AlbumFetcher - Download multiple galleries w/ embedded captions and keywords

Comments

• WIttzzzWIttzzz Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Do you have any firewall software that might be interfering? If I remember correctly, the login goes out via https, while the guest might not. I'm grasping at straws, though.

Thanks so much for you help.. Not sure what is going on. I have turned off firewall protection but still no luck.
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    WIttzzz wrote:
    Thanks so much for you help.. Not sure what is going on. I have turned off firewall protection but still no luck.

Stick the app on a flash drive and give it a go from another PC when convenient. That will at least tell you whether your regular PC (versus your acct) is part of the issue. Sorry you're having such trouble...
  • SperendSperend Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Other folks seem to not be having that problem, so let's see... What platform are you running on?

Vista. A friend of mine has the same problem. Don't know what he is using.
  • donutzdonutz Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2009
    WIttzzz wrote:
    I get the following error in the log

Internet Exception: 12016

When I run the api url as it appears in the log I get a good return.

Download failed on file https://api.smugmug.com/services/api/rest/1.2.1/?method=smugmug.login.withPassword&APIKey=gcmpLhfmdqnLIjmn5FyT5ELQcc01VObf&EmailAddress=xxxx@gmail.com&Password=xxxxxxi. Received Internet Exception: 12016
    Removed email and password.

Any ideas
    same error here, xp pro. i haven't used albumfetcher in months. My guess is maybe a windows update changed something that affects the program?
  • donutzdonutz Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2009
    donutz wrote:
    same error here, xp pro. i haven't used albumfetcher in months. My guess is maybe a windows update changed something that affects the program?
    Just tried AlbumFetcher on my wife's laptop, and it works there. XP home, with 15 updates waiting to be applied (Windows & Office). Whether one of those is to blame or not, don't know yet!
  • agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Are you able to get any galleries downloaded at all? I suppose I'm asking whether the problem is general, or specific to some set of circumstances.
    AlbumFetcher 0.3.3 works fine on my desktop w/XP Home and laptop w/ XP Pro with latest Microsoft updates. No problem downloading albums as Owner. Might verify that internet security firewall rules for AllbumFetcher are set to allow Outbound direction for TCP and UDP. Just a thought.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • sagarsagar Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Is tool removed from the original location? I couldn't find application anywhere :(
  • agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    sagar wrote:
    Is tool removed from the original location? I couldn't find application anywhere :(
    Try this link for latest V0.3.3. It is on post #1.

Oops. Sorry. Link doesn't apparently work any more. Don't know what happened to it.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
    edited April 25, 2009
    sagar wrote:

Whoops - sorry folks. Hosting changed. It's now moved to drop.io. I'll update the first post, too.

App
    Source
  • sagarsagar Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2009
  • t0mt0mt0mt0m Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 1, 2009
    At first I must say a big thank you for this nice tool! It helped me a lot downloading local fotos I lost during a HD crash from SmugMug.

For some fotos I get an exception and the prog crashed as mentioned in a post before. So I took a look at the sources (thx for sharing this with the community) and hopefully found the solution for this crash. Some photos I uploaded with my iPhone have no filename so the CFile tries to open the base folder as a file and tries to write to this and finally it crashes... (s. attachement)

So I finally made some changes to the code (http.cpp, around line 226)
    CFile f;
    CFileException ex;
    if (!f.Open(strTargetPath, CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeWrite, &ex))
    {
        CString tmpOutPath = strTargetPath;
        CString tmp = szUrl;
        TRACE("Can't open file %s, error = %u\n", strTargetPath, ex.m_cause);
        // probably no filename, so get original filename from smugmug url
        tmpOutPath.Append(tmp.Right(tmp.GetLength() - (tmp.ReverseFind('/') + 1)));
        f.Open(tmpOutPath, CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeWrite, NULL);
    }

I hope you don't feel offended :) I know, my code is not the cleanest and there are maybe some problems under certain circumstances, but it works for a quick fix made in 5 mins. ;)

Maybe it helps you a bit...
    Feel free to contact me via email regarding this fix or if you're still looking for some help making this great tool cross plattform.

Greetings and keep up with the good work!

Tom
  • SasquachSasquach Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 6, 2009
    Album Fetcher fails if gallery has more than 250 photos
    I'm trying to find a way for others to download an entire gallery while I'm on the road. It would sure beat overnighting a CD.
    wellman wrote:
    **Mac User? Go here.**

I'm pleased to announce the release of AlbumFetcher! AlbumFetcher is a little pet project of mine which I've decided to make freely available to the SmugMug community. I've received amazing amounts of help (and ideas) through these forums, and this my way of saying thanks. It's a simple little app that serves two main functions:

1. Download one or many SmugMug galleries at once
    2. Embed captions and keywords into your downloaded images' IPTC headers

AlbumFetcher should run on Win2000, WinXP and above. It has been reported to run under Wine on Linux and through Parallels on a Mac. It's a single file, so it's easily portable and doesn't need to be installed. AlbumFetcher is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This DGrin thread will be the project's home page. Feedback is extremely appreciated, and if there are bugs and/or other issues (as there always are), please let me know here. This is a hobby, so I can't hope to live up to SmugMug's standard of customer service, but I will try to help you out if you're having an issue with the software. One word of caution - beware of the total number of bytes you download. You could easily run up against your monthly bandwith limit.

Again, this is yours to use forever for free. However, if you're a fan of my little app and feel so inclined, you can send me the electronic equivalent of the adult beverage of your choice here. mwink.gif

Enjoy!
    -Greg

Current version: v0.3.3 - Application | Source

How Does it Work?
    1. Download AlbumFetcher (zip file) with the link above.
    2. Use WinZip or your favorite zip program to extract AlbumFetcher.exe (the program) to the folder of your choice (maybe the desktop).
    3. Double-click the AlbumFetcher program icon.
    4. If you're an account owner: In the top-right corner, enter your SmugMug ID and password. If you're a guest: Switch the login type selector to Guest. Then enter the SmugMug ID of the account you'd like to work with. You'll only have access to listed public galleries. (SmugMug ID means either your email address which is registered with SmugMug or the yourname part of yourname.smugmug.com. Your ID and password go directly to SmugMug; there's nobody listening in between.)
    5. Click List Albums. A listing of all your albums will appear.
    6. In the Download Options box (on the right), pick a folder to save albums to. Also pick the image sizes and other options as you wish.
    7. Click the list to select albums for download. Use Ctrl-clicking or Shift-clicking to select more than one.
    8. Click Fetch Albums. AlbumFetcher will now download your requested albums at the size you specified.
    9. Have a tasty beverage.

UPDATE, Nov 14 2006:
    I've incorporated some of Pat Kane's requests and some improvements of my own into v0.2. New features include:
    1. Datetime stamp for each line in log file
    2. Files with same original name are now handled successfully (an underscore is prepended to the second file's name).
    3. Users can optionally skip over previously downloaded images (helpful when a download fails and you want to start over, but not re-download all the successful images).
    4. Category/subcategory info is shown as a field in the list control.
    5. A thumbnail of the image currently being downloaded is displayed.
    6. Total time statistics are recorded when a job is completed successfully.
    7. MD5 hashes are now compared. Files that fail the comparison are left alone, but a note is made in the log file.
    Again, enjoy! :D
    -Greg

UPDATE, Nov 16 2006:
    Pat Kane pointed out a bug in the folder selector, which is now fixed. Current version is now 0.2.1. Thanks, Pat! :D

UPDATE, Jan 11 2008:
    I'm pleased to announce the release of AlbumFetcher v0.3. There are several improvements in this release. Read on for details.
    1. Multiple login options - Users may now login to SmugMug as account owner, guest, or guest with site password. If you're uncomfortable with other people being able to bulk-download your images, set your external linking option (in gallery customization) to "No."
    2. Album-level password support - Guests may download password-protected galleries (with the proper password of course).
    3. Selectable image size for download - Choose which size you want! AlbumFetcher will find the next largest available if logged in as guest and requested size is not available.
    4. Video support - Choose which size you want! AlbumFetcher will find the next largest available if logged in as guest and requested size is not available. Support is also included for legacy mpeg-1 videos.
    5. As inspired by SmugMug, AlbumFetcher is stretchy!
    6. No more runtime errors - (Fingers crossed.) AlbumFetcher has essentially been completely rewritten. I found a few scenarios that caused the app to crash during my development process, and they've been eliminated. I've successfully downloaded thousands of images while testing. Let me know if you still have runtime problems.

UPDATE, Jan 12 2008:
    Scott Walter pointed out a bug which caused the app to crash when downloading GIFs, which is now fixed. Current version is now 0.3.1. Thanks, Scott! :D

UPDATE, Jan 29 2008:
    A few people were having similar issues. Basically AlbumFetcher was bombing out if it tried to download an image which was missing (for whatever rare reason) on SmugMug. This is now handled more gracefully in new Version 0.3.2 (link above) - AlbumFetcher will stop the download and report the error (instead of crashing).

UPDATE, Mar 3 2008:
    AlbumFetcher is now compatible with SmugMug's security changes (use of keys).

UPDATE, Dec 15 2008:
    It's been a pleasure over the past two years to see AlbumFetcher become a useful little download utility for members of the SmugMug family. The users of AlbumFetcher deserve a product that will continue to evolve and keep up with the latest SmugMug features (hidden photos, SmugVault, etc). To use the catchphrase circulating at work, I no longer have the personal bandwidth to keep AlbumFetcher current.

This thread is a call for help for someone to take the AlbumFetcher reins. The code is simple Microsoft Visual C++, using MFC. If there's anyone interested in taking the project over as-is or porting it to something cross-platform, let me know.

Thanks, and thanks again to those who've had kind words and future ideas for AlbumFetcher.

-Greg
    edited May 16, 2009
    t0mt0m wrote:
    At first I must say a big thank you for this nice tool! It helped me a lot downloading local fotos I lost during a HD crash from SmugMug.

For some fotos I get an exception and the prog crashed as mentioned in a post before. So I took a look at the sources (thx for sharing this with the community) and hopefully found the solution for this crash. Some photos I uploaded with my iPhone have no filename so the CFile tries to open the base folder as a file and tries to write to this and finally it crashes... (s. attachement)

So I finally made some changes to the code (http.cpp, around line 226)
    CFile f;
    CFileException ex;
    if (!f.Open(strTargetPath, CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeWrite, &ex))
    {
        CString tmpOutPath = strTargetPath;
        CString tmp = szUrl;
        TRACE("Can't open file %s, error = %u\n", strTargetPath, ex.m_cause);
        // probably no filename, so get original filename from smugmug url
        tmpOutPath.Append(tmp.Right(tmp.GetLength() - (tmp.ReverseFind('/') + 1)));
        f.Open(tmpOutPath, CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeWrite, NULL);
    }

I hope you don't feel offended :) I know, my code is not the cleanest and there are maybe some problems under certain circumstances, but it works for a quick fix made in 5 mins. ;)

Maybe it helps you a bit...
    Feel free to contact me via email regarding this fix or if you're still looking for some help making this great tool cross plattform.

Greetings and keep up with the good work!

Tom

Tom,
    This is great! Thanks so much! It's been a while since I've rolled up my sleeves in Visual Studio, but next time I do I will certainly incorporate your fix. Just didn't want to let any more time pass without thanking you. thumb.gif
    -Greg
  • GollyJerGollyJer Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Is the "Login as guest" function of the app. expected to work right now?
    edited June 11, 2009
    GollyJer wrote:
    Is the "Login as guest" function of the app. expected to work right now?

Yes, assuming you have an account that supports a guest login/password.
  • GollyJerGollyJer Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Yes, assuming you have an account that supports a guest login/password.
    I assumed the "Login as Guest" option was basically like going to the site as a non-logged in user. I thought it would show all the albums that allow External Linking of Originals.

Am I correct in thinking that:
    Standard users can only use "Login as User"
    Power users can use "Login as User" & "Login as Guest"
    Pro users can use "Login as User" & "Login as Guest" & "Login as Guest with site password"
    ??

Thanks for the awesome app and the quick response.

-Jeremy
  • p333p333 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 12, 2009
    Album fetcher
    I'm Phil, my site is http://p3.smugmug.com, and I'm using Firefox on Windows.

The question is:
    I am unable to download my albums with albumfetcher.
    Here is my log error message
    showing that the download failed
    Aloha & God bless
    Phil
    ===========================================
    6/12/2009 7:55:38 AM: AlbumFetcher start
    6/12/2009 7:55:56 AM: Logging in user pth333@hawaii.rr.com...
    6/12/2009 7:55:56 AM: Start REST transaction.
    6/12/2009 7:55:57 AM: Expect file of size 380 bytes.
    6/12/2009 7:55:57 AM: Received file of size 380 bytes.
    6/12/2009 7:55:57 AM: REST transaction successful.
    6/12/2009 7:55:57 AM: Login for user pth333@hawaii.rr.com successful.
    6/12/2009 7:55:57 AM: Retrieving albums for user pth333@hawaii.rr.com...
    6/12/2009 7:55:57 AM: Start REST transaction.
    6/12/2009 7:55:59 AM: Download failed on file http://api.smugmug.com/services/api/rest/1.2.1/?method=smugmug.albums.get&SessionID=83da91d8c28bcd1ed156f2032b12762d&Heavy=1. Received Internet Exception: 12016
    6/12/2009 7:55:59 AM: GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsString call.
    6/12/2009 7:55:59 AM: REST transaction failed at call into URL handler. Aborting.
    6/12/2009 7:55:59 AM: REST transaction failed during listing of albums. Listing of albums failed. Check log for error messages.
    6/12/2009 7:56:54 AM: Download complete.
    6/12/2009 7:57:00 AM: Logging in user pth333@hawaii.rr.com...
    6/12/2009 7:57:00 AM: Start REST transaction.
    6/12/2009 7:57:01 AM: Expect file of size 380 bytes.
    6/12/2009 7:57:01 AM: Received file of size 380 bytes.
    6/12/2009 7:57:01 AM: REST transaction successful.
    6/12/2009 7:57:01 AM: Login for user pth333@hawaii.rr.com successful.
    6/12/2009 7:57:01 AM: Retrieving albums for user pth333@hawaii.rr.com...
    6/12/2009 7:57:01 AM: Start REST transaction.
    6/12/2009 7:57:03 AM: Download failed on file http://api.smugmug.com/services/api/rest/1.2.1/?method=smugmug.albums.get&SessionID=d3dc6bc7c0afb8107e13a728e4421f3f&Heavy=1. Received Internet Exception: 12016
    6/12/2009 7:57:03 AM: GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsString call.
    6/12/2009 7:57:03 AM: REST transaction failed at call into URL handler. Aborting.
    6/12/2009 7:57:03 AM: REST transaction failed during listing of albums. Listing of albums failed. Check log for error messages.
    6/12/2009 7:57:06 AM: Start REST transaction.
    6/12/2009 7:57:06 AM: Expect file of size 122 bytes.
    6/12/2009 7:57:06 AM: Received file of size 122 bytes.
    6/12/2009 7:57:06 AM: REST transaction successful.
    6/12/2009 7:57:06 AM: Logged out.

6/12/2009 7:58:02 AM: AlbumFetcher start
    6/12/2009 7:58:21 AM: Logging in user pth333@hawaii.rr.com...
    6/12/2009 7:58:21 AM: Start REST transaction.
    6/12/2009 7:58:22 AM: Expect file of size 380 bytes.
    6/12/2009 7:58:22 AM: Received file of size 380 bytes.
    6/12/2009 7:58:22 AM: REST transaction successful.
    6/12/2009 7:58:22 AM: Login for user pth333@hawaii.rr.com successful.
    6/12/2009 7:58:22 AM: Retrieving albums for user pth333@hawaii.rr.com...
    6/12/2009 7:58:22 AM: Start REST transaction.
    6/12/2009 7:58:23 AM: Download failed on file http://api.smugmug.com/services/api/rest/1.2.1/?method=smugmug.albums.get&SessionID=883ee5e93fb623ed50d24cdbbdc40d35&Heavy=1. Received Internet Exception: 12016
    6/12/2009 7:58:23 AM: GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsString call.
    6/12/2009 7:58:23 AM: REST transaction failed at call into URL handler. Aborting.
    6/12/2009 7:58:23 AM: REST transaction failed during listing of albums. Listing of albums failed. Check log for error messages.
    6/12/2009 7:58:45 AM: Download complete.
    6/12/2009 7:58:48 AM: Logging in user pth333@hawaii.rr.com...
    6/12/2009 7:58:48 AM: Start REST transaction.
    6/12/2009 7:58:49 AM: Expect file of size 380 bytes.
    6/12/2009 7:58:49 AM: Received file of size 380 bytes.
    6/12/2009 7:58:49 AM: REST transaction successful.
    6/12/2009 7:58:49 AM: Login for user pth333@hawaii.rr.com successful.
    6/12/2009 7:58:49 AM: Retrieving albums for user pth333@hawaii.rr.com...
    6/12/2009 7:58:49 AM: Start REST transaction.
    6/12/2009 7:58:51 AM: Download failed on file http://api.smugmug.com/services/api/rest/1.2.1/?method=smugmug.albums.get&SessionID=2b3593a4384bc097ed544a4133e17524&Heavy=1. Received Internet Exception: 12016
    6/12/2009 7:58:51 AM: GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsString call.
    6/12/2009 7:58:51 AM: REST transaction failed at call into URL handler. Aborting.
    6/12/2009 7:58:51 AM: REST transaction failed during listing of albums. Listing of albums failed. Check log for error messages.
    6/12/2009 7:58:57 AM: Start REST transaction.
    6/12/2009 7:58:57 AM: Expect file of size 122 bytes.
    6/12/2009 7:58:57 AM: Received file of size 122 bytes.
    6/12/2009 7:58:57 AM: REST transaction successful.
    6/12/2009 7:58:57 AM: Logged out.

6/12/2009 12:17:07 PM: AlbumFetcher start
    6/12/2009 12:17:26 PM: Logging in user pth333@hawaii.rr.com...
    6/12/2009 12:17:26 PM: Start REST transaction.
    6/12/2009 12:17:31 PM: Expect file of size 380 bytes.
    6/12/2009 12:17:31 PM: Received file of size 380 bytes.
    6/12/2009 12:17:31 PM: REST transaction successful.
    6/12/2009 12:17:31 PM: Login for user pth333@hawaii.rr.com successful.
    6/12/2009 12:17:31 PM: Retrieving albums for user pth333@hawaii.rr.com...
    6/12/2009 12:17:31 PM: Start REST transaction.
    6/12/2009 12:17:32 PM: Download failed on file http://api.smugmug.com/services/api/rest/1.2.1/?method=smugmug.albums.get&SessionID=1d18c8f0c0932f0ed330e16c5029a367&Heavy=1. Received Internet Exception: 12016
    6/12/2009 12:17:32 PM: GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsString call.
    6/12/2009 12:17:32 PM: REST transaction failed at call into URL handler. Aborting.
    6/12/2009 12:17:32 PM: REST transaction failed during listing of albums. Listing of albums failed. Check log for error messages.
    6/12/2009 12:17:42 PM: Start REST transaction.
    6/12/2009 12:17:42 PM: Expect file of size 122 bytes.
    6/12/2009 12:17:42 PM: Received file of size 122 bytes.
    6/12/2009 12:17:42 PM: REST transaction successful.
    6/12/2009 12:17:42 PM: Logged out.

Email Address:
    Phil Spalding 3 <pth333@hawaii.rr.com>
  • MM24MM24 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 13, 2009
    AlbumFetcher is a great idea, thanks very much! I tried it today, and.....it doesn't let me log in, however I can see my albums if I log in as guest.

I'm a Standard User, I'm using Firefox on WinXP. As a guest, I can download some albums and not others. When it fails (and its always the same albums) the AF tells me it cannot find the photo nformation. Thinking I could outsmart the problem, I compared a gallery that did download with a gallery that didn't and set all the settings the same as the one that did. Tried it -- no dice. Tried several things, finally moved the pictures from the gallery that wouldn't download into a gallery that did....and then THAT gallery didn't work.
    So it seems to me it has something to do with the photos themselves, not the operating system or the settings or the computer security or whatever. The photos. I have no idea what it could be, but maybe it will save somebody a lot of work changing settings back and forth when that's not the problem.

That said, this is really a cool little app and it works like a charm when it works. Thanks. :D
  • lmbprincesslmbprincess Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 14, 2009
    I'm right there with ya...
    I second that emotion...I've prayed for 3 days since I downloaded the app and no go so far. How else am I to download 100-200 pics on to a CD???headscratch.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    I second that emotion...I've prayed for 3 days since I downloaded the app and no go so far. How else am I to download 100-200 pics on to a CD???headscratch.gif
    There are other Downloaders available on our Hacks and Apps wiki page
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited June 15, 2009
    Just now seeing these issues... I'll investigate.
    edited June 15, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Just now seeing these issues... I'll investigate.

Well, I can confirm that I'm seeing the same issues as everyone else. I'm not sure what's happened, to be honest. AlbumFetcher is the same as it has been for months and months. Has SmugMug made any API changes that would break API version 1.2.1?

It's also possible that Microsoft released a patch that broke something about my (admittedly simple) code.

It will be a spell before I can get the time to dig up Visual Studio, reinstall it, and fix AlbumFetcher. As gluwater suggested, try one of the alternate apps in the meantime. I promise to have a fix posted just as soon as possible. Apologies for the hassle and pain...
  • p333p333 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 16, 2009
    I cannot log on to download my albums
    pth333@hawaii.rr.com Help please
    there must be a simple way?
    AlbumFetcher

6/16/2009 6:42:17 AM: AlbumFetcher start
    6/16/2009 6:42:39 AM: Logging in user pth333@hawaii.rr.com...
    6/16/2009 6:42:39 AM: Start REST transaction.
    6/16/2009 6:42:40 AM: Expect file of size 380 bytes.
    6/16/2009 6:42:40 AM: Received file of size 380 bytes.
    6/16/2009 6:42:40 AM: REST transaction successful.
    6/16/2009 6:42:40 AM: Login for user pth333@hawaii.rr.com successful.
    6/16/2009 6:42:40 AM: Retrieving albums for user pth333@hawaii.rr.com...
    6/16/2009 6:42:40 AM: Start REST transaction.
    6/16/2009 6:42:43 AM: Download failed on file http://api.smugmug.com/services/api/rest/1.2.1/?method=smugmug.albums.get&SessionID=f2a774c07e2990285cffe632ea27780e&Heavy=1. Received Internet Exception: 12016
    6/16/2009 6:42:43 AM: GetUrlContentsAsMemFile failed in GetUrlContentsAsString call.
    6/16/2009 6:42:43 AM: REST transaction failed at call into URL handler. Aborting.
    6/16/2009 6:42:43 AM: REST transaction failed during listing of albums. Listing of albums failed. Check log for error messages.
    6/16/2009 6:42:53 AM: Start REST transaction.
    6/16/2009 6:42:53 AM: Expect file of size 122 bytes.
    6/16/2009 6:42:53 AM: Received file of size 122 bytes.
    6/16/2009 6:42:53 AM: REST transaction successful.
    6/16/2009 6:42:53 AM: Logged out.
    edited June 16, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Well, I can confirm that I'm seeing the same issues as everyone else. I'm not sure what's happened, to be honest. AlbumFetcher is the same as it has been for months and months. Has SmugMug made any API changes that would break API version 1.2.1?

It's also possible that Microsoft released a patch that broke something about my (admittedly simple) code.

It will be a spell before I can get the time to dig up Visual Studio, reinstall it, and fix AlbumFetcher. As gluwater suggested, try one of the alternate apps in the meantime. I promise to have a fix posted just as soon as possible. Apologies for the hassle and pain...

Well, I found the problem, but I don't have a fix yet. Stay tuned...
  • OmahaMamaOmahaMama Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Thanks!
    wellman wrote:

From my understanding, you're not on the SmugMug staff -- this was your own personal pet project. So thanks for spending your own personal time to fix it!
    edited June 17, 2009
    wellman wrote:

Fixed one problem, but another has cropped up. Downloading as a guest is working again, but I'm having authentication issues when logging in as owner. Stay tuned... I'm working with Dev...
    edited June 17, 2009
    OmahaMama wrote:
    From my understanding, you're not on the SmugMug staff -- this was your own personal pet project. So thanks for spending your own personal time to fix it!

Thanks! If I managed to get this fixed, I might be entertaining offers. :D
    edited June 17, 2009
    As best I can test, AlbumFetcher is back in working order (updated to v0.3.4). Thanks for your patience, folks.

You can find the updated links at the top of the thread.
  • poppopjohnpoppopjohn Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 22, 2009
    download photos from keyword search?
    I need to download a number of smugmug photos that I've gathered up by a keyword search. Is there anyway to download photos displayed on smugmug via keyword search? I sent an email to smugmug asking if there's a way to create an album from photos resulting from a keyword search and they said no.

wellman wrote:
    **Mac User? Go here.**

I'm pleased to announce the release of AlbumFetcher! AlbumFetcher is a little pet project of mine which I've decided to make freely available to the SmugMug community. I've received amazing amounts of help (and ideas) through these forums, and this my way of saying thanks. It's a simple little app that serves two main functions:

1. Download one or many SmugMug galleries at once
    2. Embed captions and keywords into your downloaded images' IPTC headers

AlbumFetcher should run on Win2000, WinXP and above. It has been reported to run under Wine on Linux and through Parallels on a Mac. It's a single file, so it's easily portable and doesn't need to be installed. AlbumFetcher is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This DGrin thread will be the project's home page. Feedback is extremely appreciated, and if there are bugs and/or other issues (as there always are), please let me know here. This is a hobby, so I can't hope to live up to SmugMug's standard of customer service, but I will try to help you out if you're having an issue with the software. One word of caution - beware of the total number of bytes you download. You could easily run up against your monthly bandwith limit.

Again, this is yours to use forever for free. However, if you're a fan of my little app and feel so inclined, you can send me the electronic equivalent of the adult beverage of your choice here. mwink.gif

Enjoy!
    -Greg

Current version: v0.3.4 - Application | Source

How Does it Work?
    1. Download AlbumFetcher (zip file) with the link above.
    2. Use WinZip or your favorite zip program to extract AlbumFetcher.exe (the program) to the folder of your choice (maybe the desktop).
    3. Double-click the AlbumFetcher program icon.
    4. If you're an account owner: In the top-right corner, enter your SmugMug ID and password. If you're a guest: Switch the login type selector to Guest. Then enter the SmugMug ID of the account you'd like to work with. You'll only have access to listed public galleries. (SmugMug ID means either your email address which is registered with SmugMug or the yourname part of yourname.smugmug.com. Your ID and password go directly to SmugMug; there's nobody listening in between.)
    5. Click List Albums. A listing of all your albums will appear.
    6. In the Download Options box (on the right), pick a folder to save albums to. Also pick the image sizes and other options as you wish.
    7. Click the list to select albums for download. Use Ctrl-clicking or Shift-clicking to select more than one.
    8. Click Fetch Albums. AlbumFetcher will now download your requested albums at the size you specified.
    9. Have a tasty beverage.

UPDATE, Nov 14 2006:
    I've incorporated some of Pat Kane's requests and some improvements of my own into v0.2. New features include:
    1. Datetime stamp for each line in log file
    2. Files with same original name are now handled successfully (an underscore is prepended to the second file's name).
    3. Users can optionally skip over previously downloaded images (helpful when a download fails and you want to start over, but not re-download all the successful images).
    4. Category/subcategory info is shown as a field in the list control.
    5. A thumbnail of the image currently being downloaded is displayed.
    6. Total time statistics are recorded when a job is completed successfully.
    7. MD5 hashes are now compared. Files that fail the comparison are left alone, but a note is made in the log file.
    -Greg

UPDATE, Nov 16 2006:

Pat Kane pointed out a bug in the folder selector, which is now fixed. Current version is now 0.2.1. Thanks, Pat! :D

UPDATE, Jan 11 2008:

I'm pleased to announce the release of AlbumFetcher v0.3. There are several improvements in this release. Read on for details.
    1. Multiple login options - Users may now login to SmugMug as account owner, guest, or guest with site password. If you're uncomfortable with other people being able to bulk-download your images, set your external linking option (in gallery customization) to "No."
    2. Album-level password support - Guests may download password-protected galleries (with the proper password of course).
    3. Selectable image size for download - Choose which size you want! AlbumFetcher will find the next largest available if logged in as guest and requested size is not available.
    4. Video support - Choose which size you want! AlbumFetcher will find the next largest available if logged in as guest and requested size is not available. Support is also included for legacy mpeg-1 videos.
    5. As inspired by SmugMug, AlbumFetcher is stretchy!
    6. No more runtime errors - (Fingers crossed.) AlbumFetcher has essentially been completely rewritten. I found a few scenarios that caused the app to crash during my development process, and they've been eliminated. I've successfully downloaded thousands of images while testing. Let me know if you still have runtime problems.

UPDATE, Jan 12 2008:

Scott Walter pointed out a bug which caused the app to crash when downloading GIFs, which is now fixed. Current version is now 0.3.1. Thanks, Scott! :D

UPDATE, Jan 29 2008:

A few people were having similar issues. Basically AlbumFetcher was bombing out if it tried to download an image which was missing (for whatever rare reason) on SmugMug. This is now handled more gracefully in new Version 0.3.2 (link above) - AlbumFetcher will stop the download and report the error (instead of crashing).

UPDATE, Mar 3 2008:

AlbumFetcher is now compatible with SmugMug's security changes (use of keys).

UPDATE, Dec 15 2008:

It's been a pleasure over the past two years to see AlbumFetcher become a useful little download utility for members of the SmugMug family. The users of AlbumFetcher deserve a product that will continue to evolve and keep up with the latest SmugMug features (hidden photos, SmugVault, etc). To use the catchphrase circulating at work, I no longer have the personal bandwidth to keep AlbumFetcher current.

This thread is a call for help for someone to take the AlbumFetcher reins. The code is simple Microsoft Visual C++, using MFC. If there's anyone interested in taking the project over as-is or porting it to something cross-platform, let me know.

Thanks, and thanks again to those who've had kind words and future ideas for AlbumFetcher.

UPDATE, June 17 2009:

Version 0.3.4 is out. This fixes some issues uncovered by some API changes. AF has to be smarter about how it reads responses from SmugMug now. :D Also, a fix suggested by t0mt0m related to photos from iPhones has been incorporated. Thanks for your patience on this one; the issue was hard to find.

-Greg
  • OmahaMamaOmahaMama Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    As best I can test, AlbumFetcher is back in working order (updated to v0.3.4). Thanks for your patience, folks.

You can find the updated links at the top of the thread.
    wellman wrote:

I put a little something into your PayPal. And any of you reading this who PANICKED like I did when it didn't work, you should send a little something his way, too. Hint hint.

Thanks so much!