Options

The Car Talk Thread

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited January 12, 2010 in The Big Picture
Old thread, here:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26542

Let's have a new one, mkay? I apologize to Dragon and the forum, for the poor attitude of the previous thread's author.

So, last we looked, on matters of import (!), where were we?

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    where were we?

:cry our brand new spanker Golf with every panel on the left banged in :cry
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    gus wrote:
    :cry our brand new spanker Golf with every panel on the left banged in :cry

Laughing.gif gus well at least your taking it good and it's her first and not her 13th. But that still sucks. And I still need your email address cause you will like these photos I got.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Old thread, here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26542

Let's have a new one, mkay? I apologize to Dragon and the forum, for the poor attitude of the previous thread's author.

So, last we looked, on matters of import (!), where were we?

Laughing.gif um why was the thread restarted though? Am I missing something why am I getting apologized to?
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited July 11, 2006
    Hey, so I forgot to let you all in on the detail issue with the overspray. I decided to pay. $500 for 8 hours of labor to get it off. Chemical wouldn't take
    it off nor would blue clay. It's undergoing the complete gig tomorrow and will
    take red clay (more agressive). The small test patch came off and buffs out
    rather nicely.

I should shoot some before and afters.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DigiEyEDigiEyE Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Well here's a pic of my car with a little artistic twist.

76383155-L.jpg
    76383306-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Hey, so I forgot to let you all in on the detail issue with the overspray. I decided to pay. $500 for 8 hours of labor to get it off. Chemical wouldn't take
    it off nor would blue clay. It's undergoing the complete gig tomorrow and will
    take red clay (more agressive). The small test patch came off and buffs out
    rather nicely.

I should shoot some before and afters.

Ian

Good to hear your car is gonna be ok dude. Overspray sucks. thumb.gif
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    DigiEyE wrote:
    Well here's a pic of my car with a little artistic twist

Dude it's not nice to tease me like that. There won't be any new eps of Initial D till the manga gets farther ahead of the anime so it will prolly be another year before I get fresh ID. Then you go and through an ID teasher photo.... Not nice.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 11, 2006
    Dude it's not nice to tease me like that. There won't be any new eps of Initial D till the manga gets farther ahead of the anime so it will prolly be another year before I get fresh ID. Then you go and through an ID teasher photo.... Not nice.
    eek7.gifheadscratch.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    eek7.gifheadscratch.gif

So I like anime that involves cars so sue me.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    LoL, the funny thing is I have no idea about inital D, a few freinds told me my car looks like its from it and I just threw it up.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    DigiEyE wrote:
    LoL, the funny thing is I have no idea about inital D, a few freinds told me my car looks like its from it and I just threw it up.

Baka.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    LoL dont get angry, Im sure they will continue a show about anime cars rolleyes1.gif

Till then you will have to tide youself over with the real stuff...
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    DigiEyE wrote:
    LoL dont get angry, Im sure they will continue a show about anime cars rolleyes1.gif

Till then you will have to tide youself over with the real stuff...

Laughing.gif I make due with plenty of the real stuff but I needs my cartoons to relax..... :)

Thanks for the comment in my gallery but let me tell ya dude. If you think that blue 350Z looks sick on the outside you gotta see whats under the hood. That car is in florida and I shot it last time I was down there. The owner had just gotten it back after having the twin turbo kit from stillen installed, fat aZZ intercooler, sweet exhaust, intakes, computer upgrade, upgraded clutch.. That car was just freakin nuts. He also has a Z32 TT in his garage. The cars down there it was just amazing....
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    So I like anime that involves cars so sue me.
    See you in court. 1drink.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    See you in court. 1drink.gif

Laughing.gif Problem is Initial D is good but there is another manga that is still only available in the US via scanlations, called Wangan Midnight that they keep talking about doing an Anime of but they haven't come out with it yet. It would prolly sell more than ID if it was made. And the main car in it is a Zcar.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    Dragon...are you drinking red cordial ?

Ok (day 5)..got the quote this morning...$3300 :cry

81166763-L.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited July 12, 2006
    gus wrote:

Man, I'd be drinking something else...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Man, I'd be drinking something else...

AUS $ no doubt...though that's still like what $2400 US?
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 12, 2006
    gus wrote:

ouch. that's a tough crease in the rocker. feel for you man.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    Thanks for the comment in my gallery but let me tell ya dude. If you think that blue 350Z looks sick on the outside you gotta see whats under the hood. That car is in florida and I shot it last time I was down there. The owner had just gotten it back after having the twin turbo kit from stillen installed, fat aZZ intercooler, sweet exhaust, intakes, computer upgrade, upgraded clutch.. That car was just freakin nuts. He also has a Z32 TT in his garage. The cars down there it was just amazing....

Thats just disterbingly sick.... Did you get any other pics of it?

How fast are his 1/4 runs?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    DigiEyE wrote:

I don't have any photos, but somehow none of this stuff impresses me after seeing a guy with a 655ci indy legend aluminum block in a plymout duster with 1500 hp.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    gus wrote:

81166763-S.jpg
    New doors, new fenders - easy. but like Lee said - that rocker panel is f'ed up! That quote actually sounds pretty low to me.
    ne_nau.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    DigiEyE wrote:

No idea on his quarters. He doesn't run it on the strip. That car is built for one thing and one thing alone. His pure pleasure. I would not wanna go up against him on the street. And not really all the pictures of that car I took that I liked are posted on the site.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    I don't have any photos, but somehow none of this stuff impresses me after seeing a guy with a 655ci indy legend aluminum block in a plymout duster with 1500 hp.

Thats what seperates the true car guy from the novice. To a true car guy any car that is loved, and well taken care of is a a joy. Be it a duster putting down 1500hp or a 240SX perfectly balanced for drifting. The duster may be faster but it is no more impressive than that blue 350Z. They are both built with care, pride, and purpose. I'm sorry but the straight line doesn't do a think for me. Give me high speed corners, striaghts, traffic, and built car and I'm happy. Anyone can run a straight line (even if they aren't the fastest at it). Kinda like new cars, anyone can drive a new, and that just doesn't appeal to me.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    OK, so with the new thread, I'll jump in. For a good laugh (and proof that gearheads are nuts): http://mysite.verizon.net/project.frankenpinto

Going to pick up new body panels this weekend. It will be done...more-or-less...by October for GRM's Challenge.

BTW, Dragon, keeping this little monster IN a straight line is expected to be a handful. :uhoh
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    Thats what seperates the true car guy from the novice.

I don't think we should be laying down definitions of car guy, it'll just start a fight. For instance, I'd say no car guy drives a rice-burner (though a gearhead can, but it can't have more than 2 wheels). A car guy also definitley doesn't drive anything recent...I'd say 15 years or older is required (well there are still some cars that can be for car guys: Porsche except for the GT, Ferrari's can be but rarely are, and then some random little companies like Koenigsegg...the new Bugatti is definitley not for a car guy).

It's silly to say anybody can do a straight line by the way. Granted I enjoy the turns (in fact I agree with your statement "Give me high speed corners, striaghts, traffic, and built car and I'm happy," only I would remove the traffice and add hairpins), but try shifting as your lungs are being compressed. Anybody can drive a normal car in a straight line ok.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    New doors, new fenders - easy. but like Lee said - that rocker panel is f'ed up! That quote actually sounds pretty low to me.
    ne_nau.gif
    The assessor arrived last night. I told him i wanted it back as new & said the shop he sent us to for the quote is great & he said to expect it back 'as new'. They have already ordered 2 door skins from VW & That sill (you call it a rocker) is going to be cut out & replaced with new section. Said they will repaint almost the whole side of the car so nothing will be noticable.

Cheap ? Yeah well this is paradise you know.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    We were talking about car washing/waxing, too.

I ordered the P21s and One Grand products, they should be arriving today.

Over on priuschat.com a lot of folks are raving about Zaino products. Any experience with them?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    We were talking about car washing/waxing, too.

I ordered the P21s and One Grand products, they should be arriving today.

Over on priuschat.com a lot of folks are raving about Zaino products. Any experience with them?

The internet LOVES Zaino...me not so much. The internet loves all polymer based polished because they are easy to apply and last long. They don't give you any depth of shine though, and I'm not convinced of their protective abilities. The problem is there are no oils in a polymer polish (polish here not meant in the traditional sense, but meant as a subsitute for wax...there is no wax to speak of though so I call them polishes), and paint does need oils and it does dry if it doesn't get them. Polymer will make the water bead on your car for a LONG time, but I don't think it protects as well and it DEFINITLEY doesn't shine as well. If you hang around body shops enough you'll see they never use polymer anything. Same goes for clay bars, the internet loves them, but those are for removing overspray, not for cleaning the paint.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2006
    ...and paint does need oils and it does dry if it doesn't get them. Polymer will make the water bead on your car for a LONG time, but I don't think it protects as well and it DEFINITLEY doesn't shine as well.
    As you well know, I'm no detailing fanatic, but I do know a thing or two about polymers.

So as we discussed before, modern paints are no longer the deep shine organic-solvent (oil) base formulations of old. Instead we have much friendlier and cheaper aqueous (water) base paints. Now Richard says that paints need oils rather than polymers, and I'm wondering: why? I'm confused because it seems the same old materials that worked so well on organic paints are supposed to work as well on aqueous paints? Wouldn't it make more sense that aqueous polymer-based paints would prefer and respond better to suitably formulated polymer-based care products?

ne_nau.gif

So since part of my funding comes from nanotechnology work, this stuff is particularly intriguing - what do you think of the new EagleOne Nanowax? The concept there is simple - smaller particles are better to fill voids and create a smooth top surface to reflect light more evenly. This is a sound idea, although, it has to be polymer based.
    Erik