Options

Canon 7D

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,834 moderator
    edited September 7, 2009
    brascothom wrote:
    Hi Everyone..

I have seen the specs on the 7D, and am curious about wireless flash control. I have a 40D and 430EX flashes. I occasionally use the 580 as master to fire the 430 as slave in 2-flash setups. For reasons of weight, versatility having both flashes off camera, rotating the camera to portrait and not having the flash to the side, I was considering getting the wireless flash transmitter ST-E2. Does the 7D incorporate that functionality, with the ability to set up flash groups and ratios? That would make it even more attractive to me.

Brascothom, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

While the 7D does appear to incorporate the first "Integrated Speedlite Transmitter" in a Canon camera, there are very few details other than "three groups of four flashes" control which sounds encouraging. There are no specifications yet (that I could find) regarding the range or angular coverage of the new flash transmitter so thinking that this in-camera capability will somehow replace the ST-E2 flash transmitter are somewhat premature.

If you are otherwise happy with your 40D then the ST-E2 is still fairly economical versus a new camera body.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Brascothom, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

While the 7D does appear to incorporate the first "Integrated Speedlite Transmitter" in a Canon camera, there are very few details other than "three groups of four flashes" control which sounds encouraging. There are no specifications yet (that I could find) regarding the range or angular coverage of the new flash transmitter so thinking that this in-camera capability will somehow replace the ST-E2 flash transmitter are somewhat premature.

If you are otherwise happy with your 40D then the ST-E2 is still fairly economical versus a new camera body.

The manual is now online at Canon....
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=19356#DownloadDetailAct

Wireless flash info starts at p119. The flash-controller setup looks similar to the STE2 (or probably more like the 580ex since it controls 3 groups). Same ratios etc.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    The manual is now online at Canon....
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=19356#DownloadDetailAct

Wireless flash info starts at p119. The flash-controller setup looks similar to the STE2 (or probably more like the 580ex since it controls 3 groups). Same ratios etc.

Thanks for that link. thumb.gif

While the Wireless Flash Transmitter specifications are still not listed in the specifications section, they are indicated in the descriptive section and in the diagrams.

It appears that the rated distances for the wireless flash operation for the 7D as controller are:

10m indoors and straight ahead (almost 33 ft.) to 7m (23 ft.) at 40 degrees off axis (for 80 degree coverage.)

Outdoors is 7m straight ahead and 5m (16 ft.) off axis.

The ST-E2, by comparison, is "Approx. 12-15 m/39.4 - 49.2 ft; Outdoors: Approx. 8-10 m/ 26.2-32.8 ft", according to the specifications:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=ModelTechSpecsTabAct&fcategoryid=217&modelid=8304

Not a bad performance from the in-camera wireless flash controller at all.

Now what would be "really" cool is the ability to use both the on-board controller "and" the ST-E2 simultaneously. If the ST-E2 were mounted via an off camera cord, it would lend a tremendous flexibility in off-camera flash positioning.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    If they do the 7D treatment to the 5DmkIII, it would at least tempt me to switch back. Canon, for all their fabulous R&D and industry-leading tech, are slow on the uptake with regard to what people actually WANT. The 7D is a really great stride toward how they should be making cameras.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    IRM (Internet Rumor Mill) mentions shipping ETA as October...
    Anybody knows/heard any different? ear.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    IRM (Internet Rumor Mill) mentions shipping ETA as October...
    Anybody knows/heard any different? ear.gif
    Same here - late October is all I've read as well.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 11, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Almost. The 1D and 1Ds series cameras are both professional level, just designed for different applications.
    The 1D/1D MKII/1D MKIIN/1D MKIII are the "sports/action" professional cameras.
    The 1Ds/1Ds MKII/1Ds MKIII are the "studio" grade professional cameras, also for landscape, portraiture, etc. Some professionals also use the 1Ds cameras for sports/action when they don't need the rapid frame rate of the 1D cameras because in other methods of responsiveness they are identical. (AF speed, metering speed and accuracy, shutter recycle speed and mirror blackout.)

Canon EOS, 5D/5D MKII and 7D are the high end "prosumer" models
    I've been spending a lot of time with high-end wedding pros lately and I'm having trouble thinking of any who haven't retired their 1Ds MKIIIs for the 5D MKII. The biggest reason is being able to shoot clean at ISO 2000. And more of them are starting to shoot video now in addition to stills.
  • Options
    Well... I clicked. :D

20090911-xdtua13mm2i3s1u6yx8eceebbd.jpg
  • Options
    Baldy wrote:
    Well... I clicked. :D
    Well... Well-come to the club! :D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    If you're on the fence....
    This should push you one way or the other...

Stephen Eastwood has, it appears, been shooting/testing with a pre-production 7D for a while.

Here's a link to some shots at ISO 100 and the last two at ISO 3200 (EXIF found at the bottom of each photo
    http://stepheneastwood.com/Canon/amy_7t/

Here is a link to some still-life shots, comparing the 5D2 to the 7D at various ISO settings. Again, EXIF is found at the bottom of the larger images.
    http://stepheneastwood.com/Canon/iso_comp_7/index.htm
  • Options
    This should push you one way or the other...

Stephen Eastwood has, it appears, been shooting/testing with a pre-production 7D for a while.

Here's a link to some shots at ISO 100 and the last two at ISO 3200 (EXIF found at the bottom of each photo
    http://stepheneastwood.com/Canon/amy_7t/

Here is a link to some still-life shots, comparing the 5D2 to the 7D at various ISO settings. Again, EXIF is found at the bottom of the larger images.
    http://stepheneastwood.com/Canon/iso_comp_7/index.htm

Good catch Scott. thumb.gif

Comparing ISO 3200, the 5D MKII is predictably smoother grain, but the difference is not as much as I would have predicted. Either could produce a usable 8" x 10" (or 8" x 12") for highly detailed subject matter. I would rate the 5DM2 as maybe 2/3rd stop better than the 7D.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    Anybody know what this mode is exactly on the 7D?

Exposure Control: Program AE (Shiftable), Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Creative Auto, Full auto, Manual exposure, E-TTL II autoflash program AE
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>

</o:p>
    <o:p>I'm refering to (E-TTL II autoflash program AE)</o:p>
    Randy
  • Options
    rwells wrote:
    Anybody know what this mode is exactly on the 7D?

Exposure Control: Program AE (Shiftable), Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Creative Auto, Full auto, Manual exposure, E-TTL II autoflash program AE
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>

</o:p>
    <o:p>I'm refering to (E-TTL II autoflash program AE)</o:p>

The same exact phrase is used in the Canon XT description so I think it's just a long description for good old E-TTL II flash automation.

http://tiny.cc/nDUKt
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Hello
    Is there any expected update of 580EX2 coming in ?
    headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Hello
    Is there any expected update of 580EX2 coming in ?
    headscratch.gif
    Awais, what's wrong with the current version if you don't mind my asking?
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:

I don't know, i never used flash clap.gifclap

Actually i saved enough to purchase a flash, just thought to wait for new version if it is coming out.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    This covers most of my issues.

I just *struggled* and couldn't keep up with the Nikon people during the session with Joe McNally.

I think my main issues are with the ratios, independent group controls, and the ability to use TTL.

I can get around some of this with the new PW or the new radio poppers....
  • Options
    I don't know, i never used flash clap.gifclap
    Actually i saved enough to purchase a flash, just thought to wait for new version if it is coming out.
    AFAIK it's not even on the horizon, But of course, PMA can prove me 10% wrong.
    FWIW, unless you're planning to shoot a lot of party candids or red carpets, on camera flash is not that useful. You'd need to at least consider an off camera cord or something else (like ST-E2, or PW Flex, etc.).
    Mind you, the moment you start talking "lighting" you can forget about glass (let along bodies) being expensive... deal.gifne_nau.gif
  • Options
    I don't think I'll ditch the 5D MKII but I was really interested in the 8 fps and crop factor for the action shooting that's hard with the 5D.
  • Options
    Baldy wrote:
    I don't think I'll ditch the 5D MKII but I was really interested in the 8 fps and crop factor for the action shooting that's hard with the 5D.
    Me neither. FF is not something I'm gonna lose. But a fast frame rate shooter has its advantages (3fps in 5D2 is not good for anything but bracketing), as does EF-S compatibility. I also hope it will have better/faster low-light AF capability (cause 5D2 is not a great low light player AF wise).
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    aktse wrote:

I just *struggled* and couldn't keep up with the Nikon people during the session with Joe McNally.

I think my main issues are with the ratios, independent group controls, and the ability to use TTL.

April:

I have seen your photos from the McNally class and the Cali model event - there isn't much handicaping your talent! Some super stuff, from a confusing system.

When are your workshops to begin? I will sign up!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    aktse wrote:

Well, I agree, N-world has its adavantages in speedlight area. And yes, I saw that article, very good one. And yes, having all those features done would be awesome.
    Luckily for me, I don't use speedlights much :-) mwink.gif, and when I do, I pretty much need one thing and one thing only - for it to flash. TTL is ok, but push comes to shove I'm fine with manual mode.
    Just like with all those fancy phones, I'm primarily interested in only one piece of their functionality: being able to make the durn call or receive it.
  • Options
    I need to remind folks that the 7D may have improved AF versus the 50D and before (I would bet on it), but it will not be the speed of the Canon 1D/1Ds cameras.

One limitation the 7D appears to inherit from the 50D is the shutter mechanism, or at least it looks very similar.

According to "the-digital-picture.com" the 7D has the same Shutter Lag and Viewfinder Blackout as the 50D. Since AF is a component of Shutter Lag and the AF section is disabled during Blackout, so the improvement for AF "cannot" be as fast as the 1D MKIII (for instance) with a lag of 4-19ms less and a blackout of 20ms less.

The dual image processors will undoubtedly help as will the AF module improvements, but until the lag and and blackout times are improved there won't be a magnitude improvement in AF.

The Dual-Cross-type (center) SIR AF module of the 7D is also limited in sensitivity to lenses of f5.6 aperture or faster. The Area SIR AF of the 1D/1Ds has sensitivity to f8 apertures and can "see" any subject shape.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I need to remind folks that the 7D may have improved AF versus the 50D and before (I would bet on it), but it will not be the speed of the Canon 1D/1Ds cameras.
    If it were, it would prolly cost a bit more than $1,699. mwink.gif
    Good points, as always! thumb.gif
    I think 50D was fairly snappy AF-wise, and while I do understand it isn't 1D series, I was happy with what I was getting $-wise, too:-)
    Can't wait to see how the 5D2 + 7D combo would work! :D
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    If it were, it would prolly cost a bit more than $1,699. mwink.gif
    Good points, as always! thumb.gif
    I think 50D was fairly snappy AF-wise, and while I do understand it isn't 1D series, I was happy with what I was getting $-wise, too:-)
    Can't wait to see how the 5D2 + 7D combo would work! :D

Yeah me too! Go get one, Nik and share!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2009
    Yeah me too! Go get one, Nik and share!
    Oh I *am* getting one :-) And you can bet that I will share:-)
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2009
    Just to stir the pot: somebody is getting it on Sep 21st
    http://www.avalive.com/Canon/3814B004-EOS-7D/87198/productDetail.php
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    Pre ordered mine today. Expected at the store here Sept. 28.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    studio1972 wrote:
    I always think this obsession with what is pro/prosumer/consumer is a load of nonsense TBH. I've seen some great photos from a 350d and some total crap from a 1DS mark 3. You can certainly use the prosumer bodies for professional work as they are robust and reliable and produce great results with the right lens. It's the brain behind the camera that matters most of all, of course.

I'm afraid I have to agree with the other post, the camera does matter. As the owner of a XX0d/Rebel-class camera (that I am very happy with since it fits 98% of what I want to shoot) there have been pro situations where my camera stopped me. For example, I joined a friend in a studio but could not use the monolights because the Rebel-class body has no sync terminal. The UI and handling is clumsier, the flash sync speed is lower which affects flash vs ambient techniques, the focusing system isn't as good, etc. Again, I have no regrets about owning a "consumer" camera, but I certainly am aware of the situations in which it holds one back compared to if a "pro" body was in my hand.

Great photographers will do great work with any camera, but if you have a great camera, at least your equipment isn't holding you back or making you work harder than necessary. Nobody who is serious needs to put up with that. And so you get a pro body.

Back on thread topic, after all the Rebel has taught me, I want to move up. I think I can wait to see how much of the 7D Canon moves into the 5DMKIII or whatever they call that.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Pre ordered mine today. Expected at the store here Sept. 28.

I wonder how many of these will make it to Acadia?

I'll be sticking to the 5DMKII for a while or the divorce will cost me a fortune.:D

I will be interested to see the high iso shots in real world usage from this camera.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.