Options

... switching yet again

2»

Comments

• Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    Is it for any Canon...I have an A75 somewhere and have been thinking of something higher resolution for studio work than the D700.

D3x? Of course, you'll need to go ahead and get a BMW to haul it around.mwink.gif 650A here.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2010
    well it looks like I'll have an extra $400 for lenses if I get one through the CL Program. bringing my budget to $1550. Yay! Mmm now I want to throw my gear on ebay to get rid of it faster.
    Jer
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    D3x? Of course, you'll need to go ahead and get a BMW to haul it around.mwink.gif 650A here.

lol3.gif I have been looking at that new F"650"GS....the D3x and 2 lenses would be about the same price :cry

Let's just say I am looking for the KLR way to get high resolution in the studio.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    I have sold both lenses and the auction for my D700 ends tonight. I got the Canon 135L from someone on Fred Miranda and I bought a broken Canon P&S on Ebay for $12. So I will have my 5DMKII sometime this week if all works out with the auction and the Canon Loyalty Program.

My next question to you guys is if you were to choose between the Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM and the 85mm f/1.8 USM. Which would you prioritize getting?
    Jer
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    My next question to you guys is if you were to choose between the Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM and the 85mm f/1.8 USM. Which would you prioritize getting?
    50 1.4

I have both, the 85 just doesn't seem to get any use.
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    50 1.4 is my preference.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    50 1.4

I have both, the 85 just doesn't seem to get any use.

Would you say getting like a Sigma 105 Macro would be more beneficial over the 85? There are often times that I wish I had one for detail shots at weddings and during portrait sessions.

(you may be wondering why I would want detail shots during a portrait session? Coffee Table Books and Albums are becoming a popular add-on)
    Jer
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    24-105 does enough macro for me at weddings, especially on a 7d. YMMV, but given I already needed the lens it meant no macros need for me. If its on your list of lenses then you may not want \ need a true macro.

the 24-105 is not on my list. I only want 2.8 or faster lenses.. I do too much low light work to spend $800+ on an f/4L
    Jer
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    Would you say getting like a Sigma 105 Macro would be more beneficial over the 85? There are often times that I wish I had one for detail shots at weddings and during portrait sessions.

(you may be wondering why I would want detail shots during a portrait session? Coffee Table Books and Albums are becoming a popular add-on)
    depends on what you need? I do detail shots as well, not sure how close you want to get. I use the 50 and the 24-105 for them, mainly.

If you are asking 50&105 OR 50&85, I'd go for the 50 & 105.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    depends on what you need? I do detail shots as well, not sure how close you want to get. I use the 50 and the 24-105 for them, mainly.

If you are asking 50&105 OR 50&85, I'd go for the 50 & 105.
    This close. Took these with a friends Sigma 55mm macro on my D700 at a wedding earlier this year.
    909722400_gqKiQ-XL.jpg
    909723537_hVpiT-XL.jpg
    909722589_QXVqv-XL.jpg
    Well, I did get the 135L. you think that would work well enough as a fake macro? Probably not considering how close I like my macros to be.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2010
    This close. Took these with a friends Sigma 55mm macro on my D700 at a wedding earlier this year.

Well, I did get the 135L. you think that would work well enough as a fake macro? Probably not considering how close I like my macros to be.
    If you are planning on shooting that close a lot, I think it would be worth getting the 105 instead of the 85 thumb.gif
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2010
    Extension tubes?
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    I have decided to skip on getting the 85 or 100 macro and am going to get a 580EXII. I realized having a small flash comes in handy when doing on location shoots by myself. And I will need one if I ever get booked to shoot another wedding... hopefully I will.

I tried using one of my AB800's with my vegabond on my last senior session.. didn't go so well. So I ditched it in my SUV and had her boyfriend hold a reflector. Now, if I had an assistant - they're gonna carry the big damn light to make nice pictures! :whip
    Jer
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    So what did you end up picking up?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    So what did you end up picking up?

So far I've purchased:
    • 135 f/2L
    • 50 f/1.4
    • 580EXII
    • 77mm Expodisc (got a good deal on a used one)
    Waiting for the Refurbished 5DMKII's to be in stock over at Canon so I can purchase it in time to shoot a party next weekend rolleyes1.gif Once I get that I'll be happy for a while.
    Jer
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010
    Does the Canon Loyalty program apply ONLY to refurb gear? I use Nikon, but my sister has a Canon, and I just happen to have a couple of old Canon P&S's in the basement. Just curious if it works on new gear as well?
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    Does the Canon Loyalty program apply ONLY to refurb gear? I use Nikon, but my sister has a Canon, and I just happen to have a couple of old Canon P&S's in the basement. Just curious if it works on new gear as well?

Only refurbished.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    So far I've purchased:
    • 135 f/2L
    • 50 f/1.4
    • 580EXII
    • 77mm Expodisc (got a good deal on a used one)
    Waiting for the Refurbished 5DMKII's to be in stock over at Canon so I can purchase it in time to shoot a party next weekend rolleyes1.gif Once I get that I'll be happy for a while.

ANOTHER 135L FANATIC!!! [or at least in your case, soon to be...]
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    ANOTHER 135L FANATIC!!! [or at least in your case, soon to be...]

I take it you have one too? I've been drooling about getting one for over a year now. Even when I was shooting nikon I wanted it.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    Mmmm I'm happy :) the 135L and 50 1.4 came just now :D Too bad I still dont have a camera to use them with :cry
    Jer
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    Mmmm I'm happy :) the 135L and 50 1.4 came just now :D Too bad I still dont have a camera to use them with :cry

rolleyes1.gifrofl

(been a 135L user since 2008)

I hope you have real fast CF cards if you want to do video.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    rolleyes1.gifrofl

(been a 135L user since 2008)

I hope you have real fast CF cards if you want to do video.

One of them is an 8GB x600 CF Card.. I think that'll work just fine.
    Jer
  • Options
    billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2010

Are they out of stock, now? Bummer. I guess the buzz on these forums got too many people jumping on the deal. Hope you get one soon!
    - Bill
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2010
    billythek wrote: »
    Are they out of stock, now? Bummer. I guess the buzz on these forums got too many people jumping on the deal. Hope you get one soon!

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_214217_-1 In stock. I placed my order earlier today. I will have it on Wednesday!
    Jer
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2010
    One of them is an 8GB x600 CF Card.. I think that'll work just fine.
    The last time I bumped into a team of videographers at a wedding, they were using 7D's and they said between just two cameras they go through about 120+ GB of CF at a wedding. Good luck with that! :-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2010
    The last time I bumped into a team of videographers at a wedding, they were using 7D's and they said between just two cameras they go through about 120+ GB of CF at a wedding. Good luck with that! :-P

=Matt=

Lol, well.. I wont be doing THAT much video work right now. I'm talking like.. a few 2 minute clips here and there.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2010

=Matt=

Ouch! 120+ gb?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com