Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited September 29, 2010
    David_S85 wrote: »
    2. Wireless connection for the Mac Pro. They can put something in it at Apple (not in their configurator, though). Should I just let them do that, or get a wireless something or else at Amazon, etc.? Really clueless on this one, since we've connected, um, somehow else lately, or by stealing waves from neighbors on our lappy's, which I will not admit to unless I'm tortured. (will be ordering up a real broadband service too, since we've got enough use for it now).

Thanks!

If you want the Apple one, it has to be installed at purchase (at least by Apple). They won't sell it to you later so that you can install it. This is important if you're thinking about stuff like a wireless keyboard of their new touchpad.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited September 30, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    If you want the Apple one, it has to be installed at purchase (at least by Apple). They won't sell it to you later so that you can install it. This is important if you're thinking about stuff like a wireless keyboard of their new touchpad.

Thanks, Ian. Wireless keyboards and small peripherals don't much interest me. I just need to connect to the router wirelessly.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Thanks, Ian. Wireless keyboards and small peripherals don't much interest me. I just need to connect to the router wirelessly.

The BT module is part of the wireless card.
  • Options
    BTW, if you bought any of a number of machines with an Nvida GPUs in them, including 15 and 17 inch MBP's, you may receive a notice of proposed settlement. If you're not sure, hit the settlement site for more info.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    Thanks Ian. Mine might be effected.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited October 2, 2010
    I'm surprised that Lenovo is not included, but maybe they have a separate suit going. I'm pretty sure that the failure I had on my ThinkPad was due to the NVIDIA GPU. Lenovo replaced the motherboard for free, no questions asked, but like the other manufacturers, they have been rather quiet about the whole issue.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    Or maybe IBM/Lenovo reached some kind of arrangement before the trial started?
    Richard wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Lenovo is not included, but maybe they have a separate suit going. I'm pretty sure that the failure I had on my ThinkPad was due to the NVIDIA GPU. Lenovo replaced the motherboard for free, no questions asked, but like the other manufacturers, they have been rather quiet about the whole issue.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    I've noticed on a few Mac forums that MBP's from a year or so ago have had unusual failures with non-Apple bigger displays like the Dell U2711's. Connected?
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    I've noticed on a few Mac forums that MBP's from a year or so ago have had unusual failures with non-Apple bigger displays like the Dell U2711's. Connected?

Don't know. In my case, it's not related at all.
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2010
    Mac Pro ordered just now. I secured a steal of a 1 month-old (or less) refurbished unit from the online Apple store. Basic unit - 4-core, 2.8GhZ, 3GB RAM, 1TB drive for $380 below normal price w/ free shipping. I will add a second 2GB drive myself and boost up the RAM later. For now, Apple sells extra RAM below what Crucial sells it for, which shocked me, so I held off until prices settle down more.

Off to Amazon next for a DVI-I to mini DVI connector for my Viewsonic monitor to Mac.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Mac Pro ordered just now. I secured a steal of a 1 month-old (or less) refurbished unit from the online Apple store. Basic unit - 4-core, 2.8GhZ, 3GB RAM, 1TB drive for $380 below normal price w/ free shipping. I will add a second 2GB drive myself and boost up the RAM later. For now, Apple sells extra RAM below what Crucial sells it for, which shocked me, so I held off until prices settle down more.

Off to Amazon next for a DVI-I to mini DVI connector for my Viewsonic monitor to Mac.
    Nnice. Love my Mac Pro, 4+ years now, never a problem. I've upgraded disk & ram and vid cards (I have 2x30s now) all myself, sooooper easy.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Mac Pro ordered just now.

Nice!!! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    Apple isn't starting off on a good footing with me. After ordering and paying for the thing a week ago, and Apple promissing 3-5 days shipping, I find out tonight that it never left their warehouse until this morning.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    That's OK David. I ordered an AppleTV box a month ago (knowing it would take a while to get). They sent a notice saying it would arrive on Oct 18th. On the 8th, I got the shipping notice and on the 11th, I had it in hand.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 14, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    That's OK David. I ordered an AppleTV box a month ago (knowing it would take a while to get). They sent a notice saying it would arrive on Oct 18th. On the 8th, I got the shipping notice and on the 11th, I had it in hand.
    You'll have to report back on that. The tv box, not the shipping.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    DoctorIt wrote: »
    You'll have to report back on that. The tv box, not the shipping.
    I ordered one, and cancelled the order. You can only stream content you've rented. Anything else you have to download and then stream from your computer. Too much hassle. Amazon VOD on the Roku lets me stream anything, rented or purchased. I don't have cable or satellite, so the few shows I want to keep up with I do through Amazon VOD. Any improvement in interface the Apple TV has is completely overrun by this PITA.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    Apple isn't starting off on a good footing with me. After ordering and paying for the thing a week ago, and Apple promissing 3-5 days shipping, I find out tonight that it never left their warehouse until this morning.
    3-5 business days is what they'd tell you. And with a weekend in there, sounds like they met their commitment.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    DavidTO wrote: »
    I ordered one, and cancelled the order. You can only stream content you've rented. Anything else you have to download and then stream from your computer. Too much hassle. Amazon VOD on the Roku lets me stream anything, rented or purchased. I don't have cable or satellite, so the few shows I want to keep up with I do through Amazon VOD. Any improvement in interface the Apple TV has is completely overrun by this PITA.

I had a Roku; it bit the dust and to be honest, their product support was crappy (and they're in Saratoga--about 20 minutes away). I used it mostly for Netflix. The Roku's picture quality wasn't as good as the AppleTV's seems to be either.

I was disappointed with the ATV setup. I would have figured Apple would have a small utility (like Airport does) to get it going. If you use strong passwords, setup is a FPITA because you have to scroll with the remote. I mean it's OK to use the box/remote to setup if you're a Windows user as you're already used to that lol3.gif

I tried the YouTube stuff as well. It's OK but not really something I'll use. Same with the Flikr stuff.

It's a shame you can't use your ATV in the same way you could the Roku. Seems easy enough to enable. I've also asked for the ability to stream stuff not on the list--like SmugMug--you can do Flikr but not SmugMug.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    < rant >
    The home media center has me banging my head against the desk on many occasions. I have a PS3, a Wii, a Tivo, a Mac, an iPad, an iPod, a Windows machine, and a Linux box. You would think that with all this stuff and what I do for a living I would be able to figure out how to use the same media on all the machines. Every machine wants things just a little different. I could cobble something together each time I wanted to watch something but it is a pain to do that, I just want it to work. And ATV doesn't seem to improve it at all.
    < /rant >
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    The Pro arrived this afternoon in a big white box the size of a small motorcycle. So 8 days, but yeah, I have it now. I didn't need the conversion cable - the old DVI-I fit right in to the back of the card's big DVI connector, but upon first start up, the monitor wasn't recognised. After a second restart, it found the ViewSonic somehow. Following the registration screen, I reset it to full res. The Airport Extreme can't find any of the dozen or so wireless networks that both our laptops grab easily, so I have to figure that out.

Until I can connect, I'm just poking around and testing things.

So here's my first real question: Any way to silence system sounds, or isolate them from, say, the volume up and down keyboard keys? In ITunes, I could always adjust volume with the slider control right on the app, but the keyboard buttons or other system volume controls makes that loud "paddle" sound which is horrible. I would prefer those buttons for expediency.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2010
    20101015-da1f1w92fkpp5d27a877seipcb.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2010
    Thanks, Dave! I'll try that tomorrow.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Apple just announced OS X Lion. Do you think it will be worth an upgrade to it?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    nothing is known, really, and it will not be available till next summer. How can that questions be answered?
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    In preparation for the summer question? rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2010
    Yes. I always find Apple's upgrades worth it. I'll go out on a limb and say this will be no exception. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Yes. I always find Apple's upgrades worth it. I'll go out on a limb and say this will be no exception. :D

I'll say that the new iMovie looks good. The presentation of that was great.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Ordered myself the 11" Macbook Air. I think the processor is underpowered, and I am disappointed in the 5 hour battery life claim (I was hoping it was going to be 10). Still, I've been looking for small and light, and I think the SSD speed may make up for the processor. We'll see.

If I keep it, it means the wife gets my iPad. That'll be hard to part with.

So my question is this - what's the best way to run Office (Windows version) on a Mac? Since this only has a 64GB SSD I'm probably not going to do Boot Camp. Parallels? Fusion? Some other option? I far prefer the Windows versions of MS Office to the Mac versions (no surprise since I prefer Windows to OSX) and I'd like to find some way to make that work, since I spend a large part of my day using Word and Outlook.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2010
    Me --> MacPro (2008) running OSX 10.6.4 with Fusion. WinXP installed there. I have both Office for Mac (came with the wife's computer) and Office for WinXP (I had this for years).

Wife --> MacBook Pro (2010) running OSX 10.6.4 with Bootcamp. WinXP installed there. She, too, has both Office for Mac and Office for WinXP.

Outside the fact that I can run both simultaneously there really is not much different.

Fusion or Parallels? For most users it really does not matter from what I have heard. I have read the Parallels is better for those that do gaming under the windows environment, but that was a few years ago. Not sure if Fusion has gotten better in the later releases (which I don't have) in the graphics area to better support gaming.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    Pupator wrote: »
    I'm probably not going to do Boot Camp. Parallels? Fusion? Some other option?

Start with VirtualBox because it's free and pretty capable. I use Parallels on my Mac Pro and it's great, but I found that VirtualBox was more than good enough for the Windows apps I wanted to run on my other Mac, instead of paying for a second Parallels license.
    Pupator wrote: »
    I far prefer the Windows versions of MS Office to the Mac versions

Are you aware that the new Mac Office 2011 is much closer to the Windows version and now includes a Mac version of Outlook instead of the old Entourage? You might want to check it out. If it worked out, you'd save the considerable loss of RAM, disk space, and CPU that goes with running Windows in virtualization. It is being released this month.