Options

Drugs, cannibals & the volcano.

Comments

• Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    What an amazing adventure Gus. We thoroughly enjoyed reading it...glad you survived both the attacks and the Kava!
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Howdy Gus
    Howdy Gus,

What an amazing read, I followed each installment like it was an adventure novel, and images were wonderful and stellar in their own right.

I hadn't ever heard of Kava before, so this was also an added mystery.

I can't imagine being that close to the Volcano, and the images of it were breathtaking.

The images really showed how friendly and caring the town people are and their warm smiles really shown through in your shots.

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful journey.

Kindest Regards,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2008
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2008
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gif

Great stuff mate

eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gif

Great stuff mate

eek7.gif
  • Options
    jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Great pictures. Great story. As someone else said you are truely a traveller and not a tourist.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2008
    jpl wrote:
    Great pictures. Great story. As someone else said you are truely a traveller and not a tourist.
  • Options
    goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Wow, you just set a new standard for Journeys in the forum.

I started reading this thread the first day you posted and just came back to it tonight. I'm sure glad I did.

Wonderful images and story.

Thanks so much for sharing with all of us!
    Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2008
    goofry wrote:
    Wow, you just set a new standard for Journeys in the forum.

I started reading this thread the first day you posted and just came back to it tonight. I'm sure glad I did.

Wonderful images and story.

Thanks so much for sharing with all of us!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Jeeeeeeeez DUDE, how frikin' close to the lip were you???bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Fantastic Shots. Oh I think I said that earlier........When I grow up I wanna be just like Gus!!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    I don't even know where to start, Gus! What an amazing journey and your shots were just mind-boggling!!! You are so right about the people and how beautiful and friendly they are....just love their smiles. Those volcano shots are incredible. The foliage is so lush it just doesn't look real. I can't even imagine being there! You tell a great story as well as being a great photographer. This thread made for a really enjoyable evening! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait for your next vacation. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Thanks for sharing! Can't wait for your next vacation. thumb.gif
    No thank you for following this far saurora. Im far more suited to leisure than work.
    Art Scott wrote:
    how frikin' close to the lip were you?
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Nice shots. Sounds like a great holiday. My fav is 'crabs', I like the motion in the background compared to the foreground. And the curiosity, and focus, of the young man.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    kangamanguskangamangus Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Wow, amazing story!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it!
    Thanks for sharing!

Must be quite an expierence drinking Kava in such a strange place!
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Amazing Gus... bowdown.gif Great stuff...
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Now that's a vacation the likes of which I've never seen!!! I think it's incredible that you're able to take your family on trips like this. What an education. Your images of the people and volcano are magnificent and your storytelling is compelling.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2008
    Wow, amazing story!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it!
    Thanks for sharing!

Must be quite an expierence drinking Kava in such a strange place!

• Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Gus:

I read this all, a bit transfixed. I think of myself as a type of a world traveler - having lived in the US, Europe and a small stint in China. But, I have never seen a world like this.

I am a bit aghast at the whole kava experiance. Not that I have issues (I too grew up in the 70's) but at the sheer moxie you show in going to these places alone and trusting the locals to take care of you.

I have beein in Mexico City and backwater China where they would have taken my kindeys and left me for dead first.

Anyway, the photos are fantastic. The feeling of being there, the adventure and the story kept me glued to the entire thread. I have to say, I also read some your and Dr IT adventures in Oz and wish I were there. I met Eric at one of the MOA morotcycle rallies in USA and have been a bit of a folllower of his adventures. By association, I now follow you via the internet as well. But this trip have me mesmerized.

Some day, I want to go too!

Z

PS: I sold a lens in Flea market to a guy in Austrailia and it worked out fine - I get your rif in the whole flea market thread!
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    Gus:

I read this all, a bit transfixed. I think of myself as a type of a world traveler - having lived in the US, Europe and a small stint in China. But, I have never seen a world like this.

I am a bit aghast at the whole kava experiance. Not that I have issues (I too grew up in the 70's) but at the sheer moxie you show in going to these places alone and trusting the locals to take care of you.

I have beein in Mexico City and backwater China where they would have taken my kindeys and left me for dead first.

Anyway, the photos are fantastic. The feeling of being there, the adventure and the story kept me glued to the entire thread. I have to say, I also read some your and Dr IT adventures in Oz and wish I were there. I met Eric at one of the MOA morotcycle rallies in USA and have been a bit of a folllower of his adventures. By association, I now follow you via the internet as well. But this trip have me mesmerized.

Some day, I want to go too!

Z

PS: I sold a lens in Flea market to a guy in Austrailia and it worked out fine - I get your rif in the whole flea market thread!

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 24, 2008
    gus wrote:
    G'day Z. man every time i see your name i immediately think of bubba.
    young bloke over on advrider actually calls himself BubbaZanetti nod.gif

even more coincidental, we went to the same school, and he lived just down the road. we shopped at the same BMW shop.

Mmmm, curry :D

Zanotti! wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited May 24, 2008
    gus wrote:

Meeting up with the good doc tonight for a curry. We almost have him australianised rolleyes1.gif we eat a lot of curries here.

Ride safe.

Curries?? from Paste or powder?
    I can always use new curry recipes.......here I am stuck with Mae Ploy paste...not bad and it is what all the asian resturants use.....but if I can get better I want better.....of course I always put in plenty of chili sauce for heat factor....rolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    Gus - what a fantastic account of your adventures!! thumb.gif

I've gotta say - you walk where angles fear to tread. Look forward to more of your tales in the future.

MichelleL
    Michelle Legg :smooch

michellelegg.com
    http://legg.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Curries?? from Paste or powder?
    I can always use new curry recipes.......here I am stuck with Mae Ploy paste...not bad and it is what all the asian resturants use.....but if I can get better I want better.....of course I always put in plenty of chili sauce for heat factor....rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2008
    MichelleL wrote:
    Gus - what a fantastic account of your adventures!! thumb.gif

I've gotta say - you walk where angles fear to tread. Look forward to more of your tales in the future.

MichelleL
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Im surrounded by curry restaurants rolleyes1.gif 4 all within a mile of me.
    You lucky dawg!!!! Not one good Indian reaturant in this area.......
    Indian??

Ok I was off topic sort of ....

now back to your locally programmed diversion of Drugs, Cannibals and the Volcano.........

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    Gus.
    I clicked the reply button, then just stared at the keyboard for a couple of minutes trying to think of what to say.

I sat with you in Glacier and talked to you about your safari trip, some of the things that you had to trust others to do, to help take care of you and yours.
    Your confidence in yourself and your family allow you to take such fantastic trips. I still don't know what to say.

Although I couldn't take a trip like this, (I'd starve to death without fast food) the thought of taking one is what every little boy fantasizes about.

You manage to bring your trips to life though your shots and your words.
    Thanks for posting this thread, it was a really fun read.

And although your daughter might like the comforts of home, she's still out there with Mom and Dad, seeing the world that many of us will never see, except in photos.

As she gets to an age to were she starts telling stories to others, what stories do you think she'll tell?

So to sum it up, Gus, you're that man that a lot of us wanted to grow up to be.
    Your wife is a saint, and your daughter will have the most interesting "What I did on my summer Vacation" paper ever. :D

davev.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    Excellent, excellent, excellent, a real treat, thank you very much for that. What is it that you do to make money? Seems that's a good candidate for a mag piece. Cheers!
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2008
    davev wrote:
    Gus.
    I clicked the reply button, then just stared at the keyboard for a couple of minutes trying to think of what to say.

davev.