Options

These people are stealing EVERYONES photos from dgrin!!!

racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
edited August 31, 2011 in Dgrin Forum Support
This forum has THOUSANDS of our photos, from random dgrin members and smugmug, saved right from this site.
http://en.jo1jo.com/vb/index.php

I found this site by googling my smugmug site, and this place came up high in the results.

I know dgrin probably cant be stop these place, but it will make me think twice before I ever post another photo on dgrin ever again, since I can be guaranteed my photos will be stolen for whatever purpose.

I really hope that this cant happen with everyone's smugmug sites. I would feel like such a fool if smugmug had similar issues.

I haven't posted that many photos here, but there are many people who have been posting for years. Even if we post small watermarked images, having every dgrin image copied, I think that is unacceptable, and not fair to the members

Edit - inorder to find all the images and posts, you need to search that forum for "dgrin" or "smugmug"
Todd - My Photos

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited February 23, 2011
    Yeah, I noticed some referrals from that site in my SM stats. What I just noticed is that they are not only grabbing images, they are grabbing whole posts from Dgrin. Here's one that was in our Street forum recently: http://en.jo1jo.com/vb/showthread.php?t=337130 I don't much understand what their game is, though, as there does not seem to be any advertising on the site. Very strange.
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I don't much understand what their game is, though, as there does not seem to be any advertising on the site.

When I went to the link the OP provided, I saw a couple of Google ads. Can anyone tell where (geographically) they are hosted? I have been getting hits from random places-places that normally don't hit my entirely password-protected and hidden site-on the days that I've posted images as external SmugMug links to Dgrin.

Figuring out their geographic location is beyond my Internet abilities, so if anyone could provide info, that would be great.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    Okay, I must be living in a cave, since it is common practice for other sites to save entire forums and everyone's images any place they want.
    So I have been living with blinders on all these years thinking that the only issue was people right clicking to save a image for themself.

It seems like around every corner, the internet is waiting to slap you in the face
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    Yeah, I noticed some referrals from that site in my SM stats. What I just noticed is that they are not only grabbing images, they are grabbing whole posts from Dgrin. Here's one that was in our Street forum recently: http://en.jo1jo.com/vb/showthread.php?t=337130 I don't much understand what their game is, though, as there does not seem to be any advertising on the site. Very strange.

There is google advertising (go figure), but your browser might not be displaying it. There seems to be multiple google ads in each thread
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    There is google advertising (go figure), but your browser might not be displaying it. There seems to be multiple google ads in each thread
    Yeah, thank Vishnu for AdBlock on Firefox. I sometimes forget I am using it.

The domain is registered to somebody who claims to be in Jordan, though I wouldn't expect that phone number to work lol3.gif.

REGISTRANT CONTACT INFO
    mohammad jordan
    jordan jordan
    jordan / amman
    jarash 26111 POBox 81
    amman
    amman
    JO
    Phone: +962.00962785401418
    Email Address: jo1jo.com@gmail.com

The site is hosted by Singlehop, a Chicago ISP
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    In case people are interested, you can find Google's policies on using their services for content scraped from other sites here:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66361
    http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66359

You might be interested to look at the last paragraph of the first link and the last bullet of the second link.

Also, if you feel that the use of AdSense on that site might not be legit, you can take a look here:

http://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=16763

And finally...Here is the DMCA compliance/complaint info for SingleHop (the ISP of the site that Richard identified in his post above):

http://www.singlehop.com/legal/legal-complete.php#dmca

(Also look under "Acceptable Use", 8th bullet.)
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    I just looked, entering my smugmug site into google image search, the first 7 images that show up are from that site. While many have a hard time making money off there images, these poeple are most likely making money off our images by directing people to there site with our images.
    I dont even post many photos, so I could only image what is happening to the people who post a lot. Not only are they missing potential sales, but the other site is making money from the google ads that are with there photos
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    The site is stealing whole posts from other message boards, too. I saw some posts from the DIS Boards, and from DVDTalk.com.

It looks like the whole board is nothing but stolen posts from other boards, set up to draw in traffic for web advertising. Probably some sort of spider-like crawler that searches sites that use vBulletin software all over the web and randomly steals their posts to simulate lots of traffic on their own. Clever, if despicable.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    but it will make me think twice before I ever post another photo on dgrin ever again, since I can be guaranteed my photos will be stolen for whatever purpose.

The ugly truth is ....if you can view it on a computer screen it can be stolen.....that is why all my pix a nice big beautiful watermark across it..............and that watermark is my web addy.......that way NO DOUBT who it belongs to........ and it will take hours and hours to get it removed with PS or any other image editor, also never link to or allow original sized images....I restrict mine to xl as the largest.........you can't stop the stealing but atleast you can get some free advertising from it if the pix are watermarked with YOUR web address.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    They even posted this thread about them stealing threads.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    Bots don't read very well. rolleyes1.gif

Did you notice that the so-called poster, divid, joined in November, 2010 and has 60,000 posts? What dedication!
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    Bots don't read very well. rolleyes1.gif

Did you notice that the so-called poster, divid, joined in November, 2010 and has 60,000 posts? What dedication!

But alas, looks like virtually all of his posts are without reply. I wonder if he feels lonely?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    The ugly truth is ....if you can view it on a computer screen it can be stolen.....that is why all my pix a nice big beautiful watermark across it..............and that watermark is my web addy.......that way NO DOUBT who it belongs to........ and it will take hours and hours to get it removed with PS or any other image editor, also never link to or allow original sized images....I restrict mine to xl as the largest.........you can't stop the stealing but atleast you can get some free advertising from it if the pix are watermarked with YOUR web address.............

Regardless, that's not what is happening. Your watermark means very little to them. What they are doing, is stealing your whole post, photos included, and posting them as there own, so the google results sends traffic to there site. Watermarked or not, every time someone clicks on a photo that they have stolen, they are making money from your image. If this is allowed to continue, this means less traffic goes to your website, and they make more money off of you.

They are even making money off your highly watermarked photos in a post you made about watermarks!
    http://en.jo1jo.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58691&highlight=artscottfotografie

Not only that, but they are pretending to be the author of that post, and pretending to own those photos. They are directing people away from your site, with your own images
    Since jo1jo.com is getting more hits total then your site, I imagine that if this continues, it wont take to long for there copies of your images to rank higher then your copies on your site. I imagine over time all there copies will rank higher then any of your photos, pushing your images to the back of google
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    Since this site is getting more hits then your site, I imagine that if this continues, it wont take to long for there copies of your images to rank higher then your copies on your site.

What makes you think this site gets any traffic at all? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    What makes you think this site gets any traffic at all? headscratch.gif

OOPS, worded that wrong, I meant the "jo1jo.com"

Although I dont really know much about this all or how this all works. It would be nice if someone in charge here would look into this. It seems only a few of us are taking this serious?
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    TBH, I can't get too worked up about it. jo1jo.com is obviously a scam, probably trying to milk Google till they get caught and start a new one. It's pretty hard for me to believe that it could jeopardize anybody's sales. Now that doesn't mean that I approve. The owners of that site should be locked in a room and made to listen to a poor recording of Bolero performed by a gamelan ensemble at top volume on a crappy sound system for five to ten years. But really, the world has worse problems than pathetic two-bit frauds like this one. OTOH, I would be ecstatic if their dumb bot software copied this post. lol3.gif
  • Options
    Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    Hmmm...I don't know whether to be relieved or annoyed that they didn't farm any of my threads!
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    They are directing people away from your site, with your own images

How are they directing traffic off your site? That site is a forum (scamming forum, but forum nonetheless).

Didn't you find them by googling your name? How is this any different than coming up in search from dgrin or any other forum that you participate on?

I am not saying that they are right or shouldn't have their toenails removed with a pair of pliers, but in the overall scheme of stealing images, this one is pretty minor.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    SittingElfSittingElf Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    There are a number of things that can be done to stop them.

1. They are probably using a hacked version of VBulletin, so contact Jelsoft about potential pirating.
    2. Contact the Web Provider (or ISP) and state copyright violations. They HAVE to investigate and take action under US Law.
    3. Contact Google with the same info.

Aint' nothin that contacting the forum owner alone will solve, as he is clearly hacking multiple forums to post over 30,000 topics just today alone. The best solution is to get the Web Service Provider to shut them down.
    My Equipment:
    Bodies: Canon- 5D Mark II, 7D, 50D, SD780IS, Sony DSC F828, DSC F717,
    Lenses: Canon EF16-35/f2.8L, EF24-105/f4L, EF100-400L, EF 50mm/1.8 II, EF100/2,8L, EF85/1.8 USM, MP-E65/2.8 1-5X, 15mm Fisheye, 70-200/f2.8L II
    Lighting: Canon 580EXII, 430EXII, MT-24EX, MR-14EX, Sony Hi Power, YinYan BY-180B Studio Strobes (3), Coco Ring Flash Adapter.
    Stability
    :Manfrotto 055CXPRO3, 322RC2, 498RC2, 454 Macro Slider, 175F-1 Clamps
    Video: Canon XHA1, HV-20 (2), HV-30
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2011
    SittingElf wrote: »
    There are a number of things that can be done to stop them.

1. They are probably using a hacked version of VBulletin, so contact Jelsoft about potential pirating.
    2. Contact the Web Provider (or ISP) and state copyright violations. They HAVE to investigate and take action under US Law.
    3. Contact Google with the same info.

Aint' nothin that contacting the forum owner alone will solve, as he is clearly hacking multiple forums to post over 30,000 topics just today alone. The best solution is to get the Web Service Provider to shut them down.

thumb.gif

That's why I posted that info for Google and the ISP above. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2011
    Regardless, I am certain there are things that dgrin could do to protect us, or steps to take to prevent this is the future.

Other than report this site, what can dgrin do? You simply cannot stop people from stealing things. If you put something on the internet, it can be stolen not matter what you do. The best that you can do is limit the amount that is stolen and enforce your copyright when it is.
    I really dont understand how people can be so okay with people stealing from them, regardless if there is money involved.

In this particular case, this scam site is lifting threads, not individual images. If they were stealing your image and removing the watermark that would be an entirely different story.

As this site is probably a hacked site, what do you honestly expect to be done? If you want the contact info for my copyright attorney, I will be more than happy to pass that info along to you. You can then pay $500 an hour to find out that this is a hacked site and things like this happen.

Then you are going to pay $500 an hour to be told that you need to limit what you put on the internet. This isn't a dgrin thing, it is an internet thing.

Look at our site, we only show 150 of the more than 15,000 images that are on the site. We limit our exposure to theft on purpose.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    I will try to be a little more patient in waiting for a reply, but if I dont get some sort of response, if I am just ignored or shrugged off, I can see myself switching to a different hosting site over it all

I'm sorry you feel this way :(
    I've already communicated to the offender's provider, by emailing abuse@singlehop.com - you (and everyone) should do the same thing, that will help thumb.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,829 moderator
    edited February 24, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    I've already communicated to the offender's provider, by emailing abuse@singlehop.com - you (and everyone) should do the same thing.

Thanks!

To be clear, the site that we are objecting to is at:

http://en.jo1jo.com

... and the offense is flagrant theft of the material from DGrin.com and other websites. Evidence of the theft is at:

http://en.jo1jo.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2

I am also emailing the site host that Andy linked above and I hope everyone else does the same. Let's take this person down. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    To be clear, the site that we are objecting to is at:

... and the offense is flagrant theft of the material from DGrin.com and other websites. Evidence of the theft is at:

I am also emailing the site host that Andy linked above and I hope everyone else does the same. Let's take this person down. thumb.gif

I'm in...
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2011
    I'm in...

Thanks. Who's next?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2011
    If it makes it any easier for people, this is what I wrote. I hope I have the "essence" of the complaint correct...

I am writing to object about the blatant theft of forum posts and copyrighted
    photographs from the forum at DGrin.com and other websites.

The website that
    is committing this theft is hosted by yourselves...it is:

and evidence of theft can be found at

Theft of material in this manner
    is ruining the credibility of genuine photographers, and in some cases, due to
    the wholesale theft of LARGE quantities of material, is affecting genuine
    photographers standing on Google and other search engines, thus impacting
    negatively on their legitimate business.

I ask that you take the appropriate
    action to stop this activity being hosted by your company.

Thank You

Hope that's helpful. :)
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Thanks. Who's next?

I added my complaint also.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2011
    I added my complaint also.

Thanks. Let's hope they listen.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    I've already communicated to the offender's provider, by emailing abuse@singlehop.com - you (and everyone) should do the same thing, that will help thumb.gif

Thanks!

THANK YOU, I will send them a email
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2011
    THANK YOU, I will send them a email

Thanks. Let's keep the pressure on.
    ziggy53