Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #27: Singular or Plural (Exclusive Black and White Challenge)

Comments

• Options
    creativedeviancecreativedeviance Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 10, 2009
    I finally posted an image for the DGrin challenge. Woohoo! I've been wanting to do this for a while, but life has been too hectic.

~Kelly
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    I finally posted an image for the DGrin challenge. Woohoo! I've been wanting to do this for a while, but life has been too hectic.

~Kelly

clap.gif Welcome to Dgrin! clap.gif

You'll find entering Challenges to be quite addictive!
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Kelly, and all other newcomers...welcome!

Now who has a joke or something to tell me to keep me from twiddling my thumbs right off? eek7.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Welcome, Kelly! Hope you have a grand time here in the challenges. thumb.gif

Em...uh, I got nothin', sorry. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Welcome, Kelly! Hope you have a grand time here in the challenges. thumb.gif

Em...uh, I got nothin', sorry. mwink.gif

Awww...somebody tell a joke for Kerry QUICK! Screw the judges - keep the Mod happy at all costs!!!
    Emily

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Awww...somebody tell a joke for Kerry QUICK! Screw the judges - keep the Mod happy at all costs!!!

Well, there's non-challenge discussion in Hoofie's Tail thread... er...

It works better aloud than written, but what the heck - here's my very favorite (over)intellectual joke:

A baker, musician, librarian and English teacher got off the train at King's Cross [ed note: London red light district] and saw a group of, uh, women standing on the corner.

"I wonder what the collective noun is for ladies of the night?", they mused.

The baker spoke up first: "I know," he said, "it's 'a jam of tarts'"

Not to be outdone, the musician chimed in with "No, no - it's 'flourish of strumpets'!"

The librarian added his own, suggesting "a volume of trollop[e]s".

They agreed this was the best so far when the English teacher stopped suddenly and said, "No, no, my friends - there can be no question. Surely it's 'An anthology of English pros[e]'"

Ba-dum-ching... tip your waiter, I'm here all week!
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009

A mushroom walks into a bar and takes a seat.

The bartender looks over and yells "HEY! Get out! We don't serve your kind around here!"

The poor little mushroom responds "Why not?!... I'm a fun-gi!"

:D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Well, there's non-challenge discussion in Hoofie's Tail thread... er...

It works better aloud than written, but what the heck - here's my very favorite (over)intellectual joke:

A baker, musician, librarian and English teacher got off the train at King's Cross [ed note: red light district] and saw a group of, uh, women standing on the corner.

"I wonder what the collective noun is for ladies of the night?", they mused.

The baker spoke up first: "I know," he said, "it's 'a jam of tarts'"

Not to be outdone, the musician chimed in with "No, no - it's 'flourish of strumpets'!"

The librarian added his own, suggesting "a volume of trollop[e]s".

They agreed this was the best so far when the English teacher stopped suddenly and said, "No, no, my friends - there can be no question. Surely it's 'An anthology of English pros[e]'"

Ba-dum-ching... tip your waiter, I'm here all week!

That's a lot better than my slightly more lowbrow humor:

"Guess what?

RHINO BUTT!"

558487462_JPrQr-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Kelly, and all other newcomers...welcome!

Now who has a joke or something to tell me to keep me from twiddling my thumbs right off? eek7.gif

You mean to tell us that you haven't been enjoying looking at the current entries in the gallery so far? rolleyes1.gif
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    I'm happy, I swear! Just bogged down a bit and a little brain-dead from the exhaustion. Hence no jokes leapt to mind for ya'. My quadruple coffee can only do so much... :twitch
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Brownies
    I already tried that guys,,, with brownies.. no luck.. she is hard to please..eek7.gifhuheek7.gif

Maybe try talking to her about what she loves...

So, Kerry,, what is the next artistic shoot you have planned..? Love what's in your gallery... so whatcha got up your sleeve for the next one? What will the theme be? And where do you get all these models for your shoots? are you giving them brownies to bribe them into hours of no, pose again,, nope that was not what I wanted, try it again.. wait,, the lights all wrong, pose again....................headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gifscratch:D

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    No shoots in the immediate future as I'm preparing to head out of the country in a few weeks and won't have time to process model shots before I leave. :D Most of the models contact me for mutually beneficial portfolio goodness, so no bribes needed. deal.gif
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Well isn't that convenient....mwink.gif

My brother's wife is an ex model.. I want to try and get her to work with me sometime in the future... I have seen a lot of snow white endeavors, especially on diviantart, and I really want to try and pull one of those off one day.... rolleyes1.gif

Have a safe journey...Katthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    Hi Kerry,

I just uploaded my entry but for some reason its size was reduced more than it normally gets reduced. I saved it like I always do, 800 pixels along the longest side. It came out OK under my own gallery as you can see it if you click on the Exif link that I have provided under the caption. Any idea why the size of the uploaded version got reduced like this?

my entry is called "One Basket of Flowers for Every Fallen Hero"
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    I just uploaded my entry but for some reason its size was reduced more than it normally gets reduced.

How odd. The photo wasn't reduced, but for some reason wasn't filling the SmugMug "frame." It also affected the entry after yours. Looks like it was just a glitch, and I've fixed both entries, but I'll keep an eye on it to see if it's something bigger.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    How odd. The photo wasn't reduced, but for some reason wasn't filling the SmugMug "frame." It also affected the entry after yours. Looks like it was just a glitch, and I've fixed both entries, but I'll keep an eye on it to see if it's something bigger.

:patch :s85 :patch
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for fixing it. It is funny because I fixed a minor thing in my photo and uploaded a new version and it did it again. I would appreciate it if you could fix this one too, thank you!
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    Hi Kerry,

Thanks for fixing it. It is funny because I fixed a minor thing in my photo and uploaded a new version and it did it again. I would appreciate it if you could fix this one too, thank you!

Could you humor me and try a different uploader? And let me know which uploader you used for the past two images? It will help pinpoint where we need to look for the issue.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Could you humor me and try a different uploader? And let me know which uploader you used for the past two images? It will help pinpoint where we need to look for the issue.
    I used the simple uploader (the drag and drop one) like I always do. The thing is it works when I upload it under my personal galleries (doing it the same exact way), for some reason it's just the DSS gallery that is giving it problems.
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    I used the simple uploader (the drag and drop one) like I always do. The thing is it works when I upload it under my personal galleries (doing it the same exact way), for some reason it's just the DSS gallery that is giving it problems.

Huh, when I uploaded mine today I couldn't get the simple uploader to work at all. Figured it was just me... probably was.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    Have there been more entries before than there are in this round? I am still fairly new to Dgrin, but it looks like this round has drawn more people than the previous challenges have (north of 70 so far). This is good news! thumb.gif
    Allen Parseghian

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Have there been more entries before than there are in this round? I am still fairly new to Dgrin, but it looks like this round has drawn more people than the previous challenges have (north of 70 so far). This is good news! thumb.gif

Indeed!

I think the numbers have been a little lower than usual lately, but it would seem things are picking up again :D

A quick look into the entry galleries/threads and previous discussions gave me:

round 8 (weathered or polished): 91 entries
    round 14 (still life)(SOOC): 88 entries
    round 9 (dusk or dawn)(SOOC): 83 entries
    round 20 (chaos or serenity)(B&W): 82 entries
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2009

Oh wow...well that ought to make judging even tougher! eek7.gif:D
    Emily

• Options
    edited June 14, 2009
    Folks seem to really turn out for the B&W and SOOC rounds. Hm... naughty.gif
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Damn it - so busy and didn't read this until today last day

I keep thinking - "There can be only one!" but i'm not sure how i can get a photo with a whole lot of decapitated people in it - well certainly not one straight out of camera mwink.gif alas my PS skills are not up to it

btw - Pratchett rules clap.gif
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Folks seem to really turn out for the B&W and SOOC rounds. Hm... naughty.gif

Hey! Colour composites are good fun. :D

Not saying there shouldn't be any of these special rounds, in fact, I'd like to see tonings when monochrome comes around again.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    And another great round comes to an end. Stay tuned! :D
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    Eight DQs this round. That hurts. :cry

Stripped EXIF or "Date Taken" missing from EXIF: ClaireJ, Frenchfx, dreamcometrue, and Sunita.

Taken outside the challenge period: busrama1, JenH2008, and LisaRhinehart.

And an anonymous entry, taken outside the challenge period:
    560968697_mKQEo-Th.jpg

I highly recommend rolling over your image after you upload it to a challenge gallery and clicking "Photo Info" to ensure your EXIF is showing correctly.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Oh noooooo. :cry:cry

I hate to see entries get disqualified.

And so many this time. ne_nau.gif

It is absolutely the hardest way to learn the rules.

Hope everyone comes back for the next challenge. We want everyone's entries!!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    Well, every so often things cross the line and other times they stand right on it, precariously, or even tow it a little. We've long had the guideline here in the challenges that no nudity is allowed and anything implied would be handled case by case by your beloved mods (ahem). The guideline that's been posted in several threads and answered repeatedly in PMs is "If it belongs in the Go Figure forum, it does not belong in the challenges."

After much discussion, MikeyRocks's entry will be disqualified. Please note that personally we do not have an issue with the image; in fact, it's part of why we created the Go Figure forum here on DGrin. If this image had been posted in the People forum, we would have moved it into Go Figure.

Because this question has come up several times, we've upgraded the guideline to a rule and updated the rules accordingly. We'll still make the call case by case when needed, but hopefully this update will help in the future.