Options

Marc Muench - SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Comments

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2011
    clap.gifclapclap.gif Thanks, Marc!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2011
    That was a hoot!
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    i-FPFgQSg-L.jpg

If your in the LA area (Santa Monica) between now and September, please visit the G2 Gallery where an exhibit is up on the Wildlands of Catalina. I have many pieces up including the image above at 60". My good friend "Captain Jack" Baldelli has many great pieces up as well.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2011
    Congrats, Marc! Best of luck with the exhibit to you and your friend, "Captain Jack." Some truly stunning work by both of you--I wish I could come see this exhibit and someday see Catalina.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2011
    A note regarding my workflow changes!

I wrote in my book Exploring North American Landscapes that I prefer to use Adobe Bridge while on a location shoot. BUT, I also wrote that my workflow changes OFTENdeal.gif
    And, it already has.....
    I now use Lightroom 3, both on location and in my studio. There are two reasons for this. First, it is a great way to get a head start on cataloging if there is time on location. Second, I now throughly understand (as much as I can) how to import - export both catalogs and images.
    Oh, and I also understand that it is very important to check this little box
    20110701-p8esydhu817f1n3513wis78yy5.jpg
    At the time, a year ago, when I wrote my book, Adobe had not mentioned that catalog size could be unlimited! This was another reason I had not converted from my expensive Canto Cumulus asset management software.
    I guess that is 3 reasonsne_nau.gif
    I wanted to share a few important Lightroom cataloging issues that seem to confuse manyheadscratch.gif

EVERYTHING you have ever shot, photographed, scanned or illustrated should be cataloged in THE SAME CATALOG!
    This way you are not clicking all over your computer universe to find stuff, and worst going in and out of LR and/or different LR catalogs.

When creating a catalog from scratch and your files are all over the universe, the first step is to collect all your assets (scanned files, camera files etc etc ) into one place. This place can be an external hard drive ( preferred ) but if not attempt to place everything within one drive or array of drives. This will make backups much simplerdeal.gif

LR stores everything in two folders on your local drive by default. Of course there is the application in the application folder also.
    The folder titled Lightroom, stores the LR catalog and backup folder.
    The folder titled (date), stores the assets or image files or their term = negatives.

You do not need to maintain the default negatives folder. In fact my negatives/assets are all on a RAID array which is connected to my tower. These negatives can be relocated from within LR if you move them outside of LR but this is a manual step you must remember to complete.

If you have a catalog started: add assets by moving them to their permanent resting place first then import.

Everything is stored by date in LR as a default. However, I encourage all to keyword upon import (common words to all in each import batch) followed by simple keywords of location or subject.
    This is the MAIN reason I use LRdeal.gif locating my images by keyword is KEY

I'll continue adding to this if you want me too or attempt to answer your questions if you have any!
    My inspiration for this is from helping many with this very boring cluster of organizational crap that must be done to have a successful LR program.

I am not sure of the best way to migrate from LR2 to LR3, as I never began using LR at that time because of the limited catalog size restriction.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    More Lightroom

Once you have all your negatives stored in dated folders, either in the default location (pictures folder > date) or custom location, the best way to create groups of images for specific jobs such as exporting is to use collections.

20110803-q27wq6rnstn6m2skjsiacgnxu4.jpg

Click the + symbol and create a new collection.

If you have a image selected then include this in collection, if you want.

To add additional images to the collection, simply drag and drop.

To delete images from a collection, simply click delete. This "ONLY" removes it from the collection!

Since these collections are stored in the Library file, dont forget to back up your catalogdeal.gif
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Hi Marc
    Welcome to LR3! A question and a comment:
    I had always read that catalogs in LR should not be unlimited. That, as catalog size grows, the speed of LR will decrease. I have ignored that and have a LR catalog of some 30,000+ images. I think breaking up catalogs makes a lot of sense for event shooters but is impractical for others. I do optimise my catalog when backing it up every time I quit LR. This is the very first time I heard that LR catalog size is not important though.

As for Collections, these are very powerful but just one point. The Collections will not save your pick flag outside of them. I use the pick flag to tag those images that are to be or have been processed. When it comes to photos of my kids - I'll delete a bunch and process some but keep some that have sentimental value but do not need to be processed/posted/shared. Those flags will only exist within a collection if set while the images were placed in one.

Hope that makes sense and please keep the info coming
    E
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Hi Marc
    Welcome to LR3! A question and a comment:
    I had always read that catalogs in LR should not be unlimited. That, as catalog size grows, the speed of LR will decrease.

As for Collections, these are very powerful but just one point. The Collections will not save your pick flag outside of them. Those flags will only exist within a collection if set while the images were placed in one.

E

Of course this is based on your computer as well, but I have over 140,000 files and still works like a charm.

Interesting about the flags, I only use ratings so that figures great to know!
    Also, I will add to this later but my workflow utilizes collections and ratings to do all I need. If I need another level I will create a collection set.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    In the hopes of expanding my repertoire of video possibilities I have been working on time-lapses in motion. Here is a highlight reel of a few.

i-sXb3HKs-L.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited August 4, 2011
    Which system are you using? Dynamic Perception? I'd like to see that with a equatorial mount or second access motor for the camera.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    Its called Omni Slider by Dito Gear so far it works like a charm, even the Sakata bugs like it:D

i-N3z2LVV-L.jpg

i-bZ7kWjF-M.jpg

and my assistant (son) waking up at 5am
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    Its called Omni Slider by Dito Gear so far it works like a charm, even the Sakata bugs like it:D

and my assistant (son) waking up at 5am

Where is his coffee? The SEIU contract says coffee will be available on early calls lol3.gif

The DG has much nicer control than the Dynamic Perception Stage Zero. They work similarly with respect to features. The Dynamic Perception uses an external belt drive (very similar to the plastic internal track on the DG) which is a bitch to thread through the camera platform. The belt could also break if it were caught on something as you moved it. Looks like you just drop the DG platform on the rail and away you go.

The Dynamic Perception controller is based on the Open MoCo software and provides control for two axis. Does the DG offer control of a second axis?
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    Awesome time lapse!
    Mind sharing the settings for the water on the beach? Would love to try that around here...
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Awesome time lapse!
    Mind sharing the settings for the water on the beach? Would love to try that around here...

If your referring to the fisheye shot, it was taken with a Sony video camera and sped up in FCP by 400%
    You could easily do this by simply shooting vid on your DSLR. This is one of the fun aspects of time-lapses, there are so many possibilitiesmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    Hmmm...no video on my Canon 50D...maybe I'll try that with really short intervals and see what happens.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    The Dynamic Perception controller is based on the Open MoCo software and provides control for two axis. Does the DG offer control of a second axis?

He's not union yet :D

The main reason I chose this rail was for its build and the fact that it moves fast enough to shoot live vid with. It is like a tank and that was key since I will be taking it into places where it could easily break. I am working on adding the Meade DS2000 head for making the other axis moves.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2011
    He's not union yet :D

The main reason I chose this rail was for its build and the fact that it moves fast enough to shoot live vid with. It is like a tank and that was key since I will be taking it into places where it could easily break. I am working on adding the Meade DS2000 head for making the other axis moves.

rolleyes1.gif

Yes. I would agree on the build quality. It's much nicer looking and potentially, much more durable. It's also about a grand more expensive too--we should compare notes later. I'm excited to see what you're able to do with the ds2000.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2011
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2011
    Regarding multiple catalogs in LR3, I am a firm believer in keeping everything simple and therefore, keeping everything in one catalog.

Here are some reasons:
    LR3 can only open one catalog at a time. This means if you have more than one catalog, you must exit your current catalog before entering another. I know if your like me, at some point you will forget what is in each catalogheadscratch.gif so you'll be opening and closing them often.

If you have only one catalog there is only one cat file to back up.

Having one very large catalog does not slow down LR3.

There are several very simple ways of keeping bodies of work categorized within one catalog.

Here are some basics for managing a "one catalog" workflow in LR3
    Make a tree of folders on your main HD or RAID.
    Year > shoot/job name > sometimes I separate vid and stills within the shoot.

Import images from each shoot/job into the appropriate folders only with these settings in the
    "Destinations" pull down within the import dialog. First click the parent "Year" folder then choose the
    check box "Into Subfolder" and enter the job/shoot name. Make sure you select the "into one folder"
    in the Organize pulldown as seen below.

20110816-ntrtwmr5rhficdh9fs9fmqhs3b.jpg

If you have done this properly you will always have a physical location for all your work that can easily be navigated even if LR3 vaporizes. The advantage here though, is when working within one catalog, you can always navigate to the shoot/job name in the "Folders" pulldown within the Library view. This will be your first choice for finding something if all else fails.

More to come, like flagging and rating within a shoot, and adding specific collections for various jobs that contain images from multiple shoots/jobs.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2011
    This is great...thanks for taking us through your thoughts/workflow with regards to LR
    I'll be sitting here waiting for the posts to come :lurk
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2011
    Marc's a wealth of information on Light Room. He's leading a class on the subject of LR. You can find more info here. I love Marc's teaching style and the flow of his classes. Well worth it to me.
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Thank you Mark for this explanation. :D
    I am not so sure if I have completely understood but it's my fault, I know.
    Anyway, the Destination doesn't appear in my LR. Perhaps because I am not importing images right now.

Excuse me, but I think one important matter is the way we organize our files and how we name them. The articulation of this matter with keywords is - for me - rather complicated and... simple at the same time.
    Paradoxal isn't it ?
    This is a subject we should have settled since the beginning - I have not done so :cry - and a very important one.
    I suppose we should think about managing files in a broader scale, like understanding the way layers work and what they do, their concept, instead of the particular attributes they can have.

I mean to understand the concept of organizing, naming and key wording files towards our goals and needs. Which should be - perhaps - established since the beginning.

The concept of Smart Collections is very interesting for example. They can collect a serie of images under a criteria extracted from the hole computer. Great. We are supposed to understand the concept before using this quality.

I am not sure if I made myself understand. I have tried. If you have not understood let me know and I will try to be more precise.

-

I don't like in LR the obligation of "Syncronizing the folders" every time I save files in CS.
    LR is not a file manager but likes us to think it is. mwink.gif It only makes half of the job. :cry
    We may have images that we don't see in LR because we have not done the synchronisation. This should be automatic like in Bridge in my humble opinion.

Thank you for reading and for your minutes. :D
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    Marc's a wealth of information on Light Room. He's leading a class on the subject of LR. You can find more info here. I love Marc's teaching style and the flow of his classes. Well worth it to me.

Thank you Ian:D
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2011
    Thank you Mark for this explanation. :D
    I am not so sure if I have completely understood but it's my fault, I know.
    Anyway, the Destination doesn't appear in my LR. Perhaps because I am not importing images right now.

Excuse me, but I think one important matter is the way we organize our files and how we name them. The articulation of this matter with keywords is - for me - rather complicated and... simple at the same time.
    Paradoxal isn't it ?
    This is a subject we should have settled since the beginning - I have not done so :cry - and a very important one.
    I suppose we should think about managing files in a broader scale, like understanding the way layers work and what they do, their concept, instead of the particular attributes they can have.

I mean to understand the concept of organizing, naming and key wording files towards our goals and needs. Which should be - perhaps - established since the beginning.

The concept of Smart Collections is very interesting for example. They can collect a serie of images under a criteria extracted from the hole computer. Great. We are supposed to understand the concept before using this quality.

I am not sure if I made myself understand. I have tried. If you have not understood let me know and I will try to be more precise.

-

I don't like in LR the obligation of "Syncronizing the folders" every time I save files in CS.
    LR is not a file manager but likes us to think it is. mwink.gif It only makes half of the job. :cry
    We may have images that we don't see in LR because we have not done the synchronisation. This should be automatic like in Bridge in my humble opinion.

Thank you for reading and for your minutes. :D

I think I understand your question,,,,, but might need a database to answer it properlyrolleyes1.gif

YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE who has this issuedeal.gif

Managing a database is like having children, they require a lot of input, with the main diff being, children give a lot more output mwink.gif

I believe Adobe decided upon the very best default method of organizing - date.

If you dont import it, you dont see it.
    Therefore, you must be vigilant about importing and especially the "WAY" you import. Bridge does not require this as it sees only one folder at a time, and all of its content, but does not see the big pictureeek7.gif

I believe my method is very simple. I dont even change the file names. I only change the file names of the "Great Ones" which go in my Archive. I only change the file names after editing. All other images retain their camera file name, only because I personally have no reason to change them at that point. Since they are all in a shoot/job folder within the year, I will always find them if for some reason I do not recall the file name.

For LR to work, it must see everything. If you are in PS and save a file, LR attaches a "-EDIT" to the end of the file and imports is automagically. However, if you "save as" you will have to import it later. This, I agree is a problem, but actually makes sense to me. What you are doing when you "save as" is exporting. Therefore, it is no longer in LR and LR assumes you dont want to manage it any longer. What I do, "save" the file with the EDIT attached to the original file name, then rename the file, if I must.

Folder sync is simply a way of keeping LR informed. If you move a previously cataloged folder on your computer outside of LR you will need to re-sync it. However, you can drag and drop folders from within LR, therefore no sync will be required.

LR really is a file organizer IMO! It is designed upon a open source code that has been around for years and utilizes what is called a relational database design. Every database I have ever worked with requires some type of "import". This process is very important. This is what informs the organizer what to organize and thus allows you to organize it in the way you wish. Two of the most common issues are individual data location and user input, with the later being the most significant. Many large databases require pulldowns so no typos or "human" errors screw up the system. ( great story about how Disney organizes their old film reels ) for another time..... The big problem is that many, including myself early on, had no clue what I wantedheadscratch.gif This is why I brought this beast out of the closet mwink.gif Every LR workshop I give, folks "very intelligent ones" have files all over their computers and not in LR?

Bridge is not a database and only a browser, therefore, no import is needed. However, Bridge does not have the ability to view outside of a single folder at a time, or you could say "Does not see outside of the box"

Antonio, I appreciate your questions and hope this will end up helping you enjoy LR more, as it really is a powerful program. My only issue with it, is that it became a separate program rather than replacing Bridgene_nau.gif
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Thank you Marc ! :D
    It was a pleasure to read your post. bowdown.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2011
    Another morning in Santa Barbara

• Options
    edited August 17, 2011
    Looks good. Did you get the Meade mount working?
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2011
    Great job with the video Marc thumb.gif
    The waves coming under the camera are both very cool and exceptionally well done and, at the same time, scare me! One rogue wave....
    This is all straight video right? No timelapsing?
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2011
    Nothing yet Ian! But I have bids on a few in Ebay

Thanks Eyal, You are correct, all shot in video at 30fps.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    Beautiful video, Marc! I found it mesmerizing and calming. Nice music selection too.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com