Options

Very Unhappy with Filename Showing in Keywords

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    onethumb wrote:
    I hate to disagree with you, but I just went and checked out various revisions of our codebase over the last 6 years, and it looks like the only prefixes we've ever ignored are:

DSC#
    P#
    IMG_#
    IMG #
    DSC_#
    DSCN#
    DSC #
    DSCF#
    PICT#
    PICT# #

And some various other strings that are 2 chars or less.

JLF_# would have generated "JLF" keywords since the day SmugMug added keywords, at least according to code I'm looking at.

Are you sure your workflow hasn't changed? I want to make sure we put it back to the "way it's always been" before we start looking for ways to improve it.

That's not what I'm seeing. Look at all the galleries in this category: http://friend.smugmug.com/Sports/509730. The galleries are password protected so let me know if you need the password to get in.

For the images in that gallery, they all have multiple keywords on them from my Adobe Lightroom work to sort and categorize them. None of them have any "JLF" keyword. I certainly did not go through all 1120 images in this category and remove just the JLF keyword so something kept it from getting auto-generated in Smugmug.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    That's not what I'm seeing. Look at all the galleries in this category: http://friend.smugmug.com/Sports/509730. The galleries are password protected so let me know if you need the password to get in.

For the images in that gallery, they all have multiple keywords on them from my Adobe Lightroom work to sort and categorize them. None of them have any "JLF" keyword. I certainly did not go through all 1120 images in this category and remove just the JLF keyword so something kept it from getting auto-generated in Smugmug.
    can you link me to a gallery where they ARE showing up as keywords? also, can you confirm you used the LR uploader on both those galleries with and without the JLF keywords?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    can you link me to a gallery where they ARE showing up as keywords? also, can you confirm you used the LR uploader on both those galleries with and without the JLF keywords?

I do not use the LR uploader - never have. I mostly use StarExplorer for uploading.

In this recently uploaded gallery (from about a week ago), http://jfriend.smugmug.com/gallery/5608869_vwzCG, their are images from several different cameras. The ones with filenames JLF_XXXX are showing both a jlf keyword and an XXXX keyword. Note: I use keywords hidden with CSS because of the bad keywords. You can see the actual keywords in the Edit Captions/Keywords interface.

FYI, for my images that have filenames JF2_YYYY, I do not get JF2 as a keyword, but I do get YYYY as a keyword.

For my images that have filenames JLF_ZZZZ, I get a keyword for both JLF and ZZZZ.

For my images that have filenames DSC_VVVV, I get no extra keywords from my filenames.

I use this prefix to prevent filename conflicts among my different cameras and make it easy in the file system to tell which camera a given image came from so I have no interest in leaving them all as DSC.

I am in the camp that wants no keywords added from my filenames at all. If I want keywords, I add keywords myself.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    jfriend wrote:

I am in the camp that wants to keywords added from my filenames at all. If I want keywords, I add keywords.
    15524779-Ti.gif I second that. Turn this funtion off, just adds all kinds of garbage to
    keywords. There are many other ways to add keywords. Or put a toggle under
    customize gallery.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I am in the camp that wants to keywords added from my filenames at all. If I want keywords, I add keywords.
    I'm afraid I have no idea what this means - Allen seems to understand, but I don't...
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2008
    BigAl wrote:
    I'm afraid I have no idea what this means - Allen seems to understand, but I don't...

My unfortunate typo which I have now corrected. I meant. "I am in the camp that wants NO keywords added from the filename. If I want keywords, I will add them myself." Right now Smugmug is adding junk and meaningless keywords to everyone of my images.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    My unfortunate typo which I have now corrected. I meant. "I am in the camp that wants NO keywords added from the filename. If I want keywords, I will add them myself." Right now Smugmug is adding junk and meaningless keywords to everyone of my images.
    Ok. That makes sense now.

One thing I do agree with, I leave the camera's numbering in the filename, and that number has been added as a keyword since keywords from filenames have been put back.
  • Options
    BulldoggieBulldoggie Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Put the bug back in
    Add me to the list - I want the bug back in. The manual editing to remove this "helpful" feature takes a lot of time.
    Drink like a camel, eat like a pig, feel like a lion!
  • Options
    SailingGuy17SailingGuy17 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif I agree - put the bug back in! Adding the file names as keywords should be an option.
  • Options
    JoeGJoeG Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif Put me on the list too.
    Joe Gearhart
    Photos | Blogs | Twitter | MySpace | Facebook
  • Options
    PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    This is really not a big deal to me... but I think it might make sense to only search filenames for actual words, rather than numbers. My filenames are in a format like this:

YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_camera-assigned-number, and they look like this:
    20080805_134438_8911...
    so I get 20080805, 134438, and 8911 as keywords. Not useful, but not a crisis either. Hey, at least now I have keywords! rolleyes1.gif (I'm terrible about using them.)
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2008
    I'm bring this thread back to life because I'm unsure if the issue is resolved. It appears that some progress was made. My images which all have filenames like JLF_xxxx.jpg or JF2_yyyy.jpg used to be getting keywords JLF, JF2, XXXX and YYYY. Now they are no longer getting keywords JLF and JF2, but they are still getting keywords XXXX and YYYY (pure numbers, different on every image).

Is this the way Smugmug intends for it to work or are fixes still in progress to improve this. I don't want any keywords added from my filenames. For my purposes (since it's already ignoring my three letter prefix), I would be OK if you just stopped adding anything as a keyword that is a pure number. But, the more flexible option would be to let the customer decide whether they wanted automatic keywords generated or not.

Any word on this issue?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    ToxMoxToxMox Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    I really wish there was an option to disable creating Keywords out of filenames. My keywords are a complete mess now and it is difficult to bulk edit them properly in SmugMug. For now I have just turned them off from displaying at all.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    My work around for this was simply to ensure that my uploaded images had at least one keyword in the metadata. All my filenames are similar to John's format, Hiron_yyyymmdd_xxxx.jpg.

If I upload an image without any keywords, it shows up in the gallery with the keyword Hiron. If it has at least one keyword added to the metadata, it will not have the keyword Hiron. I just tested this again with a sample gallery.

This being said, I was very surprised to find 2 recent galleries with nothing more than the keyword Hiron (except one photo). It turns out it is probably me. I am testing LR2 for the very first time. I thought I added a keyword to a group of photos and apparently did not. Need to be more careful, I guess ...
  • Options
    tim.steadmantim.steadman Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    take filename keywords away!!
    jfriend wrote:
    I do not use the LR uploader - never have. I mostly use StarExplorer for uploading.

In this recently uploaded gallery (from about a week ago), http://jfriend.smugmug.com/gallery/5608869_vwzCG, their are images from several different cameras. The ones with filenames JLF_XXXX are showing both a jlf keyword and an XXXX keyword. Note: I use keywords hidden with CSS because of the bad keywords. You can see the actual keywords in the Edit Captions/Keywords interface.

FYI, for my images that have filenames JF2_YYYY, I do not get JF2 as a keyword, but I do get YYYY as a keyword.

For my images that have filenames JLF_ZZZZ, I get a keyword for both JLF and ZZZZ.

For my images that have filenames DSC_VVVV, I get no extra keywords from my filenames.

I use this prefix to prevent filename conflicts among my different cameras and make it easy in the file system to tell which camera a given image came from so I have no interest in leaving them all as DSC.

I am in the camp that wants no keywords added from my filenames at all. If I want keywords, I add keywords myself.

I would be happy to see automatically uploaded keywords taken away!

jfriend and others... how do you hide keywords with CSS code - any ideas? I would rather have no keywords at all!
    www.timsteadman.com

-tim
  • Options
    I would be happy to see automatically uploaded keywords taken away!

jfriend and others... how do you hide keywords with CSS code - any ideas? I would rather have no keywords at all!
    www.timsteadman.com

-tim

This CSS will hide them:

/* turn keywords off */
    #photoKeywords {display:none;}
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    tim.steadmantim.steadman Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    thanks
    jfriend wrote:
    This CSS will hide them:

/* turn keywords off */
    #photoKeywords {display:none;}

Thank you, worked like a charm!

-tim
    www.timsteadman.com
  • Options
    casperOnecasperOne Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 26, 2008
    +1 to bring back "bug"
    I definitely feel the same way about the filename being added to the keywords (as well as SmugMug's inability to just leave IPTC keywords as-is).

While I am not a professional photographer, I take great care to tag my photos (using GeoSetter and Adobe Bridge) so that I can organize them easily. I would appreciate it if SmugMug would honor that work.

As of this posting, SmugMug still includes the filename in the photos. I rename my photos according to date/time (YYYYMMDDhhmmss format). However, this point is somewhat irrelevant because the "original" file name is not always going to include it (Bridge will write it as a convenience for you when batch renaming files).

However, consider the following photo:

http://casperone.smugmug.com/gallery/6069773_kfVZK#380662057_B5hKY

This is a photo that I used bridge to place the IPTC keywords into (in reality, this is the IPTC section of XMP, which SmugMug does not support, from what I can tell, but I made sure to get it in the IPTC legacy section). I used EXIFtool to strip all the data except the IPTC data (which includes the original file name that Bridge put in) and then uploaded it.

If you look, the keywords are not shown on the site (that's a completely separate issue which I have major issues with), but if I click on "edit keywords", I see the following:

Boa Steakhouse; Inki Kim; Nicholas Paldino; Stefan Cadag; 20080503190407

The bolded keyword is the name of the uploaded file (I uploaded through the web interface, not Bridge, btw). Feel free to download the image and look at the IPTC data, and you will see that the filename is not included in it anywhere.

All that being said, this is my +1 for reinstating the "bug" to not include the filename as part of the keyword data.

I don't know if the gallery options is the place to put it (but I'll take it there if I can get it). I think that it either has to be a higher up option (or a completely separate set of options related to workflow/uploading) or on a per-image basis. Whatever the solution, there needs to be an option.

- Nick
  • Options
    casperOnecasperOne Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    +1 on this...
    To be honest, I think the better feature would be to just honor the keywords in the IPTC fields (as defined by the IPTC spec, where you can have a phrase as a single keyword) AS-IS without SmugMug doing any additional processing (no filename adding, no dropping because of numbers, etc, etc).

I've found that the heuristics that SmugMug uses for processing IPTC keywords in the photos is absolutely maddening (ok, horrendous).
  • Options
    Hi,

SmugMug filters the digits out of every keywords unless you have enclosed the keyword in quotes. This also applies to keywords embedded in the IPTC keyword metadata. This works as it was designed. I'm sorry for the hassle. I'll add your report as a feature request.

Sebastian

Sebastian, why does it do this? This is a major pain. The more I try to use keywords, the more I find they are really, really screwed up on Smugmug.

If I put a keyword in the IPTC before upload, Smugmug should honor it exactly as is - no special processing, no tricks needed to get it to work. Use the keyword exactly how I put it there. How could I possibly have been intending anything else?

If I enter in the Smugmug UI as a keyword, Smugmug should honor it exactly as I entered it. Use the keyword exactly how I put it there. How could I possibly have been intending anything else?

If I have a filename like JLF_12345.JPG, why in the world should Smugmug add a keyword for me for "JLF" and for "12345"? I don't want any keywords automatically added from my filenames.

All of this keyword handling is just completely busted. You can say it's working as designed so it's not a bug. Then, I'll just say that the design is just completely wrong and needs serious fixing.

Please tell me someone will actually consider making the keywording behavior consistent and proper and controllable without knowing a whole bunch of special rules and without having to delete a bunch of automatically added keywords that I don't want.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    jfriend wrote:
    Sebastian, why does it do this? This is a major pain. The more I try to use keywords, the more I find they are really, really screwed up on Smugmug.

If I put a keyword in the IPTC before upload, Smugmug should honor it exactly as is - no special processing, no tricks needed to get it to work. Use the keyword exactly how I put it there. How could I possibly have been intending anything else?

If I enter in the Smugmug UI as a keyword, Smugmug should honor it exactly as I entered it. Use the keyword exactly how I put it there. How could I possibly have been intending anything else?

If I have a filename like JLF_12345.JPG, why in the world should Smugmug add a keyword for me for "JLF" and for "12345"? I don't want any keywords automatically added from my filenames.

All of this keyword handling is just completely busted. You can say it's working as designed so it's not a bug. Then, I'll just say that the design is just completely wrong and needs serious fixing.

Please tell me someone will actually consider making the keywording behavior consistent and proper and controllable without knowing a whole bunch of special rules and without having to delete a bunch of automatically added keywords that I don't want.

Hey John, We read you loud and clear my friend. Thank you for the nice concise summary of your issues with keywords. We know there are some inconsistencies there, and we want to address them. Your summary here will be a great reminder of user input when we do. Thanks!
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    cabbey wrote:
    Hey John, We read you loud and clear my friend. Thank you for the nice concise summary of your issues with keywords. We know there are some inconsistencies there, and we want to address them. Your summary here will be a great reminder of user input when we do. Thanks!
    Great, turn off the keywords added from the file names. They are nothing but
    garbage. My vote. :D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2008
    I'm not sure what the hooha about keywords is all about. I've just found that Google ignores them. I have been using a specific brand of sauce in some recipes, and keyworded my pics of the recipes with the brand name. In one of the recipes I included the brand name in a caption. The only hit I got from Google was to that caption...

Keywords only seem to work if you use Smugmug to search.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    BigAl wrote:
    I've just found that Google ignores them.
    :nah

I'm not sure what is happening in your specific situation, but keywords are not ignored by Google and very useful. They are found just fine.

Can you link me to the photo you are talking about?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    ivar wrote:

I'm not sure what is happening in your specific situation, but keywords are not ignored by Google and very useful. They are found just fine.

+ 1 google loves smuggy kewyords, :eat
  • Options
    BigAl wrote:
    I'm not sure what the hooha about keywords is all about. I've just found that Google ignores them. I have been using a specific brand of sauce in some recipes, and keyworded my pics of the recipes with the brand name. In one of the recipes I included the brand name in a caption. The only hit I got from Google was to that caption...

Keywords only seem to work if you use Smugmug to search.

Just to let you know there are other things to use keywords for, I'm using keywords to implement a sort of virtual galleries and has nothing to do with Google.

For a soccer season, I can upload the images from each game into their own gallery. Then, using purely keyword searches (via a menu I add to the gallery), I can offer views by player, by game, by season, etc... So, without me having to upload each image into multiple galleries a parent or player can see all the images of them for this game or the season. My issue is that I have to deal with keywords that Smugmug ignores, keywords that Smugmug adds on it's own, keywords that Smugmug won't find unless I search in a special way, etc...
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2008
    ivar wrote:

PM sent to you and Andy.
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    I'm having a hard time believing that my keywords are being picked up by Google. As an example this gallery
    http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/gallery/5769304_9GfbB#

I have keyworded in what I believe to be the correct way but it just doesn't appear in Google, my blog entry does though. I would appreciate someone taking a look at what I may be doing wrong or coming up with an explanation of this. I have checked many other examples of my keywording over many months and the same applies.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    caroline wrote:
    I'm having a hard time believing that my keywords are being picked up by Google. As an example this gallery
    http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/gallery/5769304_9GfbB#

I have keyworded in what I believe to be the correct way but it just doesn't appear in Google, my blog entry does though. I would appreciate someone taking a look at what I may be doing wrong or coming up with an explanation of this. I have checked many other examples of my keywording over many months and the same applies.

Caroline

When I Google for "priddy fair, priddy fair 2008, the mendips, mendip hills, mendip hills aonb" which is a set of the keywords in that gallery, the 6th result returned is http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/gallery/2491009_wJK87 which is not the above gallery, but is the 2003 version of the fair from your site. Is it possible that the 2008 gallery just hasn't been indexed yet by Google?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    Hello John,
    Thanks for your reply, that may be the answer but I put up those pics within 5 days of the actual fair so that would have been around 27th August 2008. At that time I googled "priddy fair 2008" and found an entry on a forum with an image taken at the 2008 fair, it was the 7th result - unfortunately I dont think I can find it easily at the moment, it stayed around for a couple of weeks, I would need to do some digging. I really would like to understand what I'm missing here.

Caroline

Edit:- here it is http://www.ephotozine.com/u50651/gallery/973862 3 pages down
    Super pic too :-)
    jfriend wrote:
    When I Google for "priddy fair, priddy fair 2008, the mendips, mendip hills, mendip hills aonb" which is a set of the keywords in that gallery, the 6th result returned is http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/gallery/2491009_wJK87 which is not the above gallery, but is the 2003 version of the fair from your site. Is it possible that the 2008 gallery just hasn't been indexed yet by Google?
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]