Options

Adobe CS5

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited April 14, 2010
    HarlanBear wrote:
    Stayed with CS3, but keeping my eyes on this upgrade.

Well, we know a lot more now than when I made that post, and it certainly looks promising. For Mac users with more than 4GB it's a no-brainer. For me, the only issue now is whether it's going to kill my computer, a 3GB XP-Pro, Core 2 Duo T7300, Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M machine. If the real world reports suggest that the hardware is up for it, I'm sold. deal.gif

Edit: I was writing at the same time colourbox posted, but it looks like we are in complete agreement.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Well, we know a lot more now than when I made that post, and it certainly looks promising. For Mac users with more than 4GB it's a no-brainer. For me, the only issue now is whether it's going to kill my computer, a 3GB XP-Pro, Core 2 Duo T7300, Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M machine. If the real world reports suggest that the hardware is up for it, I'm sold. deal.gif

Edit: I was writing at the same time colourbox posted, but it looks like we are in complete agreement.

I hate to quote myself, but
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1367993&postcount=21
    I have been using it for quite a while. Latest builds are acceptable speedwise even on the older harware. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2010
    Nikolai wrote:
    I hate to quote myself, but
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1367993&postcount=21
    I have been using it for quite a while. Latest builds are acceptable speedwise even on the older harware. deal.gif

Right, Nik, but you said before that it "ran the same," but you didn't say till now that it ran acceptably. rolleyes1.gif Glad to hear that it does. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Right, Nik, but you said before that it "ran the same," but you didn't say till now that it ran acceptably. rolleyes1.gif Glad to hear that it does. thumb.gif
    Well, in any case it has 30 day trial. More than enough to decided if it's "acceptable" for any particular hardware or not.
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    The answer should be obvious but there's one thing that's sometimes overlooked. If you are running CS3 on a great machine for the CS3 era then CS5 might overwhelm it. If you have or plan to upgrade your hardware to something current, then the really cool stuff that got added in CS4 and CS5 will stomp all over CS3.

Oh, I agree! I was just laughing at myself when everyone is talking about upgrading from CS3 or 4 and here I am still on CS. I am running a new iMac that can handle CS5 without an issue. :D

Let's see if I can talk my wife into it! deal.gif
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    Of course, that too, Ric!

One can always use Gimp, for free.

But Adobe does manage to sell a few copies of its products, now and then.
    Of course they do, and CS5 seems to make some amazing advances, but am I the only one who thinks that $599 is a ridiculous price to upgrade from CS4????? I'm inclined to take what I can get from LR3 when it becomes "official" and leave CS5 behind at that price.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    KED wrote:
    Of course they do, and CS5 seems to make some amazing advances, but am I the only one who thinks that $599 is a ridiculous price to upgrade from CS4?????.

Well, if you're paying $599 then obviously you're upgrading a whole suite, which in the case of the Design suite is seven major apps, which works out really to around $85 per product to upgrade. A great deal if you use all the apps, terrible deal if you use only one or two.

If you were just wanting to upgrade Photoshop, I think it's $199. A little steep since I remember when they were $129 or $149, but on the other hand, if you tried to buy a set of plug-ins that would equal the CS5 upgrade you would certainly pay more than $199.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2010
    I just saw where the CS5 Extended student edition is only $199!

Time to upgrade from CS! WOO HOO!wings.gif
    Michael

Facebook
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
    Wachel wrote:
    Time to upgrade from CS! WOO HOO!wings.gif

One can only upgrade 3 versions, so CS2 is the only option for CS5.

You can upgrade from CS to CS4 (if still available), then from CS4 to CS5.

Stephen Marsh

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2010
    BinaryFx wrote:
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

One can only upgrade 3 versions, so CS2 is the only option for CS5.

You can upgrade from CS to CS4 (if still available), then from CS4 to CS5.

Yeah, I know. I can buy the FULL version of CS5 Extended for $199 if you are a student (or one of your kids are). No upgrade purchase needed. :D

https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?&store=OLS-EDU#loc=en_us&view=ols_prod&categoryOid=4529549&category=/Applications/PhotoshopExtendedSTE&store=OLS-EDU
    Michael

Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    Well, if you're paying $599 then obviously you're upgrading a whole suite, which in the case of the Design suite is seven major apps, which works out really to around $85 per product to upgrade. A great deal if you use all the apps, terrible deal if you use only one or two.

If you were just wanting to upgrade Photoshop, I think it's $199. A little steep since I remember when they were $129 or $149, but on the other hand, if you tried to buy a set of plug-ins that would equal the CS5 upgrade you would certainly pay more than $199.
    Thanks for that guidance -- I don't have, need or want the extended version, but haven't been able to navigate to a $1XX upgrade just for PS so far on adobe.com. I would make that deal in a heartbeat if I can find it. I'll go look again . . .
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    KED wrote:
    Thanks for that guidance -- I don't have, need or want the extended version, but haven't been able to navigate to a $1XX upgrade just for PS so far on adobe.com. I would make that deal in a heartbeat if I can find it. I'll go look again . . .
    • Go here: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/
    • Click on the Orange "Upgrade" button near the bottom of the page
    • In the resulting window, for Version, click on that and choose the second option (to upgrade from a previous version of Photoshop CS2, CS3 or CS4).
    • You should be shown a $199 price.
    I notice that this is a pre-order so perhaps the upgrade version is not shipping yet.

I also see that Amazon will carry the CS5 upgrade too for $199, but it won't be available there until June 30th.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    • Go here: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/
    • Click on the Orange "Upgrade" button near the bottom of the page
    • In the resulting window, for Version, click on that and choose the second option (to upgrade from a previous version of Photoshop CS2, CS3 or CS4).
    • You should be shown a $199 price.
    I notice that this is a pre-order so perhaps the upgrade version is not shipping yet.

I also see that Amazon will carry the CS5 upgrade too for $199, but it won't be available there until June 30th.
    Thanks John. Don't know why I've had such difficulty seeing this -- maybe Adobe likes it that way -- but in any case thanks for saving me the hunting around.
  • Options
    ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    I just ordered CS5 (not extended) and the price was $199. If you are a member of NAPP you can get a 15% discount online. Currently, if you call the Adobe store the discount is 20%. They told me that my copy would ship on the 30th of this month.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Got mine today. Upgraded. Seems to work. But I won't have time to use it till tomorrow :(
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    I'm downloading the trial right now :D
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2010
    Okay, so far content aware fill is a let down. And, if the HDR isn't any better than photomatrix than I don't see any reason to upgrade myself. I'll have to try that next.
  • Options
    kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    I have never used a photoshop product before (I know - gasp! eek7.gif - from all reading this), but I went ahead and ordered CS5 the extended full thing, not the upgrade. You can get the educator's discount if you are a teacher (I am) or a student, which makes it a lot more reasonable.

It was due to ship out yesterday, so I hope I get it soon. And I hope I can figure it out....

I am a Corel PSP user - just find it more user-friendly - so I hope I can do this. Cross fingers for me.

Kara
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    kds1 wrote: »
    I have never used a photoshop product before (I know - gasp! eek7.gif - from all reading this), but I went ahead and ordered CS5 the extended full thing, not the upgrade. You can get the educator's discount if you are a teacher (I am) or a student, which makes it a lot more reasonable.

It was due to ship out yesterday, so I hope I get it soon. And I hope I can figure it out....

I am a Corel PSP user - just find it more user-friendly - so I hope I can do this. Cross fingers for me.

Kara

You can do it!

The web is rife with tute's on Cs/PS, etc. Even the Adobe site has great vid tutes. Dgrin via SM has some great tutes too for those of us needing color correciton help, and other such stuff.

Once you have the interface, with the tutes, you're set!
    tom wise
  • Options
    kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    You can do it!

The web is rife with tute's on Cs/PS, etc. Even the Adobe site has great vid tutes. Dgrin via SM has some great tutes too for those of us needing color correciton help, and other such stuff.

Once you have the interface, with the tutes, you're set!

Thanks, Tom! I'm sure I'll be back to your post and clicking on links as soon as it comes in . . . . :)

Kara
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote: »
    Okay, so far content aware fill is a let down. And, if the HDR isn't any better than photomatrix than I don't see any reason to upgrade myself. I'll have to try that next.

CAF is a tricky thing. You really need to experiment with it and find the conditions when it works and when it doesn't. When it does - it's an incredible time saver. So my own approach to it is as follows: I try it first in a couple of section configurations, and if it doesn't work I default back to other tools. It only costs me a few seconds to try, and , if it works, I'm done. If not - I lost a few seconds, big deal. Besides, after you work with it for a while (I have been using it for months) you start to develop the gut feeling whether it makes sense to try it in any particular case.

The new HDR is a huge improvement over CS4 version, but initial settings might not be ideal, so you have to play around to get it to do what you want. Besides, IMNSHO (and opposite to a popular public opinion) any "automated" HDR is *not* for the dusk/dawn shots. Those are much better off with simple bracketing, real or raw based. That is, of course, unless you want the "original" halo-ridden "hdr" look. Me, being in a "natural look" camp, use it sparely, but find it invaluable when you deal with interior shots.
    In any case, the final result is a matter of personal taste. I'm only saying that there is a lot to CS5 HDR that may initially meet the eye, you simply need to know your ways around it.

HTH
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    CAF is a tricky thing. You really need to experiment with it and find the conditions when it works and when it doesn't. When it does - it's an incredible time saver. So my own approach to it is as follows: I try it first in a couple of section configurations, and if it doesn't work I default back to other tools. It only costs me a few seconds to try, and , if it works, I'm done. If not - I lost a few seconds, big deal. Besides, after you work with it for a while (I have been using it for months) you start to develop the gut feeling whether it makes sense to try it in any particular case.

The new HDR is a huge improvement over CS4 version, but initial settings might not be ideal, so you have to play around to get it to do what you want. Besides, IMNSHO (and opposite to a popular public opinion) any "automated" HDR is *not* for the dusk/dawn shots. Those are much better off with simple bracketing, real or raw based. That is, of course, unless you want the "original" halo-ridden "hdr" look. Me, being in a "natural look" camp, use it sparely, but find it invaluable when you deal with interior shots.
    In any case, the final result is a matter of personal taste. I'm only saying that there is a lot to CS5 HDR that may initially meet the eye, you simply need to know your ways around it.

HTH

Not surprised about CAF...how smart could it reasonably be? But even if it's not as slick as the demos, I can see how it could be a time saver some of the time, and that's a good thing.

Any NSHO about the noise reduction?
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    The limits of CAF don't seem much different from the limits in manual cloning. There's like a ratio of "source" to "target" in that the less source area you have proportional to your target area, the fakier and more patterny your patch looks. So far it works great when there's a lot of random surroundings to fill in from (these are the files that work great in demos), and works terrible when the surroundings are not appropriate to fill in with, like right next to a completely different looking wall.

In tight spots and other cases, brushing the healing brush in Content Aware mode seems to be more effective than doing a Content Aware delete.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010

HTH

I found that I like CS5 HDR for certain things and Photomatrix for other. For different subjects the different tools have there pros and cons.

And as for CAF, I found the balance and what it is good for. For larger things, I find manual cloning and the patch tool are better, but for quick smaller things, content aware does a great job.

I'm not going to upgrade right away, but I suspect I will once the trial runs out.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Not surprised about CAF...how smart could it reasonably be? But even if it's not as slick as the demos, I can see how it could be a time saver some of the time, and that's a good thing.

Any NSHO about the noise reduction?

NSHO re NR: yes. Much better. You have way more control over it, and I have a feeling that base algorithms were improved.

CAF: I think I have mentioned that before: one of the demo images is mine;-) mwink.gifrofl
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2010
    NSHO re NR: yes. Much better. You have way more control over it, and I have a feeling that base algorithms were improved.

Would you say it's as good as Noiseware? Better?
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Would you say it's as good as Noiseware? Better?
    Can't say, I stopped using 3d party NR sw/plugins quite some time ago.
    I don't deny its usability in the past, but lately a combination of ACR's NR plus what I typically can do in PS does not leave me longing for more.
    In my other thread (Random Musings) I mentioned I had to reprocess few images from 2006 (30D/40D). One of them was a night shot, poorly exposed and with considerable amount of noise (yeah, I know, what can I do). Well, ACR 6 + PS CS5 dealt with it rather easily.
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Still wait.....
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    $211.44 poorer now.

Lens correction, noise reduction, mini bridge, CAF.....was just irresistible.

Adobe has my number! deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2010
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    $211.44 poorer now.

Lens correction, noise reduction, mini bridge, CAF.....was just irresistible.

Adobe has my number! deal.gif

thumb.gif