Options

The SmugVault Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    Phatman113Phatman113 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    I love smugvault... I got it as soon as I heard about it, and I've been using S*E to upload all my files. Is there any way to organize the SmugVault view of these files? I've got a few duplicates that I'd like to weed out and they're not sorted by name, which means I have to go through the 1130 files and try to find the two with the same name... eek7.gif

I don't know that I would need any different views other than sort by name, so I'm not asking for that, but there just doesn't seem to be any logical structure to the default sort of smugvault storage view...

(in the future, I'll make sure that my RAW and JPG files are named the same for linked purposes, but it's not worth going back and renaming them all... :D )

Thanks!
    http://phatman113.smugmug.com
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi :lust
    - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM lens :lust
    - Kit lens...:cry
  • Options
    jedi6jedi6 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    How do you cancel?
    Sheaf wrote:
    The SmugVault payments are completely separate from your SmugMug subscription fees. You pay Amazon directly. So yes, you can cancel it at anytime without changing your SmugMug subscription.

How exactly would someone cancel their SmugVault if they wanted to? I'm not seeing an option for that.

Thanks
  • Options
    populuspopulus Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    I agree that there is an urgent need to make Smugvault more useful by improving the uploading tools. In particular, if you have several thousand .DNG files to upload, it is really important to be able to synchronize with folders on your hard drive. Otherwise, you can never be sure you have actually uploaded what you intended to, or that you are up to date with uploads.

I have, in the last few days, tried all the available uploading tools. None of them work as well as Simple, and some are really awful. But Simple is just that - simple (as in stupid). With no way of knowing what has uploaded properly, all you can do is compare folder contents visually.

So if someone could create a Smugmug uploader that is tolerant of the large file size of .DNG, Smugvault would be worth the money. Even so, it could take months to upload a significant collection.

I have the fastest-available cable connection and regularly test the lines to be sure they are efficient. My jpgs upload using Send to Smugmug with almost no errors. But .DNGs have been really frustrating.

Somebody, please help realize the potential of Smugvault by making an efficient uploader, along the lines of the wonderful Beyond Compare tool for FTP, which works like magic.
    My Smugmug Site: photos.kimmerer.com
  • Options
    bch2300bch2300 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    smugvault question-
    hi-

i uploaded some files today...all jpg-
    when i went to view the gallery, i noticed a smugvault icon over several...after checking, it turns out that they were pretty large 8, 9, and 15MB ... but i'm still not sure why they ended up in the vault?

i checked the help, and the wiki page, and it looks to me like it says that only jpg files "above our generous limit" go to the vault...which is 24MB...so i'm just confused as to why they show as smugvault items...

did i overlook something?

also, while i'm thinking about it... is there a way to see the total amount of data stored in the vault...since it's a pay per byte service, i would assume there is a way to see the current size?

(the smugvault rocks, btw)

bh
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    bch2300 wrote:
    hi-

i uploaded some files today...all jpg-
    when i went to view the gallery, i noticed a smugvault icon over several...after checking, it turns out that they were pretty large 8, 9, and 15MB ... but i'm still not sure why they ended up in the vault?

i checked the help, and the wiki page, and it looks to me like it says that only jpg files "above our generous limit" go to the vault...which is 24MB...so i'm just confused as to why they show as smugvault items...

did i overlook something?

also, while i'm thinking about it... is there a way to see the total amount of data stored in the vault...since it's a pay per byte service, i would assume there is a way to see the current size?

(the smugvault rocks, btw)

bh
    Your site please? :D
  • Options
    bch2300bch2300 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Your site please? :D

here is one of the pics, 8.29mb --
    http://brianhart.smugmug.com/gallery/5558088_edTHd/1/#340527165_doJLF-A-LB

-bh
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2008
    Smugvault security issues
    I have raised this issue with Support but the answer was not adequate.

According to the SmugVault instructions, "Your visitors will not see any files
    represented by a SmugVault default image in your galleries." However, several days ago I was showing someone my galleries, not logged in and not on my computer and VOILA, all my SmugVault images were visible in all their undeveloped lack of glory (i.e. the jpg representations of the .DNG files I uploaded). Not only that, but you could right-click and save the images or put one in the shopping cart.

So evidently something happened to expose the SmugVault galleries. I went in to Customize Gallery and made them private and turned off right-clicking.

Tech support today said there was no problem, but if I turn off Private in Customize Gallery, I can still see the galleries on a different computer not logged in. Notice that this is not a caching issue - I am using different computers, on one of which I have never logged in.

So there appears to be a security problem with SmugVault that makes me very leery of using it. I don't want anyone to see my images that have not been developed. I like using S3, but perhaps I need to create a separate set of Private galleries for storage.

Has anyone else had this issue?
  • Options
    it doesn't address the issue, but you can turn off the visual representation of Vault files in the Vault homepage (the one you get taken to if you follow the link from control panel)

I've decided that I like the visual representation, so I just make two galleries. One called whatever I want it for people to find it, eg. "Gallery" and another that's an unlisted, password protected gallery called: "(Vault) Gallery" so I know what the RAW files belong to...

It works out for me, but may not fit with your workflow style... ne_nau.gif
    ~R
  • Options
    Phatman113 wrote:
    it doesn't address the issue, but you can turn off the visual representation of Vault files in the Vault homepage (the one you get taken to if you follow the link from control panel)

I've decided that I like the visual representation, so I just make two galleries. One called whatever I want it for people to find it, eg. "Gallery" and another that's an unlisted, password protected gallery called: "(Vault) Gallery" so I know what the RAW files belong to...

It works out for me, but may not fit with your workflow style... ne_nau.gif
    ~R

Thanks, Phat. I'm not clear on the "visual representation" button - I thought the purpose of the visual representation was to allow me to see the previews when I am logged in. The SmugVault galleries themselves are not supposed to be visible, are they? This is what it says on the SV page: "Your storage is private, and hidden from visitors." But that statement does not appear to be true.
  • Options
    That might have been their intent, but I never took it that way... I just assumed that if there was a visual representation, it would be available to everybody, so I made my separate galleries.

Perhaps we'll get a response to that question from Andy or someone else who knows... deal.gif
  • Options
    tgelstontgelston Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    Metadata and replacements confusion
    Hello,

Just added Vault last week and did my first test upload this morning of RAWs- It made visual copies but did not pull metadata(keywords/captions/geolocation). I don't see any mention that it would - just was being hopeful, is this something you could add in the future?

When I realized that it did not take the metadata I reuploaded jpg versions all with same file name but instead of replacing the vault displays it added new images. So, what should I do. I saw a mention on the wiki of "and via the "Replace" photo tool." but don't know what that refers too. Should I just turn off the feature that makes displays of RAW?

Thanks,
    Tobias

EDIT>> Here is the gallery in question- http://tgelston.smugmug.com/gallery/5873188_XQmKW#373806157_CSEXJ
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2008
    populus wrote:
    Thanks, Phat. I'm not clear on the "visual representation" button - I thought the purpose of the visual representation was to allow me to see the previews when I am logged in. The SmugVault galleries themselves are not supposed to be visible, are they? This is what it says on the SV page: "Your storage is private, and hidden from visitors." But that statement does not appear to be true.
    Rendered JPGs are public or private as you make them, set your gallery settings :)

Visitors won't ever see your vault items.
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    I finally started using my SmugVault capabilities, but something's wrong, not unrelated to the previous poster's problem. If I upload Jpegs, no problem. If I upload DNG files (I have thousands), when I look at the photo info, the size (pixel count) is usually too small, something like 800x1200 or 1200 x 1600, (they should be 3888 x 2586 or so). These are all taken with Canon XTi, 30D or 5D cameras in full-on RAW, with no shrinkage.

There is ZERO EXIF data for the file, which of course causes them to not be sorted in the correct order. It's as though they are being treated as scans. No metadata is taken from the DNG either. This functionality works fine with the Jpegs I've uploaded. Essentially, I cannot upload any more until I know this is going to be worth the effort.

Let me post a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

378342135_sKVK2-O.png
    378342118_z2W43-O.pn
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2008
    Downloading the file from my SV preserves every aspect of the file, including pixel density. It seems to be all in how SmugMug is reading (or not reading) the DNG data.
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2008
    Does my plea go unheard?
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2008
    Hey guys, can somebody please read this and respond? Otherwise I will take it up with SmugSupport.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2008
    I think you are looking at the JPG rendering of the DNG file. SmugVault doesn't let you see the original .DNG, but only the JPG rendering of it at whatever size it happens to make. If you download the .DNG, all the metadata will be there.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 11, 2008
    Pindy,

I am sorry that you did not get a timely reply. A lot of the Dgrin folks are out shooting in the desert this week so help is a little sparse. Populus is correct that the rendered jpg is what you are seeing. That is intended as a way to identify the file.

If you need help, please give us a shout on the help desk.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2008
    Thanks guys,

I can accept the lack of metadata for dng files, but is there a reason we can't parse those files?
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    The pairing of RAW to JPEG by filename, does that happen per gallery or the entire site? I would LOVE it if I could upload RAWs to a single gallery and still have them paired to existing, same-name JPEGs, in the UI.

The renders of RAWs, PSD's, is that to one specific size, or alll sizes that JPEGs are converted to today? I would LOVE it, like sharding, if I could upload only one type of "raw" image file and have everything behave as it does today.

I would also love it if this was a Smugmug product, billed by SM, preferrably at fixed prices.

Malte
  • Options
    camille1128camille1128 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2008
    Files for thumbnails?

I uploaded a couple of files to my vault to test it out. I can't see thumbnails of them, even though I selected the "Create visual previews when we can" option. I shoot with a Pentax K10D. The files I uploaded were PEF. I have an option to shoot DNG. What files should I use to make sure I can get visual previews?
    I emailed support already, and was told he didn't have a list of files that will work. There isn't a list under "features," either. I would hope someone's got a list to share with customers.

• Options
    edited November 1, 2008

I uploaded a couple of files to my vault to test it out. I can't see thumbnails of them, even though I selected the "Create visual previews when we can" option. I shoot with a Pentax K10D. The files I uploaded were PEF. I have an option to shoot DNG. What files should I use to make sure I can get visual previews?
    I emailed support already, and was told he didn't have a list of files that will work. There isn't a list under "features," either. I would hope someone's got a list to share with customers.

Probably DNG, but linkn me to your vault gallery pls?
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Malte wrote:
    The pairing of RAW to JPEG by filename, does that happen per gallery or the entire site? I would LOVE it if I could upload RAWs to a single gallery and still have them paired to existing, same-name JPEGs, in the UI.

The renders of RAWs, PSD's, is that to one specific size, or alll sizes that JPEGs are converted to today? I would LOVE it, like sharding, if I could upload only one type of "raw" image file and have everything behave as it does today.

I would also love it if this was a Smugmug product, billed by SM, preferrably at fixed prices.

Malte

Andy, could you have a looksie at these Qs?

Malte
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    Malte wrote:
    Andy, could you have a looksie at these Qs?

Malte
    Malte wrote:

Malte

Pairing is on a per-gallery basis. The jpgs we render, we'll make 8 display copies - X3 down to tiny thumbnail.

The billing comes from Amazon, sorry :(
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    Thanks guys,

I can accept the lack of metadata for dng files, but is there a reason we can't parse those files?
    Can you explain more what you mean by this, I don't understand ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    camille1128camille1128 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Probably DNG, but linkn me to your vault gallery pls?
    http://camillewrightfelton.smugmug.com/gallery/6421347_ZQRp8/1/406717874_WbCmy
  • Options
    JetrangerJetranger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Just a follow-up ...

My current web host has a feature where you can backup as many files as you want. The cost is 1 cent per 4 MB. This is a ONE TIME fee. There are no monthly fees, no recurring fees, no upload fees, and no download fees.

So if your raw files are about 12MB each, for a flat 3 cents a photo - you can save and retrieve that file forever.

Yes, you would have to subscribe to their hosting plan which is about $6 a month for unlimited disk and unlimited transfers - and 1 domain registration is included.

This is the cheapest I have found anywhere. So far.

Steve
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Jetranger wrote:
    Just a follow-up ...

My current web host has a feature where you can backup as many files as you want. The cost is 1 cent per 4 MB. This is a ONE TIME fee. There are no monthly fees, no recurring fees, no upload fees, and no download fees.

So if your raw files are about 12MB each, for a flat 3 cents a photo - you can save and retrieve that file forever.

Yes, you would have to subscribe to their hosting plan which is about $6 a month for unlimited disk and unlimited transfers - and 1 domain registration is included.

This is the cheapest I have found anywhere. So far.

Steve,
    it's very interesting, but I'm a little bit confused. headscratch.gif
    If I pay $6 month for unlimited space/unlimited transfer already, how come to I get charged (even tiny) EXTRA for backup? I mean if I simply "upload" my RAW file, it's free, but if I "backup" it - it's a separate transaction? Or maybe they provide some extra services for that, like background check, convenient restore feature, or something?
    Do explain, please!

PS
    And btw, what's the hosting service name? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    JetrangerJetranger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Steve,
    it's very interesting, but I'm a little bit confused. headscratch.gif
    If I pay $6 month for unlimited space/unlimited transfer already, how come to I get charged (even tiny) EXTRA for backup? I mean if I simply "upload" my RAW file, it's free, but if I "backup" it - it's a separate transaction? Or maybe they provide some extra services for that, like background check, convenient restore feature, or something?
    Do explain, please!

PS
    And btw, what's the hosting service name? mwink.gif

Well, all of the "unlimited disk" hosting companies that I have seen ensure that the unlimited space is actually USED for legitimate website content. There are restrictions to the unlimitied usage, such as no copyright infringements, no pirated files, and no files that are not used by the website you are hosting (ie backup files). Otherwise everyone would just throw all their backups to their host for free ... but you can have the most massive websites imaginable and they will host them for the flat fee.

I wasn't sure if I could post the name of the host here ... PM me and I will send you the host name and give you a referral code to get $50 off if you like.

Steve
  • Options
    anderivanderiv Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Jetranger wrote:
    Well, all of the "unlimited disk" hosting companies that I have seen ensure that the unlimited space is actually USED for legitimate website content. There are restrictions to the unlimitied usage, such as no copyright infringements, no pirated files, and no files that are not used by the website you are hosting (ie backup files). Otherwise everyone would just throw all their backups to their host for free ... but you can have the most massive websites imaginable and they will host them for the flat fee.

I wasn't sure if I could post the name of the host here ... PM me and I will send you the host name and give you a referral code to get $50 off if you like.
    Part of my personal concern with using this sort of service revolves around core competency. A web hosting company's core competency is (gasp) webhosting. I'm guessing they found themselves with a surplus of disk sitting around, so they decided to try and monetize it by offerring "backup" services. Backup, though, is not something they're very experienced at doing. AWS S3 (this is what SmugVault uses on the back end), on the other hand, is incredibly experienced at data storage/backup, and they go to great lengths to assure that your data is safe and secure. I'm not confident that a web hosting company would do the same.
    Erik Anderson
    http://andersonfam.org
    http://andersonfam.smugmug.com
    D70 | SB-600 | Nifty Fifty | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Nikon 70-300 f/4-5.6G