Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
  • Options
    AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:

I'm thinking this AF is going to be a watered downed version of the new 1D Mark IV imminent in the not so far future. Noticed 7D AF as no assist points. Thinking Mark IV 18MP this AF with Assist points.
    Think I'll just keep my 1D Mark III until the IV appears in early 2010

Ray Still
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Noticed no one has posted this link yet...I wonder why?ne_nau.gifscratch

Straight from Canon's Website...:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=19356#ModelTechSpecsAct

Didn't see mention of processor in these specs? Did you?

N
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited September 2, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Didn't see mention of processor in these specs? Did you?

N

Dual Digic 4 processors--curiously not mentioned in the specs tab, but it's the first entry in the features tab.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Dual Digic 4 processors--curiously not mentioned in the specs tab, but it's the first entry in the features tab.

Goodoh, R! Yes, that's what was being said everywhere else. Curious it didn't show in the specs on Canon's site, yes.

Man, that's a power of processing, eh?! Must be for the video, do you think?

I will buy the next upgrade which doesn't have video. Why pay for that baggage I will never use, in $ and camera resources. I'd much rather get a better still image - higher sensitivity, lower noise, higher resolution, better dynamic range, better AF, AE, and so on. That's where I want to put my $

Does Leica produce these +video monstrosities?

Best.

Neil

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited September 2, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Man, that's a power of processing, eh?! Must be for the video, do you think?

Dunno. If it's like the 1D series, the primary use would be for supporting high speed burst shooting with capture to two cards simultaneously if so desired.
  • Options
    AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Does it support AF Micro Adjustment? One would think so, but I don't see it in the specs anywhere and the manual is not avialble for download yet.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Does it support AF Micro Adjustment? One would think so, but I don't see it in the specs anywhere and the manual is not avialble for download yet.
    Interesting question. The 5D II does not have it in it's specs online either, a good sign?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Interesting question. The 5D II does not have it in it's specs online either, a good sign?

With the amount of processing power on board, the 7D should be able to figure this out for itself - or is micro adjustment more a question of user preference?
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    With the amount of processing power on board, the 7D should be able to figure this out for itself - or is micro adjustment more a question of user preference?
    Conceptually, the AF Microadjustment minimizes the difference in the lengths of the light path to the focusing aperatus and the sensor aperatus - remembering that the light takes a path seperate from that to the sensor during the focusing operation. It involves taking images at various AF MA points and reviewing the results to determine at what AF MA point is critical focus most closely attained.

I can see, from a conceptual POV, that the camera should be able to do this given a standardized focusing target. This would probably be something that, in this case, Canon would release/sell - and for way toooo much $$$ :D. Conceptually, you point the camera/lens combination at the target, press the magic sequence of buttons and menu selections, press the shutter button and the camera takes two looks at the target. The first look would be during the focus operation and the second would be an analysis of the resulting RAW data. Then the processors would compare the two images, flip a couple switches, make some adjustments, and alert the user to do it again for confirmation of correct adjustment. The rub would be in the first look - with what would the camera look at the target during the first look to generate/save the data needed for the third step - the analysis. But, that would still be pretty cool.
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:

The hands-on preview at dpreview lists AF microadjustment under custom function III-5:
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/page12.asp

Rob Galbraith's review mentions it:
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10042-10239-10240

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    Conceptually, the AF Microadjustment minimizes the difference in the lengths of the light path to the focusing aperatus and the sensor aperatus - remembering that the light takes a path seperate from that to the sensor during the focusing operation. It involves taking images at various AF MA points and reviewing the results to determine at what AF MA point is critical focus most closely attained.

I can see, from a conceptual POV, that the camera should be able to do this given a standardized focusing target. This would probably be something that, in this case, Canon would release/sell - and for way toooo much $$$ :D. Conceptually, you point the camera/lens combination at the target, press the magic sequence of buttons and menu selections, press the shutter button and the camera takes two looks at the target. The first look would be during the focus operation and the second would be an analysis of the resulting RAW data. Then the processors would compare the two images, flip a couple switches, make some adjustments, and alert the user to do it again for confirmation of correct adjustment. The rub would be in the first look - with what would the camera look at the target during the first look to generate/save the data needed for the third step - the analysis. But, that would still be pretty cool.

Fantastic, Scott!:D:D:D I think you should enter this for the Nebula Prize! mwink.gifrofl

N

• Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Dunno. If it's like the 1D series, the primary use would be for supporting high speed burst shooting with capture to two cards simultaneously if so desired.

Dunno, too. But the continuous-burst specs are not too different to the 40D to need dual processors, one might think???

N

• Options
    codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Dunno, too. But the continuous-burst specs are not too different to the 40D to need dual processors, one might think???

N

You need to look at the image size as well as the frame rate because it takes more power to process larger images. I believe the 7D and 50D use the same chip, but the 7D has two of them. 18Mpixel * 8 fps = 144Mpixels/second on the 7D, 15Mpixel * 6 fps on the 50D is 90Mpixels/second. They're getting 160% of the 50D's performance using two chips, which suggests the bottleneck is probably either in the memory bus or perhaps the mechanical mirror/shutter bits.

The 40D is the same frame rate as the 50D, but has only 2/3 as many pixels, and uses an older generation chip I believe.

--Ian
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:
    The hands-on preview at dpreview lists AF microadjustment under custom function III-5:
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/page12.asp

Rob Galbraith's review mentions it:
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10042-10239-10240

thumb.gif

but not the first specs on dpreview and canon site ... and thats what we curently have for the 7d as well
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    NeilL wrote:

N
    40D with 10 megapixels X 6.5 fps = 65 megapixels/second
    7D with 18 megapixels X 8 fps = 144 megapixels/second

So more than double the processing demand vs 40D, though the same isn't as true of the 50D: 15 X 6.5 = 97.5 megapixels/sec

The 7D has actually quite a bit more throughput than either mark III, both of which do around 100 megapixels/s

This camera sounds like every bird photographer's wildest dream come true, weather sealed, high frame rate, high pixel count APS-C camera with seemingly pro autofocus (with micro adjust).
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I really wonder if availability will be an issue this time. It seemed as if getting a 5DMII was difficult for over 6 months after introduction, driving many to make alternate choices.

Has there been any indication of availability and production rates?

Anything more than the 5DMII?

Did the success of the 5D surprise them?

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    codrus wrote:
    The 40D is the same frame rate as the 50D

Nope!

40D is slightly faster.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 2, 2009
    My guess is you can count on serious availability problems for many months after shipping begins. It might not be as bad as the 5DMII whose availability problems I believe were exacerbated by problems with their battery vendor. But there is clearly going to be a huge demand for this camera.

PS: Thank goodness it uses the same battery as the 5DMII. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    PS: Thank goodness it uses the same battery as the 5DMII. thumb.gif
    You don't say...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 2, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    You don't say...

Pretty much justifies the purchase right there, doesn't it? :D
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Pretty much justifies the purchase right there, doesn't it? :D
    pretty much, yeah:-)
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Alright, you two, just rub it in for those of us who have to figure out where the $ are coming from before we can start to justify it ... ::nono:):

I'm imagining the conversation now..... "But honey, you don't REALLY want me having to carry that heavy, cumbersome STE2 around with me every time I shoot, now do you? I mean it's great when you can come on a shoot with me to act as bag man, but just think how much less HELP I'll need if I don't have to have all that HEAVY EXTRA LIGHTING EQUIPMENT since the 7D has it all built in. No question about it. I really NEED to add a 2nd body to cut down on transmitter weight."

Oh yeah. I can seriously see THAT working rolleyes1.gif

(note to those who may be wondering: yes, I am kidding. I have 100% spousal support in endeavours photographic and, in fact, it's me who keeps the books so I know exactly how much we can and can't justify spending! Which is why I have to wait on this one for a little while, but I am already saving.... :D)
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Alright, you two, just rub it in for those of us who have to figure out where the $ are coming from before we can start to justify it ... ::nono:):

I'm imagining the conversation now..... "But honey, you don't REALLY want me having to carry that heavy, cumbersome STE2 around with me every time I shoot, now do you? I mean it's great when you can come on a shoot with me to act as bag man, but just think how much less HELP I'll need if I don't have to have all that HEAVY EXTRA LIGHTING EQUIPMENT since the 7D has it all built in. No question about it. I really NEED to add a 2nd body to cut down on transmitter weight."

Oh yeah. I can seriously see THAT working rolleyes1.gif

(note to those who may be wondering: yes, I am kidding. I have 100% spousal support in endeavours photographic and, in fact, it's me who keeps the books so I know exactly how much we can and can't justify spending! Which is why I have to wait on this one for a little while, but I am already saving.... :D)

haha..I didn't even know that wagging finger icon existed! lol It's about time canon got on board commander mode. Divamum you are so addicted to photography..it really shows. Time to get your kid on the corner with lemonade stand...moomy needs off camer TTL.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    drums.gif

I am sooooo ON this bandwagon.

20d your replacement has arrived!

ann
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Me? $ coming from? Man, I'm UE, and I'm happy if my CA UE check doesn't bounce, like it did for some...:cry
    But 7D... it's otra cosa aparte...mwink.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Me? $ coming from? Man, I'm UE, and I'm happy if my CA UE check doesn't bounce, like it did for some...:cry
    But 7D... it's otra cosa aparte...mwink.gif

I await your review and amazing work with this! I would love to get one, but I will wait. Definitely. I must be patient ... I need to sell my 30D, books, texts, kidneys...
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    haha..I didn't even know that wagging finger icon existed! lol It's about time canon got on board commander mode. Divamum you are so addicted to photography..it really shows. Time to get your kid on the corner with lemonade stand...moomy needs off camer TTL.

The really sad thing? I already HAVE off-camera TTL via my STE2... rolleyes1.gif
    Nikolai wrote:
    Me? $ coming from? Man, I'm UE, and I'm happy if my CA UE check doesn't bounce, like it did for some...
    But 7D... it's otra cosa aparte...

You've got your priorities right, dude thumb.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Nope!

40D is slightly faster.

The rating is slightly faster, but, as I understand it, that's due to a change in the way they measured it. :)

In any event, they both round to 6.

--Ian