Options

Canon 7D

Comments

• Options
    codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I await your review and amazing work with this! I would love to get one, but I will wait. Definitely. I must be patient ... I need to sell my 30D, books, texts, kidneys...

Kidneys? From what I read on CNN, that's good for $20K, so you should be aiming higher than a 7D! :)

--Ian
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    codrus wrote:
    The rating is slightly faster, but, as I understand it, that's due to a change in the way they measured it. :)

In any event, they both round to 6.

--Ian
    Yeah, it's all the same mechanism, but canon got caught cheating a little on the 40D spec sheet, since the camera only gets to 6.5 fps when you've got a super fast shutter speed set, the aperture doesn't have to stop down, and the planets align just right. So when it came time for the 50D specs they backed off a little... :D
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 3, 2009
    There's a more thorough review here: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/

It's 14 pages long, so make sure you keep hitting Next to see all the pages. Or, you can go directly to a page by a dropdown menu near the top.

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    There's a more thorough review here: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/

It's 14 pages long, so make sure you keep hitting Next to see all the pages. Or, you can go directly to a page by a dropdown menu near the top.

Regards,
    -joel

Yeah I'm in the middle of reading this. This camera is amazing and I'm almost tempted to go put a pre-order deposit down at the local camera shop... This...or new lens...pocket wizards...lighting equipment... Hmmm...
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    codrus wrote:
    Kidneys? From what I read on CNN, that's good for $20K, so you should be aiming higher than a 7D! :)

--Ian

Hey 7D and tons of Glass! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    No way would I sell a kidney for this camera although there are many features to like (at least from reading the spec). Top of my list would be:
    - better metering
    - 18 megapixel, for those times I want to crop seriously
    - better viewfinder, bigger and more sensible buttons.

Don't have a problem with auto focus on my 40D, so don't know about that.

I would worry about the video - seems too low frame rate for PAL in HD. Not that I use video on my DSLR, but you never know.

Seems to be aimed at the rich amateur - "prosumer". Lots of specification stretch that most of us will never use. People who like to tick boxes will love it.

I don't suppose the real pros will be tempted - the 5D and 1D have too much going for them. Plus, if it is your business, you can write a lot of the price off against tax.

I like the fact that 7D probably ups the value of my 17-55 lens - not that I intend to sell - because it is a vote for EFS.

Launching such a product in the middle of a recession looks risky. How many bird photographers are out there? As my mother would say, the 7D is likely for people with more money than sense
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    ... Launching such a product in the middle of a recession looks risky. How many bird photographers are out there? As my mother would say, the 7D is likely for people with more money than sense
    I'd like to be one of these people, but since I'm not, I won't be selling my kidney either.:D

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    I'd like to be one of these people, but since I'm not, I won't be selling my kidney either.:D

Cuong

Lame!! Where is the dedication!! rolleyes1.gif Just kidding. You gotta do what you gotta do. I won't be selling a kidney, for sure, but I would like to pick one of these cameras up.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Lame!! Where is the dedication!! rolleyes1.gif Just kidding. You gotta do what you gotta do. I won't be selling a kidney, for sure, but I would like to pick one of these cameras up.
    Actually, this is THE camera I've been waiting for since the disappointing 50D came out. Since I'm not one of those people with more $$$ than sense, I'll have to find a way to get it eventually.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited September 4, 2009
    I believe that the Canon 7D is a camera to fill the gap between the xxD series and the 1D series camera lines "and" it is a more direct response to the Nikon D300/D300s models.

As such, I think it will find a ready audience.

I do not believe that the AF system has the same sensitivity of the Canon 1D/1Ds series cameras so they will prevail for night and indoor sports and action for the professional market.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future, we will also see an upgraded 1D MKIII as well as an updated 1Ds MKIII. Likely additions will be extra ISO ratings as well as the latest imager technology (gapless lenses), newer image processors (Digic IV) and larger shot buffers.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I believe that the Canon 7D is a camera to fill the gap between the xxD series and the 1D series camera lines "and" it is a more direct response to the Nikon D300/D300s models.

As such, I think it will find a ready audience.

I do not believe that the AF system has the same sensitivity of the Canon 1D/1Ds series cameras so they will prevail for night and indoor sports and action for the professional market.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future, we will also see an upgraded 1D MKIII as well as an updated 1Ds MKIII. Likely additions will be extra ISO ratings as well as the latest imager technology (gapless lenses), newer image processors (Digic IV) and larger shot buffers.

Which kinda leaves the following question open: is there gonna abe 60D? headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 4, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Which kinda leaves the following question open: is there gonna abe 60D? headscratch.gif
    :nah I think you're looking at it.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    :nah I think you're looking at it.

Absolutely!

I'll wait until I hear from users about the response of the AF before jumping at this.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:

My own guess is that there will be a slimmed down version of the 7D, probably called the 70D, that will be single image processor driven and slower frame rate, but with the same basic imager with fewer readout channels. It will have similar environmental seals as the 50D and probably the same battery as well. Probably many months away.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    My own guess is that there will be a slimmed down version of the 7D, probably called the 70D, that will be single image processor driven and slower frame rate, but with the same basic imager with fewer readout channels. It will have similar environmental seals as the 50D and probably the same battery as well. Probably many months away.

Which would not necessarily be a bad thing for those of us who don't need the fast fps but would like some of the other goodies the 7d is offering .... :D
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    So basically Canon is going to have the following line-up:
    • x00D - entry level (under $800)
    • x0D - prosumer (under $1500)
    • xD - low end pro (under $3K)
    • 1Dx - high end pro (sky is the limit)
    headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    latest imager technology (gapless lenses)

What is that Ziggy ?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    What is that Ziggy ?
    no unused space between sensels (as in 50D, but better)
    http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/CanonEOS7D/Images/whatsnew_microlenses.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    headscratch.gif

Looks like you're way off on this, Nik.

Where does the 5D MKII or 1DMKIII...full frame prosumer and 1.3 crop pro bodies fit in here?
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Manuals are online:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=19356#DownloadDetailAct

The camera has micro adjustment with C.Fn III-5 (p. 211).
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    headscratch.gif

Almost. The 1D and 1Ds series cameras are both professional level, just designed for different applications.
    The 1D/1D MKII/1D MKIIN/1D MKIII are the "sports/action" professional cameras.
    The 1Ds/1Ds MKII/1Ds MKIII are the "studio" grade professional cameras, also for landscape, portraiture, etc. Some professionals also use the 1Ds cameras for sports/action when they don't need the rapid frame rate of the 1D cameras because in other methods of responsiveness they are identical. (AF speed, metering speed and accuracy, shutter recycle speed and mirror blackout.)

Canon EOS, 5D/5D MKII and 7D are the high end "prosumer" models.

Canon EOS, 10D/20D/30D/40D/50D are the lower end "prosumer" models.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel, 300D/350D/400D/450D/500D are the "consumer" models (formerly entry level as well).

Canon EOS Digital Rebel, 1000D is the "entry level" model.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    I always think this obsession with what is pro/prosumer/consumer is a load of nonsense TBH. I've seen some great photos from a 350d and some total crap from a 1DS mark 3. You can certainly use the prosumer bodies for professional work as they are robust and reliable and produce great results with the right lens. It's the brain behind the camera that matters most of all, of course.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    Ziggy...are you saying that a 60D (or whatever they choose to call it) is a possibility?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    It's the brain behind the camera that matters most of all, of course

Those brains need cameras to match the intellect.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Ziggy...are you saying that a 60D (or whatever they choose to call it) is a possibility?headscratch.gif

I would bet on it. There is enough new technology in the 7D that they will leverage some of it into a lesser version just to recoup some R&D costs. The timing will depend partly on the global market and global economy. If the market isn't there, they will just run production longer on the 50D and drop its prices a bit..
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    no unused space between sensels (as in 50D, but better)
    whatsnew_microlenses.jpg

So how does this affect the image capture process? Sharper? Less noise? Diffraction solving? etc.
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    Duckys54 wrote:
    So how does this affect the image capture process? Sharper? Less noise? Diffraction solving? etc.

The major benefit is more closely packed photo sites with more accurately focused light at each site which should translate to the same sensitivity even though less light falls onto each site. This means more pixels with no more noise (theoretically). It can also mean less light scatter, which should yield better resistance to super-saturating neighboring sites.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    dmeiselman wrote:
    I've been trying to figure out what market Canon is gunning for with the 7D.

Nikon defined that market with the D200 and REALLY lept ahead of Canon with the D300. This is Canon's reply -- and about time!

Lee
  • Options
    brascothombrascothom Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2009
    Hi Everyone..

I have seen the specs on the 7D, and am curious about wireless flash control. I have a 40D and 430EX flashes. I occasionally use the 580 as master to fire the 430 as slave in 2-flash setups. For reasons of weight, versatility having both flashes off camera, rotating the camera to portrait and not having the flash to the side, I was considering getting the wireless flash transmitter ST-E2. Does the 7D incorporate that functionality, with the ability to set up flash groups and ratios? That would make it even more attractive to me.