Options

Marc Muench - SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Great image. I bet the whole family is happy!

Sam
  • Options
    Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Happy for my dad! This image of his was selected by the ILCP to auction off at Cristies as one of the top 40 nature images of all time.

I love that image. I had the opportunity a few years back to attend a one-day workshop by your dad. It was a great experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Hello

I've been preoccupied with a few projects lately, but like the seasons, I am back again with some pent up photo anxiety!
    In the midst of remodeling a space in my house for my new "home office" I managed to get to Kauai for our annual family trip. I don't care what they say about time-shares, I really like ours.

957140023_pgWWA-L.jpg
    Beach out in front!

Close to some great landscapes.
    957140017_YXLhQ-L.jpg

My studio in progress.......
    957131129_zCa9w-L.jpg

Now, with most of the work done, I sit in eager anticipation of something new. I am a bit excited about this small new beginning, as if by "my remodel" the US economy will rebound!
    I still find it soothing and refreshing to be able to change things up. The fact is, the times have changed and the space Muench Photography once needed to house the original film is no longer needed. I even donated our drum scanner to the Santa Barbara Museum of Art since they could use it to scan a bunch of chromes of older works. There is much great work being done by so many photographers that I am excited to get back into taking pictures rather than so much other fuss. It appears most of you submitting to dgrin have been busy, as I have been looking on occasion and look forward to spending more time soon. My book is almost complete, with captions to write I am thrilled to enjoy such misery!
    957131142_xXhfc-M.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited August 3, 2010
    Lookin' nice thumb.gif You just need some art work on the walls :)
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    I've been wondering what you have been up to...
    has sending kids to college opened up room? lol3.gif I cant wait to do the same thing.

Marc, have you thought about doing some post processing /workflow workshops?
    (I've been patiently waiting)

The new office looks very nice and the Kauai images are amazing...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    Somehow I'm not surprised that great landscapes are right outside your regular vacation spot. lol3.gif

Even I'm sentimental about the departure of your smoothie machine... er, drum scanner.

Looking forward to your book release!
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »

15524779-Ti.gif Let us know when it's available for pre-order :D

Also - that second landscape is incredible, and the home office is looking good!
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »

Thanks Ian. I learned how to hang a patio dooreek7.gif and throw some mud, and slap some drywall up. I even learned how to rip a boardrolleyes1.gif

Now it is time for some art
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    I've been wondering what you have been up to...
    has sending kids to college opened up room? lol3.gif I cant wait to do the same thing.

Marc, have you thought about doing some post processing /workflow workshops?
    (I've been patiently waiting)

The new office looks very nice and the Kauai images are amazing...

Aaron,
    I still have two in da house!

Working on getting a location here in town for some more photoshop/print workshops. Will keep you posted!
    Maybe I should just move the office to Kauaimwink.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »

I have some.
  • Options
    Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »

Also - that second landscape is incredible, and the home office is looking good!
    Ditto what Ron said.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Somehow I'm not surprised that great landscapes are right outside your regular vacation spot. lol3.gif

Even I'm sentimental about the departure of your smoothie machine... er, drum scanner.

No more high res smoothiesrolleyes1.gif Actually, they may let us borrow it if need be.
    My wife and I had been to many time share presentations over the years and only went to look when we had time to kill. Nothing, and I mean nothing ever interested us until this one. I was sold when during the tour, the salesman walked us through the garden and while walking along I began peering up into the sky. There were the most perfect puffers floating by as if made up just for the presentation. After walking around for about 20 minutes while he blathered on about how cool the place was, I finally looked down at him and having not heard a word of what he said about anything I said, we'll take one! It was the clouds. Every time we have been back the very same clouds float by all day long, interrupted by the occasional rainbow.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »

Thanks Ron, I'll do just that!
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Great shots, Marc. I love the first one. So what is the new book about? And if we order do we at least get an autographed copy rolleyes1.gif?
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    If you hold a workshop in Kauai, I will be there! Or maybe even if you hold it in California....:D (Gee, how 'bout San Antonio--we have a few landscapes around here too.)

Thanks for showing the pic of your studio, Marc--now we can visualize where you are when you are perusing our posts. Looks like a nice place to work when you are not outside shooting.

Like everyone else, awaiting the book! Congrats on all the exciting goings-on with you!

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Great shots, Marc. I love the first one. So what is the new book about? And if we order do we at least get an autographed copy rolleyes1.gif?

The book is all about photography! And yes, I will be happy to autograph as many copies as humanly possible.
    I have made the book lessons present my entire workflow, with philosophical injections when appropriate.
    Providing the world does not run out of pulp, the book should be out in Novthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    redleash wrote: »
    If you hold a workshop in Kauai, I will be there! Or maybe even if you hold it in California....:D (Gee, how 'bout San Antonio--we have a few landscapes around here too.)

Thanks for showing the pic of your studio, Marc--now we can visualize where you are when you are perusing our posts. Looks like a nice place to work when you are not outside shooting.

Like everyone else, awaiting the book! Congrats on all the exciting goings-on with you!

Cheers,
    Lauren

Thank you Lauren
    Can't beat the commute:D
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    957131142_xXhfc-M.jpg

Something wrong with that monitor of yours… the glass seems curved mwink.gif
  • Options
    philtographyphiltography Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Happy for my dad! This image of his was selected by the ILCP to auction off at Cristies as one of the top 40 nature images of all time.
    I wanted to look at the image but it seems to be private?
    Phillip Norman Photography
    http://www.phillipnorman.com
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2010
    My annual Lobster hunt was filled with high winds and surf ne_nau.gif
    Unlike most years when we only visit one particular location "crawling with bugs" we sailed West in the hopes of finding calmer waters and more secret locations. The large South swell followed us, and then finally 40 knot North winds kept us from getting into any new spots or even on shore in most cases. We did manage to beach the dingy on Santa Rosa Island for the afternoon. It may look calm but looks can be deceiving.

1039014780_AK4gc-L.jpg

I did came away with 5 - 2 pound bugs:D I will have no problem dipping them in plenty of hot butter since I lost about 5 lbs during the first 30hrs on the boat trowing up from slow developing sea legs.
    This has been a very odd year along the Pacific coast due to cold waters and cloudy conditions. The water was full of plankton making the vis terrible and green. It even rained for the first time in 20 years of making this trip.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2010
    I miss multi-day lobster trips :)
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    really like that foreground plant !

Lovely shot:)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    Lovely weather (at least from this end) and glad to hear the hunt was worth it. Sorry to hear about the sickness!
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    I have finally completed a 20 day assignment for the National Park Service which included 8 days in May and 12 in October. The project was to document and illustrate the Natchez Trace Parkway, all 450 miles of it! The Superintendent warned me that at 50mph (speed limit) it takes a fair bit of time to drive the entire parkway. I have many good memories, 300 gigs of stills and video and a sore tush. The most amazing coincidence was the wild weather on both trips. In May I was greeted with Mississippi's worst tornado, an oil spill just to the south in the Gulf and about " 2 million" inches of rain that fell on Nashville in 12 hours delaying my flight. Then in October a storm rolled through bringing with it the lowest low pressure ever recorded in a land storm. There were storm chasers staying in the same hotel with us, which is never a good signeek7.gif

Here are a few highlights.

The Natchez Trace Parkway
    1073855956_F5uXr-M.jpg

The Trace floating in the fog

1073856566_xp9NX-M.jpg

The old or sunken Trace, as it still appears from the thousands of travelers who carved the earth on their way back and fourth from Natchez to Nashville in the early 1800's
    1073854352_sRiqf-L.jpg

One of the southern birds that tried to bite my head off
    1073847502_U8fVK-M.jpg

The trees lopped off by the tornado where it crossed the Trace
    1073848337_MPm7B-M.jpg

One real old barn which might not be there for long
    1073848097_doD62-M.jpg

My 7D living on the edge/hood.... to get video
    1073847674_RRQse-S.jpg

And another stormy road shot
    1073852892_EnxjT-M.jpg

The tupelo swamp
    1073855586_9mmBS-L.jpg

my face after being bitten in the swamp
    1073849186_pHT76-M.jpg
    My lip did recover!

Mounds in the mist, made by Indians to separate the chief from the wrest!
    1073857353_9ikBJ-L.jpg

More to come....
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2010
    Sounds like an amazing opportunity to capture NTP. Pretty awesome!
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    thumb.gif
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited November 2, 2010
    Wow, Marc! Can't wait to see the next set.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Then in October a storm rolled through bringing with it the lowest low pressure ever recorded in a land storm. There were storm chasers staying in the same hotel with us, which is never a good signeek7.gif

Are you kidding? That's a great sign! :D We chased that same system for a few days here in TX before it pushed on East.

Awesome images! Especially love the mood of that last one. Thanks for sharing!

James
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Hi Marc,

I viewed, with great interest, what you have shown so far of the Trace. A couple of years ago, I traveled the entire route on my motorcycle. It was a trip I had anticipated for quite some time. Sadly, it was, generally, a disappointing experience.

Perhaps I was expecting the Trace to be more like the Blue Ridge Parkway....all kinds of swoops and swirls and elevation changes. As you well know, you don't get much of that until you get close to Nashville.

The highlight of the trip, for me, was visiting the Civil War sites along the way. That and some scrumptious food at the place called French Camp. I sure hope you got to enjoy some of their righteous cooking.

I eagerly await more of your photos.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    EnlightphotoEnlightphoto Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Marc:

Wonderful images. Thanks for sharing here. The bridge and road shots are great. (I love road photos FWIW)

Cheers!