Options

DSS #29 - C&C Please

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited July 9, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Was able to come up with two images. Your input is welcome and appreciated. :D

"There's an Old Spinning Wheel in the Parlor", 1930. Music & Lyrics by William J. Hill
583800931_ZLQZ5-XL.jpg

"Home, Sweet Home", 1823. Music by Sir Henry Bishop, Lyrics by John Howard Payne.
583802506_gAiun-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Hi Linda,,

Your such an early bird and your making me feel lazy ; )

I must say I have always admired your processing skills.. I know I say that a lot, but I can't help it.. You do such a wonderful job..

I love the spinning wheel..... The other one is beautiful too, however, that strap in the back of the chair, and the thing above it, feels a little out of place to me.. I am not sure what that is hanging above the chair; perhaps that is why my mind cannot place it comfortably in the composition. headscratch.gif

Love the broom and bucket..rolleyes1.gif again, wow on your processing.. very pretty.. and they both fit your chosen song titles like a glove..thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    Kat,

Thanks for commenting.

I just got very lucky over the weekend and had a chance to shoot inside a historic log home. I wasn't shooting for the Challenge but shooting because I like historic homes and the challenge of playing around with natural lighting. When I was working on the post processing last night, I started thinking about song titles and that's pretty much it. So it was more a case of shooting first and then finding suitable titles.

You're right about that strap. It's there because they didn't want visitors sitting in that chair. I didn't notice it until after I posted the pic for C&C. If I decide to use that photo I'll have to try to remember to remove it.

And what a kick in the ass to have found those spinning wheels AFTER the circle or square challenge! rolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    Linda eek7.gifhuheek7.gif what a potty mouth..:lol4

I here ya.. it happens all the time to me too.. Right after the challenge is over,, hmm I wonder why that is..

Good luck with it.. I am just now starting to work mine out and if it would stop raining, then I may just be able to shoot a few of the ideas...:D

Kat
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    Just don't send the rain up north, OK? rolleyes1.gif

Hey I know! How about "Rainy Days and Mondays" for a photo idea and title? Or "Come in From the Rain"? "Here's that Rainy Day"?

eek7.gif You're probably too young to remember any of them lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    hmm.. I have never heard of those.. however, If things do not dry up, I may just end up having to use them..:D

I have so many ideas going.. however, most of them require very dry conditions and even then it is going to be a real trick of the lens because I am in the lush green South..rolleyes1.gif

Kat
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    hmm.. I have never heard of those.. however, If things do not dry up, I may just end up having to use them..:D

I have so many ideas going.. however, most of them require very dry conditions and even then it is going to be a real trick of the lens because I am in the lush green South..rolleyes1.gif

Kat
    you are making me feel old again....
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    I know.. lets play.. lets guess each others age..:D
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    There you go using that antique action stuff again. rolleyes1.gif They are both excellent Linda, but I slightly favor #2. clap.gif
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    There you go using that antique action stuff again. rolleyes1.gif They are both excellent Linda, but I slightly favor #2. clap.gif

I agree, I am really liking the composition of #2. I am not bothered by the the thing above the chair, but maybe that strap?? Both awesome as usualthumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Hi Linda,

I absolutely love #2 and the way you have processed it, however I cannot relate it to "Home, Sweet Home". Maybe it's just me, but to me it looks spooky, it looks more like a penitentiary especially with that chair in the background which with that strap looks more like an OLD electric chair. The composition is perfect and I love everything about it, but "Home, Sweet Home"? Ummm, I'm not so sure if it gives me that feel ne_nau.gif

Beautiful work Linda!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    edited July 7, 2009

Kat

There's always "Row, Row, Row Your Boat". :D
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    you are making me feel old again....

Come on, you can't be a day over 19. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks, Dan! :D
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    I agree, I am really liking the composition of #2. I am not bothered by the the thing above the chair, but maybe that strap?? Both awesome as usualthumb.gif

Thanks Karin! I worked on that strap last night but want to try something else as well. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    Hi Linda,

I absolutely love #2 and the way you have processed it, however I cannot relate it to "Home, Sweet Home". Maybe it's just me, but to me it looks spooky, it looks more like a penitentiary especially with that chair in the background which with that strap looks more like an OLD electric chair. The composition is perfect and I love everything about it, but "Home, Sweet Home"? Ummm, I'm not so sure if it gives me that feel ne_nau.gif

Beautiful work Linda!

Thanks, Allen. thumb.gif

Interesting, regarding the spooky comment. I just saw it as something nostalgic. ne_nau.gif The strap was there to prevent people from sitting on an antique 18th century chair. I have a version without the strap but still want to try another experiment on the photo. mwink.gif

----

Edit:

Allen, your comment inspired me to google more song lyrics and I believe I found something more appropriate than "Home, Sweet Home". Many, many thanks for your honest feedback. :D
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Come on, you can't be a day over 19. mwink.gif

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    HAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
    You are SOOOO funny!

:D but I am happy with every extra number I get to add on to my age.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    There's always "Row, Row, Row Your Boat". :D

Ha ha.. it took me a minute, but I got that..:D

It is drying up,,, finally.... now out to go play in the dirt.. either I pull this one off, or I have another, but that one is going to freak Donna out...mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    It is drying up,,, finally.... now out to go play in the dirt..

Mud pies? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    Oh I loved Mud pies when I was young, I used to make them all the time..

no, the other theme is schizophrenia by Blue October..:D
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    Oh I loved Mud pies when I was young, I used to make them all the time..

no, the other theme is schizophrenia by Blue October..:D

I've made a few myself -- my mom still has old photos of it.

How about "Quadrophenia" by The Who?
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I've made a few myself -- my mom still has old photos of it.

Never heard of that song.. too funny.. hmm.. splitting my face in two was going to be hard enough, now ya want me to split it into fours?eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuh
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

Excellent movie! Even Sting has a bit part in it.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    Never heard of that song.. too funny.. hmm.. splitting my face in two was going to be hard enough, now ya want me to split it into fours?eek7.gifhuheek7.gifhuh

Check it out! It's a fabulous album. Blows the doors off "Tommy".

Pssssst.....think Warhol.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    When I first saw #1 I thought of "Spinning Wheel" by Blood, Sweat & Tears. (Okay does that give you a clue as to how old I am? Birthday next Monday too.) I love the finish on these. You posted a link to the download a while back. Would you re-post it here, please? I've the thinking cap on for a title/song for #2. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
    — Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    When I first saw #1 I thought of "Spinning Wheel" by Blood, Sweat & Tears. (Okay does that give you a clue as to how old I am? Birthday next Monday too.) I love the finish on these. You posted a link to the download a while back. Would you re-post it here, please? I've the thinking cap on for a title/song for #2. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
    — Kevin
    Haha -- I was thinking "Spinning Wheel" by Blood Sweat & Tears too. But the lyrics didn't really match the photo so I had to try something else.

There's a "how to" here. That's sort of a boilerplate -- usually no two wind up being alike, which can drive ya nuts. eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    There's a "how to" here. That's sort of a boilerplate -- usually no two wind up being alike, which can drive ya nuts. eek7.gif

Thanks! Much appreciated.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Check it out! It's a fabulous album. Blows the doors off "Tommy".

Pssssst.....think Warhol.

Will go check that out Linda,, thanks..

Also, I looked over your tut..nice.. you make them really easy to follow. When I first looked at your photos, grunge ran through my mind, but I was not sure.. I have done some recent grunge work with brushes, and It is not easy to get it to look right... takes practice that is for sure..

Thanks for the share..thumb.gif

Well I better get back to work.. it is way too fun hanging out here..:D
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    Will go check that out Linda,, thanks..

Also, I looked over your tut..nice.. you make them really easy to follow. When I first looked at your photos, grunge ran through my mind, but I was not sure.. I have done some recent grunge work with brushes, and It is not easy to get it to look right... takes practice that is for sure..

Thanks for the share..thumb.gif

Well I better get back to work.. it is way too fun hanging out here..:D

I'd been working on that technique for a while trying to hone it but it wasn't until I came across grunge tutorials that I made some major progress. I also provided a link to the tutorials that helped me.

I hear ya about getting back to work...:cry
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Hi Linda,

Beautiful work Linda!

15524779-Ti.gif I absolutely agree. This is really a fantastic image - you really amaze me Linda with your skills!

I'm not too concerned though about this image- you usually have 4 or 5 fantastic images to select from! :Drolleyes1.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    Laughing.gif...I'm keeping this simple: aged vs. not aged. rolleyes1.gif

My intent this morning was to find a PS brush in the shape of a cat and add it to the photo. Found a great set of brushes but the brushed-in cat looked horrible so I had to scrap that idea.

New song title is "The Vacant Chair" (1862). Lyrics by Henry Washburn; Melody by George F. Root. Allen, thanks again for making me think twice about the original title.

#1 - Aged
    585063871_4mx3J-XL.jpg

#2 - Not Aged
    585090955_J3PfX-XL.jpg