Options

shooting MX 2010 style

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited January 2, 2011 in Sports
well the new season is here in the northeast. I shot my first local race last weekend and am truly amazed at the settings I was shooting at and results I was getting. after a trip west in march to attend a vintage MX event I came back with a few tips from a west coast photog who really opened my eyes about ISO. Heck I thought 200 was fine in good light. Coupled with some higher ISO's I was using apertures that I never would have even considered last year so...clarity and focus have improved, and along with the flash now being a standard weapon of choice, I'm thinking this will be a year that I'm going to give some of these riders the best memories ever.

getting roosted doesn't have to be a bad experience.... :wink

my 2010 MX thread.

comments, your shots, etc etc welcome and appreciated.

840782064_m7Pdg-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited April 21, 2010
    842146572_aaDqX-X2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2010
    843177706_tHSmP-X2-1.jpg
  • Options
    frigidlightfrigidlight Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    First shot is SWEET! How'd you light that?
  • Options
    kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010

I like the flash shots. It looks like you are shooting in the shade with a hot-shoe mounted flash at max-sync speed (ie, no FP/HSS) ? Or are you getting in close with FP/HSS?

I'd love to see a discussion of how people use flash techniques in MX... Not easy to do well. Good work!

thumb.gif
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    amadeus wrote:
    well the new season is here in the northeast. I shot my first local race last weekend and am truly amazed at the settings I was shooting at and results I was getting. after a trip west in march to attend a vintage MX event I came back with a few tips from a west coast photog who really opened my eyes about ISO. Heck I thought 200 was fine in good light. Coupled with some higher ISO's I was using apertures that I never would have even considered last year so...clarity and focus have improved, and along with the flash now being a standard weapon of choice, I'm thinking this will be a year that I'm going to give some of these riders the best memories ever.

getting roosted doesn't have to be a bad experience.... mwink.gif

my 2010 MX thread.

comments, your shots, etc etc welcome and appreciated.

ISO 200 IS fine in good light.

I don't understand why you think having such small apertures and high ISO's were an eye opener?

It's quite simple to understand. The smaller the aperture, the more depth of field you have and vice versa. The smaller the aperture, the slower the shutter speed, thus the higher ISO compensates for that with a faster "film" speed.

Smaller apertures usually offer greater focus ability and clarity. You have more room for error.

Larger apertures offer more light and slightly less clarity, depending on the quality of the lens. Some are just as good wide open as stopped down. You have less room for error as far as missing the focus point goes.

With all that said, I think these are your best shots to date. Congrats.

Flash is great to use indoors/outdoors. Def. adds some pop on outdoor shots. Use high speed synch on mine for outdoors, both on indoors.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    j-bo wrote:
    ISO 200 IS fine in good light.

I don't understand why you think having such small apertures and high ISO's were an eye opener?

good question but to me it was uncharted waters. this past weekend I was shooting apertures from 13 up to 20 and before I'd been shooting 13 and below, usually under 10. I just kind of figured sunny days = 200 and the times I did try higher ISO's the results weren't good. I'm still thinking this lens, the Nikon 18-200 isn't a good action/sports lens and going to the much higher apertures has been unbelievable as in, I knew these results were possible but just didn't know how to get them.

thanks for the input and compliment.

843149758_EPuNY-XL-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    842067938_oF7g9-XL.jpg
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    AGAIN.....Background....Background....Background:D

827883828_FSTuU-O.jpg

814251014_CnBCj-O.jpg

815934731_ZFX2a-O.jpg

815934665_25HGY-O.jpg

815934756_C8WU9-O.jpg

815934626_vxty5-O.jpg

815934712_GSzoj-O.jpg

Btw, I loved your vintage thread. As someone else stated, it was your best work yet.
  • Options
    NiepceNiepce Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Amadeus, your first shot is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G ! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    I will throw my hat in here... That first shot is really good - If there were eyes, that would be an awesome shot. BUT.. I love the flash work! I have yet to have a chance to play with flash this year and didnt use it at all last year.

Someone asked already, but i didnt see an answer. Thats not HSS flash right? Were you shooing in manual? As for the lens - save the pennies, get a 70-200 2.8 VR or a 80-200 2.8 (used) and you will be even happier with your results!
    ...more to come!
  • Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    I just want to say great photos guys! thumb.gif I plan on shooting more MX this year as I didn't go to a single race last year. By this weekend I will have missed 2 races already due to those stupid things called college, finals, and interviewing for my first professional job (accountant).rolleyes1.gif

I plan on going to a race on May 15th. I am going to try out the flash technique that amadeus posted above. I've tried it a little before and had good results but nothing half as good as the first photo posted.bowdown.gif
  • Options
    jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    I am going to shoot the AMA Hangtown Classic next Saturday. This will be my second attempt, are you using an on camera flash or something else? Also is 300mm to long? Thanks for the insight. Anything else you would like to share will be helpful. You have some great shots.
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    300 too long? Heck no. I'd probably use the 300 for most of the day. But bring a 70-200 with you too, obviously.

On camera flash for fill is fine.

Bring a small folding step stool to get over peoples heads in certain spots and to get over the trackside banners if you plan on getting close to the fence/action, etc.
  • Options
    brown243brown243 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 30, 2010
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2010
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2010
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2010
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2010
    First, A story from this race....

I haven't raced MX in over 6 years. My dad used to race MX with me and now he does occasional harescrambles. He asked me if I wanted to tag along and race a harescramble with him since he was riding a friends electric start KLX 450 instead of our shared KX250F. I end up saying yes I'll go racing. Boy, was I in for a treat.

It turns out it's been raining on and off for three days and rained the morning of the race too. This particular hare scramble is through coulees that are filled with trees (thank god for the bark busters!). The track is pure mud and I get about 1/4 way through my first lap of slipping and sliding (and crashing) before I start thinking this is really gonna suck! I continue to lay the bike over from not having any traction on the greasy trail. Oh did I mention my bike has decided whenever I slow down and pull the clutch in, it dies? I suppose I should mention that.

So after crashing multiple times (looking like a goon at the same time!) and having to kick start my bike multiple times, I am about dead and cannot think straight. I have finally made it about halfway around this 9 mile course when I approach a very muddy hill with a washout halfway up. I put it in second and gas it and I get to the wash out and I feel the back end start sliding over to the wash out and just think to myself "this isn't gonna be good". The bike loops out and I roll down the hill about ten feet.

My KXF finally decides it's had enough and doesn't want to start. After sitting at the bottom of the hill for about fifteen minutes and watching multiple people do the same thing I did, my dad comes around on his second lap. We try diagnose whats going on with the bike and after about fifteen more minutes we find out that the hot start lever is hitting the killswitch screw and isn't opening all the way. Once we figure that out we get the bike started and get up the hill. We both decided that we would just take our DNFs and ride back to the pits because it was well past the hour mark (we were both racing the 1-hour enduro) and we were both too tired to ride another 4.5 miles of trees and mud.

One of the sweepers (the guys who help guys like me!) tells my dad and I to follow the guy on the KTM and he'll bring us back to the pits. Well this guy on the KTM has one hell of an Australian accent and is none other than Shane Watts! After riding about 3-4 miles with him (which was very very cool!) we finally get back to the pits and scorers table and take our DNFs. And then we hung out and watched our friends get ready for their two hour harescrambles and I took the photos below (this explains why they are boring haha). Talk about an experience I'll never forget.

Family Friend

915704100_6PiFV-XL-1.jpg

Just a shot of the entrance/exit gate for the scoring table.

915703411_38g5e-XL-1.jpg

Shane Watts

919453910_399Tv-XL-1.jpg

Nothing too fancy as you can see.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 1, 2010
    Great day riding in the woods. And meeting a legend? Pretty good day I'd say!

Nice pix too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    jimqjr wrote: »
    I am going to shoot the AMA Hangtown Classic next Saturday. This will be my second attempt, are you using an on camera flash or something else? Also is 300mm to long? Thanks for the insight. Anything else you would like to share will be helpful. You have some great shots.
    876993708_MkhNt-X2.jpg

And the Winner is
    876418488_tJMfL-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010

I've been remiss in posting here, sorry about that.

How did I light it? Pure luck! :D

I saw they were nailing this corner pretty good and had the flash with me and even though the corner was well shaded, I caught it just right. I knew I had to use the flash, but had been most of the day anyway. I really am tickled with the shot. Bad news, the rider holds a pro license and rides some of the east coast nationals, or would have, assuming he made the mains, which he is capable of.

he was running sprints a week ago and tore a ligament in the knee. out for 8 months.

and he did it training!eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    kurtw wrote: »
    I like the flash shots. It looks like you are shooting in the shade with a hot-shoe mounted flash at max-sync speed (ie, no FP/HSS) ?

I'd love to see a discussion of how people use flash techniques in MX... Not easy to do well. Good work!

thumb.gif

were you watching me???mwink.gif

and thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    nipprdog wrote: »
    AGAIN.....Background....Background....Background:D

Btw, I loved your vintage thread. As someone else stated, it was your best work yet.

I know, I really do try, and still too often don't follow through.

And thanks. the vintage event in Norcal was a real hoot with Lackey hosting it.

Sadly Maggoo was there and a few weeks later he passed. :cry
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    so I haven't shot MX in a month. very wierd. a few diversions, and a month goes by.

So..my D300 will be replaced by a D700 very soon, its only money and Best Buy seems to be ready to replace rather then repair so who am I to argue?mwink.gif
  • Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Some shots so far this year!
    Here are some I took.
    837193074_EMss3-L.jpg

837193204_t4P5g-L.jpg

837193365_AnMoB-L.jpg

887193669_G9cPk-L.jpg

887194161_zi386-L.jpg

870996058_zRWLW-L-1.jpg

870996473_xdK4D-L-1.jpg
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2010
    well I am now an ex D300 owner and a new D700 owner. no mx yet, but a few taken with the D700 and the nikon 50mm F1.8 lens which set me back an additional $139 and makes my nikon 18-200 lens highly expendable at this point. I never liked that lens...

930132870_psrLu-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2010
    930110590_rCWGf-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2010
    924347033_HE42g-X2.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 10, 2010
    Smaller images would make 'em easier to look at lol3.gif

Congrats on the new camera. Looking forward to some new MX shots!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2010
    I reserved my hotel room for the MX of Nations in Lakewood in September. Anyone else going? Thinking about renting a 300/2.8 for the races.