Options

Is it smart to jump ship to Nikon?

Comments

• Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    sorry if I confused anyone. the info on the link explained in detail. I guess I thought it was clear I was talking about the camera and not the lens.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    Jeremy, if I can make a suggestion:

All Canon DSLRs come with the excellent suite of software tools on the CD. The browser (or Imagebrowser—Mac) lets you show the focus mode (AI Servo or One Shot) and the focus point it used. How about showing us a screen capture from one of your bad shots which prove the focus problem using this method?

I'll have to track down the cd, the software doesn't work properly on my computer anymore. It crashes everytime I start it up. I have Vista x64, that may be why. It probably doesn't support 64 bit. I'll try to get it to work though.
    Jer
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    We have also had issues with Windows Vista 64 bit and other software programs. What were the "windows people" thinking?
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009

or.. should I sell my XSi body and a few lenses, and buy a nicer Canon Body, like a 40D, 50D or even a 5D mark II...

My friend has a D80, and his pictures end up looking way nicer than mine. And he doesn't even do photoshop work to it.

It's in the hands. Really get to know your tools. They will reward your time and effort. Some of my best shots ever were with my old XTi and 50mm f/1.4.

PS: the spendier bodies only get LOUDER.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    We have also had issues with Windows Vista 64 bit and other software programs. What were the "windows people" thinking?
    Well, its not their fault, its software developers' fault for not supporting it.

Heres one of the pictures, granted I was in Auto mode, because I didn't feel like messing around with manual settings at the time. But you can clearly see that Canon, which was intended on being in focus, was clearly not, and instead the camera slightly focused on the shutter release buttons on the bat grip.

453127170_nsPMh-XL.jpg

One of the downsides and upsides to using a 32" HDTV as your monitor is that windows become huge. I should recapture with the window smaller, but I'm too lazy and you can still see the camera settings.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    It's in the hands. Really get to know your tools. They will reward your time and effort. Some of my best shots ever were with my old XTi and 50mm f/1.4.

PS: the spendier bodies only get LOUDER.

Yes, but their shutter noise isn't SHIIINNG, its a deep click. and i love that sound and would much prefer a very loud deep click over a high pitched shing any day.

Also the 50mm f/1.4 is waaay better than the 50mm f/1.8 that I have...
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Heres one of the pictures, granted I was in Auto mode, because I didn't feel like messing around with manual settings at the time. But you can clearly see that Canon, which was intended on being in focus, was clearly not, and instead the camera slightly focused on the shutter release buttons on the bat grip.

You look awfully close. Again, I would question if you were below the minimum focusing distance. Auto mode, I believe, chooses focus mode for you, and according to your ZoomBrowser, DOESN'T tell you if it was in AI SERVO.

-edit. It wouldn't be solid red unless it had locked on something. Could you have moved slightly?
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Also, I have not been able to take more than 2 consecutive pictures in a row. I keep reading that the xsi can take 3.5 frames a second, and it can take 75 pictures in a row... and I haven't been able to do this. Maybe my SD card isn't fast enough. 8GB Sandisk Extreme II 15 mb/s. I would think I could take more than 2 pictures in a row even with that. Is there a setting I need to change?

again, showing that I dont know as much as I thought I did.
    Jer
  • Options
    Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Also, I have not been able to take more than 2 consecutive pictures in a row. I keep reading that the xsi can take 3.5 frames a second, and it can take 75 pictures in a row... and I haven't been able to do this. Maybe my SD card isn't fast enough. 8GB Sandisk Extreme II 15 mb/s. I would think I could take more than 2 pictures in a row even with that. Is there a setting I need to change?

quote]

Noise reduction will slow down the frame rate, as it's taking/comparing two shots at a time.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    You look awfully close. Again, I would question if you were below the minimum focusing distance. Auto mode, I believe, chooses focus mode for you, and according to your ZoomBrowser, DOESN'T tell you if it was in AI SERVO.

-edit. It wouldn't be solid red unless it had locked on something. Could you have moved slightly?

I was zoomed in at 35mm, with my elbows resting on the arms of my chair, I was about 2 feet away. And I believe the min focus distance for my lens is .89 Feet. Cause its a "Macro" zoom lens. the promaster 17-50mm f/2.8 lens...
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009

again, showing that I dont know as much as I thought I did.

erm... are you talking about changing the drive from single to continuous? (sorry don't mean to be presumptuous)
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    Noise reduction will slow down the frame rate, as it's taking/comparing two shots at a time.

HA! wow, I just took 300 pictures in about 40 seconds... lol ... ok so that problem is fixed.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    erm... are you talking about changing the drive from single to continuous? (sorry don't mean to be presumptuous)

No lol... I'm not that dumb.
    Jer
  • Options
    bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Ok, so people have provided many solutions and everytime, I notice that you have more issues with your camera. I feel that you have already made up your mind and are now looking for others to help justify it.

You really want a Nikon, that is my take on things. In your mind, you have purchased an inferior product and that will be something that is going to play with you for the life of this camera. You are irritated shooting with it, which takes away the fun and enjoyment of photography.

I would just say buy the new camera and sell this one. You have already convinced yourself to get a new camera!!

Good luck
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    No lol... I'm not that dumb.

Sorry, had to ask.:D
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    bosco0633 wrote:
    I would just say buy the new camera and sell this one. You have already convinced yourself to get a new camera!!

2 questions: how and what.

How do I sell it without getting screwed over?

And

What new camera should I get? are you saying get a new Nikon? or get a new 40D or 50D?

I need to be able to have the money in hand and have the new camera the same day I get rid of my old camera. Because I have customers that need their pictures taken and I cant have a gap where I dont have a camera to take their pictures.
    Jer
  • Options
    Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    You really need a 50D. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=116471

mwink.gif

Make me an offer I can't refuse.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Shootin1st wrote:
    You really need a 50D. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=116471

mwink.gif

Make me an offer I can't refuse.

Offer PM'd... Doubt you'll accept it though.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    I thought that this entire thread was about you asking about jumping over to Nikon??????

You were asking about jumping over, you liked your friends D80, you were not happy with your current camera, then people gave you ideas how to fix some of your issues, then you wanted to go to a 40d or 50d.

I just dont see what this thread is all about to tell you the truth. What do you want to do???
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    bosco0633 wrote:
    I thought that this entire thread was about you asking about jumping over to Nikon??????

You were asking about jumping over, you liked your friends D80, you were not happy with your current camera, then people gave you ideas how to fix some of your issues, then you wanted to go to a 40d or 50d.

I just dont see what this thread is all about to tell you the truth. What do you want to do???

It was, but I was convinced otherwise, so unless I find someone that is willing to purchase all of my Canon equipment, thats not going to happen.

So, like you suggested I'm going to try to sell my current body, and get a better canon body. AKA a 40D or 50D... but I cant get one unless someone either A. wants to trade for my equipment, or B. wants to buy my equipment so I can buy that new camera.

Or, if someone wants to switch from Nikon over to Canon, I'll trade my equipment for their equipment.

Since when does a thread have to have a purpose? cant people just talk?ne_nau.gif

Edit: sweet... 100th post!!
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    forsure all threads dont need a purpose, I just must have missed the post that you were going to just stay put with what you had.

Hopefully it all works out for you
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    I've never heard of Canon building in a custom function that fixes a back-focusing lens! rolleyes1.gif

The 50D can.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    ok, well... I guess I cant sell my camera. so that plan went straight out the window.

I guess I'll just have to save up for it... $150 every two weeks minus $100 every month... hmm I should be able to get it in ohh.... 6-10 months... PERFECT... just when I want it. (extreme sarcasm right there if you didn't pick it up :smack)

anyone want to donate money to my camera fund?mwink.gif theres about $70 in there right now and I need waaaay more than that.
    Jer
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    The 50D can.

Is it really a fix for a truly back-focusing lens, though? I was thinking it was more of a refinement procedure for lenses that were at least mostly doing their job. ne_nau.gif Either way, it sounds like a nifty feature.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    deal.gif
    ok, well... I guess I cant sell my camera. so that plan went straight out the window.

I guess I'll just have to save up for it... $150 every two weeks minus $100 every month... hmm I should be able to get it in ohh.... 6-10 months... PERFECT... just when I want it. (extreme sarcasm right there if you didn't pick it up :smack)

anyone want to donate money to my camera fund?mwink.gif theres about $70 in there right now and I need waaaay more than that.

This thread is too strange.

You have "proved" that the camera is faulty, right down to the shutter sound, and now you want to offload it onto some other poor guy? eek7.gifheadscratch.gif

Surely it should be returned, together with your " evidence" , to Canon, for a refund.headscratch.gifdeal.gif There's some money for the passage to Nikon.

• Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Is it really a fix for a truly back-focusing lens, though? I was thinking it was more of a refinement procedure for lenses that were at least mostly doing their job. ne_nau.gif Either way, it sounds like a nifty feature.

Yeah, it's called "micro-adjustment", and most people who have used it in the forums seem to take that to mean fine tuning of AF, rather than correcting a lens-body calibration problem.

Like you I think it's a very desirable feature.

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    If you have focus and noise problems because of your camera ... get a better camera. Simple as that.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Any thought about sending your body and the lens to Canon to have them checked out? I suspect a minor focus adjustment would really make a big difference in your shots. Write them a letter explaining that you just realized this problem. It should be a minor adjustment that they should cover under warranty.

As to the sound of the shutter bothering you, I can't comment on that.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Any thought about sending your body and the lens to Canon to have them checked out? I suspect a minor focus adjustment would really make a big difference in your shots. Write them a letter explaining that you just realized this problem. It should be a minor adjustment that they should cover under warranty.

As to the sound of the shutter bothering you, I can't comment on that.

yes, but if I send it in, then I wont have a camera for... 2-6 weeks. Could I take it back to best buy. I got the 4 year Geek Squad warranty, which covers pretty much everything. And they'll give me a new camera instead of fixing mine. Now I just gotta find that dang reciept:cry.

Also, NeilL, how would I go about returning my camera to Canon? never heard of anyone doing this.

Also, I haven't sent in my warranty card... could I still send it in for calibration and stuff?
    Jer
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    yes, but if I send it in, then I wont have a camera for... 2-6 weeks. Could I take it back to best buy. I got the 4 year Geek Squad warranty, which covers pretty much everything. And they'll give me a new camera instead of fixing mine.

I highly doubt Best Buy will just give you a new camera. If you are under your 1 year Canon warranty, your best bet is to send the camera and a lens to Canon with examples of the focus issues you are having. They will calibrate your camera and/or lens.

You have to just suck it up and do this. You have a decent camera, it is just not working correctly.

As to not having a camera for a few weeks, this is an example of why pro photographers always have backup equipment. You are fortunate that you are not a pro with a big event coming up. Just think of how happy you will be when your camera returns from Canon fully calibrated and sharp as a tack.thumb.gif