Options

Rotate image issues

jahjah Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited August 23, 2011 in SmugMug Support
Is it just me, or does rotate image not work particularly well? I find myself repeatedly trying to rotate images without joy.

Is there some trick I could be missing?

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    jah wrote:
    Is it just me, or does rotate image not work particularly well? I find myself repeatedly trying to rotate images without joy.

Sometimes it takes quite awhile for the rotated photo to show up.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    jah wrote:

Show us a link to the images you are rotating please?
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Sometimes it takes quite awhile for the rotated photo to show up.
    For some galleries, they rotate within 30 seconds. For others, I've waited hours and nada. I've tried it several times on one gallery and a few flipped twice while others never flipped.

This is the tag I'm having issues with atm. Some pics are flipped right, and some haven't flipped at all and some have flipped twice or more. I started trying to get these photos flipped about five or six hours ago.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    jah wrote:
    For some galleries, they rotate within 30 seconds. For others, I've waited hours and nada. I've tried it several times on one gallery and a few flipped twice while others never flipped.

This is the tag I'm having issues with atm. Some pics are flipped right, and some haven't flipped at all and some have flipped twice or more. I started trying to get these photos flipped about five or six hours ago.

Hey Jah,

I took a look and checked behind-the-scenes and see that it's likely a case of not waiting long enough before queuing another request. ne_nau.gif We apologize about any confusion but I'm not sure why some would take hours and hours to rotate as the queue looks pretty light right now. I'm going to go ahead and rotate the ones I see that need it, and as I've been doing that they've been flipping pretty quickly, within a minute or two. Check back in a bit and let us know if this doesn't take care of the issue for you!

Best regards
    Steph
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Hey Jah,

I took a look and checked behind-the-scenes and see that it's likely a case of not waiting long enough before queuing another request. ne_nau.gif We apologize about any confusion but I'm not sure why some would take hours and hours to rotate as the queue looks pretty light right now. I'm going to go ahead and rotate the ones I see that need it, and as I've been doing that they've been flipping pretty quickly, within a minute or two. Check back in a bit and let us know if this doesn't take care of the issue for you!

Best regards
    Steph
    Hey, thanks!

So was I maybe not giving it enough time to rotate before I started tagging the pictures? Would that mess it up?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    I am still having serious issues with rotating; maybe I should submit a ticket.

This gallery is where I'm seeing the problem. I went through once and flipped the photos that were wrong in one direction, and then i went through again and flipped the photos in the other direction. The gallery isn't huge, and the number of flipped photos was really small.

But now it's been an hour, and the only thing that's happened is that some photos were flipped twice. I did not flip any of them twice; it did that.
  • Options
    Rogue 1Rogue 1 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Hi Casa -

This issue is almost always (actually it is just plain always) a result of what I refer to as a double dip - one way or another (no pun intended) a second rotate on top of another that pushes the image a step or two past proper orientation - and rarely, a simlple misinterperetation of which way to turn -

I'm in the gallery now correcting the orientation - please don't make any changes as the double/triple dipping will continue :)

:D
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    Rogue 1 wrote:
    Hi Casa -

This issue is almost always (actually it is just plain always) a result of what I refer to as a double dip - one way or another (no pun intended) a second rotate on top of another that pushes the image a step or two past proper orientation - and rarely, a simlple misinterperetation of which way to turn -

I'm in the gallery now correcting the orientation - please don't make any changes as the double/triple dipping will continue :)

:D
    That really isn't what is seeming to happen on my end, though. I mean, I know what you're saying, and I'm sure I have done that a few times. But right now I am being very deliberate about it. Sometimes I'll just try one picture in a gallery and absolutely nothing will happen for hours and hours.

Take this picture, from a different gallery. I rotated it about three hours ago. Just that one picture to see what would happen. But nothing happened. I didn't touch anything else in the gallery, and I don't think I've made any other changes within smugmug since I made that one change. But I'm getting nothing.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    OK Jah

Like most heroes, I am off site and work from my home ... when there are general connection issues and other assorted problems, which is rare, we experience them just like our customers :) I'm just putting this out there so you know I see your site just like you do (or should) - no special access other than administrative.

That said, I've re-oriented the gallery you initially linked us (grats on the baby btw clap.gif) - I think I've got them all set right -

One other possible issue that could contribute to double dipping is if your browser is caching the images and not refreshing to show the corrected orientation - does Charlotte's 24hr gallery look right to you now?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    I'm reorienting the recently linked gallery as well - stand by
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    Rogue 1 wrote:
    OK Jah

Like most heroes, I am off site and work from my home ... when there are general connection issues and other assorted problems, which is rare, we experience them just like our customers :) I'm just putting this out there so you know I see your site just like you do (or should) - no special access other than administrative.

That said, I've re-oriented the gallery you initially linked us (grats on the baby btw clap.gif) - I think I've got them all set right -

One other possible issue that could contribute to double dipping is if your browser is caching the images and not refreshing to show the corrected orientation - does Charlotte's 24hr gallery look right to you now?
    Yes, they look right. And I have tried refreshing the cache to see if that's what's happening.

What's odd to me is that sometimes I can get a gallery to work right - which also says I'm at least sometimes capable of not being an idiot - but sometimes I can't. If I could discern a pattern in what's happening, I could work with it.

And thanks for the congrats. She'll be two at the end of July, and I am very happy to have her photos hosted here now instead of flickr. :-)

edit: so you're doing just what I'm doing, just going in and clicking "rotate," but it's working for you and not me? That strongly implies that I'm somehow managing to screw it up. Hmm.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    OK - that's done as well -

Jah, I have a few questions - I'm going to take this to email as I'd prefer not to link to your personal galleries in the forums - email inc. shortly
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I've also been experiencing this same issue for some time now. I thought it might have just been me or something I was doing. Here's my workflow and a link to the gallery I'm working on.

I initially uploaded everything into the gallery. I'm using older cameras which don't have automatic orientation detection, so I must manually rotate images. I will pull up the gallery in two windows tiled across the screen vertically, one on my left and one on my right. In the window on my left I select images that need to be left rotate, and in the window on my right, the ones that need right rotation. I scroll through both windows at the same time so I'm always on the same row. I'll miss shots here and there and will need to rotate them as I review the gallery, but I get most of them in this first step. The problem I've noticed is that images I know I've selected sometimes never rotate.

Here's an example gallery:
    http://huntsvillecarscene.smugmug.com/gallery/9205300_9vEt4

I ran through this process in this gallery and yet I've found series of photos that I would have never missed in my first step not rotated. I know there was enough time for rotation because I stopped working on this gallery abruptly last night and resumed work on it this morning. I was finished with the first rotation step and was reviewing the gallery when I stopped last night.

Here's a link to two images that are perfect examples of this issue:
    http://huntsvillecarscene.smugmug.com/gallery/9205300_9vEt4#614740643_Mjnt5
    http://huntsvillecarscene.smugmug.com/gallery/9205300_9vEt4#614767617_c6saY

Both of these images were in the middle of a bunch of images that had to be rotated. There was no way I manually missed them. But while the others got rotated, these weren't. I'll leave both of these untouched to give you guys a chance to check it out.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2009
    I've definitely found a few quirks with the system: rare times when I would be super careful to get all of the photos selected to be rotated, and then I would wait for several hours and return to find some of them not rotated and one or two rotated twice or the wrong way.

It's pretty rare, kind of like taking a car to the mechanic because it sometimes makes a noise. It's almost like every now and then the computer hiccups, which is hard to catch. I finally just gave up and figured that it does usually get it right. Also, I am almost finished going through the 6k photos I transferred from flickr (w00t), and the photos from here on out should mostly be from my camera that does know directions most of the time.
    SamirD wrote:
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I have been seeing this issue for about 6 months, and reporting it to smugmug. But I do alot of rotating. Hundreds to thousands of photos a week and with that volume it usually was occuring in 2-10% of the photos on each occasion. It started when smugmug implemented the new remote hosting of photos on Akamai. I used to email them every weekend when I would see it and they have had a hard time issolating the issue since it happens seemingly on random photos. I recently had it occur, when I was not in a rush, so recreated a new gallery and reuploaded the photos and left the original gallery hidden, with the errors, etc all untouch so maybe they can diagnos what exactly went wrong.

What was actually happening with most of my photos was they weren't completely rotating. All photos actually rotate to the right. If you select rotate to the left, it actually is rotating 270 to the right. Anyway for some reason the photos I have that have errors end up rotating 180 to the right from the original position. Very odd.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2009
    This issue is still happening. ne_nau.gif

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that feels this way, but with a pro account I need a tool that works--day in, day out.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2009
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    I'm just dealing with these issues again today, so this is a friendly reminder to vote. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2010
    Vote to get this fixed. I've already lost 30mins today. Maybe these things will rotate sometime today. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2010
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2010
    SamirD wrote: »
    Samir, please write our Support Heroes with details, gallery, # of rotations, how long, etc. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    Months later, it's still an issue. Vote to get it fixed:
    http://smugmug.uservoice.com/pages/17723-smugmug/suggestions/409278-fix-image-rotate-tool

Email sent to help desk.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    Months later, it's still an issue. Vote to get it fixed:
    http://smugmug.uservoice.com/pages/17723-smugmug/suggestions/409278-fix-image-rotate-tool

Email sent to help desk.

Samir, happy to handle here - please give links to two images that aren't rotating?
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    They've rotated, but using the methodology I posted previously. Still gives inconsistant results including double-rotations and no rotations. I'd rather us go back to the single image rotation tool that works if I have to re-rotate the images half the time with the current tool.

I'm working this gallery as we speak and I'm a little past halfway through it if you want to check it out.
    http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/gallery/14414036_eNxCd
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    dsc2343 was a perfect example. I know I rotated this earlier. It's too easy not to miss. And yet I'm having to do it again. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    dsc2343 was a perfect example. I know I rotated this earlier. It's too easy not to miss. And yet I'm having to do it again. ne_nau.gif

Can I have a link to it?
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    Here's two more that did something unusual. I didn't rotate anything 180, and yet these did. And I only rotated them once. ne_nau.gif
    http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/gallery/14414036_eNxCd#1068775537_GLC7Q
    http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/gallery/14414036_eNxCd#1068776067_m3z2v
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010

I show that you rotated this 90, then 270, on two different occassions

20101029-nfujmmpwcm57fj554y94iqgf14.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    I show that you rotated this 90, then 270, on two different occassions

20101029-nfujmmpwcm57fj554y94iqgf14.jpg
    Those rotation times are probably correct, but I don't think the rotations are. The original file was landscape and had to be rotated portrait, so it would have been rotated only once and only in one direction. I only had two windows open--one for left rotates, one for right. If it would have rotated correctly, I wouldn't have had to rotate it again. Even if I would have chosen the wrong side (left vs right), I would have had to rotate it 180, not 270.

I looked at the original and it needed to be rotated right. I remember reading here somewhere that a left or right is actually 3x of the other one? If that's the case, the 2nd rotation would be correct and correctly executed and the first one never executed.