Very Unhappy with Filename Showing in Keywords

13»

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    caroline wrote:
    Hello John,
    Thanks for your reply, that may be the answer but I put up those pics within 5 days of the actual fair so that would have been around 27th August 2008. At that time I googled "priddy fair 2008" and found an entry on a forum with an image taken at the 2008 fair, it was the 7th result - unfortunately I dont think I can find it easily at the moment, it stayed around for a couple of weeks, I would need to do some digging. I really would like to understand what I'm missing here.

Caroline

Google has algorithms for how they rank things and how often they crawl. It matters how often your content changes, it matters how many other sites link to you, the kind of content you have matters, etc... It would be natural for a forum to be crawled almost daily because it's pretty much guarenteed to have lots of new content every day and a personal web-site that doesn't have many things linking to it might not be crawled that often. That said, that was a month ago, so I don't know why it isn't showing up yet, but keywords do influence your relevance in a search that has something to do with those keywords.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    Thanks for your comments John, I accept the points you make - if the consensus is that my actual keywording is not at fault then obviously work in those other areas is required, ie posting in forums and linking to the images maybe ? As far as sites linking to me are concerned this is not easy, I do have a few from the local government sites etc but they are buried quite a way down. Its a little demoralizing when the effort has been put in not to see a mention anywhere :-(

Caroline

jfriend wrote:
    Google has algorithms for how they rank things and how often they crawl. It matters how often your content changes, it matters how many other sites link to you, the kind of content you have matters, etc... It would be natural for a forum to be crawled almost daily because it's pretty much guarenteed to have lots of new content every day and a personal web-site that doesn't have many things linking to it might not be crawled that often. That said, that was a month ago, so I don't know why it isn't showing up yet, but keywords do influence your relevance in a search that has something to do with those keywords.
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    Add me to the list of folks that find the current design to be broken. Give us an option on the gallery or when we upload. I'm tired of having to edit keywords after each upload to SM.

I manage my keywords in Lightroom. No need for SM to do anything but honor them.

Jay
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    This CSS will hide them:

/* turn keywords off */
    #photoKeywords {display:none;}

Didn't work for me... what am I missing (probably something simple) - I put that in the CSS part of the customize section.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    jhelms wrote:
    Didn't work for me... what am I missing (probably something simple) - I put that in the CSS part of the customize section.
    When something doesn't seem to work there is probably an error in your CSS
    somewhere. Add it to the top and if it works there the error is confirmed.

In your case you are missing the *'s.

/* turn keywords off */
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    jhelms wrote:

You have:

/ turn keywords off /

Change it to:

/* turn keywords off */

You also have javascript errors on your page. The Google Analytics code you've put in your "footer javascript", needs to go into your "footer".
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    jfriend wrote:
    You have:

/ turn keywords off /

Change it to:

/* turn keywords off */

You also have javascript errors on your page. The Google Analytics code you've put in your "footer javascript", needs to go into your "footer".

I've started using the Lightroom plug in to upload photos -- don't seem to get the pesky keywords from file name problem that way ... see http://upload.smugmug.com/photos/add.mg?AlbumID=3504239&nocookies=true
  • Options
    jfriend wrote:
    You have:

/ turn keywords off /

Change it to:

/* turn keywords off */

I think I fixed both of them... will check later today, thanks!
    John in Georgia
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2008
    jhelms wrote:
    I think I fixed both of them... will check later today, thanks!

Yep - it's working... thanks! clap.gifthumb.gif

No more keywords showing up at all!!!!
    John in Georgia
  • Options
    cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif I agree - put the bug back in! Adding the file names as keywords should be an option.

Agreed. Tired of removing Mark from my keywords.
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Well, after a long time, we finally have a site-wide toggle that you can set, to disable filenames turning into keywords. It's in control panel, settings tab.

clap.gif!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Well, after a long time, we finally have a site-wide toggle that you can set, to disable filenames turning into keywords. It's in control panel, settings tab.

clap.gif!
    Why was this not mentioned in the release notes? This has been a big grip
    for many for a long time.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 4, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Why was this not mentioned in the release notes? This has been a big grip
    for many for a long time.

Allen,

This stuff was only released today, not in the coupons release, some release notes should be coming soon.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:

clap.gif!

Now what the hell am I supposed to complain about?? :D

Thanks!

Just one suggestion... turn it off by default. You know, to keep amount of junk in your keywords database from stinking up the whole neighborhood. :D

The 3 people that like the filename keyword "feature" can take 5 seconds to turn it on.

Dave
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    pilotdave wrote:

Thanks!

Just one suggestion... turn it off by default. You know, to keep amount of junk in your keywords database from stinking up the whole neighborhood. :D

The 3 people that like the filename keyword "feature" can take 5 seconds to turn it on.

Dave

Not that it would bother me, but "the way it's always been", is probably a safer default. :hidelol3.gif

Malte
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    Not that it would bother me, but "the way it's always been", is probably a safer default.

Malte
    The safest default would be to not auto-keyword something unless you're pretty sure that the user has modified the keyword into words that they would like keywords to be made out of. Potentially putting lots of junk into the keyword database by default isn't a smart default choice for anyone and just because it's been that way for awhile doesn't mean that is the best default.

I applaud that one can now turn it on/off globally and I think Smugmug intends further phases for this feature. For those who aren't sophisticated about these sorts of things, I'd love to see a default in the future (some sort of auto setting) that looks at the filename and only indexes the parts of it that are clearly modified into something by a person. If the filename looks like a standard camera-generated filename (as many filenames that aren't modified do), then don't index anything.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    The safest default would be to not auto-keyword something unless you're pretty sure that the user has modified the keyword into words that they would like keywords to be made out of. Potentially putting lots of junk into the keyword database by default isn't a smart default choice for anyone and just because it's been that way for awhile doesn't mean that is the best default.

I applaud that one can now turn it on/off globally and I think Smugmug intends further phases for this feature. For those who aren't sophisticated about these sorts of things, I'd love to see a default in the future (some sort of auto setting) that looks at the filename and only indexes the parts of it that are clearly modified into something by a person. If the filename looks like a standard camera-generated filename (as many filenames that aren't modified do), then don't index anything.

OK so what I'm saying is that as long as we don't have the software that can spot a human made filename, and since we're likely a very vocal minority complaining about this, the way to piss off or confuse the least amount of people is probably to keep the current behavior as the default behavior.

Malte
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    pilotdave wrote:
    lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    OK so what I'm saying is that as long as we don't have the software that can spot a human made filename, and since we're likely a very vocal minority complaining about this, the way to piss off or confuse the least amount of people is probably to keep the current behavior as the default behavior.

Malte
    I disagree. Adding the wrong things to keywords creates a big mess that is not easily fixable by the user. I had thousands of filename-generated junk keywords across hundreds of galleries that caused me to have to turn off all use of keywords on my site. And, it wasn't even worth trying to fix because every upload would pollute it more. Nearly all of my filenames conformed to a well known camera filename spec and could have easily been detected by software (of the form abc_1234.jpg) as coming straight from a camera.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    zooloozooloo Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:

clap.gif!
    Yeah! About time. Thanks for the good news.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2009
    Yeah clap.gifwings.gif

But of course I have two questions:

1) Any suggestion on how to undo all the ones I have on my site already?
    2) Do I get my vote back on Uservoice?

I guess I have to update my signature to take this one off the list. rolleyes1.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I disagree. Adding the wrong things to keywords creates a big mess that is not easily fixable by the user. I had thousands of filename-generated junk keywords across hundreds of galleries that caused me to have to turn off all use of keywords on my site. And, it wasn't even worth trying to fix because every upload would pollute it more. Nearly all of my filenames conformed to a well known camera filename spec and could have easily been detected by software (of the form abc_1234.jpg) as coming straight from a camera.

I'm with jfriend 100% on this. You should NOT include filenames as keywords unless:

1) The user specifically enables this feature;

or

2) You develop code that checks to see if the filename conforms to common filename formats, or conforms to common keywords; AND the filenames have different keywords from file to file (so you don't confuse a filename prefix that occurs on all photos - such as the photographer's name or initials - with a "keyword").

I know a lot of people who never rename their photos, so they remain with the camera-provided name.

I know a lot more who rename adding the date and/or time to the filename. Most event photographers I know do this.

I know relatively few who put keywords in the filenames, and many of those who do also put keywords in the metadata. I bet that my personal experiences are not unusual, and that this applies to "most photographers". You can check your database to see if my suspicion is correct.

If I'm right, then, the people who upload the most photos generally don't keyword *only* in the filenames. If, by default, you add keywords from filenames, it causes the most chaos for the greatest number of your users.
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    ShikkerShikker Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 30, 2011
    Filenames in keywords for photos published from Lightroom has been bugging me for a really long time! I figured it was my error and that I would eventually figure it out, but after so long of not solving it, I came here today. I'm so relieved to find out that there is a setting to turn that off! Argh.

Shouldn't there be an option in the Lightroom Publishing Manager for this? That's where I've been looking. Seems logical.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    Hi Shikker and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif

Sorry to hear the keywords from filenames were bugging you. That's not a feature handled by uploaders as this is done on the SmugMug servers regardless of the uploader you use. Therefore you can only disable it in your control panel. The good news is that it will then be disabled regardless of what way you upload photos.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero