Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    heatherk9heatherk9 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    So I just figured out that rather than clicking on the hard drive icon, I had to click on the home icon and there was a "Pictures" folder. Duh. rolleyes1.gif I guess I'm putting my pictures there.
    heatherk9 wrote:
    I'm tired of searching the web so I'm bothering you with a quick, but probably repeated, question. I am moving my photos from the pc to the new mac. Should I put them in the photo folder within iPhoto or create a new folder for them elsewhere? I don't really plan on using iPhoto and I've read that once you put photos in that folder, you shouldn't touch them outside of the application. I've got over 14,000 to move so I'd like to just do it once. (Yes. I keep them on an external drive as well. I don't know why I like to keep them all on the laptop as well. I just do.)

Thank you! Heather
  • Options
    heatherk9heatherk9 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Thanks David. I hadn't seen the Pictures folder because I didn't know about the home icon. rolleyes1.gif
    DavidTO wrote:
    If you don't plan on using iPhoto, then just put them in your Pictures folder, organized as you will.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    heatherk9 wrote:
    So I just figured out that rather than clicking on the hard drive icon, I had to click on the home icon and there was a "Pictures" folder. Duh. rolleyes1.gif I guess I'm putting my pictures there.

Macintosh HD>Users>yourhomefolder
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    heatherk9 wrote:
    I don't really plan on using iPhoto and I've read that once you put photos in that folder, you shouldn't touch them outside of the application.

It's important to know there's a difference between iPhoto and the Pictures folder.

To be more precise, iPhoto does not have ultimate control over the Pictures folder. You can safely put your photos in the Pictures folder. What you do not want to do is put pictures into the iPhoto application. That's where iPhoto will start "managing" them for you. As long as you don't drag any photos into iPhoto, you're fine using the Pictures folder however you like. The only part of the Pictures folder that is managed by iPhoto is the iPhoto Library.

Basically the Pictures folder on the Mac is just like the My Pictures folder in Windows. Any program can manage pictures in there. My Adobe Lightroom catalog is in my Pictures folder.

The only thing to remember is to ignore iPhoto unless you want to use its features on a couple of photos now and then.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Soooooo, I got one of the first Mac Pros, back in August 2006.... I know this because my AppleCare is expiring tomorrow, August 9th :D

That's three years of bliss, happiness and ease of use. Three years of no viruses, no hardware issues, no worms, spyware or malicious software.

Three years of being able to just use my computer, instead of my computer using me clap.gif

my last HP Vectra that was at least 2 yrs old when I purchased it died a week ago.....can't get it up past the black screen that says i moved a hdd and the keyboard...i ran it hard (24/7/365 1/4) for 6 years ....it was only off if I lost electricity......no viruses only 2 hdd failures......I paid a whole whopping 325.00 including S/H from a ebay resellar of off lease equipment........now way a mac can live up to that......now if the one I just built will last for 4 yrs with a whole 400 invested (all parts were on sale....nothing retail prices) then I can be happy as a lark..........ofcourse I just might have to upgrade my processor to a quad core abd add the other 12gbs of ram the MB will actully hold and right now that will run me another 350+s/h........even at 750 cheaper than a low end mac..........

So I am not seeing a mac in my future unless the cost for a real screamer comes waaaay down.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 8, 2009
    heatherk9 wrote:

Why not get an external Hd to put all of your photos in so it is not part of your actualy system Hd and if your system HD dies on you, you will not lose them.......I keep a 3 deep file system for photos....actually 5 deep when you count smugmug........I may be letting 1 or 2 hdd's out of the filing system if i go with Mozy to file all my raws, dngs and 1 set of finished jpgs.....at what they say they charge I can't buy HDD's for 60-70 $ a year..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    .......now way a mac can live up to that......

No, you're right. Yours is still a PeeCee. lol3.gif
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    ... I am not seeing a mac in my future ...
    You're at the wrong forum - Macs are all we talk here! :D
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    my last HP Vectra that was at least 2 yrs old when I purchased it died a week ago.....can't get it up past the black screen that says i moved a hdd and the keyboard...i ran it hard (24/7/365 1/4) for 6 years ....it was only off if I lost electricity......no viruses only 2 hdd failures......I paid a whole whopping 325.00 including S/H from a ebay resellar of off lease equipment........now way a mac can live up to that......now if the one I just built will last for 4 yrs with a whole 400 invested (all parts were on sale....nothing retail prices) then I can be happy as a lark..........ofcourse I just might have to upgrade my processor to a quad core abd add the other 12gbs of ram the MB will actully hold and right now that will run me another 350+s/h........even at 750 cheaper than a low end mac..........

So I am not seeing a mac in my future unless the cost for a real screamer comes waaaay down.

Given the time I'm in front of the computer, I can't be bothered with crap. My high end Mac Pro costs me less than 10 cents/more per hour than yours over a multi-year period :D
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2009
    You're at the wrong forum - Macs are all we talk here! :D

Just exercising my freedom of speech
    and NEEDLING.......:D

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 9, 2009
    I love it when this generally useful thread goes through its every-so-often spurt of "mine is better than yours blbl.gif"
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Just in case anyone else experiences what I was being bothered by, I found a solution.

I've got one of the new 13" Macbook Pros and every 5-6 minutes I was getting the pinwheel of death for about 10-15 seconds. I disabled the hard drive's shock sensor (google for the terminal command) and the problem has completely gone away.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Just in case anyone else experiences what I was being bothered by, I found a solution.

I've got one of the new 13" Macbook Pros and every 5-6 minutes I was getting the pinwheel of death for about 10-15 seconds. I disabled the hard drive's shock sensor (google for the terminal command) and the problem has completely gone away.

It's strange that it would kick in that often. Are you using the MacBook on a bus going across a road in northern Afghanistan?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Pupator wrote:

If it's still under warranty I would turn it back on, and take it in. No reason you should have to disable that to get it to work.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited August 10, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    If it's still under warranty I would turn it back on, and take it in. No reason you should have to disable that to get it to work.

I agree. A disk shock sensor is a really good idea on any portable device, and there's no inherent reason it needs to create a performance penalty. Something's not right here.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    I agree. A disk shock sensor is a really good idea on any portable device, and there's no inherent reason it needs to create a performance penalty. Something's not right here.

The notebook is about 2 weeks old so it's certainly under warranty, but the internet consensus is that it's a firmware problem that Apple will have to update. There are hundreds of people on the Apple forums complaining about the problem with the newest 13, 15, and 17" MBPs. If you take it in they can't fix it and just give you another with the same problem. Hopefully Apple will address this via an update sometime soon. I haven't gotten around to installing Windows (via Bootcamp) to see if the problem persists.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    The notebook is about 2 weeks old so it's certainly under warranty, but the internet consensus is that it's a firmware problem that Apple will have to update. There are hundreds of people on the Apple forums complaining about the problem with the newest 13, 15, and 17" MBPs. If you take it in they can't fix it and just give you another with the same problem. Hopefully Apple will address this via an update sometime soon. I haven't gotten around to installing Windows (via Bootcamp) to see if the problem persists.

Many disk drive manufacturers are now building accelerometers into the drives themselves, so you may find that it is third-party firmware that is at fault. Still, Apple needs to step up to the plate and accept responsibility for a fix or replacement.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Many disk drive manufacturers are now building accelerometers into the drives themselves, so you may find that it is third-party firmware that is at fault. Still, Apple needs to step up to the plate and accept responsibility for a fix or replacement.

The speculation (for what that's worth) is that you're exactly right. If these drives have some sort of native vibration control the Apple firmware may be triggering it or vice versa. Either way, a fix will be nice. Of course, if that's the case, then even with the Apple controls turned off my drive is still protected.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    The speculation (for what that's worth) is that you're exactly right. If these drives have some sort of native vibration control the Apple firmware may be triggering it or vice versa. Either way, a fix will be nice. Of course, if that's the case, then even with the Apple controls turned off my drive is still protected.

That would be nice to know. I recently had to replace the C: drive in my Lenovo ThinkPad T61. It has its own accelerometer and shock protection firmware. I specifically chose a replacement drive that did not have this feature, as I did not want two separate subsystems trying to solve the same problem. Generally speaking, the solution isn't twice as good. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2009
    Google Chrome
    I'm pleased to note that the new beta of Google Chrome which has appeared for download on VersionTracker today now displays my site's opening slideshow correctly. This was the only problem area I had identified in the previous pre-release.

Chrome has also adopted the Safari feature that allows input text boxes to be stretched, which is very useful, for example when maintaining SmugMug site customisation code.

As the feature set is built out in successive betas, and so long as conformance with W3C standards is maintained, this browser could be very attractive for many users. whether in Mac or Windows environments. Does anyone agree?
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    But wait - there's more, like a claimed 34% performance improvement over Safari being reported by Gizmodo.
  • Options
    JCCJCC Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    New MacBook Questions about Video Cards, Hard Drives & Color Gamut
    I dropped my trusty Macbook this morning. Fortunately, the hard drive is recoverable, unfortunately the screen isn't. So, it looks like I'm going to have to spring for a new one.

Anyone out there using/looked at the new Macbook pro's?

1. Is there a noticeable difference in speed between the two graphics chips in the 15" (9400 & 9600M G) and the single 9400 Nvidea GeForce available in the 13 or 15"?

2. Anyone using the solid state memory? Can you tell if it's faster? Is it worth the trade-off (it's more expensive and is only available up to 256GB)? Is it worth it just to avoid the annoying accelerometer/shock protection conflict?

3. Apple is really hyping the increased color gamut. Does this mean the discrepancy between "Apple color" and "Windows color" will diminish? There used to be a great explanation of this somewhere on SmugMug but I can't find it today.

Thanks in advance!
    Jill
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    JCC wrote:
    I dropped my trusty Macbook this morning. Fortunately, the hard drive is recoverable, unfortunately the screen isn't. So, it looks like I'm going to have to spring for a new one.

Anyone out there using/looked at the new Macbook pro's?

1. Is there a noticeable difference in speed between the two graphics chips in the 15" (9400 & 9600M G) and the single 9400 Nvidea GeForce available in the 13 or 15"?

Yes, if you're running Aperture or Motion or playing games. I would expect with Snow Leopard, you may see differences in other programs due to OpenCL. The differences in speed are fairly clearly laid out on the "performance" pages on Apples MacBook Pro site.

2. Anyone using the solid state memory? Can you tell if it's faster? Is it worth the trade-off (it's more expensive and is only available up to 256GB)? Is it worth it just to avoid the annoying accelerometer/shock protection conflict?

It's somewhat faster; it depends on the circumstance. IMO, the big benefit is the increased reliability. I've gone through 3 laptop drives in the last 3 years. I've never lost any data because I have a good backup strategy. But it's a pain. Laptop drives live hard lives and the 7200 RPM ones I use seem to be particularly fragile.

3. Apple is really hyping the increased color gamut. Does this mean the discrepancy between "Apple color" and "Windows color" will diminish? There used to be a great explanation of this somewhere on SmugMug but I can't find it today.

I'm unsure what you're referring to here. There is increased color gamut on the displays. Often laptop displays aren't that great (they tend to be 6 bit per pixel and use dithering, as opposed to 8 bit per pixel on high end desktop monitors like Apple's... NOT Dell's $250 displays). It used to be that the gamma on Macs was 1.8 and on Windows it was 2.2, but Snow Leopard defaults to a gamma of 2.2, and if you ever use a monitor calibrator on a Mac it changes it to 2.2, or strongly recommends you do so.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Mac and Windows color differences are usually the result of a difference in "gamma," not "gamut." As CatOne said, if you simply calibrate to gamma 2.2 you will match the Windows default, and Snow Leopard 10.6 is supposed to make the gamma match by default. But that is all unrelated to color gamut, which varies largely depending on each laptop model.

Rob Galbraith thinks the new MacBook Pro screens are a remarkable improvement.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    The 15" and 17" MBP screens are better (wider color gamut) than the 13". I'd get the 15" matte screen version.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Anybody here ssh to a remote mac located behind a router?

I am having a bugger of a time getting ssh to connect via an FVG318 VPN router at my house. The mac at home is set for remote login. I can establish a ssh via the local network just fine. I just can't get the darn thing to work outside of the network.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    Anybody here ssh to a remote mac located behind a router?

I am having a bugger of a time getting ssh to connect via an FVG318 VPN router at my house. The mac at home is set for remote login. I can establish a ssh via the local network just fine. I just can't get the darn thing to work outside of the network.

Do you have port forwarding enabled on the router? The router needs to forward the ssh port (er, 22?) to the IP address of the Mac. Oh, and of course, you need to _know_ the IP address of the Mac; in many cases it changes regularly due to DHCP. If you use a Dynamic DNS service (either on the router or the Mac) you can often address this.

This definitely works, it's just tricky to set up if you're not familiar with network setup.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    CatOne wrote:
    Do you have port forwarding enabled on the router? The router needs to forward the ssh port (er, 22?) to the IP address of the Mac. Oh, and of course, you need to _know_ the IP address of the Mac; in many cases it changes regularly due to DHCP. If you use a Dynamic DNS service (either on the router or the Mac) you can often address this.

This definitely works, it's just tricky to set up if you're not familiar with network setup.
    Yeah - the FVG "port forwarding" is set for ssh port 22 to go to a specific IP on the LAN (192.168.0.14 - which I set in the router to always be the MAC I am trying to get to). With this router I can do port forwarding to an IP and not to another port.

So far using terminal with ssh -p 22 RogersDA@Modem_IP_Address does not get me a password prompt (the username is correct, and I checked the IP address assigned by Comcast).

What I need to do is find an open WiFi connection somewhere and just sit and play. I can https into the router from anywhere, so I can change its settings if needed.
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    Yeah - the FVG "port forwarding" is set for ssh port 22 to go to a specific IP on the LAN (192.168.0.14 - which I set in the router to always be the MAC I am trying to get to). With this router I can do port forwarding to an IP and not to another port.

So far using terminal with ssh -p 22 RogersDA@Modem_IP_Address does not get me a password prompt (the username is correct, and I checked the IP address assigned by Comcast).

What I need to do is find an open WiFi connection somewhere and just sit and play. I can https into the router from anywhere, so I can change its settings if needed.

Dumb question, but is the service running? And if so, when you are behind the firewall are you able to access the machine via SSH? (FWIW, the '-p 22' shouldn't be necessary as that's the default)
    Travis
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Dumb question, but is the service running? And if so, when you are behind the firewall are you able to access the machine via SSH? (FWIW, the '-p 22' shouldn't be necessary as that's the default)

Just for clarification - what "service" should be running? And the FVG router is firewalled - but the port-forwarding should override that in the router's settings.

and - yeah - the -p 22 setting is redundant. i am doing just to make sure.