DSC_0227.jpg

About $500,000 worth of new ZR1's
    DSC_0050.jpg

the rest can be seen here:
    http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/roccityroller/Dreamcruise%2008/
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Here's a little taste of my car. A VERY bad audio recording or what happens when you combine redneck with German engineering. http://fastfreefilehosting.com/file/7737/Untitled-wma.html

It was made by my laptop mic, which couldn't handle the bass of when I got to the rear muffler, but this gives an idea. I'll actually be changing out the existing 5x10x22 muffler with a 4x8x22 to make a flush mount, so it'll get even louder once I get the funds together.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 26, 2008
    Here's a little taste of my car. A VERY bad audio recording or what happens when you combine redneck with German engineering. http://fastfreefilehosting.com/file/7737/Untitled-wma.html

It was made by my laptop mic, which couldn't handle the bass of when I got to the rear muffler, but this gives an idea. I'll actually be changing out the existing 5x10x22 muffler with a 4x8x22 to make a flush mount, so it'll get even louder once I get the funds together.
    linky no workie... but I have a good mental picture.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 27, 2008
    In the middle of the page the link goes to, there should be a clickable icon that says please wait and counts down from 10 then says "Download!"
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2008
    In the middle of the page the link goes to, there should be a clickable icon that says please wait and counts down from 10 then says "Download!"
    Yeah, I didn't mean it's not there, it doesn't work. I get a server error message.
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 27, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah, I didn't mean it's not there, it doesn't work. I get a server error message.

Is there a way to host it on my smugmug?
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2008
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    tsk1979 wrote:
    393298581_Sbhrs-Th.jpg
    pretty stars (all of them) thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    tsk1979 wrote:
    393298581_Sbhrs-Th.jpg

REally nice shot......and a congrats on the new edition!!!

DrIt.........What is the red and blue bands up and to the right of the rear of the SUV?? Just kinda figgered you'd know since got that PHD in Physics........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:

DrIt.........What is the red and blue bands up and to the right of the rear of the SUV?? Just kinda figgered you'd know since got that PHD in Physics........

Are you talking about the lens flare from the tail lights?

Lots of hot pixels in there too.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:

It's a UFO, of course! :D

(in other words: i don't know ne_nau.gif - but its not the tail lights, its higher than that and at a different angle)
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    Thanks fella, I would like to assume its the lens flare.
    I have a shot without flare
    393312927_kLiYK-L.jpg
    And one just in moonlight
    392384985_Mhvzi-L.jpg
    And a day shot
    393674010_jhNbj-L.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    No not lens flare
    I knew it wasn't lens flare as it is at the wrong angle to any main light source for that.......
    and your second seriers is really nice also......the reason your not seeing it in any of the other photos could be:
    1- you changed the camera angle away from it
    2- must be really dark to see it

You really should enhance that part of the photo to bring it out and make it look as if it is pointing at your SUV.......astro anomalies are sooo coool.

Ohhhhh the wonders of the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE and INDIA.............................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 24, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I knew it wasn't lens flare as it is at the wrong angle to any main light source for that.......
    and your second seriers is really nice also......the reason your not seeing it in any of the other photos could be:
    1- you changed the camera angle away from it
    2- must be really dark to see it

You really should enhance that part of the photo to bring it out and make it look as if it is pointing at your SUV.......astro anomalies are sooo coool.

Ohhhhh the wonders of the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE and INDIA.............................
    India is in the Northern Hemisphere :D
    As for the anomaly, can you point to what exactly you are talking about... From what I see, it appears to be flare + some hot pixels!
    I took a lot of photos that night, but most of them were ruined due to mist formation on camera lens. I was stupid not to think of that.... Well there is always the next time!
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    tsk1979 wrote:
    India is in the Northern Hemisphere :D
    As for the anomaly, can you point to what exactly you are talking about... From what I see, it appears to be flare + some hot pixels!
    I took a lot of photos that night, but most of them were ruined due to mist formation on camera lens. I was stupid not to think of that.... Well there is always the next time!

The 'Anomaly' is getting bigger......Check your original and see what you've got to work with.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2008
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    A couple of vintage shots from my college roommate. He used to work on the McLaren F1 team for a summer internship...

419064896_3Sa4B-L.jpg

428999734_Ept6N-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2008
    dugmar wrote:
    A couple of vintage shots from my college roommate. He used to work on the McLaren F1 team for a summer internship...
    too cool nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    too cool nod.gif

Are you back in this hemisphere?
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    dugmar wrote:
    Are you back in this hemisphere?
    I am, and although its raining, I'm loving the warm temps today!! wave.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 8, 2009
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    beast indeed nod.gif

Now, if only someone would donate $6000 so I could have quaife make me a 3.07:1 to replace the non-limited-slip 2.47:1.

I can do a 3.07 non-limited slip without spending too much money, but given that the car breaks loose on the 1-2 shift and depending on how cold the air is sometimes on the 2-3 shift, I think that would be ill advised.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    Ever wonder why they call some mechanics grease monkeys?
    http://davidson.smugmug.com/gallery/7079920_P8pLY/1/#453770892_ec7tS-A-LB
    I don't get it, where's the monkey?
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I don't get it, where's the monkey?

It's me, banging on the idle control unit like a chimpanzee (that ain't working that's the way you do it...)

Speaking of not being able to see what's going on, is there some camera that's inexpensive, can shoot video (quite frankly I don't care about its ability to shoot stills), smallish, and can take better video than this thing my friend was using?
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    It's me, banging on the idle control unit like a chimpanzee (that ain't working that's the way you do it...)

Speaking of not being able to see what's going on, is there some camera that's inexpensive, can shoot video (quite frankly I don't care about its ability to shoot stills), smallish, and can take better video than this thing my friend was using?
    No clue, but you know we have a video forum now, right? Pop a post in there deal.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    Anybody have any thoughts on the following tires:

Hankook Ventus RS-2 in 245/45-16
    Fuzion ZRi in 245/45-16
    Yokohama ES100 in 245/45-16

the following are all 245/50-16
    Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
    Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval
    Kelly Fierce UHP
    Cooper Zeon XS2
    Bridgestone RE960AS

Right now I've got 245/50-16 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the car. My biggest complaint is the sidewalls are too soft (give too much when turning), but also I could always use more grip.

As it is the car understeers a touch, but is close to balanced. I'm thinking about going to 225/whatever aspect ratio I have in the rear on the front - my thinking is while narrower up front will increase understeer, the smaller overall diameter will increase the rake and counter that - thoughts? The goal of that would be reduced drag (both aero and rolling resistance).

245/50 and 245/45 are both close to my speedo (/50 is 1.4% too big /45 is 2.4% too small, both are close enough). If any of those 245/45 tires are just as good as the best 245/50 tire, I'd choose the 245/45 to get that little bit more acceleration.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    As it is the car understeers a touch, but is close to balanced. I'm thinking about going to 225/whatever aspect ratio I have in the rear on the front - my thinking is while narrower up front will increase understeer, the smaller overall diameter will increase the rake and counter that - thoughts?
    My Veh Dyn textbook is in storage, and I'm a bit rusty, but I'm pretty sure I disagree that it will "counter" itself that nicely. My thinking is you will feel the understeer effects and not get much back from your rake change.

Yes, less grip up front will increase understeer.

Yes, increased rake induce oversteer.

But, for the fraction of an inch change in diameter, you're going to see very little change in rake. Well, depending on the geometry, with which I'm totally unfamiliar. Also, and more importantly, such a slight change would really only be noticeable at very high loads, such as on an autoX, where you would be heavily loading the front of the car, thus seeing geometry effects of rake and toe-in (or any other bump steer effects).

In other words, if you already have a good neutral feel, and an accurate speedo, I wouldn't F with it.

And I know nothing about specific tires, sorry. Been out of that game for a long time.
    Erik