*ENTRY* Thread DSS #48 (Lo-Fi digital [SOOC])

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited April 19, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #48

Welcome to Round #48 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, April 5th, 8:00am, PST time (GMT -7) to Monday, April 19, 08:00am, PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Lo-Fi digital [SOOC]

Here it is, the challenge for everyone. If you have an expensive super mega pixel camera that's great but your results might actually be better with a point and shoot this time around.
This round is all about low fidelity, softness, blur, vignettes, out of focus, distorted creative freedom.

If the process you decide to use in your capture creates a frame it is perfectly fine.

There is one very important rule in this theme that must not be broken: You must shoot using JPG mode straight out of the camera (SOOC), no RAW, TIFF or any other format other than JPG.
The important thing I will be looking for in your EXIF's is that the "Date Taken" and "Date Modified", date and time are identical. In some cases there may not be a date modified.

You can manipulate the JPG settings in camera however you like (before pressing the shutter) but the JPG must never be loaded into any software to do any editing whatsoever.

If your camera has built in or 3rd party software that allows you to edit the image within the camera after the shutter has been pressed and such edits do not obey proper EXIF rules either by not updating the Modified field or by ignoring it all together then you are bending the spirit of the rules. Such editing while impossible to prove will be frowned upon.

No watermarks are allowed. (would require editing)
You may use the SmugMug cropping tool after the image is uploaded if a crop is wanted.
If you do not want to upload a large resolution image then set your JPG size to a smaller size when shooting.
You may tell us what was used to create the image in your description but it is not a requirement.

A reminder that even though cheap film and toy cameras are traditionally used to create lo-fi photography you will not be able to enter any image created without a digital camera that produces a proper EXIF.

Some ideas on what to do to make a lo-fi image:
Garbage bag over the lens = quasi IR filter
Plastic wrap 1 or many layers = distortion
Melted translucent plastic = more distortion
Old Dryer sheet = softening
Vaseline on an old sky filter = soft, streaks and painterly effects. = a great tutorial here
Old glasses = quasi fish eye
Shoot through jars, glass blocks or the bottom of drinking glasses.
Steamy or wet dripping windows.
Frosted or stained glass.
Pinhole (Unfortunately only for DSLR not Point and shoot cameras) = see here for help
Anything else that you can find to put in front of your lens that gives you a lo-fi look.
Lensbaby lenses are okay to use as well.

One example of what this challenge is asking you to do is an image that pyroPrints.com created for challenge #10 Click here

Your Judges:
Velvet-Art (Winner of Round 45)
Guest Judge: slpollett

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use any other format for shooting other than JPG and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications

Comments

• WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Oooh, Great choice! You do realize that I will have to try every single one of your suggestions. rolleyes1.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 5, 2010
    looks like this is going to be fun!thumb.gif
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    This is seriously going to be a blast. clap.gif
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    This is a really great theme, the theme being the method of getting the shot instead of the subject of the shot.

Isnt it typical though, when the challenge involves taking soft, fuzzy pics ( which I seem to have a real talent for ) I cant enter it:D:D

Anyway, I am really looking forward to seeing all of what you guys will produce.

Tim
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Oh, this is easy - anybody can do it mwink.gif

Sounds like we'll have a lot of fun here rolleyes1.gif

Interesting to try all your suggestions - I couldn't resist and tried already a test - COOL!!! clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • fotomomfotomom Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    I'm excited!
    I think I might have done this a time or two before:ivar
    Time to get out the glass and beads and anything else that might be cool!
    Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!
    ~
    Maryann
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Can I use an iPhone? Does it generate EXIF data? Will have to check. If I can use an iPhone, can I use one of the camera apps to take the photo (which would be in-camera processing)? Just thinking.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    One example of what this challenge is asking you to do is an image that pyroPrints.com created for challenge #10 Click here

Yay, I'm an example :c)

This'll be fun.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • TLVoDraTLVoDra Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Giddy
    I am already giddy with excitement about the next challenge...you see...I just got my new Lensbaby in the mail last week and have been dying to play with it. I love these challenges for forcing me to learn things I might otherwise put off until another day.

I have to get some bubble wrap...lots of bubble wrap...oh, and some old milk cartons. Oh, my gosh. The possibilities are going to keep me awake at night. clap.gif
    Tammy~
    "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun..." Mary Poppins
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    ghinson wrote:
    Can I use an iPhone? Does it generate EXIF data? Will have to check. If I can use an iPhone, can I use one of the camera apps to take the photo (which would be in-camera processing)? Just thinking.

I am not sure if the iPhone creates proper EXIF data. I know my 3G non s version does not. If your version does and puts a creation and modification date into the EXIF when uploaded to the gallery that are both identical then go for it.

Just keep in mind that the spirit behind this challenge is to create your best image without software tools other than the ones in a regular camera like contrast, sharpness, saturation etc... If the iPhone software does not conform to proper standards and does not update a modification date within EXIF when "editing" outside of it's standard photo application then you are essentially bending the rules beyond what would be considered fair play. I will leave it up to your own judgment.
    edited April 5, 2010
    An update to the last post
    Regarding camera phones including the iPhone.

I was curious about how the iPhone produces the EXIF information and if it properly updates it when a photo is edited after pressing the shutter.

After experimenting with the built in camera application and two others PhoneGrafer as well as PS Mobile, I have come to these conclusions.

The built in application does produce proper EXIF info.
    PhoneGrafer produces correct EXIF but does not update the Modified data when an image is processed.
    PS Mobile strips the Time and date EXIF info from an edited photo.

Based on these findings I will be updating the rules to be a bit more specific in the area of in camera modifications. The spirit behind the rules already stated are that all the Lo-Fi effects are produced when you press the shutter. Any settings that you can make to how your camera creates the JPG file at the time of shutter press is fair game.

If your camera has built in or 3rd party software that allows you to edit the image within the camera after the shutter has been pressed and such edits do not obey proper EXIF rules either by not updating the Modified field or by ignoring it all together then you are bending the spirit of the rules. Such editing while impossible to prove will be frowned upon.

Thanks for pointing out this loophole deal.gif
    edited April 5, 2010
    sherstone wrote:

Thanks for pointing out this loophole deal.gif

Glad to help out. There are some fabulous camera apps for the iPhone that do exactly what you're asking for here, without after-shutter modifications. For example, Hipstamatic, Lo-mob, Shake it, etc. Great, fun results.

But I'm not sure about their EXIF data, and it probably defeats the spirit of this challenge.

But I am not putting Vaseline on my 70-200/2.8! mwink.gif
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 5, 2010
    ghinson wrote:

I know your joking but for anyone else. Please Please Please DO NOT put Vaseline on anything that you even remotely care about. NEVER put it on your actual lens. You can achieve the effect using a clear or sky filter, cheap low quality ones can be had for virtually little or no cost. You can even achieve the effect using a small piece of acrylic or plexi glass. Failing all that try putting it on a clear plastic lunch zip bag.

In regards to iPhone software that produces effect settings before the shutter release. :smack Definately not what I had in mind when I wrote my exhaustive list of stipulations on how to have fun with Lo-Fi.
    edited April 5, 2010
    I have a flickr set of iPhone photos. Getty Images actually contacted me about one of them, wanting to represent the photo.

4410679441_dd2577cd70.jpg

Only problem is, they then wanted me to upload a high resolution version of the photo. Uh. Not possible. 1400x1400 is all you get from Hipstamatic!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Cant wait to use my new D700 to take crappy photos! hehe...
    Jer
    edited April 5, 2010
    ghinson wrote:
    I have a flickr set of iPhone photos.

I found and looked at them. (wife's iPhone?) As a final product they are very close to what I envisioned in my mind when developing this round. The problem is I also wanted this round to be as close to SOOC as possible. Using software that "filters" the photo before or after pressing the shutter just crushes my hope for everyone to try something creative outside of Photoshop or Lightroom, meaning outside of the darkroom.

The iPhone is certainly pushing the threshold and is becoming a camera with the darkroom built in. Combine all those features with the fact that we carry it with us wherever we go and it becomes more valuable than a DSLR for impromptu photo creativity? ne_nau.gif

BTW - The effect you posted could still be approximated by finding an old view camera and shooting the image projected onto the ground glass viewfinder. Hence my reasoning for allowing natural frames in the entries.
    edited April 5, 2010
    Cant wait to use my new D700 to take crappy photos! hehe...
    I too found it intensely funny taking blurry photos with a plastic Lensbaby attached to a 21 mega pixel camera body. It is also intensely fun!
    edited April 5, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    I too found it intensely funny taking blurry photos with a plastic Lensbaby attached to a 21 mega pixel camera body. It is also intensely fun!

I'm tempted to turn my body cap into a pin hole lens... but I dont want to ruin it... I might do it anyways, and just buy a new cap. They're probably what... like $5?
    Jer
    edited April 5, 2010
    They're probably what... like $5?

nod.gif in some cases less.
    edited April 5, 2010
    I'm gonna do it!
    Jer
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    So, I was all excited to see the new theme as we were driving into NYC for the day....what would I be looking for for the challenge???

Ugh! Laughing.gif...I have a bunch of pretty interesting images, I think.... even took out my envtouch phone and played around with that for a bit....
    I have no idea if any of them even begin to satisfy the requirements...
    (or if the camera phone has EXIF!!!!)
    but it should be interesting to see....
    I get home tomorrow and can try some other stuff too...thanks for making me look with new eyes today in Manhattan!!!
  • BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    What would be great is a pictorial documentary of the "rig" in question...so if you can, take a photo of the bubble wrap gaffered around the lens or whatever (using another camera of course!).

This also goes for regular challenges, sometimes a member uses a set, lightcube or backlighting etc. It would be great to have a photo taken of the set or the lighting setup or whatnot so that we can gain some behind the scenes insight into the production of the shot.

These photos can be shared in the unofficial topic thread after the challenge has closed.

What do you think?

Stephen Marsh

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    For once I have the right camera for the challenge!

Digital-Blue-LEGO-camera.jpg

Lego baby!
  • sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    Cool iphone apps (and great dog picture) -- but, I agree, not in the spirit of the challenge.

But, interesting how tough it is to define the boundary now. We're saying "traditional" features you could change on a camera, but changing iso on the fly is certainly a new thing, and, really, not all that different from changing the "curves" filter. It's a brave new world (even for those of us who didn't know the old world).

Perhaps the smart phone contest will be another challenge here (though Adorama is currently running a contest).

I agree that a good addition would be for at least the finalists to post descriptions of how they did their picture. It will keep us thinking about what the parameters of the challenge are.
    ghinson wrote:
    Glad to help out. There are some fabulous camera apps for the iPhone that do exactly what you're asking for here, without after-shutter modifications. For example, Hipstamatic, Lo-mob, Shake it, etc. Great, fun results.

But I'm not sure about their EXIF data, and it probably defeats the spirit of this challenge.

• SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    Maybe next time define it as a
    SLR contest
    POS contest
    Camera Phone contest
    Pinhole shoebox contest. :)
  • fotomomfotomom Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    Nintendo DSi
    Just in case you're interested, the Nintendo DSi cameras (yes, there are 2 in it) has many built-in options including kaleidoscope which produce the correct exif data. After reading the discussion going on here, I was just curious and went to look at one of the pics I uploaded from my son's game/camera:
    http://fotomom.smugmug.com/Children/Joey-DSi-Camera/11710281_ULxVK#826377813_MFhhe

You choose the filter and then click the shutter.

I agree this is not in the spirit of the challenge. Just saying...

Here is an example, though, that I did a while back with a cheap pair of fancy sunglasses that I do think is in the spirit (tell me if I'm wrong):
    http://fotomom.smugmug.com/Daily-Photos/My-Best-Daily-Shots/8520201_U76qq#739501132_aj3vM

Best regards,
    Maryann
    edited April 6, 2010
    Sean... "You may use the SmugMug cropping tool after the image is uploaded if a crop is wanted."

I have never used this feature. Isn't it a editing program and if so will it change the original exif? I do have an image I want to crop a little off of...but not if its going to make the image inelegible. Thanks.
  • MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    I never used this feature before today either. I slightly cropped the two flower pics I posted earlier today and it works great. No change to EXIF, taken and modified remain the same. :)
    edited April 6, 2010
    MikeK wrote:
    I never used this feature before today either. I slightly cropped the two flower pics I posted earlier today and it works great. No change to EXIF, taken and modified remain the same. :)

Thanks for the info Mike!!thumb.gif
    edited April 6, 2010
    JAG wrote:

I have never used this feature. Isn't it a editing program and if so will it change the original exif? I do have an image I want to crop a little off of...but not if its going to make the image inelegible. Thanks.

I see you have your answer already. I tested the tool beforehand to make sure it did not change Exif. It is really the only editing that I wanted to see in this round. I personally find not being able to crop a very large inhibitor of creativity, especially when I am so partial to 2:1 ratios mwink.gif