Options

Foreign currency transactions

Comments

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    TalkieT wrote:
    I'd suggest you look into doing your own sales with Paypal... Unfortunately Smugmug doesn't have enough overseas pros wanting this feature to justify its development. They have previously confirmed that it's not on any development schedule. I doubt this has changed.

Cheers - N

Ouch, that sux. Looks like I'm not going to extend or upgrade my basic SM account. ZF looks nice though .. hmm.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    shfayashfaya Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    As you can see through this forum I had same problem with SM. No selffulfilment no Euro money. And this way for one year. I can say that during this time SM managed to do some changes but mostly in the way galleries look. After months spend on customization, making menus and all this sh...I decided to move on. At the end we (photographers) have to get the point that customization and beautifull galleries are not that important when it comes to the subject of selling. look at photoshelter. It cost 3 times more but at least you will not have to spend that much time on customization and you can start earning money sunner to pay the difference in price.
    Miro Slav
    www.mirophoto.com
    smooth photography of...
  • Options
    Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2009
    shfaya wrote:
    As you can see through this forum I had same problem with SM. No selffulfilment no Euro money. And this way for one year. I can say that during this time SM managed to do some changes but mostly in the way galleries look. After months spend on customization, making menus and all this sh...I decided to move on. At the end we (photographers) have to get the point that customization and beautifull galleries are not that important when it comes to the subject of selling. look at photoshelter. It cost 3 times more but at least you will not have to spend that much time on customization and you can start earning money sunner to pay the difference in price.

Add your vote in the offical Smugmug feedback forum requesting multi-currency support: http://smugmug.uservoice.com/pages/17723-smugmug/suggestions/236413-add-support-for-multi-currency-purchases
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
  • Options
    blackshadowblackshadow Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2009
    Add your vote in the offical Smugmug feedback forum requesting multi-currency support: http://smugmug.uservoice.com/pages/17723-smugmug/suggestions/236413-add-support-for-multi-currency-purchases

Thanks Craig - my vote has been added.

As much as I like SM I'll be moving everything over to Photoshelter when my SM account expires unless this feature is added to SM. It's a deal breaker for me.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2009
    I see the foreign currency transactions is now 5th on the list at the Feedback Forum so obviously it is an issue for quite a number of SM pros.
  • Options
    RoytpRoytp Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    I see the foreign currency transactions is now 5th on the list at the Feedback Forum so obviously it is an issue for quite a number of SM pros.

Sorry to sound pessimistic but do you really think it will do any good?
    Thank you
    Roy Palmer - Digital Images
    http://www.digital-images.org.uk/
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    My account comes up for renewal in a few weeks and I am going to downgrade to Power level. I have already redirected my website url away from SM.
    Selling in US currency is difficult and packages are a must for me.

I just covered a provincial soccer tournament a few weeks ago and 95% of my customer sales have been direct from me and not choosing to use SM for prints. Even with my encouragement.

I love SM and it is a great service, but it makes no sense at this time to have a pro account. Maybe in the future.

Cheers,
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    I'd be happy already if there was an option to recieve payments form sm via paypal ... I then could offer my stuff in the US and recieve fast payment without having the bank substract $15 per transaction and 6 weeks of processing time for a check that has been sent around the world to my post box in europe. deal.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2009
    Roytp wrote:
    Sorry to sound pessimistic but do you really think it will do any good?

On past performance I'm not holding my breath but I'll keep raising the issue. The old saying is "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" so anyone who needs this feature I encourage to get squeaky!
  • Options
    Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    On past performance I'm not holding my breath but I'll keep raising the issue. The old saying is "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" so anyone who needs this feature I encourage to get squeaky!

Could not have said it better myself!
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    Could not have said it better myself!

I just wish they would come clean and say one way or the other.
    Just to be kept hanging on with no reply just isn't very good.

Did we really need all the fancy mods when what we are trying to do is display and sell images?

Come on Smugmug, say one way or the other, are we ever going to get what we want!!!!
    Thank you
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Roytp wrote:
    I just wish they would come clean and say one way or the other.
    Just to be kept hanging on with no reply just isn't very good.

Did we really need all the fancy mods when what we are trying to do is display and sell images?

Come on Smugmug, say one way or the other, are we ever going to get what we want!!!!
    Roy, http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1092112&postcount=188 We're still finalizing a bunch of pro features. This isn't one of them, I'm sorry. I know it's not the answer you want, I'm very, very sorry.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Roy, http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1092112&postcount=188 We're still finalizing a bunch of pro features. This isn't one of them, I'm sorry. I know it's not the answer you want, I'm very, very sorry.

I am also sorry.
    You are loosing customers over here because of it.

I have had several people ask me about your service from Australia and in the UK
    I tell them honestly that the site, service etc is wonderful but when I tell them about sales they don't want the hassle and don't bother.

Guess its up to you.
    Thank you
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Andy wrote:

I'm sorry too - I won't be renewing my SM subscription in September because of this and the lack of electronic payment.

I'll be going to either photoshelter or zenfolio.
  • Options
    OppsOpps Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    I'm sorry too - I won't be renewing my SM subscription in September because of this and the lack of electronic payment.

Just my comment, I'm not a professional photographer and thus doesn't sell anything ... but I recently got asked about my photos since some people wanted to print a few of them. I said sure and sent them the files so they could order prints themselves (I don't want to be involved in that part) but it would have been much nicer to say "sure, click on the print button and you can order prints that way" ... unfortunately I couldn't do that since a) there is to way for them to pay in my local currency, b) they will not order from the US.

I know that this probably doesn't matter for SmugMug since it will not generate much money ... but from my point of view it would be nice to have (and it would make me order more prints that I do now since I don't like to order photos from the US either, instead I use a national service --- which mean that I have to upload my photos to another site).

So for me SmugMug is purely a "view only site" at the moment.
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    It's disappointing that a company who prides itself on customer service has chosen to ignore (at this stage) the 5th most wanted feature on their Official Feedback Forum.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:

As one of the major players at SM can you tell us why?

There is obviousley a great need for this feature.

As one of the exec's why can't you up the feature request in your prog of dev?
    Thank you
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009

12 more votes needed to push this to 4th most requested feature and another 12 to push it to third.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    I have been trying to get every single foreign user to ask for this feature for over 3 yrs..... i wanted it so my friends living overseas could order thru here......now I have gone and started setting up with ReD Bubble to be able to charge in Euros at least and my clients can auto switch from euro to US# and a few other currencies in the blink of an eye......no it is not as customizable as SM but it has various currencies to offer..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    12 more votes needed to push this to 4th most requested feature and another 12 to push it to third.

Done my bit...
    Thank you
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Any suggestion of pushing this feature up artificially is pretty pointless isn't it?
    Yes I'm in the UK and yes it would be nice to have ££ or euros shown as an option for the shopping cart, but the prints would still be printed and delivered from the US with the potential for problems in delivery times, charges etc.

I've disabled the cart on my site so the situation doesn't arise, I did this because the reality is that I don't have people queuing up to buy my pics, and its no problem to deal with an order by email/phone and through a UK print shop such as Photobox.

So before this gets stirred up ask yourself, How many people visit my site ? How many of those realistically actually want to buy ? and then consider whether it merits making a big fuss about foreign currency being a much requested/needed feature.

Art :-) I realize this doesn't apply to you and, no doubt other people who are justifiably adding their vote to this feature request, I don't mean to offend anyone, just being realistic.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    kara*kara* Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Hello. I am Canadian and my photo clients are all Canadian. The fact that they have to pay in US$ is a BIG problem for my business! I try to adjust my prices based on the exchange rate, but having American prices on my site is not fair to my clients. I've been a pro consumer for over 3 years and I know smugmug makes improvements often based on customer needs... well, this is a real need! I would hate to have to take my business elsewhere as I've been very happy with smugmug in most other areas.

Even if there is a simple "estimate" currency converter in the shopping cart, so people don't have to guess the final price - that would be an easy feature to add right away.

Smugmug has many Canadian, European and Australian clients.. I can't see why this would not be a priority.

Please take this into account, from a longtime pro customer. Thank you!

www.rkhudson.smugmug.com

Edit: Caroline, I agree with you that it's a pain to order from the US when living in another country. It is convenient for my clients to order from a website, though, and have it sent to their door. (Maybe more for Canada, since it is in the same continent as the US.) I am definitely considering going back to just taking care of the order myself - which could be a hassle for other reasons (and for me it takes a lot more time). Seems like it's a lose-lose situation for us international smuggers...

Another idea, since smugmug just recently joined with a new pro lab (Bay Photo) - why not look for a Canadian lab to partner with? I'm just thinking as I type - it's worth considering anyhow.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    5 more votes needed to draw level with the 4th most requested feature... 6 to be 4th outright...
  • Options
    R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    kara* wrote:
    Hello. I am Canadian and my photo clients are all Canadian. The fact that they have to pay in US$ is a BIG problem for my business! I try to adjust my prices based on the exchange rate, but having American prices on my site is not fair to my clients. I've been a pro consumer for over 3 years and I know smugmug makes improvements often based on customer needs... well, this is a real need! I would hate to have to take my business elsewhere as I've been very happy with smugmug in most other areas.

Even if there is a simple "estimate" currency converter in the shopping cart, so people don't have to guess the final price - that would be an easy feature to add right away.

Smugmug has many Canadian, European and Australian clients.. I can't see why this would not be a priority.

Please take this into account, from a longtime pro customer. Thank you!

www.rkhudson.smugmug.com

Edit: Caroline, I agree with you that it's a pain to order from the US when living in another country. It is convenient for my clients to order from a website, though, and have it sent to their door. (Maybe more for Canada, since it is in the same continent as the US.) I am definitely considering going back to just taking care of the order myself - which could be a hassle for other reasons (and for me it takes a lot more time). Seems like it's a lose-lose situation for us international smuggers...

Another idea, since smugmug just recently joined with a new pro lab (Bay Photo) - why not look for a Canadian lab to partner with? I'm just thinking as I type - it's worth considering anyhow.

I too would like, nay, love to see the option to have settings to allow for currency conversion at time of shopping.

While the outsource to the US, is a bit of an inconvenience for some, most people do not mind. I think the biggest factor is a concern of shipping costs and time to deliver, but again, I am not finding this a huge issue. The pricing in USD is a minor pain for me and confusing to clients. I have two currencies on my site, that just does not market well with people.
    caroline wrote:

So before this gets stirred up ask yourself, How many people visit my site ? How many of those realistically actually want to buy ? and then consider whether it merits making a big fuss about foreign currency being a much requested/needed feature.

Art :-) I realize this doesn't apply to you and, no doubt other people who are justifiably adding their vote to this feature request, I don't mean to offend anyone, just being realistic.

Caroline

I see what you say, and you have a good point. My recommendation and "vote for" comes from several clients and potential clients. They are the bosses.
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    caroline wrote:
    Any suggestion of pushing this feature up artificially is pretty pointless isn't it?
    Yes I'm in the UK and yes it would be nice to have ££ or euros shown as an option for the shopping cart, but the prints would still be printed and delivered from the US with the potential for problems in delivery times, charges etc.

I've disabled the cart on my site so the situation doesn't arise, I did this because the reality is that I don't have people queuing up to buy my pics, and its no problem to deal with an order by email/phone and through a UK print shop such as Photobox.

Caroline

Caroline - I get more emails from people asking if they can buy prints direct from me rather than going through SM and paying US dollars. They ask me for pricing in Australian dollars.

It's not the delivery time that is the problem it is that Australians prefer to pay in local currency.

To me and my clients it is a big deal.
  • Options
    R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009

It's not the delivery time that is the problem it is that [customers] prefer to pay in local currency.

To me and my clients it is a big deal.

thumb.gif
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Just went and deposited a small cheque from SmugMug I received and discovered my bank here in Canada has an automatic 60 day hold on all cheques drawn from foreign banks...teller told me that was 'standard'.

I had never noticed this before, never needed to use the money and the cheques were just deposited into my business account and I never paid attention.

This effectivetly makes you wait up to 4 months to be paid after a sale...This really should be addressed with either direct deposit or PayPal payments. For me it is a non- issue as I will not be renewing my Pro accuont with SM in August when it comes time for renewal. I needed packages and that is why I choose a different way to do it but I am now very glad I discovered thie 60 day hold issue, the packages now mean nothing to me if the foreign currency problem is not resolved as well.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    wirehuntwirehunt Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Well
    I've wasted a day looking all around this site, well it wasn't wasted until I found this thread. I was hoping that by the time I got to the end of it the two issues talked about would have be resolved. But........ So I won't be getting the pro account now, better to find out before putting a whole bunch of work in.

SmugMug, I was so close, you do have a great setup here. Look at the top of this page and every other page, there's a thing up there www. think that way and this company will go places.

I'll be back in a year to see whats happening. Maybe.
    Stephen Dickson: The one from the south island of New Zealand.

Work hard, play harder. bloggy
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Montec wrote:
    ..This really should be addressed with either direct deposit or PayPal payments.

Sure we should. But is that Banking Policy in Canada? I don't think so. Bleh.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Ugh! 60 days is awful. I think all the banks have implemented this hold (I've run into 15 - 30, not 60!) for USD due to the credit crisis, and all. US bank instability, increase in fraud and money laundering.

I know I've been told that direct deposit would result in immediate access to funds.

ann

Montec wrote:
    Just went and deposited a small cheque from SmugMug I received and discovered my bank here in Canada has an automatic 60 day hold on all cheques drawn from foreign banks...teller told me that was 'standard'.

I had never noticed this before, never needed to use the money and the cheques were just deposited into my business account and I never paid attention.

This effectivetly makes you wait up to 4 months to be paid after a sale...This really should be addressed with either direct deposit or PayPal payments. For me it is a non- issue as I will not be renewing my Pro accuont with SM in August when it comes time for renewal. I needed packages and that is why I choose a different way to do it but I am now very glad I discovered thie 60 day hold issue, the packages now mean nothing to me if the foreign currency problem is not resolved as well.