Options

new canon 5d

Comments

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    but 12mp is getting really big for weddings.
    12mp won't be anything when the traditional wedding photogs are back using medium format - digital medium format - I think it's merely a matter of time. . . IMHO

Yes I know that a correctly exposed image from a 20D can be enlarged to big prints. And with interpolation programs like Genuine Fractals, those prints can be huge. And with affordable full-frame sensor bodies on the horizon like the 5D . . .

I've read a few articles in the rags that still point to the "bigger is better" advantage. I think the pros who have the deeper pockets and the clients to support them will go for the bigger format when all is said and done.

With Pentax, Mamiya, and Hasselblad releasing new models, I think we are just beginning to see real, usable MF choices - that aren't tethered and other cumbersome challenges. I think the MF digital world is where DSLR's were about 6-7 years ago -
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    $3500 is a lot better then $4800 or whatever a direct conversion would be. clap.gifthumb.gif

I'll wait two weeks after andy gets his and wants to sell it. blbl.gif

lol3.gif i will probably give this camera tryout - what'll kill it for me though is battery performance, hopefully it's as good as the 20d...
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited August 11, 2005
    12mp won't be anything when the traditional wedding photogs are back using medium format - digital medium format - I think it's merely a matter of time. . . IMHO

... I think the MF digital world is where DSLR's were about 6-7 years ago -
    I guess I'd better hold on to my 4x5 view camera then. Imagine when we get full-frame 4x5 digital:

Virtually no noise: ISO 12800?
    Pixel density and count out the yinyang? 120MP?
    Really big lenses would have no Depth of Field wide open?
    Impress the ladies with, "yeah, mine's bigger'n anybody's" (and I have the truss to prove it.)
    Impress your banker too, with a mortgage on your camera the same amount as your house.

Ah..., to dream!!

(BTW wholenewlight, I think you are right and I am holding onto my Hassy for that reason. I doubt that large format makes a comeback however.)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    lol3.gif i will probably give this camera tryout
    Good - the rest of us will be scrambling to checkout the Buy/Sale Forum daily waiting for the "Hand-Me-Down"

Also heard/read rumors of a 200mm f/1.8 IS and a 300mm f/2 IS. Maybe Andy could ask Jim if he is working on pdf 's?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I guess I'd better hold on to my 4x5 view camera then.
    Zig, do you really still have a 4x5? I just got rid of mine a few months ago to a photo student who gave me pretty good $$ for a well used zone VI model.

Oh oh, I think I'm being a thread hijacking violator. Apologies in advance:uhoh .
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    12mp is nice, but I need the speed and I need the zoom for filming sports. I will wait for the 1dMk3 or see about a 1dMk2 when the glut is forced to drop in price.
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    5D is unveiled -
    $3495.00

http://news.techwhack.com/1878/canon-5d-is-finally-unveiled/

patch29 wrote:
    $3500 is a lot better then $4800 or whatever a direct conversion would be. clap.gifthumb.gif

I'll wait two weeks after andy gets his and wants to sell it. blbl.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    $3495.00

hmmm sid, where have we heard that before headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    lol3.gif i will probably give this camera tryout - what'll kill it for me though is battery performance, hopefully it's as good as the 20d...
    Actually Andy, battery performance HAS been considerably improved! When you hold the battery within a mere 8 inches of the camera, it locks up for 48 hours. Don't know how they do it...

yelrotflmao.gif
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    hmmm sid, where have we heard that before headscratch.gif
    lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2005
    I have to give Canon credit. They are masters of the "accidental" leak. naughty.gif

They know how manipulate folks like us, get us all atwitter, thinking we're peeking behind the curtain. Silly us. Clever them.

Good fun, though.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005

I think the MF digital world is where DSLR's were about 6-7 years ago -
    A long matter of time. You said it yourself, 6 to 7 years ago. A 22 MP digital back for MF at $22,000? Ow.
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2005
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2005
    Sid.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    It and a lot of other items are real, dpreview has the details, off to catch up on my reading.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    Imagine if they updated lenses as often as bodies...we'd all be robbing banks.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    Anyone know the shutter life of the 5D? I cannot find it anywhere at the moment.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2005
    They say its the same as a piecost
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    Canon refreshes camera, printer lineup
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5841378.html

I didn't find the release on Canon's website yet...
    Chris
  • Options
    PlasmodiumPlasmodium Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    When are we going to see a high dynamic range camera on the market? As an enthusiast (i.e. without specific need for fast fps or 16 megapixel resolution) I feel like being able to capture 8 or 10 stops of exposure rather than 5 or 6 would be a tremendous advance, far more so than whatever differences exist between any of the cameras on the market today.
    Paul

My Gallery

"Hammer my bones in the anvil of daylight..." -Beck
  • Options
    Ruud G.Ruud G. Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5841378.html

I didn't find the release on Canon's website yet...
    Try this one

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/index.html

thumb.gif

Ruud
    http://www.afrikafotosafari.nl

Canon D60/20D, 17-35,75-300IS USM, 100-400MM Kenko x2 convertor. Manfrotto tripods/monopods
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    Plasmodium wrote:
    I feel like being able to capture 8 or 10 stops of exposure .
    What would make this different to using RAW & setting it yourself at home on the computer ?.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Plasmodium wrote:
    When are we going to see a high dynamic range camera on the market? As an enthusiast (i.e. without specific need for fast fps or 16 megapixel resolution) I feel like being able to capture 8 or 10 stops of exposure rather than 5 or 6 would be a tremendous advance, far more so than whatever differences exist between any of the cameras on the market today.

Fuji S3-Pro.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    What would make this different to using RAW & setting it yourself at home on the computer ?.

The RAW file is still inhibited by the chip's inability to capture a wider dynamic range without blowing out highlights or making shadows black.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Because (as has been said) a RAW image captures only abut 5 stops of light. You can adjust the tone of a RAW image with far greater flexibility than with an 8-bit jpeg, but that doesn't alter the actual contents of the image. There is only one way to expand the exposure information contained in one RAW image, and that is to use more than one RAW image, captured using different camera settings. Hence we layer shots together or use HDR features. A RAW image (many would argue) still has a lower dynamic range, especially in the highlights and shadows, than 35mm film and particularly black and white film.

If you do a net search you'll find some info about high dynamic range image sensors, but it seems to still be in the setting of journal articles (and I'm sure in the covert alcoves of the Canon corporation, etc). They are experimenting with things like having two separate sensors per pixel, one of which is a smaller sensor that has an ND filter over it -- thus you are able to capture more highlight detail at any given pixel. Just imagine, though, how different it would be to shoot inside a cathedral or to shoot a sunset (with a single exposure) if you had 8 or 10 stops of leeway with a digital sensor.
    Paul

My Gallery

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Raw is just a container, like a gallon bucket. What we're saying is that today's cameras are like pouring a quart of water in that gallon bucket, because that's all today's sensors can collect. We want a whole gallon!

Side note: It's generally known that digital cameras respond more like slide film than negative film. You have to nail the exposure or it looks like c***. Raw helps a lot, but if the sensors had more latitude like negative film, we'd have even more leeway in Raw. The great hope of some of us is that someday, digital might give us more latitude than even negative film did. That would be the holy grail. Megapixels and very wide exposure latitude. Then you could really take advantage of Raw.

By the way, I don't remember where I read this but there was a poll taken of professional photographers asking what features they wanted. Many of them said they had the megapixels they needed, and that better dynamic range was now a bigger need. So we're not alone.

I'm hoping for more cameras like the Fuji mentioned above. I think it has two sets of sensors for highlights and shadows.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    Raw is just a container, like a gallon bucket. What we're saying is that today's cameras are like pouring a quart of water in that gallon bucket, because that's all today's sensors can collect. We want a whole gallon!
    Or, perhaps, taking a picture of the real world with today's cameras is like pouring a gallon into an 8 ounce bucket. Using RAW just keeps it from spilling as you slosh it around. headscratch.gif
    Paul

My Gallery

• Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    Plasmodium wrote:
    Because (as has been said) a RAW image captures only abut 5 stops of light.

It's not the Raw image that's the limitation, is it? Isn't it today's sensors that only capture 5 stops? I think that's what you meant, but I want to make sure. Because it is too common to confuse bit depth with dynamic range when discussing this technology, I feel it's important to be careful with the terms. While I'm not a mathematician, I am under the impression that today's 16-bit Raw files can store many more stops of dynamic range, if only the sensors were capable of collecting it.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    Plasmodium wrote:
    Or, perhaps, taking a picture of the real world with todays cameras is like pouring a gallon into an 8 ounce bucket. Using RAW just keeps it from spilling as you slosh it around. headscratch.gif

Yes, I think that's a useful extension of the idea. You sample the real world with today's 8-ounce sensor, and pour that into the gallon bucket of a Raw file that is then not near full. If we had sensors that could hold 16 ounces or more of be... uh, dynamic range, then we would make much better use of our gallon Raw bucket.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    Tks guys...i guess that answers that.