up on an image.
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited May 7, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Ziggy - what's your experience with dust on this lens?

Nothing so far, but I haven't had the lens that long and mostly indoor stuff.

I am not at all worried about it.

The initial cost was my only concern, but the utility of the lens has met my needs and then some. I have no regrets and it is the right tool for my needs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 8, 2008
    Some follow up:

Pindy here on the forums has offered to trade me his 17-55 2.8 IS USM for my 24-105 f4/L IS USM.

Super excited :) We are proceeding with the trade. Will update when it gets here.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Agree with Ziggy
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I honestly think I would recommend the Tamron SP AF 28-75mm, f/2.8 XR Di LD over the Sigma 24-70mm, f2.8. Very nice lens overall.

In addition to the Canon EF 100mm, f/2.8 USM Macro, consider the Tamron SP 90mm, f/2.8 Di Macro.

I know I seem to be a Tamron salesman but these two are just really good values in lenses.

I absolutely love my Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Macro lens. You might notice that I left out the designator "Di" from the Tamron alphabet soup title of my lens.

Mine is the macro lens distributed by Tamron prior to the introduction of the "Di" model. The term "Di" designates this lens a being optimized for digital. Perhaps it is "optimized" but, I really cannot imagine any better image quality than I get with my "non-optimized" Tamron macro.

The image quality this lens produces is right up there with my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens and with my several "L" class lenses including the 24-70 f/2.8L and the 70-200mm f/4L IS.

I am sure that lens testing procedures might show an increase in quality between the non-Di and the Di designated lens but in real life shooting (as in the case of the 70-200mm f/4L IS and non-IS lenses) I cannot see any difference.

You can sometimes get very good bargains on the non-Di Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens. I got mine in mint condition from eBay for less than $125; including shipping.
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    I had the Sigma 24-70 and I switched it for the Tammy 28-75 f2.8 I don't miss the 4mm, and I am very happy I made the switch.

Trust me, if you are deciding between these, the Tammy is the one to get. ALSO think about weight and size. The Tammy is incredibly small compared to the other two.

I have also shot the 24-70L and I didn't see any differences so I'm glad I didn't waist the money.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Ah, but how quickly did the AF lock on? IMHO the cost of the L lens is not a waste if you need the performance, particularly in low light. That seemsot be the universl caveat of the Canon vs third-party lenses; Canon's USM motor is always commented upon as outperforming the competition.
  • LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Still can't decide
    Too many choices, I still can't decide what I want after all this.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    The life of a photographer. ne_nau.gif

lol3.gif

If you can't decide, LKN Dave, just rent them and try them all out!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited May 13, 2008
    LKN Dave wrote:
    Too many choices, I still can't decide what I want after all this.

Try not to choose what you want, rather choose what you need. If you don't know what you need, you need to define your goals which will dictate your needs.

What are your goals?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 13, 2008
    The life of a photographer. ne_nau.gif

lol3.gif

If you can't decide, LKN Dave, just rent them and try them all out!

Or trade after you get something so you don't have to spend more money. My trade from Pindy should be getting here tomorrow according to UPS!!! :)
    edited May 14, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Or trade after you get something so you don't have to spend more money. My trade from Pindy should be getting here tomorrow according to UPS!!! :)
    Not quite clear on the concept here - are you, maybe, a little excited about getting the 17-55?ne_nau.gifwink
    edited May 14, 2008
    Not quite clear on the concept here - are you, maybe, a little excited about getting the 17-55?ne_nau.gifwink

wings.gifivarclap.gif

just a little, lol

well that and if you can't rent, you can always trade, was my point

This is driving me bonkers while I wait lol:
    TRI-CITY,
    IN, US 05/14/2008 5:06 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
    edited May 14, 2008
    haha it will at your place by 5 pm!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    wings.gifivarclap.gif

just a little, lol

well that and if you can't rent, you can always trade, was my point

This is driving me bonkers while I wait lol:
    TRI-CITY,
    IN, US 05/14/2008 5:06 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
    So, question... How did you guys keep each other honest? What would have stopped him/you from not shipping, etc..? Just curious how your trading worked..

David
    edited May 14, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    So, question... How did you guys keep each other honest? What would have stopped him/you from not shipping, etc..? Just curious how your trading worked..

David

I'm the one who has to stay honest, he OFFERED to ship to me first and then after I get it let me ship to him. So my 24-105 is still here, and will be getting shipped promptly tomorrow...because...

the 17-55 came while I was on lunch and is in my hands now!!! iloveyou.gif

But yeah, I am honored to be trusted that he felt ok sending me his lens first. This is the first trade I've ever done.
    edited May 14, 2008
    Isn't the wait the worst part of buying a new lens online?? rolleyes1.gif

But now that you got it... time to go on a shooting spree!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited May 14, 2008
    Isn't the wait the worst part of buying a new lens online?? rolleyes1.gif

But now that you got it... time to go on a shooting spree!!

Yeah if only I wasn't stuck in my office, lol. So far my hand, really lame self portraits, and various things on my desk have been my test subjects. I can't wait to to go home tonight, throw my flash on it (I have the flash with me at the office, but it might attract attention if I light the whole room up when I'm supposed to be doing networking stuff....) and test it on my husband and our pets. I'm sooooo excited it's finally here.
    edited May 14, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I'm the one who has to stay honest, he OFFERED to ship to me first and then after I get it let me ship to him. So my 24-105 is still here, and will be getting shipped promptly tomorrow...because...

the 17-55 came while I was on lunch and is in my hands now!!! iloveyou.gif

But yeah, I am honored to be trusted that he felt ok sending me his lens first. This is the first trade I've ever done.
    Wow.. I'm impressed. So, now when you ship the 24-105mm, there's been a slight change to the shipping address.... Did you get the memo about that? He's now asked that you ship it care of him at my address. I'll PM you the details... mwink.gif

David
    edited May 14, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Wow.. I'm impressed. So, now when you ship the 24-105mm, there's been a slight change to the shipping address.... Did you get the memo about that? He's now asked that you ship it care of him at my address. I'll PM you the details... mwink.gif

David

lol, didn't you just get a 24-70 2.8/L?
    edited May 14, 2008
    Nah DrDavid's address has been rerouted to my address. kthnxbai!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited May 14, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    lol, didn't you just get a 24-70 2.8/L?
    You can never have too many lenses.. Laughing.gif

I hear phonebooks weigh about the same as lenses.. lol3.gif

Hey, Moogle... You ever get that 24-70mm 2.8L you offered to "check" for me to make sure it was sharp enough?

David
    edited May 14, 2008
    Actually yes...

Here is a pic that came from that test:

294158205_iDDJN-M.jpg

As you can tell, it's a pretty sharp copy. But I am not gonna send it back to you, tough luck!rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Lightrules at pbase has a quite extensive test:

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/2470exl

He also compares 24-70 with the tamron

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/exvdi

(he also has quite a bit of nice testing of gear other than this, recommended! )

(am I a bit late? ne_nau.gif ) :P
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
    edited May 14, 2008
    Actually yes...

Here is a pic that came from that test:
    I SO want to link this photo.... http://gallery.photo.net/photo/1192879-lg.jpg
    edited May 14, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:

Are you trying to imply something? mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    You know that picture would look a lot better in b & w, or w & b rolleyes1.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
    edited May 14, 2008
    Alright, here's my first human photo with the 17-55 f2.8 IS USM. (yes I used my 580EXII)

Introducing my husband, Joel:
    295488520_oxJZn-M.jpg

And here's an artsy no flash photo I took outside of some junk:
    295489186_q8fF6-M.jpg

Then to test out the speed I got a shot of my dogs playing (note the little one is in the air):
    295490875_wCdno-M.jpg

Testing out some macro and bokeh:
    295491943_AcAA9-M.jpg

clap.gifclapclap.gif Pindy is my hero.