Lens Q?: 24-70L or Sigma 24-70 and Canon 100 Macro?

Comments

• DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    headscratch.gif Dunno... Not sure it's sharp enough. Send it over to me, and I'll check it out vs. the 24-70mm 2.8L .. I'll let you know if it's good enough. Also, send the 24-105mm over here too and I'll check both of them for you against my 24-70mm!

David
    edited May 14, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Alright, here's my first human photo with the 17-55 f2.8 IS USM. (yes I used my 580EXII)
    And on the subject of the 580EXII... You need a Lightsphere (well, the cheap-o chinese ebay knockoffs of them (They're just a blob of plastic rolleyes1.gif). It makes a HUGE difference!

David
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    And on the subject of the 580EXII... You need a Lightsphere (well, the cheap-o chinese ebay knockoffs of them (They're just a blob of plastic rolleyes1.gif). It makes a HUGE difference!

David

Oh? Link and some more info on this would be appreciated.
    edited May 15, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    headscratch.gif Dunno... Not sure it's sharp enough. Send it over to me, and I'll check it out vs. the 24-70mm 2.8L .. I'll let you know if it's good enough. Also, send the 24-105mm over here too and I'll check both of them for you against my 24-70mm!

David

I let my husband take a shot of me with the camera:
    295510557_rDYaX-M.jpg

and a crop from that:
    295510012_ka4r7-M-2.jpg
    edited May 15, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I let my husband take a shot of me with the camera
    Yeah, I think I really have to have the lens in-hand to tell for sure.. lol3.gif

Looks good thumb.gif

Oh, cheap-o lightsphere... they're all over ebay.. Check out this link: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&catref=C6&from=R40&satitle=Lambency+580ex&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=

They call them Lambency 580ex flash diffusers. They're knock-off lightspheres. I paid $12.95 for mine; including shipping to the USA. Got it in about 5 days.

David
    edited May 15, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Yeah, I think I really have to have the lens in-hand to tell for sure.. lol3.gif

Looks good thumb.gif

Haha good luck getting it out of my hands!

EDIT: another "sharpness" photo-
    295558085_dCjnv-M.jpg

and the crop:
    295558164_M8bPT-M.jpg
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:

Looks good thumb.gif

Oh, cheap-o lightsphere... they're all over ebay.. Check out this link: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&catref=C6&from=R40&satitle=Lambency+580ex&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=

They call them Lambency 580ex flash diffusers. They're knock-off lightspheres. I paid $12.95 for mine; including shipping to the USA. Got it in about 5 days.

David
    Those look pretty cool - the inclusion of the colored lids really adds to the value. No, I'm not trying to be funny. You get to gel your flash without having to slow down and actually pull out a thin piece of plastic - just slap one of these lids in place and off you go.

The next question is, "What kind of color are you actually getting off these colored lids, and OBTW, how good is the clear part for not imparting a color cast?"
    edited May 15, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I let my husband take a shot of me with the camera:

and a crop from that:
    295510012_ka4r7-S-2.jpg
    It looks like we have another convert!!clap.gifbarb :ivar

Now to see how she likes it on a job. Will the focal range be enough to keep her happy? Tune in next week for ....

Seriously, I'm happy you seem to like the lens. Really looking forward to seeing what you do with your new toy .... err umm .... tool!
    edited May 15, 2008
    It looks like we have another convert!!clap.gifbarb :ivar

Now to see how she likes it on a job. Will the focal range be enough to keep her happy? Tune in next week for ....

Seriously, I'm happy you seem to like the lens. Really looking forward to seeing what you do with your new toy .... err umm .... tool!

Since my next wedding isn't until May 24th, I think that the testing my martial arts school is holding on this Saturday will be the first "big test" for this lens. Thankfully, being a black belt, I'm not promoting so I can take pictures :) Plus martial arts was one of the "non wedding" reasons I also wanted a faster close range lens... last time I had to use the 70-200 to get the shots I wanted but that was wayyyyyyyy to close.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Hopefully I will have something interesting to shoot this weekend so you can later decide to go with the 24-70 L later! :D

I really like the results you are getting with that 17-55... :wow
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited May 15, 2008
    Shima,

On the subject of the LightShere, while it can be useful in some instances, I greatly prefer the following two devices which are easy constructed and work really well:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    That is one sharp lens.....I might have to get me one of them......mwink.gif

They also have the cheapo whale tails on there as well with gels and what not. I ordered one we will see if they are any good and if we get wierd colors ....It was only like 22 bucks shipped.....The "name brand" sells for 80 I think.....

if you search on universal flash diffuser you will see them.....

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=universal+flash+diffuser+for+canon+580+ex&category0=
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
    edited May 15, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Shima,

On the subject of the LightShere, while it can be useful in some instances, I greatly prefer the following two devices which are easy constructed and work really well:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.

Hmm, much to consider. I'm going to sit on these and think it over. They seem to produce very nice results...

PS- smugmugger's get 12% off Gary Fong products such as lightsphere.

Does anyone have experience w/ the cheaper Lambency?
    edited May 15, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Hmm, much to consider. I'm going to sit on these and think it over. They seem to produce very nice results...

PS- smugmugger's get 12% off Gary Fong products such as lightsphere.

Does anyone have experience w/ the cheaper Lambency?
    Lambency works great. Most of my photos here: http://www.wolfsnap.com/weddings were done with it. It works great! No complaints at all.

David
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    I can recommend the Fong Lightsphere, works quite well.
    edited May 16, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    I can recommend the Fong Lightsphere, works quite well.

Cloud or clear one?
    edited May 16, 2008
    Almost forgot! We had our IT Staff Picnic today, so I had my coworkers pose for some portraits w/ the 17-55

295863571_XCoQT-M.jpg . 295863762_aEP8X-M.jpg

295862431_6z9UT-M.jpg . 295863110_v3X3r-M.jpg

More here: http://photos.cathoffman.com/gallery/4944634_k9Eth
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    My biggest complaint with my 24-70L glass is the external zooming which can introduce dust into the glass. However it is a pretty handy piece of equipment. If I had a wishlist though, I'd also add in IS. (Rumor mill has it we could see a 24-70 f2.8L IS sometime soon fwiw)

Honestly though in terms of IQ, I've found myself using my 16-35 glass in wide apps far more than the 24-70. Of course that range between 35-70 is a tough gap to miss, but I also stick with the 35mm and 50mm prime.
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited May 16, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Cloud or clear one?

I have the clear one. it comes with a 'cloudy' dome, that works well as a diffuser in a pinch. Shot with clear lightsphere (and done in a pinch, not posed)

139357727_wPhQL-M.jpg

Not bad, IMHO, for a single, on-camera flash
    edited May 16, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Cloud or clear one?
    From what I've read, it really doesn't matter. I have the clear one and it worked as designed (when I used it). I've since moved on to the BBC as a more efficient light modifier. The LS works well/best in small rooms and I don't often have the chance to work with it that way.
    edited May 16, 2008
    From what I've read, it really doesn't matter. I have the clear one and it worked as designed (when I used it). I've since moved on to the BBC as a more efficient light modifier. The LS works well/best in small rooms and I don't often have the chance to work with it that way.

15524779-Ti.gif I don't have a LightSphere. This was a single flash with the equivalent to a large bounce card:

attachment.php?attachmentid=11180&stc=1&d=1142095982

These are all single flash with a homemade scoop:

143666541-L.jpg

116991247-D.jpg

233444706-L.jpg

296108639_ZQmc2-L.jpg

The LightSphere would not have been as good a choice in each of these instances because of the room and/or ceilings.
    ziggy53
    edited May 16, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The LightSphere would not have been as good a choice in each of these instances because of the room and/or ceilings.

I see this often, and I don't think that entirely true. I have found using the included 'dome' provides simple bounce, and if you leave the dome on with the flash facing your subject, it works very nicely as a modifier. I think sometimes that ceiling bounce gives "racoon eyes" that the Lightsphere helps eliminate.

That being said, it is hard to beat a simple piece of white "Foamies" to bounce light well.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    I use a foamie for my bounce. A good $15. purchase! :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited May 16, 2008
    I am not getting as good of results with my bbc....I decided it was time to try something else.

out of the camera using a bbc. Do I need to make a bigger one?

iC1A6B192-FD79-46CA-AEF8-EFDA06B5EB25.jpg

i9BA68854-4C0C-4352-9B43-35902450664E.jpg
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

edited May 16, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    I see this often, and I don't think that entirely true. I have found using the included 'dome' provides simple bounce, and if you leave the dome on with the flash facing your subject, it works very nicely as a modifier. I think sometimes that ceiling bounce gives "racoon eyes" that the Lightsphere helps eliminate.

That being said, it is hard to beat a simple piece of white "Foamies" to bounce light well.

Allow me to elaborate:

In this shot:

attachment.php?attachmentid=11180&stc=1&d=1142095982

The ceiling was slanted with respect to the camera high-left to low-right. As such I had to swivel and tilt the flash to the right to get the correct angle for bounce. The improvised "bounce card" I used (for fill) is so light that it did not affect the ability of the flash head to maintain the head angle. A problem with the LightSphere (LS) is its weight and the flash head would not have held position without my assistance. Other than that, the LS would have worked fine as far as the type of fill it provides.

In the remainder of the above shots (using the "scoop" reflector), the ceiling would not have provided the best light for either a "bounce card" or a LS.

In those cases the scoop both lifts and diffuses the light over a relatively large area. The bulk of the light emits from a distance of almost 24" above the center of the lens. (Canon 1D MKII, Stroboframe Pro-T flash bracket). If I used the LS with the diffusion dome in place the light would emit around 13" above the center of the lens with the flash pointed forward or around 17 1/2" with the flash pointed up.

The LS pointed forward would be around 11" less above the lens than the scoop, and when the flash is pointed up it is wasting considerable power in that it emits in all directions when only a broad forward light is needed.

I am not trying to say that the LS does not work, it does and under the right circumstances it is extremely nice light.

I do believe that the scoop modifier works better and more efficiently for most of the shooting that I do.
    ziggy53
    edited May 16, 2008
    unclejon wrote:
    I am not getting as good of results with my bbc....I decided it was time to try something else.

out of the camera using a bbc. Do I need to make a bigger one?

A "bounce card" is simply a fill light device that works in conjunction with ceiling bounce. If you are not using the ceiling, the bounce card becomes a primary light, but not a very good one IMO. Using a larger card will provide a larger surface and more forward light, but it doesn't necessarily solve all your problems.

In a "studio" situation, where the subject is positioned in front of a background and the shot is planned, I greatly prefer to use carefully placed off-camera lights.

If you are limited to a single light source, a lighting setup like Scott describes here works pretty darned well, and yes you can use a dark background but I think the light background works better:

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=818132&postcount=1
    ziggy53
    edited May 16, 2008
    BTW, a little PS work (I think) improves the image. I used "Shadow-Highlight" and then "Levels" along with some USM. I will remove if you wish.
    Before:

After:
    ziggy53
    edited May 16, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    BTW, a little PS work (I think) improves the image. I used "Shadow-Highlight" and then "Levels" along with some USM. I will remove if you wish.
    Before:

After:

I guess my point was exactly that. That yes the post processing will fix them but that takes time. If I can get it closer by spending 20 buck on a cheapo whaletail or lightsphere on ebay and it gets it to where it is suppose to be the first time. all the better and less work. if i dont like the results I can always sell it on craigslist ....

I think the other reason I decided to get a whaletail was because my wife found my paypal stash and started buying baby stuff...Had to act quickly...Laughing.gif

Maybe I need to make a bbc with the scoop as well. bbc works good but sometimes I get sorta dark results as seen above and the scoop would throw more light forward and also my current bbc doesnt seem to have any range.

edited May 16, 2008
    unclejon wrote:

Maybe I need to make a bbc with the scoop as well. bbc works good but sometimes I get sorta dark results as seen above and the scoop would throw more light forward and also my current bbc doesnt seem to have any range.

Understand that the "scoop" modifier I use is not a bounce card. It actually works by lifting and spreading the light, similar to what you could do with a much taller flash bracket and perhaps a very small softbox. The scoop is so lightweight that it has little effect on the handling of the flash. Rather than fill, a scoop is the primary light source.

You still need to apply good judgement regarding FEC and basic exposure settings as well as proper placement of the light, but that is also true for any flash modifier. The camera alone doesn't always work best in default settings.

I tend to think of image processing software and post-processing as just part of the process of making good images.
    ziggy53
    edited May 16, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    A "bounce card" is simply a fill light device that works in conjunction with ceiling bounce. If you are not using the ceiling, the bounce card becomes a primary light, but not a very good one IMO. Using a larger card will provide a larger surface and more forward light, but it doesn't necessarily solve all your problems.

In a "studio" situation, where the subject is positioned in front of a background and the shot is planned, I greatly prefer to use carefully placed off-camera lights.

If you are limited to a single light source, a lighting setup like Scott describes here works pretty darned well, and yes you can use a dark background but I think the light background works better:

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=818132&postcount=1

Didnt see this one....Yea I am working on trying to get my 580 ex off camera. I bought a vivitar 283 for cheap 2 weeks ago (as the strobist says light is light) so that makes 2 and I am decideing if I should go the ebay trigger way or try to scrape together for some skyports .....Cant afford pocketwizards at this time ..Think i do want wireless though...Also would like to maybe get some umbrellas (at least one--lol). Is the strobist set up good at mpex or should I go a different route?